Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Georgia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=750)
-   -   How long does it normally take to be approved for visitation in Georgia? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720800)

PinkOwl2 12-18-2019 12:42 PM

How long does it normally take to be approved for visitation in Georgia?
 
I sent my paper work in before Nov 27 and I was told today it would take up to 3 to 4 weeks. Sadly that's after Christmas which totally sucks. 3 weeks is this Friday.

I've also heard it depends on what they use in order to process it. To me it shouldnt take that long to do a back ground check. Especially if your background is completely clean like mine is.

I was told they received it and it was being processed. But to me it shouldnt take that long. I guess it takes longer than we want. Especially when you haven't seen the person in 4 or more months.

patchouli 12-18-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlFindAWay (Post 7804798)
I sent my paper work in before Nov 27 and I was told today it would take up to 3 to 4 weeks. Sadly that's after Christmas which totally sucks. 3 weeks is this Friday.

I've also heard it depends on what they use in order to process it. To me it shouldnt take that long to do a back ground check. Especially if your background is completely clean like mine is.

I was told they received it and it was being processed. But to me it shouldnt take that long. I guess it takes longer than we want. Especially when you haven't seen the person in 4 or more months.


Every state is a tad different. Where is your LO incarcerated? What state?


PinkOwl2 12-18-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchouli (Post 7804802)
Every state is a tad different. Where is your LO incarcerated? What state?

They are up in north Georgia

GingerM 12-19-2019 06:25 AM

Unfortunatley, 4 - 6 weeks is pretty normal. :( I'm sorry about Christmas and will cross my fingers that you get an early Christmas present and get approved before Christmas instead of after.

PinkOwl2 12-20-2019 08:00 AM

Since people dont get in a rush and it doesn't matter to the people who work there, I highly doubt I'll get approved. because 4 weeks is Dec 26. So I dont see anything happening til new years or after anyways.

PinkOwl2 12-23-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerM (Post 7804863)
Unfortunatley, 4 - 6 weeks is pretty normal. :( I'm sorry about Christmas and will cross my fingers that you get an early Christmas present and get approved before Christmas instead of after.

Does paper work for visitation have a deadline for when it had to be turned in so we could see them by Christmas or no?

patchouli 12-23-2019 07:08 PM

The only deadline I know of is that the paperwork has to be turned in and approved before your first visit. However,, the date of that first visit is up to you...so it really depends on how soon you want to visit your loved one ;)


EDIT: If you're going to do this journey with your loved one, you'll really need to develop an abundance of patience. Every thing DOC is "hurry up & wait."

PinkOwl2 12-24-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchouli (Post 7805259)
The only deadline I know of is that the paperwork has to be turned in and approved before your first visit. However,, the date of that first visit is up to you...so it really depends on how soon you want to visit your loved one ;)


EDIT: If you're going to do this journey with your loved one, you'll really need to develop an abundance of patience. Every thing DOC is "hurry up & wait."

Never done anything like this before and heck anything you want in life you have to be patient and wait

GaReform 12-25-2019 02:16 PM

I'm sorry you weren't given the ok in time for Christmas. Just tell yourself that that 1st visit will be a reason to celebrate. I was trying to remember how long it took us to get approved but I seem to think it was several weeks or more. They do background check plus your loved one needs to be settled in as well. It depends too on how quickly they turned in their visitation list. The holidays always delay thing. My son put in a request to transfer to a TC in November. He kept asking but was told it had gone through the facility approval & was sent to the DOC to approve. Somehow it got lost there & wasn't until I made repeated calls that they found it & processed it almost 2 months later.

You could always call the DOC & ask if the visitation has been approved. Call 404-656-4661 for inmate info & you could also try calling the Office of Family Advocacy if the 1st people don't help. The advocacy office # is 478-992-5358.
Here's a link to the visitation Q & A.http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/de...ion_FAQs_0.pdf


PinkOwl2 12-29-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaReform (Post 7805400)
I'm sorry you weren't given the ok in time for Christmas. Just tell yourself that that 1st visit will be a reason to celebrate. I was trying to remember how long it took us to get approved but I seem to think it was several weeks or more. They do background check plus your loved one needs to be settled in as well. It depends too on how quickly they turned in their visitation list. The holidays always delay thing. My son put in a request to transfer to a TC in November. He kept asking but was told it had gone through the facility approval & was sent to the DOC to approve. Somehow it got lost there & wasn't until I made repeated calls that they found it & processed it almost 2 months later.


[/url]


Thank you.

I was told my paper work made the deadline and has been in processing since the beginning of December. and I've talked to multiple people. It's just the waiting that's hard to do.

PinkOwl2 01-24-2020 08:55 PM

es/Visitation_FAQs_0.pdf"]
[/url][/quote]




Had to change my id because i forgot the other one but hes been gone for 6 mths now and paper work has been in processing for working on 3 mths. Thats 12 weeks or more

GingerM 01-25-2020 08:02 AM

With the holidays, they probably got behind in approving applications. Typically it takes 4 - 6 weeks, sometimes as long as 8 weeks. I know the waiting is awful.

If you don't hear from anyone (including your loved one) by Feb 1, you might want to call them to see what's going on. I had an application of mine get lost. Had to start all over again. :(

PinkOwl2 01-26-2020 08:25 PM

We hear from my loved one twice a week if not more. But for it to be going on 3 mths and still not approved for visitation its bs.

They told me to call Tuesday Jan 28 and speak to someone up the ladder so we'll see how this goes.

My loved one told us a week or so ago that his counselor told him that they had stopped doing back ground checks for a while and then started back up again. So no idea what's going on. I was told by someone at the prison that it shouldnt be taken this long and they've tried to help out best they can. I dont blame them at all. It's who they are using as a background check and plus my background is crystal clean.

GaReform 01-29-2020 08:09 PM

I suggest reaching out to the National Incarceration Association. They're based in the Atlanta area & can help get your answer. I know that Family Day is 1-31 & that's when families/people on their loved ones approved visitation list can go to meet with DOC to ask questions. The NIA will be attending that & can check into why there's a delay.
Here is a link to the contact section of their site. You can fill out the form & also scroll to the bottom of the page to get their # & call instead. https://joinnia.com/contact-us

PinkOwl2 02-19-2020 12:23 PM

[quote=GaReform;7809094]I suggest reaching out to the National Incarceration Association. They're based in the Atlanta area & can help get your answer. I know that Family Day is 1-31 & that's when families/people on their loved ones approved visitation list can go to meet ]

Ive tried to email but all that comes up is an error message

GaReform 02-21-2020 10:05 AM

[quote=PinkOwl2;7811113]
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaReform (Post 7809094)
I suggest reaching out to the National Incarceration Association. They're based in the Atlanta area & can help get your answer. I know that Family Day is 1-31 & that's when families/people on their loved ones approved visitation list can go to meet ]

Ive tried to email but all that comes up is an error message

Sorry, just saw your response. I'll let them know there's a problem. In the meantime you can call them at 470-869-2966. They are also on Facebook if you want to reach out.https://www.facebook.com/joinNIA/


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online