Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Spiritual Connection (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   How important is religion to your relationship? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535439)

FastCarGirl 03-24-2011 09:43 PM

How important is religion to your relationship?

I'm a pretty strong Christian, my guy isn't, but is learning and is starting to believe again and wants to have faith again. I'm just curious how important religion is to your relationship?

MIKAER 03-24-2011 10:07 PM

My guy is, and I was a little, but through all we have walked through I have learned a lot about faith. We aren't so much about religion we are about relationship with God through pray and obedience... for us it's:

1) God
2) recovery
3) relationship (unless he has baseball practice...lol)

I get a tickle about how his faith in God reflects his behavior in prison, all his guys pray, they prayed for a councilor that was injured on the job. Stepping out of self is a big part of the preparation to re-enter society. They have to learn that life isn't about self gratification,(me-me-me) it's about helping others through love.

patient4him 03-24-2011 10:08 PM

My boyfriend and I are both Christians different denominations though, I'm Methodist and he's Baptist. We both believe in the God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son, the Holy Ghost and all that good stuff. But even before I met him, his faith in God has been on a downhill slope. He feels like God doesn't really love him because of the situation he's in. I'm praying for him to regain his faith.

LadyBlackz 03-24-2011 10:09 PM

Well the extent of our religiousness...I know its not a word but I couldnt think of what I wanted to say...so anyway we are both baptized catholic, did our first communion...and that was it. We dont go to church...we dont talk about God or anything. Me personally, I believe what I believe but I dont force it on him. He doesnt believe and doesnt force it on me.
So were good. :) Were not interested in getting married in the church...lets just go to Vegas and get it done with! :)

FastCarGirl 03-24-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patient4him (Post 6046828)
My boyfriend and I are both Christians different denominations though, I'm Methodist and he's Baptist. We both believe in the God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son, the Holy Ghost and all that good stuff. But even before I met him, his faith in God has been on a downhill slope. He feels like God doesn't really love him because of the situation he's in. I'm praying for him to regain his faith.

Thanks for sharing....that's kind of what I'm going through as well. We were both raised Catholic, I'm Baptist now and he's "not very Catholic". He went for a long stretch feeling like God just isn't there and doesn't love him. I've been praying for my guy as well, and he's started going to church and praying for me and us and says he's starting to believe again that God really is there. So there is hope! :) Just keep showing him God's love through you and keep praying for him! :)

LeStrange 03-24-2011 10:19 PM

Not at all important. We're both not religious BUT he is a "believer in Christ and God but me not so.

MIKAER 03-24-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patient4him (Post 6046828)

That happens a lot, my church is part of a world wide program for addicts, and has a lot of parole's. Some come feeling like God is punishing them or God forgot them when actually God is right there with them every day.... Keep your faith, don't give up.

nvr.alone 03-24-2011 10:39 PM

My baby and I were both raised Catholic, but never really understood that God wants to be intimately involved in our lives and desires that we seek Him constantly in all things. My baby began his walk with the Lord soon after his incarceration at 16 and he is the one who brought me to a new understanding of Christ as my Lord. It has been almost 16 yrs and he would not have made it without his faith and God's mercy and strength. Yes, there are times when he feels that God has abandoned him, but as we grow together in our spiritual maturity, we realize that God wants to bring about in our character things which He could not bring about any other way. You cannot learn endurance if you have nothing to endure. You cannot learn patience without the lessons which teach us to trust in God alone and wait patiently for His response. It doesn't always come quick and it doesn't always make sense to us, but God's will is always good, pleasing, and perfect. God's tough lessons are for our best. We are not of this world. Our true home is in heaven. And so we learn to seek what God wants for us in this life. We learn to give rather than take. We learn to learn and to love, and that true transformation can only be achieved by the power of the One who gives us breath and life, and sunshine and grace, and strength for a new day, and hope for a better tomorrow.

Love this thread. Thanx for letting me share.:)

SweetJRZPea 03-24-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastCarGirl (Post 6046794)
I'm a pretty strong Christian, my guy isn't, but is learning and is starting to believe again and wants to have faith again. I'm just curious how important religion is to your relationship?

There is not an option : RELIGION IS IMPORTANT TO HIM, BUT YOU STRUGGLE!

My fiance is the one who has faith in GOD and whatnot, and I really try to get into it- and some days are better than others, but now Im on a "loss of faith" kick because it is all new to me and I don't know how this works. Believing in God is so hard for me, so it will be a relationship he is going to have to walk ME through. Although it is very important to him, it's not an issue between us,and I wouldn't consider us as having different religions either.

FastCarGirl 03-24-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr.alone (Post 6046873)
My baby and I were both raised Catholic, but never really understood that God wants to be intimately involved in our lives and desires that we seek Him constantly in all things. My baby began his walk with the Lord soon after his incarceration at 16 and he is the one who brought me to a new understanding of Christ as my Lord. It has been almost 16 yrs and he would not have made it without his faith and God's mercy and strength. Yes, there are times when he feels that God has abandoned him, but as we grow together in our spiritual maturity, we realize that God wants to bring about in our character things which He could not bring about any other way. You cannot learn endurance if you have nothing to endure. You cannot learn patience without the lessons which teach us to trust in God alone and wait patiently for His response. It doesn't always come quick and it doesn't always make sense to us, but God's will is always good, pleasing, and perfect. God's tough lessons are for our best. We are not of this world. Our true home is in heaven. And so we learn to seek what God wants for us in this life. We learn to give rather than take. We learn to learn and to love, and that true transformation can only be achieved by the power of the One who gives us breath and life, and sunshine and grace, and strength for a new day, and hope for a better tomorrow.

Love this thread. Thanx for letting me share.:)

Thank you for sharing. I tell my guy and he can start seeing it now everything happens for a reason. He and I both had to screw up a lot for us to even ever meet. I fully believe God works all things towards His good. I used to counsel my clients that prison was like the ultimate Godly time out, the only thing they have control over is themselves. They can walk out of there the same or they can be different. :)

bebegrl 03-24-2011 10:59 PM

I respect all religions. We haven't talked about religion that much together. I believe in being a good person, doing the right things, not hurt anybody and try helping when help is needed.

FastCarGirl 03-24-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetJRZPea (Post 6046875)
There is not an option : HE HAS FAITH IN HIS RELIGION, BUT YOU DONT

My fiance is the one who has faith and I really try to get into it and some days are better than others, but now Im on a "loss of faith" kick because it is all new to me and I don't know how this works. Believing in God is so hard for me, so it will be a relationship he is going to have to walk ME through LOL

Thanks for sharing...I guess "different religions" and problem or not would be the closest....he has faith and your agnostic or atheist or whatever your parents were (which was me for a long time, I was raised Catholic but wanted nothing to do with church or religion for a good decade).

I don't know if this will help you at all, but for me, even when I was fairly skeptical about the hypocrisy of organized religion, I always believed in God because of ameobas. I was always amazed at how much it took for those single celled organizims under a microscope to survive and how everthing had to be in place for it to work. And that was just one cell. Multiply that to the complexity of a human....and I just never saw how that could be random chance. So that's my a-ha moment. But everyone has to follow their own path. :)

Temeron0926 03-25-2011 12:10 AM

Ray was raised Catholic (not active) and I was raised Nazarene. Neither of us believes in organized religion. We both have our own beliefs, mostly the same, and we both have our own relationship with God. That is between him and God, and God and I, no one else. We have discussed this a bit, but we generally don't. So, no, religion is not important in our relationship.

Erics4ever 03-25-2011 01:16 AM

He has been Muslim since 13 and I was raised as a Christian. I am in the process of learning more about his faith so that I have a clearer understanding. On some things we think alike, on some we don't but there is always respect there. Even with different faiths, we always know that it's faith first before anything and this works for us.

akaptrosa 03-25-2011 03:54 AM

We are both Christians. Him and God are tightlikethis. I am working on getting that close with God. I believe it plays a HUGE role in our relationship. He has known the Bible inside and out for many years, but now, I see him applying it more than ever. If it wasn't for God working inside him, I think he would have acted a fool by now at some of the things I have done since he's been locked up. (Don't let your mind wander too much on that one... I'm not THAT bad! lol) I also believe that upon his release, religion is going to play a huge role in keeping him on the right path. We'll see!

Ohusillywabbit 03-25-2011 04:01 AM

My mans spiritual hes Buddhist, but it dosn't play a major part in our relationship because he knows I can't bear to have religion rubbed in my face. But I do respect him & his beliefs !

Kbomb21 03-25-2011 05:52 AM

I am not at all religious. I dont ever put thought to it.. And Ive never been to Church, other than when i was baptised as a newborn.
He has been to church in his life but is not overly religious. We dont talk about it, its never come up.

lil peep 03-25-2011 06:26 AM

We share the same beliefs. I was raised Catholic, always went to church and his grandma was Catholic so he knows what they believe. At this point though, I'm going to a different church which I love and he doesn't really feel the need to go to church. He likes doing his own thing which is fine with me. We've talked about it alot. I've been in a place where someone doesn't respect your beliefs/show respect for it/has no interest in it and it's hard! So if it's important to you and you haven't talked about it, bring it up!

WaitingOnEddie 03-25-2011 07:21 AM

We are both 'Christians'--I put it that way because while we both believe in God and Christ, we also believe that other aspects of other religions may be true and correct. I was raised Mormon, he was raised Baptist. In general, we both have very different views concerning religion than most people...but we share the same views as each other.

We are also big 'debaters'. We discuss religion frequently and explore different areas of religions. So, it's not a sore subject for us at all...we both enjoy hearing each others thoughts and opinions about things.

As far as if it's important or not. I think with both of our personalities, it would be difficult for either of us to be with someone that didn't share at least the same basic core beliefs as us. So, yes, in a sense it is important. But that's not saying he has to be a certain religion or do things my way because as long as he is being honest and virtuous and trying to better himself, that is really all that matters.

MrsZ-Unit 03-25-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastCarGirl (Post 6046794)

I LOVE this about my hubby! He isnt a bible thumper and neither am i but we do both have faith and believe. We are strong christians. When things are stressful he always tells me "it may sound silly but you gotta lean on God babe" I wrote a prayer for him and i and at 1030pm every night (when theyve locked down) we pray the prayer i wrote and its like us praying together. He tells me everyday he prays for us....just 2 days ago we had a dissagreement and he called later and said "i was walking back from chow and let the guys walk ahead of me and it was so sunny out and i just started praying for us and that we would always love eachother like we do now and we would be together forever" :) I cant wait for him to be home...actually pray together and go to church!

esteli 03-25-2011 09:24 AM

Very important for me! He must confess with his mouth that Jesus is the Son of God. He if doesn't, or doesn't get it, doesn't believe it, any doesn't aspect of that, then I'm truly not interested in a relationship with him.

jenilynn 03-25-2011 09:31 AM

It's not important in our relationship. I believe in God and am spiritual, and he doesn't know how to feel. Like LadyBlackz, I have my own beliefs and thoughts and i'm sure he does as well, but we'll never force them on eachother. He's cool with me going to church if that's what I choose as long as he get's to stay home and watch sports =p It works for us.

Onedaycloser13 03-25-2011 09:49 AM

Religion has proven to be very important in our relationship, we are both Christians..two different denominations. We have had to learn to walk in our own religion but to be very open and tolerant of each others religious beliefs. Not really converting or anything, but understanding we have differences, and respecting them.

Snowbaby62 03-25-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteli (Post 6047461)
Very important for me! He must confess with his mouth that Jesus is the Son of God. He if doesn't, or doesn't get it, doesn't believe it, any doesn't aspect of that, then I'm truly not interested in a relationship with him.

God blessed me with a man who loves the Lord and not only that but has a good relationship with Him as well. I can't even imagine going through a situation such as this w/o my faith. So I voted, we share the same faith and it's important to us.

HesMyForever 03-27-2011 12:14 AM

We are both Muslim (I wasn't when I met him, but after researching it for a year or so, I felt that what I had learned was true, and I converted)...and I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, even if things didn't work out 'tween us for some reason....I would not even contemplate dating, let alone marrying, a non-Muslim.

I love listening to m'love recite Qur'an to me in Arabic; and I look forward to the day when we can offer our obligatory prayer together; and I look forward to fasting and breaking fast with him. Our faith is very important to us both.