Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headed to Prison (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Soon to be inmate (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719276)

ewswim2636 08-09-2019 06:14 PM

Soon to be inmate

Hi

I'm a female and soon to be inmate. Does anyone know if the sex and drugs are as common as they are portrayed in the TV show Orange is the New Black.

cal1927 08-13-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewswim2636 (Post 7788872)
Hi

I'm a female and soon to be inmate. Does anyone know if the sex and drugs are as common as they are portrayed in the TV show Orange is the New Black.

While I'm a male and a former "resident" in a men's FCI for 4+ years, I wouldn't take any show's depiction as a blanket depiction of prison life. Every institution has its own "vibe". My experience was that yes, drugs do exist within Federal prisons. I've never done drugs in my life and never will, but I knew others in my time there that were. There are ways that drugs make it into prisons, but it was never out in the open. As far as sexual behavior, that is specifically outlawed in federal prisons, but it does happen. Better not be caught at it, though. Get ready for not only getting a shot, but for going on a "diesel therapy" trip.

Best of luck to you. Hope your stay is not too long. I promise you, though, it will be eye-opening. You'll never believe the crap that you'll see in prison, and you'll never believe the country you grew up in could ever allow what goes on regarding the abuse & devaluation of human life that you'll see. Seek God's loving grace and help in your time "down".

Ex Con 5 08-13-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Hi

I am sure all prison's are different. Drugs are available unfortunately, but it is a choice to stay away from them. Do you know how much time you are going to serve and what state?

fbopnomore 08-13-2019 05:12 PM

From my observations, I have yet to see a prison TV show, "reality" or "fiction" that wasn't hugely exaggerated when compared to regular prison life. That's what they are selling.

The most bizarre so far was OZ.

Ex Con 5 08-13-2019 05:14 PM

You are right, they try to glamorize it and one will find out that that is not the case. It is hard emotionally and mentally and whatever goes with it. If you want to chat before you go in then message me. I have plenty of experience in the system and maybe it can help you out. Take care.

Brian

Firebrand 08-13-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Hi

Be yourself....that's all any of us can do when we're faced with going to prison. Prison is a popular pre occupation and money maker in Hollywood. Are there truths that Hollywood reveals or portrays? There are many truths, not just the ones in Hollywood?

Your truth and mindset should be "I CAN DO THIS. OTHERS BEFORE ME WHO ARE LESS THE WOMAN THAN I AM NOW HAVE DONE AND MADE IT HOME. IF THEY CAN THEN, I CAN DO IT. I'M DETERMINED TO BE A BETTER PERSON BECAUSE OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN AND NOT A LESSER ONE. YOU CAN DO THIS. LOVE. "

ewswim2636 08-14-2019 07:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I know it's a TV show but it shows a lot of staff members taking advantage of inmates and having sex with them. That's what I'm worried about. Also, are strip searches done in groups or in private? And what happens if you have your period during a strip search?

fbopnomore 08-14-2019 08:53 AM

Each prison/prison system has their own rules, so what you will experience depends on where you will serve your sentence.

safran 08-14-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbopnomore (Post 7789368)
Each prison/prison system has their own rules, so what you will experience depends on where you will serve your sentence.

Since shes in DC Im guessing federal.

fbopnomore 08-14-2019 01:45 PM

That would definitely be preferable to the DC Jail.

ewswim2636 08-14-2019 06:01 PM

You're right. I will eventually end up in the federal system because the crime occurred in DC. My lawyer is not 100% sure where I will eventually end up.

safran 08-14-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbopnomore (Post 7789402)
That would definitely be preferable to the DC Jail.

This is true!

ATL2013 08-16-2019 05:08 PM

Prison is hours and days of total boredom interrupted by a sudden few minutes of WTF, then back to days of boredom and routine. Most of the time the WTF moment has nothing to do with you, but you see it happen. Eventually it will have something to do with you.

My free tips that are of proper value...

Don’t gamble... for the love of God...

Don’t do drugs and that won’t be a problem

Nothing is free, expect to have to pay back what’s given. *most* inmates aren’t dicks about this, but the piper will come calling eventually. “Hey remember that time I gave u a such and such...” it’s prison, and at some point everyone needs something now, like stationary, or commissary...

Stay out of the tv room; it’s a mois Isley Star Wars wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Read books

Don’t talk to staff; BoP is the DMV with even less helpful staff, and other inmates will think you’re snitching. Nothing good will come out of it.

Don’t play team sports, you’ll get hurt and a doctors visit requires weeks of waiting for poor treatment. Regular exercise like Jogging and yoga is fine.

Ex Con 5 08-22-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Hi

Drugs are everywhere depending on where you serve time. Don't get hyped up into all of these TV shows. They do not portray the experience you will truly go through. Sex ia nother matter. It depends on what you are talking about. I served time in Virginia. Rape was not common or I never heard of it but a few times. Sex between staff or with other inmates (consensual) is more common. How much time do you have to serve or do you know?

Bikerguy 08-22-2019 08:46 AM

As a correctional officer I am not going to lie I did binge watch OITNB.

But it is not an accurate portrayal of prison life. Every situation is an over exaggeration of the actual prison experience. Yes there is sex and drugs. Yes there are dirty Staff members. But it's just not like it is in the show. The book is a better representation of prison life.

Ex Con 5 08-22-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikerguy (Post 7790340)
As a correctional officer I am not going to lie I did binge watch OITNB.

But it is not an accurate portrayal of prison life. Every situation is an over exaggeration of the actual prison experience. Yes there is sex and drugs. Yes there are dirty Staff members. But it's just not like it is in the show. The book is a better representation of prison life.

I agree with you 100%

bellisq 08-24-2019 07:34 PM

You could check out Piper Kerman's prison memoir, Orange is the New Black, is great. She had a decent career and a great support system (her charges came 6 years after her charge). She also had some transitions because she had to testify and was on diesel therapy for part of her sentence. It's certainly more factual than the show.

wintermisk 09-02-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikerguy (Post 7790340)

I came here to say the same thing. I've only watched the first few series of OITNB - after my daughter went to jail I found it FAR to hard to watch and honestly I didn't like it so much anyway, but I used to watch it because one of my best friends is a huge fan. Don't believe everything you see on TV! You'll get much better advice on here than from a fictionalized show. :)