Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Health Care (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Can I get my eyes checked while in? Glasses? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716213)

Cole2013 02-05-2019 08:26 PM

Can I get my eyes checked while in? Glasses?

Hi all new here. I am about to head to jail, then to prison. I am looking around for information about getting my eyes checked while in. Is this possible? Do they help get you glasses? I have the frames but would need new eyeglass script and lenses.

Thanks for any information.

FYI I am in Texas

sidewalker 02-06-2019 07:06 AM

You would be much better off doing an eye exam on the outside.
Same with any dental, or other medical needs.

As to the eye glasses, I dont know if they would let you bring in your own glasses. I know that you should be able to buy readers at your own cost.

Cole2013 02-06-2019 09:04 AM

OMG, I can't see without my glasses and readers aren't going to cut it. That has to be something they think about. Plus what will it do any good for those on meds when you can't bring them into the prison. This gets better and better.

Thank you

WeepingWillow 02-06-2019 09:25 AM

My husband was able to take his glasses in to jail and TDC, but guards broke them when they were tossing his cell and he was never able to replace them.

I’d go to the eye doctor before you go in and guard the glasses with your life!

Bikerguy 02-06-2019 10:31 AM

As a CO I will give this advice.

Get as much done medically that you can before you go in, if it is possible. Especially dental and eyes. You really don't want to rely on the prison system if you have too. The wait is long and the service is not all that great.

Yes you can bring in your own set of glasses, Personally I would get a new set in an inexpensive and "solid" frame. Something that would not break easily. Something that you hope will last you. Yes you can get glasses issued to you while you are in, but the wait time is long...and well the choices in styles are..shall we say "limited"

Same thing with dental. Get any major work that you can do before you go in. Wait times are long and the service is not that great.

auntinmo 02-06-2019 10:57 AM

Same issue with my nephew. We were able to get him some glasses before he went to prison but they had to be all plastic (no metal).

Cole2013 02-06-2019 02:23 PM

Thanks all

BarbaraStone 08-13-2019 05:19 PM

Surely, you can do it inside. But if you do it beforehand, the quality will be better for sure.

Firebrand 08-13-2019 05:22 PM

You'll probably go to Estelle unit for that. Glasses are not that hard to come by. I did it when I was in there.

Revenwyn 08-16-2019 03:03 PM

You can usually bring in your own glasses but if you have to get your eyes re-examined while inside and ge new glasses there you will have very limited, plastic frame selection available.

My husband has been in 17 years and had new glasses twice, both with horrid plastic frames.

mleib 08-16-2019 03:44 PM

I took my own glasses into the BOP and got eyes checked before I went. I knew guys who waited months and months for an eye appointment.