Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Health Care (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Blood Pressure way too high in regional jail (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720077)

MissingHim0110 10-09-2019 02:12 AM

Blood Pressure way too high in regional jail

My fiancé is in regional jail awaiting transfer to a federal prison for a 9 month sentence for a probation violation. He has preexisting cardiac symptoms (had a heart attack from a genetic disorder at 28), and his blood pressure has been super high (190/100). The regional jail is going to “keep an eye on it”. Is there anything I can do? If I call his regular doctor can the doctor do something? I’m sure some of it is anxiety, but 190/100 while on beta blockers scares me.

sidewalker 10-09-2019 08:40 AM

I'd doubt his dr will be able to do anything. Im sure the jail is aware of his condition, and I hope they are keeping him on the medications.

Marseille 10-09-2019 12:32 PM

So his blood pressure was that high before he went in? If so, I’m not sure why you’d expect the jail to do more than his regular physician was doing. Maybe I missed something. He’ll be able to keep taking his medication. Federal prison has a few different blood pressure medications on their formulary so he’ll continue the one he’s on or something similar.

GaReform 10-09-2019 02:45 PM

I'm assuming from your post that at least he is on meds. So that means they're aware of his condition. Is he in VA? How long will he be awaiting transfer? If he has already been sentenced to serve a federal sentence then technically he is controlled by the Fed system & the local jail is just babysitting him as a paid favor to the Feds til he's moved. You could check into who is in charge of making medical treatment decisions in this case. If it's left up to the locals, here is part of VA law that spells out that they really don't have to do much.

§ 53.1-126. Responsibility of sheriffs and jail superintendents for food, clothing and medicine.

Nothing herein shall be construed to require a sheriff, jail superintendent or a locality to pay for the medical treatment of an inmate for any injury, illness, or condition that existed prior to the inmate's commitment to a local or regional facility, except that medical treatment shall not be withheld for any communicable diseases, serious medical needs, or life threatening conditions.

Taliba00 10-10-2019 10:59 AM

There's not much you can really do save advocate for him. I don't know anything about how jails provide medical services to the inmates, but if they have a medical services department of some sort, you can write a letter urging them to pay more attention. Oh, and get a signed HIPAA form from your bf so that you can show it to them and say, see? I'm authorized to talk to you about this. The idea is to create a paper trail in case anything does happen. The system may not give a crap about an inmate's health or death, but it is a little more attuned now to the potential for litigation.

For those who are prone, being in jail/prison can raise bp tremendously. It's a problem I'm familiar with, and it's fairly common. Obviously a reading of 190/100 constitutes a hypertensive crisis. The bop guidelines define it as such and have step-by-step instructions on how to manage it (as to how closely they follow that is another issue).