Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=944)
-   -   Why does a home plan inspection take so long? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718412)

Thomas66 06-19-2019 01:34 PM

Why does a home plan inspection take so long?

Our son was in a parole violation facility near Erie. It was supposed to be for sixty days but it was actually seventy days because he arrived two weeks before a new D/A class was to begin. It would have been eighty days, but he and some others, were released earlier than originally intended because of some issue regarding the early arrival.
His original release date was to be June 21st. After an exhaustive search we found an apartment for him in May. We paid $700 for June on May 23rd. On the 24th our son submitted the plan to his consular. It was then forwarded to his temporary PO in Erie. The Erie PO took some time off and was not back in his office until June 5th. It took a while to be routed to Williamsport and then to the Tioga County PO. We expected the home plan inspection to be completed well before he was released. It has been four weeks and we have been told that it might get done next week. In the meantime our son is now in a halfway facility with nothing to do but wander around the streets of Erie during the daytime. He is extremely frustrated, as are we. Parole doesn't seem to care a whole lot.

Thomas66 06-19-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas66 (Post 7781736)
Our son was in a parole violation facility near Erie. It was supposed to be for sixty days but it was actually seventy days because he arrived two weeks before a new D/A class was to begin. It would have been eighty days, but he and some others, were released earlier than originally intended because of some issue regarding the early arrival.
His original release date was to be June 21st. After an exhaustive search we found an apartment for him in May. We paid $700 for June on May 23rd. On the May 24th our son submitted the plan to his consular. It was then forwarded to his temporary PO in Erie. The Erie PO took some time off and was not back in his office until June 5th. It took a while to be routed to Williamsport and then to the Tioga County PO. We expected the home plan inspection to be completed well before he was released last Friday, June 14th. It has been four weeks and we have been told that it might get done next week. In the meantime our son is now in a halfway facility with nothing to do but wander around the streets of Erie during the daytime. He is extremely frustrated, as are we.

I may have been a little vague on the dates. I have clarified them as of 6/19/2019.

patchouli 06-19-2019 07:33 PM

I'm not familiar with PA's parole process / timeline, but it sounds like he may have fallen through the cracks. Have you followed up with the PO?

The very knowledgeable Moderator of this forum (bobble60) will not be online until Sunday morning, hopefully your son's Home Plan will be approved by then, at least I hope so. In the meantime, read through this forum for something similar and hopefully someone from PA will be along with a little info and/or advice.

Breathe! He'll be Home soon..... :)

Thomas66 06-20-2019 08:13 AM

Yes, he has spoken to PO's from both counties. I have spoken to local PO and a clerk in the Williamsport office. The clerk and the local PO can only concerned with the date that the home plan reached them. Not when it was submitted to the Erie County, including any delay that occurred. What a system. :(

patchouli 06-20-2019 09:51 AM

I'm sorry its taking so long :soothe: Tell your son to keep his chin up, it can't be much longer until he's released. Surely!

bobble60 06-23-2019 06:43 AM

Hello and welcome.

It's sad that these things happen rather often. The DOC is currently supervising about 50,000 men and women. The average agent has a caseload of around 50. When an agent is absent, other agents fill-in for the more urgent aspects, of which investigating a home plan is not. Summertime is really bad for this.

If you have been in touch with the district office for the home plan location, there is little else you can do. They're right: they can't be responsible for the agent in another district who dropped the ball. One of the challenges for Act 121 TPVs has been the very short turn-around time of 60 days.

May I ask for the benefit of others, what was the reason that your son couldn't go back to his previous residence? In essence, that was already "approved".

I empathize with you. When someone is placed in a CCC far from home, they really have nothing to do all day but wander the neighborhood. I see this quite a lot with the center in Chester.

Stay in regular contact with the district office until this is resolved.

Thomas66 06-23-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobble60 (Post 7782226)
Hello and welcome.

It's sad that these things happen rather often. The DOC is currently supervising about 50,000 men and women. The average agent has a caseload of around 50. When an agent is absent, other agents fill-in for the more urgent aspects, of which investigating a home plan is not. Summertime is really bad for this.

If you have been in touch with the district office for the home plan location, there is little else you can do. They're right: they can't be responsible for the agent in another district who dropped the ball. One of the challenges for Act 121 TPVs has been the very short turn-around time of 60 days.

May I ask for the benefit of others, what was the reason that your son couldn't go back to his previous residence? In essence, that was already "approved".

I empathize with you. When someone is placed in a CCC far from home, they really have nothing to do all day but wander the neighborhood. I see this quite a lot with the center in Chester.

Stay in regular contact with the district office until this is resolved.

He was on parole for DUI (drugs). He was doing quite well, other than his sense of entitlement, when he over reacted verbally not physically to a comment that I had made . He had used. I texted the PO that night and made it clear that his home plan at our residence had pretty much run its course. The PO has rescinded the existing home plan. Our son is 35 we are 70. :(

trauma4us 06-23-2019 11:28 AM

Totally understand now why previous home plan wouldn't work.

Thomas66 06-25-2019 07:55 AM

Here it is the 25th and we still are waiting on the inspection/approval. We have been afraid to move in any furniture or property.

Thomas66 06-27-2019 08:10 AM

Great news!! The PO checked the apartment last evening and spoke to the landlord. To his credit he has been running ragged. I suspect that he did the inspection on his own time.

patchouli 06-27-2019 12:12 PM

YEA!! :boogie: Was the PO able to give you an approximate date for your son to come Home?

Thomas66 06-27-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchouli (Post 7782865)
YEA!! :boogie: Was the PO able to give you an approximate date for your son to come Home?

I asked if it could be by Sunday, but he could not commit. Evidently he would first have to complete a report then forward it to his boss. But, his boss is off Thursday and Friday. So, he will try the other boss and hope for the best.

Thomas66 07-04-2019 09:42 AM

Well, Here it is the The Fourth of July and our son is still wandering the streets of Erie. No one will tell him anything regarding his release. He calls 5-10 times a day with his Track phone. Always crying and in complete despair. His home plan apartment still sets empty. Calls we have made generally refer us to other agencies where you are forced to leave a recorded message. There is never a response.

patchouli 07-04-2019 09:13 PM

I'm sure he feels like this limbo will never end :( The weekend & the holiday didn't help any either. Encourage him to stay strong, tell him I'm sending him some positive energy :soothe:

Thomas66 07-11-2019 05:47 AM

Our son was finally released on Tuesday 7/9. What a terrible adventure. Thank God he is home.

patchouli 07-11-2019 09:59 PM

https://i.imgur.com/zjWMVMF.gif