Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   World Prison News (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Saddam is sentenced to hang (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235166)

DLM 11-05-2006 07:51 AM

Saddam is sentenced to hang

By Mussab Al-Khairalla and Ibon Villelabeitia
Nov.5,2006
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A visibly shaken Saddam Hussein was found guilty of crimes against humanity on Sunday and sentenced to hang by the U.S.-sponsored court that has been trying him in Baghdad for the past year.

Article:Saddam

FriscoLady 11-05-2006 11:43 AM

Yes Saddam did some evil things, but it is not ironic that a puppet court of the U.S. sentenced this man - that the U.S. sponsored for so long to keep Iran in check.

If you don't believe me check the history of Iraq, specifically the Iran/Iraq war of the 1980s.

I have no compassion for Saddam only for the people he killed - when is a U.S. leader going to be brought to trial for accessory to those crimes. Sad state of affairs. The true criminals are either dead and beyond justice or still beyond justice because of the power of the U.S.

Patti

HOPE4FUTURE 11-05-2006 11:48 AM

I guess I just find it strange that he was tried for CRIMES ON HUMANITY and now they sentence him to HANG. How HUMANE is THAT???

DLM 11-05-2006 01:12 PM

I agree with you both Patti and Hope - really sad state of affairs.

Jillian 11-05-2006 08:25 PM

I agree with yall, its basically saying YES you were wrong for killing all those ppl for Killing is wrong, but yes YES we are going to KILL you to make it CORRECT.. hmmm have you heard about 2 WRONGS doesnt make it RIGHT seesh

HOPE4FUTURE 11-05-2006 08:28 PM

hat's my thought. but to HANG him??? That's barbaric and inhumane!

Jillian 11-05-2006 08:49 PM

i understand what you saying .. IMO all that is showing that country is that we are no less barbaric than he was .

Visitor7734 11-05-2006 08:53 PM

Setting A Precedent?

Gee, if we are going to hang war criminals, why not start off with George W. Bush, who has already slaughtered 655,000 Iraqis and nearly 3,000 U.S. troops in his quest to control the world's oil reserves.

I'm an ex-con, and where I come from that's called armed robbery. The fact that you do it on a global scale does not make it any less a crime. Remember, everything Hitler did was legal, and everything the Hungarians did in their fight for freedom was a crime.

Polls show the Iraqi people believe they were better off under Saddam. The U.S. arms one faction, the Shites who appear to be more loyal to Iran than to the U.S. What a mess! Anyone voting Republican?

FriscoLady 11-05-2006 08:59 PM

If I could still vote (can't vote, ex-con too) the answer to your question would be no, I would not voting Republican.

Thank God some finally sees what I have been trying to say for years and it is a fellow San Franciscan! Yeah! This war is wrong!

Oh by the way I am retired military too, and if for some reason I were ever eligible to be recalled because of this war - well I would be facing another trial for I would refuse the orders!

Patti

HOPE4FUTURE 11-05-2006 09:01 PM

Yes, let a man murder someone on the streets here and spend his life in prison or be sentenced to death but let the government send a man to war and murder someone and it's ok because the government says so. A human being is a human being whether from a different country or not.

misscrys 11-05-2006 09:12 PM

if we talk about the evil stuff that saddam did why does it always g back to being about bush it seems kinda like well it doesnt matter what saddam did look what bush IS doing, not defending b ush cause lord knows he has put us in a horrible situtaion im just saying saddam did what saddam did and it had nothing to do with bush

Terra 11-05-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE
Yes, let a man murder someone on the streets here and spend his life in prison or be sentenced to death but let the government send a man to war and murder someone and it's ok because the government says so. A human being is a human being whether from a different country or not.

There's a big difference... A Soldier is not mudering people - it's called war. You cannot place a Soldier into the same catagory as you would a murder off the streets.

It's not Bushes fault Saddam killed thousands of his own people, it's Saddams fault. Saddam will pay the price in the end.

HOPE4FUTURE 11-05-2006 09:46 PM

Murder is Murder!!! At least it is to me! I didn't never say Saddam didn't kill thousands of people and it is any fault of Bush and that Saddam shouldn't pay the price, but HANGING!!!

crow94 11-05-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriscoLady
Yes Saddam did some evil things, but it is not ironic that a puppet court of the U.S. sentenced this man - that the U.S. sponsored for so long to keep Iran in check.

If you don't believe me check the history of Iraq, specifically the Iran/Iraq war of the 1980s.

I have no compassion for Saddam only for the people he killed - when is a U.S. leader going to be brought to trial for accessory to those crimes. Sad state of affairs. The true criminals are either dead and beyond justice or still beyond justice because of the power of the U.S.

Patti

Perfectly stated.

And HMMMM... just in time for the U.S. Elections! How coincidental!

Crone 11-05-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

If I could still vote (can't vote, ex-con too) the answer to your question would be no, I would not voting Republican.

Thank God some finally sees what I have been trying to say for years and it is a fellow San Franciscan! Yeah! This war is wrong!

Oh by the way I am retired military too, and if for some reason I were ever eligible to be recalled because of this war - well I would be facing another trial for I would refuse the orders!

Patti

Patti you could vote if you lived here - ex-con or not!

BillieJo 11-06-2006 08:26 AM

This trial should have been a major contribution toward establishing justice and the rule of law in Iraq, and in ensuring truth and accountability for the massive human rights violations perpetrated by Saddam Hussein's rule," said Malcolm Smart, director of the Middle East and North Africa Programme. "In practice, it has been a shabby affair, marred by serious flaws that call into question the capacity of the tribunal, as currently established, to administer justice fairly, in conformity with international standards."
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=75721

walkingtourist 11-06-2006 10:36 AM

Saddam Hussein was a terrible thug.
Unfortunately, the United States gave him weapons of mass destruction during the 1980s.
When our government grew tired of him, he was labeled a tyrant.
The result of executing Saddam Hussein could very likely be all-out civil war, with Shiites fighting Sunnis. There is a potential for a great deal of carnage.
m.m.

Quote:

Patti

FriscoLady 11-06-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terra
There's a big difference... A Soldier is not mudering people - it's called war. You cannot place a Soldier into the same catagory as you would a murder off the streets.

It's not Bushes fault Saddam killed thousands of his own people, it's Saddams fault. Saddam will pay the price in the end.

Terra, I served twenty years in the U.S. military, in fact, I retired from it, and am very proud of the fact that as a naturalized citizen I was allowed that privilege. I was in the Persian Gulf in 91, I was not shot at there, but I have been in other places - it is not a pleasant experience - what is even worse is the knowledge that you have taken human life - even in the line of duty.

I am not putting the onerous title of "murderer" on any U.S. military person other than those that have been tried by Courts-Martial and convicted or pled to such a crime.

It may not be Bush's' fault though in the case of the present war I would beg to differ on that.

But, as I alluded too, in a previous post, look at the history of the U.S. support of Saddam, providing the monies, training, and weapons to his armed forces that was and is responsible for the murders of many of his people. Yes, those items were given to him to defend against Iran, however, he used them against innocent women and children and I hold the U.S. Administrations of that time just as responsible for their deaths as I do Saddam.

If I were to give my neighbor a gun to protect his family and home and he kills his wife and children or a renter he does not like, I am responsible and should be charged as an accessory to those murders.

I do want to see the primary members of the Bush administration charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity, but not for the same reasons as I hold Carter and yes my hero Ronald Reagan responsible for the crimes of the 1980s.

I am definitely not an expert, but with study and experience in military law and some International Law during my career the fact is our current politicians should be and I hope to see them brought to trial for War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity in the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague, whether the U.S. recognizes it or not.

We can debate the UN mandate and the Congressional approval till we are blue in the face, but, frankly, I would rather see it settled in a court of law, The ICC in fact.

I do not believe in the death penalty, however, if found guilty they should be punished just as you or I would be if we committed a war crime.

As foreign born and as a citizen of a country whose former leaders were tried at Nuremberg, and rightfully so, I cannot understand why the government of my adopted country thinks they are above the law.

I don't think they are, but that is just me.

Patti

Visitor7734 11-06-2006 06:18 PM

The United States not only gave Saddam the weapons to use again Iran, they gave him the chemicals for the poisons he used in his war of aggression against them. Now the U.S. has invaded and replaced their former puppet (Saddam) with another puppet regime—the Shiites, who were the former enemies of Saddam. There is a civil war taking place in Iraq and we are arming one side—the Shiites (as are the Iranians). So the Shiites are going to hang Saddam after a trial the entire planet sees and flawed on fundamental levels. His trial was as fair as two foxes and a chicken democratically voting on what to have for diner.

What surprises me is that anyone of this board, which supposedly supports and protects the rights of prisoners, thinks there has not yet been enough killing of Iraqis and would like to see yet another one killed.

techietype 11-06-2006 07:09 PM

Although I am opposed to the death penalty without exception, the case of Saddam Hussein gave me pause. Hussein is certainly guilty of murder on a scale that is matched only by the likes of Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Phot. But that wasn't why I might have thought that killing him could be acceptable. Rather, I was concerned that if Saddam were allowed to live he might eventually be returned to power. Given the current state of Iraq anything is possible.

But if you are going to hang someone, justice (assuming you see killing people as doing justice) demands that at the very least there be a fair trial with impartial judges and a decent defense. It is beyond obvious that did not happen here. Saddam received a show trial of the sort for which Stalin was famous.

There is something that bothers me in the pit of my stomach when I hear President Bush hail a verdict by a kangaroo court as being justice. Saddam is not going to be exectued, he is going to be lynched. I will not be saddened by his passing, but will be deeply saddened by how we have completely forgotten what justice is supposed to mean.

HeSoHandsome 11-06-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techietype
. . . I will not be saddened by his passing, but will be deeply saddened by how we have completely forgotten what justice is supposed to mean.

I'm not sure if we ever even knew what justice is because too many times we just don't see it. We see alot of politics, but not alot of justice.

Hanging?? Now that's gangsta!! Hanging, firing squad, guillotine -- that's gangsta, straight up.

Ginger2009 11-06-2006 08:33 PM

I agree with vistor7734. Bush should be right up there with him. Bush will not back down on this war (why are we still there??) More of our troops are getting killed WHY?? That makes bush killing his own people!!

techietype 11-06-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginger2009
I agree with vistor7734. Bush should be right up there with him. Bush will not back down on this war (why are we still there??) More of our troops are getting killed WHY?? That makes bush killing his own people!!

Why are we still there? President Bush just this past weekend speaking at rallies in four different states told us the current version of the reason why we are still in Iraq:

"You can imagine a world in which these extremists and radicals got control of energy resources. And then you can imagine them saying, "We're gonna pull a bunch of oil off the market to run your price of oil up, unless you do the following."

There you have it folks. You knew it all along. The reason we need to stay in Iraq for many more long years and who knows how many tens of thousands of lives is to protect down the price of gasoline. Remember when it was finding weapons of mass destruction or fighting for democracy?

Please vote tomorrow. It is very important.

nimuay 11-06-2006 09:13 PM

Techie - I heard that quote, too. Had to pick my jaw up off the floor...yet another reason trotted out in the vain hope that something can justify all the carnage. But not one word about learning NOT to use so much oil!
I think there is no doubt that Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld could and should be taken into custody and tried for international crimes, but who is going to enforce that one? This is a world of force majeur, and there is no force greater than the US right now. Perhaps, if Bush lives long enough, a la Pinochet, it can happen, but as we know, justice delayed is justice denied. Sometimes, revenge is all one can hope for.

Ginger2009 11-06-2006 09:27 PM

All I can say is this is very sad. We are the people and are leader will not listen to us! We (U.S.A.) are the laughing stock of the world. Force greater try China. Mr bush took care of that. God only knows what he will do next week (scary Huh) He should be brought up on war crimes. By the way wheres Bin Ladin?? Mr Bush Had no reason to go to another country and tell them how to live. After all look at his country we have problems here, he needs to take care of. Please vote tomorrow and sign petitions. Lets at least try and get him out of office.