Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The War on Drugs - and the results of it (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Discussion about first-time drug charges going to prison (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228874)

lilbit2000 07-19-2009 09:18 PM

1st timers

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove (Post 2263753)
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!

I agree! myv daughter got 12 yr! back in 2004 no priors and son in law 19 no priors but the roommate/owner of property got 6 yrs with many priors!!! and they say that they treat everyone fairly!!!! what is fair in the judicial system! She is in Bryan Tx. FPC (origianly from Independence, Mo.

MrsCetina 07-19-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove (Post 2263753)
They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I agree.

MrsCetina 07-19-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriesMom (Post 2340753)
I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see conviction. Convictions = money. That's why they offer so many plea bargains..saves the court time and money and they still get their conviction money.

You are so right about this.

SeanRay4514 08-02-2009 08:31 AM

In Georgia I had 3 Possesion charges, 2 for meth and the 3rd had 2 counts of poss. of opiates. The first got me 5 years probation, the 2nd got me 10 years probation and the 3rd got me 2 years in prison. The laws for possesion in Georgia are not that strict on possesion. sales and manufacturing are different

jasmine29 08-09-2009 09:35 PM

It's a tricky subject. My boyfriend's locked up for exactly the question of this thread- first time felony drug offense. Do I think his offense was pretty low-grade in the grand scheme of things... yes. Do I support what he did... no. Do I miss him like crazy and just want my baby back.... EVERY DAY! But at the same time, he said he's glad this happened because it's making him want to live a straight life and never regress to this stuff. His exact quote was "I needed this." If that's going to help our future, can't argue with it!

bcvkenn 08-28-2009 07:58 AM

Hi, Im new to this site.My son is in SC. He just went up for parole wed. And was denied. He has been in the system for 3 years now. He was sentenced to 10yrs.I believe each case should be judged seperate.True if you have money you can get out of it .He became involved with a married woman who had 3 children. She had a bad drug problem before they meet.During a 3yr. Relationship my son started making meth to keep her happy.She kept him from his family during this time so it was a real shock to us when we learned about his arrest.He had his own business, nice truck,ect...and lost it all. They both were arrested and charged with same charges.We are on disability and live on limited income so we couldnt pay for a lawyer. While they were in county she got word to him she was pregnant with twins.This sent him over the edge. He took blame for everything plead guilty thinking this would help her. He got 10yrs.after he was sentenced her family got her a lawyer and her charges were reduced to common law conspiracy. They both were charged with manufactoring meth, waste violation, 1st. Offense. She got 12 months probation and he got 10 yrs. Oh by the way she had her tubes tied 13 yrs ago. So no I dont think the way sentencing is handed down is fair.He had a public defender who didnt try to help him if anything he hurt his case by telling the judge that he had 3 children and a wife! The kids ages9 to 18 didnt even live with her due to her drug problem before my son meet her.Well shes out free and still doing drugs and has been payed out of trouble 2 more times now. Our son has 2 more yrs. Before he comes back up for parole again and the sad thing is his dad has a bad heart problem and I worry he may not get out in time to be with him. Sorry I went on and on . My nerves are so bad and I have no where to go it seems.So thank you for listening to me!

kaylaindia 08-28-2009 08:05 AM

so sorry to hear that, keep ur head up everything will work out

hbragdoll 09-28-2009 09:44 PM

This drug issue can range from a wide varity. I wonder how many people are dealinig with legal issues or prision due to legal drugs such as alcohol or the addictions these new drugs are creating that comes from our wonderful doctors. Its truely out of hand and so many are suffering from legal addictions and than jail or prision is the solution due to our wonderful goverment, i think its just a money game. Everyone gets profit but the one becoming addicted and the families...God have Mercy on this Society. Marajauna is the least harmful or addicting drug there is out in this world today. But they havent figured out how to make money off of it other than keeping it illegal.

hbragdoll 09-28-2009 09:51 PM

Plus, why not use the money they spend in housing these people and put it into rehabs and councling. Trying to get into rehab if you have no ins or money is insaine. And these Doctors should start being more responsible for there actions of what there creating. Only if ur in hollywood does it ever get any attention.

eb2009 09-29-2009 10:28 PM

bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove (Post 2263762)
Hopefully someone else will come along that can tell us where to start!

look up the national criminal justice commission act of 2009. also senator jim webb of virginia

luvmyjack 10-05-2009 12:29 AM

The scary part of this whole drug war, is that NOTHING has changed in 10 years! I was in FPC Bryan TX til 2000 and it was crazy then.Ive kept up with the war and it has stayed the same. They hand down these harsh sentences and throw people and their lives away......literally! I can only imagine the pain that thousands of people and their families are going through each day,its depressing. I highly doubt it will ever change.:(

robbie72956 11-03-2009 01:32 AM

poll opinion

I sold some of my personal pain pills That i had in my cabnet that was when dr's changed my script. Have a self surrender date of nov.30th. For a 4 yr. sentance at arkansas RCF. 1st time with no other charges. I'm on disability with many bad health issues.But this is going to cause my family to lose everything for my disability check pay's most of the bill's.
This is going to punish my wife and kids and just is not right. as for the poll they are other way's to punish us rather then put us in prison.

joshdudley 11-03-2009 03:54 PM

Putting aside the fact I'm opposed to prohibitions on people putting stuff into their body if they so choose I'd say I'm opposed to imprisonment of dealers and users.

Certainly putting users in jail for just using the drug (if they steal from people or are otherwise engaged in criminal activity they should be getting long, long sentences) is farcical and putting someone in jail for taking advantage of an ecomomic opportunity such as the one drug dealing has come to be in a society which prohibits its use is just plain stupid.

Every dealer you lock up will just be replaced by another dealer.

joshdudley 11-03-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie72956 (Post 5028728)
I sold some of my personal pain pills That i had in my cabnet that was when dr's changed my script. Have a self surrender date of nov.30th. For a 4 yr. sentance at arkansas RCF. 1st time with no other charges. I'm on disability with many bad health issues.But this is going to cause my family to lose everything for my disability check pay's most of the bill's.
This is going to punish my wife and kids and just is not right. as for the poll they are other way's to punish us rather then put us in prison.

I empathise, if those pills were purchased by you from your own money you should be free to sell them. If you're selling pills paid for by the taxpayer I think you should go to prison but not for selling the pills, for fraud.

The drug war is a distraction, here, in the UK, an academic who recently opposed the government's decision to upgrade cannabis from being a Class C (equivalent of Schedule V in the US) to being a Class B (equivalent of Schedule II) lost his job.

TexasAngel25 11-18-2009 12:45 PM

Change

I believe that people make the wrong choices that at the time may seem like the right ones. I dont think it is right to judge them for that. Our economy has gotten so bad that people are doing whatever they can to make ends meet. Im not saying thats the right way but they think it is at the time. What about those people who keep doing it for the fun of it just for the thrill. How come they get chance after chance. They will never learn but then you have those who know they messed up and want to change locked up for ten-twenty years. thats not right.

hbragdoll 11-19-2009 01:04 PM

If addicts got the proper help or at least a chance to overcome there addiction, than the Jails and Courts would be empty. Set them up to fail.

22 year old in Drug Court, revoked bond missed two drug test, and was admitted to ICU on her court date due to trying to overdose on tynol pms, im not sure which is the worst. Finding her dead, or in prision, she didnt harm anyone other than being a threat to herself, she didnt rob or hold up a store or bank, she didnt molest, rape or murder. She is in jail for being an addict, and gentic mental illness. Would getting her into a dual rehab help her. Should Drug Courts put more into Intervention than using bars as the answer. It hurts, you question yourself as a parent, could I have done more. She wanted to stay clean, when she was up she glowed, when she is down, its a cruel world to battle life or death. What do you do?

MOTHER OF HIM 11-24-2009 06:20 AM

hbragdoll your so right ! get help for addicts this is a sick ness....but little to no help for addicts. just lock them up in prison if we would fix the problem or even care of this sick-ness... it would save the prisons millions a week save our youth, give them hope and maybe a life they need help, support and love... but no we just lock them in a prison some for many yrs no rehab no hope in a loney prison.. and this is what will help our love ones ? we take mothers, fathers, kids away from a family who loves them. o this all makes me so sick with hurt "
A VERY LOST AND HURT MOM, WHO HAS LOST HER SON FOR MANY YRS TO A SICKNESS
GOD BLESS

MOTHER OF HIM 11-24-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscetina (Post 4809761)
you are so right about this.

your so right on this the DA is the one who has the power and it's the DA's job to put you in prison. The judge only hands down the time... With very little power in his court room...

angelbaby72 11-28-2009 07:28 PM

I totally think that somebody who is in trouble for drugs should bew able to get probation,house arrest,fines,drug court and such instead of automatically being thrown in prison.My dad got busted on 2 controlled buys,totallying 4.12 grams of crack,and he was given 27 months.This on top of being 62 years old,having terminal illnesses,copd and emphyzema which is in end stage.I could see if somebody was trafficing hundreds of ounces or pounds,or was a repeat offender,but not somebody who hasn't been in much trouble.

robbie72956 12-22-2009 07:52 PM

i am the wife of a man who never was in trouble his whole life and he sold some pills and is now doing time at texerkana ark for his first offense which should have never happen and on top of that when he gets out he will have twenty years probation on a first offense tell me the justice system works

Onaicult 12-24-2009 07:56 PM

my man has a year sentence first time offense for POSS of less than a gram of a controlled substance. They just ruined his life w/ a felony, and while he's been in, that county finally got w/ the program and made it a misdemeanor, but do they care about the people currently in jail? no. BS!!

gg12 02-07-2010 12:01 PM

i definitly have to agree with the filing for a petition against putting people in prison for !st time drug charges. I am a victim of my loved one being incarcerated for 1st time charges and they gave him 4 yrs. that for someone who never even did jail time before its just not right thats my personal opinion

cyclegrrrl 02-13-2010 08:20 PM

The drug sentences are out of control. It's a situation set up where those who are heavily involved and thus are to assist the govt in catching others get lighter sentences than those who were just transporting money to deal. In my case, the least involved - even those with a first offense - got harder sentences than the repeat offender drug king pins because they didn't have valuable information to give to the govt. It's a very f-d up system, where the least dangerous and dirty can and do serve much more harsh sentences than the masterminds.

Laxx 03-08-2010 01:09 AM

I have to serve a 2 year sentence suspended after 6 months in June for "possession" of less than 4 oz. of weed. First time offense, kinda sucks if you ask me. They threw a lot of felonies at me and misdemeanors, ended up coping a plea and receiving 2 misdemeanors. This was in CT, if I was in New York it would have been an infraction, maybe a misdemeanor but no jail time.

switt52002 05-22-2010 10:45 PM

i have to say that first time drug offenders should be given probation.I am faceing 5 to 6 years for my first time ever doin any thing wrong.i dont have a record either but they plan on settin an example with me and my husband.he is lookin at 10 years.