Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The War on Drugs - and the results of it (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Discussion about first-time drug charges going to prison (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228874)

Black's Grl 10-02-2007 09:43 AM

I also believe if it's a person first time. They should be given a second chance. Unless it is murder.

ilovedavid 10-06-2007 10:15 AM

My husband and I are going thru this right now. He has never been in trouble with the law before, not even a traffic ticket. Now he's facing a minimum of 20 years to life for possession of over 140 grams of meth. I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that someone wouldn't have larned their lesson had they not gone to prison. My husband has only been in jail since Sept. 11 of this year and has already learned his lesson. Not only has he lost his freedom, but his 4 beautiful kids, who I believe to be the rason behind him learning his lesson. He made a mistake, and now we are all going to be paying for it for a very long time, especially my kids.

midlandbrown 10-06-2007 01:22 PM

Drug War Injustice Petition

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovedavid
My husband and I are going thru this right now. He has never been in trouble with the law before, not even a traffic ticket. Now he's facing a minimum of 20 years to life for possession of over 140 grams of meth. I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that someone wouldn't have larned their lesson had they not gone to prison. My husband has only been in jail since Sept. 11 of this year and has already learned his lesson. Not only has he lost his freedom, but his 4 beautiful kids, who I believe to be the rason behind him learning his lesson. He made a mistake, and now we are all going to be paying for it for a very long time, especially my kids.

So so sad;that is alot of Meth tho and the laws are really hard we just have to fight and hope that one day we will be heard.
My son came home Monday from prison i missed him so much.
He said going to prison did nothing for him that Rehab had already done and that it is a waste of tax money to house guys that can be helped other ways.
I can only pray for you and feel your pain.
Keep me posted on how things go

gigi29 10-07-2007 12:05 AM

agree with Hope

I agree completely with you. It is so stupid to throw these people in prison and disrupt their families, for non-violent offenses. What motivation is there for them to get/stay sober if the system tears their life apart??? My husband is in prison for a forged prescription. I'm sorry, but BFD! He didn't harm anyone except himself!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

HopeFromAbove 10-14-2007 08:50 PM

I am not sure if any of you have ever heard of the organization calld FAMM.
They have a web site- FAMM stands for Families Against Mandatory Minimums.
They lobby congress and state legislators about reducing the crazy mandatory minimums in place for drug charges. Check out their web site for more info.

Logan1492 10-15-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopeFromAbove
I am not sure if any of you have ever heard of the organization calld FAMM.
They have a web site- FAMM stands for Families Against Mandatory Minimums.
They lobby congress and state legislators about reducing the crazy mandatory minimums in place for drug charges. Check out their web site for more info.

This is their website:

http://www.famm.org/

ChicosgrrlinCO 10-15-2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi29
I agree completely with you. It is so stupid to throw these people in prison and disrupt their families, for non-violent offenses. What motivation is there for them to get/stay sober if the system tears their life apart??? My husband is in prison for a forged prescription. I'm sorry, but BFD! He didn't harm anyone except himself!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The medical lobby is the biggest political action committee in this country (oil is up there of course!) and it's the lobbiests & PAC committee which buy out our politicians (we're no better than what the media calls "corrupt govts."):blah: You bet I stocked up on meds when I went to Mexico last March - so was everyone getting off the cruise ships. Thank goodness Customs didn't catch me with it or otherwise, I could be in the same boat your husband is in.:eek:

mz.tjenkins 10-15-2007 10:16 PM

it's wrong to that to people, that's what my man is facing. and it's breaking our family apart. our son is gonna be born next week and he wont even be able to see him much less be there.

HopeFaithNLove 10-27-2007 02:35 AM

It is hard....

It gets better! Hang in there.

reggie42 12-06-2007 09:57 PM

for real

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!

AMEN!!!:thumbsup:

PCGS70 12-07-2007 09:48 AM

My girl is an addict. She sold crack to support her habbit. Nothing could keep her away from crack. Not church. Not rehab. Not AA/NA. Not love and support. Not jail. Not family. Nothing. After she was arrested she was happy that she was going to be locked up and away from drugs. Ha! Illegal Drugs are in prison. They are very expensive but they are available.

ohs2gmu 02-21-2008 10:19 PM

seriously?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlcru
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?

My house is within the certain school zone & that isn't something we can control. My mom was lucky to have her school zone charges dropped.. she had oxycontins & a small measure of cocaine. There is an entire forest and 2 soccer fields between my house and the school.... it's not like the little kids are even in sight of my house.

Lsvtec 03-31-2008 10:23 PM

mine is being sentenced 10 years with a 1 year review for being caught with 8000 pills.. first offense.. what are the chances of him really getting out in a year?? his lawyer says he will get out in a year if he does good in prison.. enrolls in all the programs and does not get in trouble,etc.. we've paid almost 30 grand for his lawyer that told him hes gona be released next year instead of getting 10 years.. i hope the lawyer isnt jacking us around and i really hope he will get out next year! any thoughts?

greeneyedlady19 04-01-2008 12:52 AM

My husbands lawyer told us my husband would be up for parole the first time in 2002. He was sentenced in 95. And did not have his 1st parole hearing until 2004.

Lsvtec 04-01-2008 11:04 AM

that's sad to hear. all the hope the lawyer feeds you thinking you will be out like he says then end up sitting out for a couple more years I know some lawyers are screwy I've been screwed out of 20 grand already from a previous laywer that told us he could only in his best power get him 10 years! omg I can't belive it. he sounded so cocky before we hired him! blah blah yeah I can get him off with probly probation blah blah.. yeah right! 10 years!? im sure we could have gotten that result with a public defender on a first offense! I guess he is now probly out enjoying the 20 grand he didn't work for.well we dropped that douche and hired a better one this time (another 15 grand spent) he got it down to 1 year.. we're going off this ones word. and he better be out in 1 year or im just going to explode! *sigh* so much money spent already I guess all the money in the world won't do any better. anyways just thought id release some steam out. I feel a little better now. anyone been in this situation before could probly understand my frustrations and finanial frustrations hehe =/

lilithinwaiting 04-01-2008 09:40 PM

A child rapist or some nut job who slaughters several innocent people will get less time that any drug offense.. Something is wrong with that picture.

Jayzwife 04-03-2008 04:19 PM

My husband is only guilty of being stupid he didn't use nor sell drugs. His is involvement is because his sibling didn't want to take the fall by himself. And now our lives have been disrupted due to someone else.

sonrie2007 04-05-2008 05:11 PM

WOW, everybody sounds much like our problem :( he get 15 years for 3 kilos and we were supposed to be "HAPPY" since he could get 15 to life :blah: He is not a bad person, and I think thats a lot of time, besides we would be deported to Mexico.... Now he has more than 2 years inside and this august would be 2 time in parole.... What do you think? What can we expect??
The parole lawyer said that when she cant won the first time, she win second :D ja, and later she would said that if she doesnt won second she can win 3rth....
I really dont know what to expect, if this is his first time, and he is in a county jail, he would be deported to Mexico, he has a "good" parole packet and never have problemes inside, Im worry, we have a 3yr old boy who most of his life only spend two hours every 3 weeks in there, becouse the rules inside for the kids are also very stupid.
I am happy to find more people that feels just like me, but sincerely, you think second would be the one????
I hope I go thru all this with all you, becouse right now Im really getting crazy and a little hopeless....
please write back :)

snoops_girl 04-09-2008 09:27 PM

hi, me and my husband was busted with a meth lab in 2005, and let me tell you it is not a fun thing.. some people say that us on drugs know what we are in for, well that may be true but the drug takes control and you loose all track of what is true and what is false.. i never dreamed we'd be in as much trouble as we were.. i did 48days and county and 4months away from my kids and let me tell ya that was my wake up call.. they wanted to give us life in prison for our 1st time and never being in trouble.. we did not buy or way out of it.. we did EVERYTHING they asked of us regardless of how stupid it seemed.. In april of 07 we got 5yrs probation with a 15yr. back up. we have now been clean two yrs.. it has'nt all been easy but is well worth at it when i look at my kids.. i feel if your an adult and know what your putting in your body then they should leave you alone, but when you start giving it to kids than yes send their butts up... that is just my opion...

strugglingwife 05-11-2008 05:54 PM

yes,i agree there should be an alternative to prison for first time non-violent offenders. My husband was sentenced to 5 yrs.10 months on a conspiracy charge and was never even caught with drugs.Three people arrested prior gave his name and the feds came and got him. We didn't have $ for a lawyer because he was not dealing drugs, he was and addict. Also, he will do his time with no time off for good behavior because there is no parole for federal prisoners. The indictment on my husband was from 2001 and they arrested him in 2006,they told him they were sorry it took so long to come for him. The sad part is he had gotten off of drugs in 2004 and started a prison ministry. I have 2 small boys who miss there father who had rehabilitated himself. I'm not saying he should not have been punished but i think house arrest would have been more fair. Federal judges do not have the authority to use their discretion when sentencing,they go by guidelines and that is where the problem lies.The judge said he was sympathetic to my husbands case after recieving several letters from several pastors and even the probation officer who handled my husbands case while he was on house arrest waiting on his court date. The only way the system can change is with enough people contacting their state representatives and making enough noise to be heard, which is what i am trying to do.Sign petitions, write your congress men .

ricklee 05-12-2008 10:17 PM

i agree with you all, a addict don't need prison time,they need medical help for their addition.having them sit in prison to rot doesn't help them at all.what do you expect from our state and goverment system.

boricuasgirl 05-15-2008 08:45 PM

Yes & No

My man is in prison for meth. It hurts me everyday to not have him with me. There isn't a day or night that goes by without thinking of him. I wish gas prices would drop so I could see him as often as I did in the past.

BUT, we have a daughter and I would KILL the SOB that ever tried to sell her any type of drug. I feel awful for my man but the drugs he sold could have gotten to YOUR KIDS or someone who you know. Drugs don't only destroy the life of the person who sells them and gets caught it destroys the young kids/teenagers who consume them.

I think that if my man had the balls to go hustle then he needs to use those same balls to pay for his crime. He knew it was illegal to do it.

Kana84 06-03-2008 09:50 PM

This is a pretty long thread so I've just skimmed it, but I just wanted to say that most the arguements for or against probation for first time drug offenders are based on the false assumption that harsher sentences deter people from doing or dealing drugs. That is simply not the case, as drug use and availability have remained relatively stable regardless of continually harsher sentences.

Singapore for example has a mandatory death penalty for drug possession. Do you think thats stopped people from dealing it there? From 2001 to 2002 the number of drug abusers rose 16 percent.

So really what does sending drug users and dealers to prison really do but overcrowd our prisons, send non-violent offenders to schools that teach them how to become better criminals, expose them to more violence, alienate them, and make them more angry and bitter at the world when they come out.

My L.A.E.L.L. 06-03-2008 09:56 PM

my mans in prison for meth also. sometimes i think its not far- other times i think it saved his life to be forced into soberity....he was getting way too caught up- and life was scary. really scary. i wish he had more of a rehabilitation type program though. its just like i tell him- "being sober inside is awesome- but theres a hell of a lot more oppertunities outside to get stuff- and its going to be harder" i ask him if he thinks he can handle it out here without treatment first...he thinks he can. and i'll only support him. but believe me- if i even begin to see the warning signs again- i'll drop him off at a treatment center- its not okay to hurt everyone around you by being selfish and doing drugs/selling drugs. I LEARNED MY LESSON. im clean. ive made a life choice. but i did it on my own because i WANTED to....not "i did it on my own because i got locked up" i just hope he WANTS to be sober like he says. id feel a whole lot better about this is first time drug offenders got treatment instead of prison though.

My L.A.E.L.L. 06-03-2008 10:08 PM

i feel that i must add- he had been a meth addict for over 10 years. so sometimes i worry that without treatment- this is just going to be a break and then he'll start right back up again when he gets out-i mean- thats what an addict would do-right?