Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The War on Drugs - and the results of it (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Discussion about first-time drug charges going to prison (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228874)

june5 10-23-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo111
I agree, first timers should get a break. Get probation, community service and some kind of drug treatment. Now, the question arises, What happens if all the above doesn't change anything and he gets caught again with drugs? I would think if the government gives that kind of chance the first time around they would throw the book at the second time around.

--

Wait...are you saying that 2nd timers SHOULD get the book thrown at them after getting a break the first time?

It's hard to answer the question of what should happen to first timers, because the obvious issue is OK, but what will then happen the 2nd time?

headed2thebig1 10-23-2006 08:03 PM

i was offered a plea last month from the feds of up to 20 years for it was my first offence on any thing other than a speeding ticket... i thank the system Sucks

jimbo111 10-23-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by june5
Wait...are you saying that 2nd timers SHOULD get the book thrown at them after getting a break the first time?

It's hard to answer the question of what should happen to first timers, because the obvious issue is OK, but what will then happen the 2nd time?

Well, the government doesn't give unless it gets something in return.

What the government wants in return is no more drug arrests.

Frankly, it makes sense. As it is now first timers are doing jail time. As the topic of this thread. First time offender should get probation depending on there role in the drug trade. That chance of probation should act as a wake-up call. If they blow that chance, they know the outcome. How many chances should they get? One should be enough. What's the sense in giving one break only to get another. When does it stop?

--

nmh777 10-23-2006 11:07 PM

I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses. I don't think it is right that there are sex offenders who get less prison time than some drug offenders.

june5 10-24-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmh777
I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses..

What do you think the guidelines should be?

jimbo111 10-24-2006 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmh777
I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses. I don't think it is right that there are sex offenders who get less prison time than some drug offenders.

If sex offenders are getting less time. All the government will do is make the sex offender laws stronger. They won't lower the drug laws. So when arguing your case, comparing to other crimes won't solve the problem. instead of sex offender use stick-up man or robber and the same results. The government won't lower one. They will raise the other.

BabyBooWV 10-24-2006 10:55 AM

My man was 19 when he caught his case. It was his first time getting in trouble at all. He had graduated high school and had numerous schloarships to go to big universities for track and football. He made some dumb choices and got caught up in the drug game. They locked him up for 87 months straight off the cuff. I think it is outragous. Something needs to be done.

Valentina 10-28-2006 10:20 PM

No one should go to prison or jail for a 1st time drug offense, espeically a small amount.

jimbo111 10-29-2006 11:20 AM

Of the 28 that voted "No" what do you think should happen if they are given the chance of no jail time the first time and they get arrested again for drugs?

--

optimistic 11-01-2006 10:54 PM

Interesting thread with some interesting opinions.

I think first time low-level drug offenders should not be put in prison. Right now we offer no rehabilitation and no real probation. I look at probation and it's basically going to report and drop if requested and claim you're looking for work. Make these folks get jobs, and if you don't have a job, can't find a job, hit the highway and pick-up the trash or clean the inner city. Get strict with folks so that they realize and establish a sense of responsibility. You come to work at 7am you work til 3pm and then you go to class for something from 5pm to 9pm. You miss work or a class, then you've broken the rules and you go to jail. Unfortunately, if those were the rules, most folks would rather go to jail.

As for if they are caught the second time, you go to jail cuz there is no helping you right now. You probably need to sit down and think for a minute.

***Sidenote - money means nothing in convictions. We had PLENTY of money and still he has a crazy LONG sentence for drugs.

apt_frog 11-02-2006 12:21 AM

I think a maybe should be added to the poll. If they are caught with small amounts of powders for personal use they should forego the felony charges. But if they have onuces and bricks that is when prison time should begin.

SlimsButterfly 11-04-2006 10:42 PM

I definately think that something need to be done about the drug laws, my fiance was a first time offender who also got hit with a harsh sentence.

AriesMom 11-05-2006 07:37 PM

I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see conviction. Convictions = money. That's why they offer so many plea bargains..saves the court time and money and they still get their conviction money.

My daughter was a drug user and was set up. By allowing a deal to happen in her apt, she gets same charge as the dealer..7 years..her first time, he's been caught dealing before. The informer who set up..scott free and still doing drugs. How is this helping fight the drug war? It is all about the money.

big mama 69 11-06-2006 03:18 PM

petition for first time drug charges going to prison

Are we talking about getting caught with a lil bit of dope that's being used for one's own personal pleasure,or are we talking about getting caught with an amount that makes it perfectly clear that the intent was to sell?

SlimsButterfly 11-06-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriesMom
I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see conviction. Convictions = money. That's why they offer so many plea bargains..saves the court time and money and they still get their conviction money.

My daughter was a drug user and was set up. By allowing a deal to happen in her apt, she gets same charge as the dealer..7 years..her first time, he's been caught dealing before. The informer who set up..scott free and still doing drugs. How is this helping fight the drug war? It is all about the money.

I completely agree with you AriesMom, it is all about the money, it has nothing to do with fighting the war against drugs, especially when they use a persons addiction to their advantage and use them as informants, how are you fightring the war on drugs when you are basically allowing people (their informants) to use drugs as long as it benefits them and helps them get a conviction

mikesbabydoll 11-07-2006 08:10 PM

I have a lot to say on this subject. First, there are a lot fo things that could change what I think should happen. My boyfirend was just caught with a good amount of cocaine and got a mandatory sentence of 8 to 10 years on his first offense. The way that cops went about it was worng. They had an snitch sell to him a total of 10 times each time asking for more. This was over a year period. So basically they got him so bad that they thought he would snitch , but he did not. So now my 26 year old boyfriend will be in jail possibly until he is 36 years old. This I disagree with. I do see first time offenders like him caught with a good amount being in jail for possibly a year or 2, but 10 years is carzy. The judge even said that he had not choice in the matter, and he did not even want to give him that much time, but his hands were tied. What was the point of going through the 2 year court process then? Oh, I almost for got that he got a manatory fine of $269,785.61. How crazy is that? He will be dead and still owe the state money.

AriesMom 11-10-2006 02:09 PM

Yup..sadly that is the game they play. Whatever happened to entrapment? And the snitches go free and continue to use and sell drugs. There is an organization trying to fight mandatory minimums called families against man/min..check them out and become active..they are trying to fight these crazy laws. www.famm.org The laws are outdated and the only way to see change is to join and advocate.

Putting our loved ones in prison for years does nothing to help rehabilitate them. It is overcrowding the prisons with first time offenders that could be in treatment for a whole lot less than what prisons cost taxpayers daily.

mommy721 11-22-2006 05:48 PM

My husband was arrested 20 months ago on federal drug charges and was given 121 months for his first offense!It does not seem possible or fair that child molesters and even murderers get off w/ lighter sentences. Something needs to be done about these ridiculous drug laws that are in effect. He has a 16 month old little boy at home that he has never gotten to spend a more than a couple hours with. I am just praying that he gets some time knocked off somehow. Anyone w/ any suggestions please let s know b/c we a desperate!:(

RalphsWife 11-23-2006 11:50 PM

My husband got 20 years in state jail for 2oz cocaine, that was not even in his possession. It was in the hotel room that he parked infront of. He didn't even have a key it was his friends room that he was staying with they had to go to the front desk and request a key. His name wasn't even on the registar or anything. This was his first offence of any kind. They said that his intend was to distribute. It wasn't even his.

Eternal Friend 11-25-2006 12:38 AM

I agree that first time drug offenses are very harsh and very long compared to other crimes. Mine was caught in 3 controlled buys of narcotics. Like one or two pills at a time. He got 2 to 20 years with his parole date set for 2008 which would be 2 years served. I think they should be offered rehab and community service the first time. If they do it a second time then it would be understable that they are more harsh on them. It wasn't like he was selling to kids it was his lifelong friend all 3 times. They acted like he was some big dope dealer and charged him with the most time they could. He was just selling it to support his own habit. If they offered rehab it could have maybe changed things. Then the rat is still on the streets doing drugs and getting more people in trouble just to get enough money to get high again. How is that justice?

I do think though that the methadone clinics that are in place could go about things differently as well. I have had personal experience of a pill addict that turned to the methadone treatment center for rehab. Well lets just say something that should have taken 6 months has turned into 2 years. That is not rehabilitation. It is an addiction to government controlled drugs. They get about $100 per week per person. It seems they are out to make money on the addicts they are supposed to be cleaning up. What ever happened to detoxing and NA meetings? What is your take on the matter?

mommy721 11-26-2006 03:57 PM

I totally agree!

HopeFaithNLove 11-27-2006 09:39 PM

Mother Of The Post!

Hi guys. I haven't been on prisontalk in a while because I have been very busy raising my 2 kids by myself. Anyway, the whole reason I started this post was because of my kid's dad got 10 years... anyway, we were together at the time but have since split up because I found out that he had been cheating on me. I hate him so much for that! But thats how he's always been. He says he is going to change... but I can't trust that.

Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you all that I am no longer with this man, am actually pretty pissed off about the whole cheating thing, and am really ticked that I got left with all of his mess... BUT I still believe that he should not have gotten the amount of time that he got for what he was charged with.

So, I will work to pass a law to make it different for other people. Like I said before, he is a good person... regardless of the fact that he cheated on me... because I did things to him to that I shouldn't have... he is a GOOD person and should not be in prison.

So... I'm gonna look up the Republican Head of House Judic. Commitee and try to get the ball rolling... It's ridiculous how much trouble 1st time offenders get into... that's the way I feel... of course, this post was to find out how other people feel and try to get a law passed... so IM me or email me! I'll keep updates on what I've gotten done... if anything!

foreverhisgirl 02-22-2007 11:33 AM

Here's a way to get started....together as one!Other things that you can do:
  • Share the petition successfully with friends, neighbors and your entire community. Download a hard copy of the Petition for Relief from Drug War Injustice, ask others to help gather signatures of support.
  • Attend community events and set up a table where you can lay out Relief Petitions, or put copies on a clipboard and walk around getting signatures.
  • Call your local public radio and offer to do an interview. Share a summary of the Relief Petition's request with listeners, ask them to visit and sign on as a supporter of early release.
  • Call a community meeting and explain to those who attend what the Petition for Relief from Drug War Injustice is, and how they can help.

mia_101 03-01-2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by june5

Aside from that, I have a problem with no jail time for any felony, only because I have never seen anybody take plain probation seriously, for anything, I'm not just talking about drug offenders. Even if it's 30 days in jail, I think it is a good thing, if a person has never been in jail before, that might have a better effect on them than just probation.

I don't agree. My father is a criminal attorney, and I have listened to many stories over the years. The stress of the trial, knowing how close you are to prison, the enormous fines and community service, checking in with the PO, having UA's...this makes an impression on many, many people.

The most recent one he told me was of a woman caught up in drugs, ended up selling to afford her habit....he got her ten years probation and she cleaned up 100%. And remains so years after probation is over.

The prisons are clogged with drug offenders hurting no one but themselves. And you and I are paying to house them. You and I are paying welfare for their children. I'd rather pay for rehab and have them do their community service and walk the line on probation.

utcrush72 03-01-2007 04:58 AM

I totally agree with hopefaithnlove, there should rehabilitation, not prison time. That's why the recidivism rate is so high, duh!