Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   World Prison News (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   14 Mississippi inmate deaths since December 29th, 2019 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720968)

choclgs 01-04-2020 08:35 PM

14 Mississippi inmate deaths since December 29th, 2019

2 Mississippi inmates missing, 5 killed since Sunday; state prisons under lockdown

"Mississippi authorities were searching for two prisoners believed to have escaped Saturday from one of several prisons rocked by violence that has left at least five inmates dead in the past week.

Gov. Phil Bryant on Saturday said via Twitter that he has directed “the use of all necessary assets and personnel” to find the two inmates who escaped from the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.

The state Department of Public Safety has deployed state troopers and the highway patrol's special operations group to help the Department of Corrections find the two inmates and to help restore order at the troubled facility that they escaped from, Bryant said."

https://www.al.com/news/2020/01/2-mi...-lockdown.html

patchouli 01-21-2020 06:50 PM

Two more Mississippi inmates killed at Parchman prison. Inmate death toll reaches nine.

Two more inmates were killed at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, the Mississippi Department of Corrections announced Tuesday, bringing the death toll at prisons up to nine in less than a month.

MDOC identified one inmate as Timothy Hudspeth, 35, who was serving 10 years for possession of firearm by a felon. He was sentenced in April 2018 in Tate County. The second person, 30 years old, was not identified, pending notification of next of kin.

Read entire article below:

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...pPIYBpYUkO8B4g

patchouli 01-28-2020 08:33 PM

The body count is up to 12. 12....since December 29th, not quite a month :(

Mississippi 12th inmate death: Man, 26, found hanging in his cell in Parchman, coroner said

Read article HERE.

'Beaten, Broken, Tired': Prison Protest Draws Families, Activists to Mississippi Capitol

Families mourned the death of their loved ones while in Mississippi Department of Corrections custody and shared their fears for those who are still alive and enduring squalid conditions in a protest outside the State Capitol in downtown Jackson Friday. Hundreds of affected families joined formerly incarcerated people and activists from throughout Mississippi and beyond to protest inhumane conditions inside Mississippi prisons and jails.

Formerly incarcerated men and women spoke of unsafe drinking water and food in MDOC facilities and rat infestations, and mothers showed pictures of their sick and malnourished sons, who are denied medical attention or not given enough to eat.

Read article HERE.

My heart goes out to everyone with a loved one in the Mississippi Prison system. I wonder how your Legislators sleep at night :hmm: At least the Governor is moving to do something (Closing Unit 29 at Parchman), but there is so much more to be done:

New details on Parchman’s Unit 29 and what closing it will involve

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Governor Tate Reeves is asking the Department of Corrections to start shutting down Unit 29 at Parchman. That unit has been at the center of the recent violence we’ve reported this month. Hynefa Jones has lost both a brother and nephew who were inmates in Unit 29.

“It’s not a hopeful situation to me of closing 29 down," explained Jones. "Shut the whole prison down. Shut it down.”

Jones is among the growing number of voices calling for more radical change.

Read entire article HERE.

choclgs 01-29-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchouli (Post 7808940)
The body count is up to 12. 12....since December 29th, not quite a month :(

Mississippi 12th inmate death: Man, 26, found hanging in his cell in Parchman, coroner said

Read article HERE.

'Beaten, Broken, Tired': Prison Protest Draws Families, Activists to Mississippi Capitol

Families mourned the death of their loved ones while in Mississippi Department of Corrections custody and shared their fears for those who are still alive and enduring squalid conditions in a protest outside the State Capitol in downtown Jackson Friday. Hundreds of affected families joined formerly incarcerated people and activists from throughout Mississippi and beyond to protest inhumane conditions inside Mississippi prisons and jails.

Formerly incarcerated men and women spoke of unsafe drinking water and food in MDOC facilities and rat infestations, and mothers showed pictures of their sick and malnourished sons, who are denied medical attention or not given enough to eat.

Read article HERE.

My heart goes out to everyone with a loved one in the Mississippi Prison system. I wonder how your Legislators sleep at night :hmm: At least the Governor is moving to do something (Closing Unit 29 at Parchman), but there is so much more to be done:

New details on Parchman’s Unit 29 and what closing it will involve

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Governor Tate Reeves is asking the Department of Corrections to start shutting down Unit 29 at Parchman. That unit has been at the center of the recent violence we’ve reported this month. Hynefa Jones has lost both a brother and nephew who were inmates in Unit 29.

“It’s not a hopeful situation to me of closing 29 down," explained Jones. "Shut the whole prison down. Shut it down.”

Jones is among the growing number of voices calling for more radical change.

Read entire article HERE.

These state leaders should be ashamed, but when they constantly push this "tough on crime" agenda knowing they're sending men and women into conditions that are beyond inhumane that pests shouldn't be exposed to, I feel compelled to tell everyone vote, vote, vote!

patchouli 01-31-2020 08:21 PM

Unfortunately, I've had to once again change the title of this thread :(

Mississippi prison crisis: 14th state inmate death

Management and Training Corporation officials announced another state inmate has died at the Marshall County Correctional Facility.

MTC, which runs the prison, said in an email that 52-year-old Nora Ducksworth died around noon Thursday, apparently of natural causes.

Ducksworth marks the fourth state inmate death this week and the 14th since Dec. 29.

The state's prison system has been rocked by violence in recent weeks and for years by understaffing, under funding and deteriorated facilities.

Read entire article below:

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...d6vz45WJAG9gsg

RIP

sidewalker 02-01-2020 11:00 AM

Oh wow. That just stinks.

choclgs 02-05-2020 07:12 PM

The feds have stepped in.

"There's now a federal investigation into the conditions at four of Mississippi's prisons.

The U.S. Department of Justice's investigation is the latest in a long, deadly saga that mainly centers around the Mississippi State Penitentiary, otherwise known as Parchman.

The prisons being investigated are Parchman, the Southern Mississippi Correctional Institute, the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility and the Wilkinson County Correctional Facility."

https://wreg.com/2020/02/05/federal-...ons-announced/

Nomes 02-06-2020 08:21 PM

This is all so very sad to read. Those poor families, who've lost a loved one, and the families of those remaining (I don't call it surviving, not under the current conditions), it must be so worrying for them. My thoughts and condolences go out to all with any dealings with Mississippi DOC. (That includes staff, as some of them aren't a party to all the wrong doings, they're just there to earn a wage)