Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=649)
-   -   Compassionate release (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722873)

NUYORICAN 07-08-2020 08:15 PM

Compassionate release

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well and staying safe !
I just want to inquire if anyone knows about or has heard about the compassionate release program and what it entails, who might qualify, etc. I apologize if anyone has asked before or if there is already a thread on this. Thanks in advance !

Girl22472 07-08-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUYORICAN (Post 7823140)
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well and staying safe !

I just want to inquire if anyone knows about or has heard about the compassionate release program and what it entails, who might qualify, etc. I apologize if anyone has asked before or if there is already a thread on this. Thanks in advance !

If you go to bop.gov they have the "rules" there. I would link you to but I'm on my phone at the moment. But, apparently because of COVID they have added a few things.

On a regular basis CR is for things for people with terminal illnesses or a debilitating illness that gets worse over time. There are also provisions such as if the caregiver of the person's children gets a terminal illness or dies and there's no one else care for the kids it is possible to apply for.

I have heard that with COVID they have added things like having immune diseases or things that make you at more risk for the virus and I believe age.

It is first applied to with the warden and then it goes to court from there if it is denied.

NUYORICAN 07-08-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl22472 (Post 7823141)
If you go to bop.gov they have the "rules" there. I would link you to but I'm on my phone at the moment. But, apparently because of COVID they have added a few things.

On a regular basis CR is for things for people with terminal illnesses or a debilitating illness that gets worse over time. There are also provisions such as if the caregiver of the person's children gets a terminal illness or dies and there's no one else care for the kids it is possible to apply for.

I have heard that with COVID they have added things like having immune diseases or things that make you at more risk for the virus and I believe age.

It is first applied to with the warden and then it goes to court from there if it is denied.

Girl22472, Thank you so much for your quick response and this useful information !

fbopnomore 07-08-2020 08:53 PM

The bop has always been overly stingy with early releases for compassionate release. When the first step act became law last year, Congress added a provision to overcome the bop's faulty decision making (aka denial) to where now either the prisoner, or their lawyer can file a motion for early release directly with a US District Court Judge.