Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   California General Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=608)
-   -   Classification Committee Question (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720514)

spunkylark 11-18-2019 02:27 PM

Classification Committee Question

Hello-I do not know where to put this question. My friend has been at VSP for some time, and he is being transferred soon. He went to before the Classification Committee, and was told he would be transferred to Stockton. I saw him this past week-end, and he said that he was told he would be leaving this week for Folsom. This came from nowhere, and I am trying to find out, as is he, why this would happen. Any info would be great. Thanks!

miamac 11-18-2019 05:53 PM

This happens a lot. Especially if you're new to the system. They shoot for the 3 choices the inmates gives at committee, but the bottom line until you arrive and get off the bus, you just don't know. He may find himself at yet another prison by the time he's done being shuffled around. They consider a lot of things during placement including security level, medical/mental health needs, substance abuse treatment and most importantly open bed space. That accounts for the last minute changes.

When he's told to pack up his stuff, he might be able to get one last call in. If not, watch the inmate locator and as soon as he's checked in at his home facility, it will show there. That may take 2-4 days. Don't panic, he'll pop up. :)

spunkylark 11-18-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamac (Post 7801807)
This happens a lot. Especially if you're new to the system. They shoot for the 3 choices the inmates gives at committee, but the bottom line until you arrive and get off the bus, you just don't know. He may find himself at yet another prison by the time he's done being shuffled around. They consider a lot of things during placement including security level, medical/mental health needs, substance abuse treatment and most importantly open bed space. That accounts for the last minute changes.

When he's told to pack up his stuff, he might be able to get one last call in. If not, watch the inmate locator and as soon as he's checked in at his home facility, it will show there. That may take 2-4 days. Don't panic, he'll pop up. :)

Thanks. He is not new to the system at all... and has been in many years. He wasn't given choices that I know of, and understand all too well that things change at any moment. I will continue to go with the flow, and I have sadly learned not to panic. Too much experience with all of this.

miamac 11-18-2019 06:31 PM

Was the move his request or because of a Level Drop? Or another reason? I only ask because with the integration happening, I know people are not being given a choice. :/

spunkylark 11-18-2019 06:41 PM

Classification Committee

No, he wasn't dropped a level. He was attacked, and he and the other inmate went to Ad Seg. They said he couldn't stay, as he now had an enemy on the yard. Makes no sense to me as he was was one who was attacked. He is a level II. I am hoping he will not go to Ad Seg wherever he ends up.

miamac 11-18-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkylark (Post 7801813)
No, he wasn't dropped a level. He was attacked, and he and the other inmate went to Ad Seg. They said he couldn't stay, as he now had an enemy on the yard. Makes no sense to me as he was was one who was attacked. He is a level II. I am hoping he will not go to Ad Seg wherever he ends up.

Ahh, OK. I see. They do move people even if they weren't the instigator because they can't guarantee there isn't someone else looking to finish what was started.

Hope it all works out for the best in the end. These moves are stressful. Hang in there.

spunkylark 11-18-2019 08:02 PM

Classification

Thanks . Appreciate you responding. Now, it's just a wait and see. Fingers crossed that it ends well, and we can move on.

spunkylark 11-19-2019 11:30 AM

Changing Levels

Is it common for someone to go from a Level II prison to a level IV if their level has not changed?

gvalliant 11-19-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkylark (Post 7801887)
Is it common for someone to go from a Level II prison to a level IV if their level has not changed?

In a word, no. CDCR is not allowed to place in higher level. Maybe on a temporary basis. Very temporary. There would have to be a reason. Unusual circumstance like this, committee decision to put someone in higher level would almost certainly need to be reviewed, maybe audited.

Does not make sense.

spunkylark 11-19-2019 04:55 PM

Classification Committee

Thanks for responding. I am hoping that this is just a holding place for him until they decide where he should be. Just trying to be as informed as I can.