Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Connecticut Prison and Jail Specific Discussions (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Niantic Annex Visit Changes (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680153)

dah1389 07-09-2015 05:58 PM

Niantic Annex Visit Changes

Niantic Annex has changed their visitation policies regarding how many visits are allowed. It used to be 2 visits M-F of 2 hours each and 1 visit on the weekend of 1 hour. They are now only allowing 1 visit M-F of 1 hour and then the 1 hour visit on the weekend.

They had changed the schedule in June but weren't enforcing it. They were still allowing inmates to have visits all three of their visiting days, but cutting it off at one hour.

Unfortunately, today they decided they were going to start enforcing the amount of visits. I was turned away along with a bunch of others because our LO's had already had their visit earlier in the week. It is SO aggravating and I have no idea why they decided to change the schedule.

So for anyone who visits Niantic Annex, keep in mind that if you or someone has already visited in the beginning of the week, you won't be able to visit again until the weekend.

This only applies to the men's prison.

InsomniaCT 07-10-2015 09:03 AM

I think that CT is fairly well resourced where it comes to DOC; staffing is adequate (abundant compared to some systems), compensated well and screened (tend to be educated, experienced/trained). The prisons themselves are not horrifically overcrowded and we are fortunate in that the prisons are overseen by the state and not private corporations.

With that said, our visiting practices are minimal. One hour visits are inadequate. They are going in the wrong direction by decreasing the frequency and duration of available visits. It also seems odd to have varying visit practices by institution. It would be different, I guess, if it were by level...all level 2's have X visits, level 3's Y visits, and so on. But if I am a level 3 and placed in one facility, why should I have less or more visits than my peer? We say that visits are important to rehabilitation and reunification, yet do nothing to promote them.

I am surprised that the guys don't band together to challenge the visit practices. In the case of Niantic, it would be great for the people who have been impacted to file grievances, consistent with the Prison Litigation Reform Act, and "exhaust all administrative remedies" to then bring the case to court as a class action suit. I wonder if there would be any chance of improving conditions....

dah1389 07-13-2015 07:09 PM

Good news! My boyfriend and another inmate complained about their visits being turned away last week. The captain said it was a mistake and that inmates are allowed visits on all three of their visiting days. I went there tonight and double checked with the CO, so that was a major relief.

I'm still not sure why they changed it from 2 hours to only 1 hour though. But I'll take what I can get.

InsomniaCT 07-14-2015 09:15 PM

Awesome news! I am glad that the news got better than it was, and that the Captain acknowledged it was a mistake. Stuff happens all the time, but I really respect it when people are straight up when it was in error.

Enjoy those visits!