Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Federal Prisons (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=974)
-   -   FCI Cumberland (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178241)

lisatwin 01-31-2006 12:49 PM

FCI Cumberland

My boyfriend was just sent to camp in Cumberland MD, does anyone out there have a loved one at that facility?

gladtobeout 10-09-2006 06:55 PM

been there

i was just released from there...it is not that bad...its a minimum security place...the best it gets at the fed level...the food is all processed i spent most of my time eating salads which helped me lose 25lbs...you have plenty of time to work out which also helped me get in shape...it is a working camp so you will be required to get a job there or they will give you one...you work from 7-3 usually...breakfast is at 6am lunch is around 11 and dinner around 4:30...commissary is on monday and tuesday depending if you are in the general or program until...cumberland has a drug treatment program which alot of the inmates there are either already in or waiting to get into the program...i hear they are going to turn the whole place into a program camp soon...visitation is on sat sun from 8-3 and monday and friday from 4:30-8...youll be issued a 3 green uniform sets and five pairs of boxers and undershirts...more can be purchased through commissary...the sleeping arrangements are pretty cramped...there are 2 2 story buildings which are each divided into four wings...on each wing there are 8 cubes...4 cubes on each side about 15ftx15ft i would say...rough estimate...in each cube there are 3 sets of bunk beds...along with 6 lockers...you will probably have a top bunk since people who have been there longer get the choice of where they want to sleep...all you blankets and sheets should be given to you when you get there...make sure you ask the correctional officer for a pillow...i didnt get one until my 4th day there...the showers are dorm style with 4 stand up showers with shower curtains...each wing has their own set of showers...on each wing there is also two toilets with doors that do lock just like any mcdonalds rest room...there are also two urinals and 4 sinks...each unit also has 2 washers and 2 dryers along with 2 microwaves so you can warm up some food that you get from commissary...they also take laundry bags everyday around 11am right after lunch and you can get them back the next day usually except on the weekends...their are inmate counts a few times a day monday through friday roughly at midnight, 3am, 4pm, 9pm saturday and sunday midnight 3am 10am 4pm and 9pm...the 10am and all the 4pm counts are stand up counts so you must be awake and standing when the officers come around to count you...m-f from after dinner around 4:30 to 8pm you have free time to do whatever you want...they have classes you can take including: music, business, educational programs, CDL license, etc. also they have a gym with exercise equipment, all cardio stuff though, there are no weights...they have 2 pullup/dip bars outside and a softball field with a gravel track around it that you can walk on...5 laps=1 mile...the cafeteria is basically set up like highschool you stand in line they serve you an entree and you have a few choices off of the salad and side bar which is set up buffet style...they usually have tea, milk, water, or koolaid to drink...you have to be in your unit at 8pm and you arent allowed outside again until the next day...lights out is usually around 11 depending on the wing...each wing has one TV room that gets cable TV channels...usually its pretty busy in their so if you are new there you probably wont have any choice as to what youll get to watch, most nights sports are on...whatever is in season...NBA...NFL...college football and basketball atleast...other then that its usually on BET music videos...a few times a week they broadcast a movie on the closed circuit tv channel and you most of the time you can find them on atleast a few of the tvs throughout the unit...sleeping can be tough if you are a light sleeper because you can hear everyone snoring talking playing cards or using the bathroom...the cubes as i mentioned dont have walls that close each cube off from another...those walls are about 8 feet tall but from the top bunk you can see overtop of the wall into the next cube so sound travels pretty well...each wing also has a waterfountain and there is an ice machine in each unit...their are also vending machines on the compound that you can use with your inmate ID card which you can put money on at the commissary...there is a barbershop and a library...you are allowed 300minutes on the phone a month and can only talk for 15 minutes at a time...you can only use the phone on weekdays before 7am and after 4:30pm...their are 12 payphones that you can use in each unit...uniforms must be worn at all times between 7-3...unless you are working out during those times...you can go to breakfast and dinner in shorts or sweats and a tshirt or sweatshirt if you purchase them from commissary or if someone in there gives you one of their old ones which is rare...most of the inmates are in there for drugs or white collar crimes...while i was there there were no fights or sexual abuse so if you saw anything on tv that worried dont let it get to you...cumberland along with all federal prison camps are nothing like the prisons you see on TV or movies...just try and be respectful of other inmates and youll have nothing to worry about but dont let them try and intimidate you or scare you...im being pretty random with this whole thing so if anyone needs any clarity just let me know and i can clarify or answer any other questions you might have but i think that gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect there...i self surrendered so if you would like more information on that process just ask...take care and goodluck...time will fly once you get into a routine

missingdad418 10-11-2006 07:20 AM

My dad is in this facility I haven't visited him because I am in Massachusetts but I enjoyed reading the last post to get a visual of what it's like there for him...I try not to ask too many questions about it when I talk to him on the phone

DK4 01-26-2007 05:01 PM

Visitation In Cumberland

Visitation.

My brother-in-law is in Cumberland since early November. I sent my forms for visitation 8 weeks ago , and I haven't received any answer.

What do I have to do?

Thanks,

Bruno

labery9 08-14-2007 03:39 PM

My fiance is in there and we are supose to get married in october has any one ever gotten married there before.

mzpeachez 09-24-2007 01:47 PM

Thank you for the detailed information about Cumberland

SaintsBabyGirl 11-24-2007 02:16 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed post...My fiance was told he was going to Cumberland but we would rather Morgantown....I hear it's a wait to get in Morgantown but who knows whats true and whats rumors...anyway that really cleared up alot for me...he has been in supermax in Baltimore and now Ohio so the camp definately sounds much better.

inthenet 01-08-2008 11:25 AM

Email / Computer classes inside

Do inmates have access to email inside FCI Cumberland? Are there computer classes like web design or HTML offered inside the system?

maylinglove 01-21-2008 03:22 PM

Hi..yes, they are able to email but there is no computer classes that I am aware of...My husband emails me everyday though

Ifoundhim 01-21-2008 08:36 PM

Hi my dad is at FCI Cumberland & he emails me several times a day. Not sure about the classes.

SaintsBabyGirl 02-05-2008 08:52 PM

Cumberland, Maryland ????

Has anyone ever heard of a camp in Cumberland Maryland? My fiance may end up there and I have not been able to find out any information on it.

Ifoundhim 02-06-2008 09:47 AM

The camp is next door to the medium FCI.

Astarflyr 02-06-2008 01:54 PM

Definately NO COMPUTER CLASSES. Also no internet access...... SORRY..........

Mark H

SaintsBabyGirl 02-06-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifoundhim
The camp is next door to the medium FCI.

thanks....do u have any details about the place?

Astarflyr 02-07-2008 05:33 AM

Currently it has a population of 331 which means that there are not going to be a lot of people out there that have been there. Probably pretty safe to say that its about like all the other Camps.

More specific quesitons, just ask.

Mark H

Ifoundhim 02-07-2008 06:33 AM

My dad's at the FCI. All I know about it is that I drive past there when I go to visit. Sorry.

GOODT 02-07-2008 07:19 PM

Hi

I would of been sent there but requested fairton nj instead as it was closer to where I was living in maryland ..... double check the population as I thought it was much higher then stated above

joe

SaintsBabyGirl 02-17-2008 06:23 PM

thanks all, I still haven't been able to find out any real details on the place...I'm really hoping they send my fiance to Morgantown but Cumberland might be where he ends up.

ccl1957 05-13-2008 02:04 PM

thanks for the detailed post on cumberland. My husband was just sent there and it scared the hell outta me, he is over 330 miles away. Thank you for easing my mind alittle on how things are in there. He just got done doing 3yrs in state so I guess this will be much better conditions. Thank you again...........

onegoodreason 05-20-2008 01:20 PM

I was recently released from Cumberland. I was at the Camp. The only real issue is some of the staff are completely miserable, vile human beings and the endless boredom that all inmates deal with. If anyone has any questions about it please feel free to send me an email.

Softlips 05-27-2008 03:31 AM

Onegoodreason,

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions pertaining to Camp. I was wondering though, if I could PM you later? Also, how is the job search, housing, and educational search in the Baltimore area? Good luck to you, and I hope you don't ever have to experience BOP or DOC....best of wishes to you.

eum78 08-10-2008 10:10 PM

Fci Cumberland

Does anyone have any information on FCI Cumberland? My man has just been transferred there from FCI Hazelton.

eum78 08-10-2008 10:19 PM

Cumberland Fci

Does anyone here have any loved ones at Cumberland FCI ?

Fats2008_Tae 08-26-2008 07:12 PM

Loved One In FCI Cumberland

Yes, I do & we are suppose to be getting married but I don't know where to start?:(

Fats2008_Tae 08-26-2008 07:16 PM

Info!

What would you like to know?