Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Execution Watch (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Death Penalty Methods, State by State. (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62752)

softheart 05-27-2004 01:13 PM

Death Penalty Methods, State by State.

The death penalty laws in each state and the District
of Columbia. Six
states with the death penalty have not had an
execution since 1976:
Connecticut, Kansas, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New
York and South Dakota.

ALABAMA - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
electrocution.

ALASKA - No death penalty.

ARIZONA - Lethal injection for those sentenced after
Nov. 15, 1992; others
may select injection or lethal gas.

ARKANSAS - Lethal injection for those whose offense
occurred after July 4,
1983; others may select injection or electrocution.

CALIFORNIA - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
gas.

COLORADO - Lethal injection.

CONNECTICUT - Lethal injection.

DELAWARE - Lethal injection.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - No death penalty.

FLORIDA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

GEORGIA - Lethal injection.

HAWAII - No death penalty.

IDAHO - Firing squad if lethal injection is
"impractical."

ILLINOIS - Lethal injection; electrocution authorized
if injection is ever
held to be unconstitutional.

INDIANA - Lethal injection.

IOWA - No death penalty.

KANSAS - Lethal injection.

KENTUCKY - Lethal injection for those convicted after
March 31, 1998;
others may select lethal injection or electrocution.

LOUISIANA - Lethal injection.

MAINE - No death penalty.

MARYLAND - Lethal injection for those whose offense
occurred on or after
March 25, 1994; others may select injection or gas.

MASSACHUSETTS - No death penalty.

MICHIGAN - No death penalty.

MINNESOTA - No death penalty.

MISSISSIPPI - Lethal injection.

MISSOURI - Lethal injection or lethal gas; statute
leaves unclear whether
decision to be made by inmate or director of state
Department of
Corrections.

MONTANA - Lethal injection.

NEBRASKA - Electrocution.

NEVADA - Lethal injection.

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Hanging only if lethal injection
cannot be given.

NEW JERSEY - Lethal injection.

NEW MEXICO - Lethal injection.

NEW YORK - Lethal injection.

NORTH CAROLINA - Lethal injection.

NORTH DAKOTA - No death penalty.

OHIO - Lethal injection.

OKLAHOMA - Electrocution if lethal injection is ever
held to be
unconstitutional; firing squad if both injection and
electrocution are
held unconstitutional.

OREGON - Lethal injection.

PENNSYLVANIA - Lethal injection.

RHODE ISLAND - No death penalty.

SOUTH CAROLINA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

SOUTH DAKOTA - Lethal injection.

TENNESSEE - Lethal injection for those sentenced after
Jan. 1, 1999;
others may select electric chair or injection.

TEXAS - Lethal injection.

UTAH - Lethal injection; firing squad available to
inmates who chose it
prior to passage of legislation this year banning the
practice.

VERMONT - No death penalty.

VIRGINIA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

WASHINGTON - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
hanging.

WEST VIRGINIA - No death penalty.

WISCONSIN - No death penalty.

WYOMING - Lethal gas if lethal injection is ever held
to be
unconstitutional.

Kyla 05-27-2004 04:22 PM

Softie, thanks for posting this.
I see alot of states have no death penalty, and the rest use the barbaric methods. I wish the laws all stood in par, and the death penalty no longer existed. One day I pray you can post, no death penalty in any states.

Just Me 1973 07-18-2004 02:22 AM

Barbaric! Outragous. Firing squad? Hanging? What year are we in?? Electrocution?? And this and that method if this or that method won't work... It all makes me feel sick! I am with you, Kayla. I hope that one day we will read no death penalty all over...

Carol831 08-25-2004 05:39 AM

I almost feel sorry for the people who back the death penalty - thats a lot of hate people carry in their hearts and thats not healthy. You can't possibly carry JESUS and HATE in the one heart....one can't be used with the other. My heart is hurting right now as I sit in UK thinking of Jasen Busby in 11 hours he will be dead and also James Allridge will be the same way 24 hours later....OH LORD intervene on these mens lives and put them behind bars until YOU take them.
I can't imagine for a moment how these men must be feeling knowing that tonight they will not be here to smell the air, I sympathise with their families and I will do a lot of praying throughout the next two days.
I can't understand this method of death and how can one make a choice on how he/she should die...pathetic!!! I am planning to write to DR prisoners and if only to offer support, love and let them know I care.....and not to judge them for what they have done....this is God's job and I could never do it as well as He can.

God's Blessings one and all

J.J 08-25-2004 07:54 AM

:( You're right Carol people carrying hate in their hearts are NOT healthy, that's why we live in such a sick world, where these CRIMES such as executions are allowed to be carried out in the name of "justice".Even when a person changes and becomes rehabilitated and valuably contributes to others, to be a part of healing our diseased soceity; it means nothing. I really can't get over that:mad:. Let's also pray that the Lord will remove the hate from these peoples hearts so that we can totally eradicate this terrible demon of the death penalty from our midst. I am really very sorry for the victims and their families, but execution does not solve anything EVER, change things or bring the victims back, it cause more agony and pain to other innocents like the families of the inmates.I'm thinking of these men and their families too. :broken:I can't imagine the pain, and thoughts they're experiencing right now - it's unbearable to try and think of it. Please God let it all stop.

Eric's Homegirl 08-26-2004 08:42 AM

How sick and twisted can it get??? Firing squads or hangings and the inmate has the
right to choose how they want to be murdered by the State in which they are serving?
I don't believe in the Death Penality for any state, how do these people live with the
guilt of taking another life....questions to answers unknown

coryswife 09-19-2004 08:16 AM

You have to hold a lot of hate inside yourself to support the death penalty. Those barbaric methods are cruel and wrong. i live in iowa where the is no death penalty!!

jcattjkatt 03-14-2006 04:25 PM

I'm from the UK and i wish we still had the death penalty here,if these animals can cause so much pain and fear to thier victims,not to mention what thier family and friends go through.They dont deserve to die peacefully,i think the crime should fit the punishishment.What if it was some one really close to you ???

elsapunzi 06-08-2006 05:34 PM

as previously said and with all due respect to your views jcattjkatt i am so sorry for you that you must carry around so much hate in your heart dont you believe that jesus so loved us all and died so that we might be forgiven our sins, the DP is wrong in and under any circumstances, sometimes these killings take place on the spur of the moment and are not premeditated at all, and but for the grace of god it could be anyone of us sitting on death row, but we are none of us god to judge, as for them being animals, what a horrible and heartbreaking thing to teach our children, who after all are the future, i am happy and proud to say i dont agree with the dp at all and i am in the u k but will continue to do my bit in the fight against the DP.

koala 06-09-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcattjkatt
I'm from the UK and i wish we still had the death penalty here,if these animals can cause so much pain and fear to thier victims,not to mention what thier family and friends go through.They dont deserve to die peacefully,i think the crime should fit the punishishment.What if it was some one really close to you ???

It was someone close to me - my only two children. Despite the pain I felt then and still feel today I did not and still would not wish the Death Penalty on the person who took my children. Killing is NOT the answer, all that achieves is more broken lives.

elsapunzi 06-09-2006 06:32 AM

kOALA i think you are amazing and a real credit to us all,thank you

softheart 06-09-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcattjkatt

It was someone close to me, my Son and Daughter in Law. The DP accomplishes nothing. It didn't bring my Loved ones back. All it did is cause another family the same kind of hurt and pain I felt. For what?????? So we can say you hurt me I will hurt yours. That kind of thinking and anger is one of the reasons the world is in the shape it is in. I chose to forgive rather then keep my heart filled with hate and anger. Because for me that is the only way to find true peace and closure.

softie

Ness 06-10-2006 07:20 AM

Elsa, I agree!!! Koala and Softie you are amazing!!!

Ness

studwieser1 06-22-2006 05:08 PM

heres a question that they may never be able to answer.

The bible states "thou shall not kill". but this only applies to us, not the judicial system. whats up with that? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Its nonsence!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

StopTheEvil 07-01-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studwieser1
The bible states "thou shall not kill". but this only applies to us, not the judicial system. whats up with that? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Its nonsence!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yes, I agree with you studwieser.

Who are they to play god?!!:confused::angry:

Porifera 03-14-2007 10:22 PM

hanging??? firing squad??? electrocution??? i thought it was 2007!!!!!!!!!!!

ronslady 04-26-2008 09:45 PM

i believe death pen is wrong. what is it solving? if you are suppose to be so good what makes you good enough to make a decision to kill someone, they are not god.

sox_pats 05-08-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studwieser1 (Post 2030652)
The bible states "thou shall not kill". but this only applies to us, not the judicial system. whats up with that?

I am not here to judge anybody, but there is ample biblical evidence of the death penalty.

I am not to say if I am for, or against it, or to tell you to be, but here is information I have discovered. Saying that if you believe in the death penatly makes it so you cant have jesus in your heart, offends me.
What I am presenting, is just Biblical views on the death penatly, and not the worlds view.

"Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder."
Laymen and those not initiated sometimes get ahead of themselves and carelessly believe that the Bible forbids the death penalty because of this commandment. But this is a great mistake. It is patently absurd that God who himself often in the Bible commands death penalty.
Reasons:
1. Murder (Gen 9:6, Ex 21:12, Numb 35:16-21).

"For the Lord is a God of retribution; he will repay in full." Jer 51:56
The principle found in the words "an eye for an eye" has always been more or less found in every legal system of every country in the world. The Biblical principle of "eye for eye" lays the foundation for the death penalty. The fundamental rule is that a life has to be paid for with a life. The Biblical expression "life for life" (Ex 21:23)

New testament:
Matt 15:3-4
"Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ´Honor your father and mother´ and ´Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death´."

reference: "The Death Penalty, A Defence"

again, I am not pushing these views on anybody, just dispelling the horrible rumor somebody started that if you believed in the death penalty, you dont have jesus.
If you would like the URL to the rest of this, PM me.

sweetnina 05-08-2008 12:09 PM

So then for me the Bible is wrong too.

DaveMoff 05-15-2008 10:51 PM

The law of the United States is not in any way derived from the Bible. Be it Old Testament Jewish tribal law or New Testament platitudes.

If the sole reference in the New Testament is to authorize capital punishment for cursing one's father or mother, most of us probably merit execution. To my knowledge, no one in America is on Death Row for cursing their parents.

To my knowledge, the only murderer referred to in the New Testament is Barabbas, who was pardoned by Pontius Pilate. And apart from the crucifixion, the only execution mentioned is one Jesus stopped, saying: "let him who is without sin among you cast the first stone".

As to studying the Bible via web pages with agendas, I won't comment. Other than to say that that displays even less knowledge than basing a contemporary argument on a book that is thousands of years old and has been retranslated so many times that in many cases we do not know the wording of the original texts.

There is, for example, evidence that Matthew was not born until well after Jesus died (and his Gospel notes many events which seem to escape the notice of the others). Shouldn't his words be condemned on the basis that he is "bearing false witness"? And what would be the appropriate punishment for that?

aatorres80 05-17-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox_pats (Post 3641330)

I am not here to judge anybody, but there is ample biblical evidence of the death penalty.

I am not to say if I am for, or against it, or to tell you to be, but here is information I have discovered. Saying that if you believe in the death penatly makes it so you cant have jesus in your heart, offends me.
What I am presenting, is just Biblical views on the death penatly, and not the worlds view.

"Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder."
Laymen and those not initiated sometimes get ahead of themselves and carelessly believe that the Bible forbids the death penalty because of this commandment. But this is a great mistake. It is patently absurd that God who himself often in the Bible commands death penalty.
Reasons:
1. Murder (Gen 9:6, Ex 21:12, Numb 35:16-21).

"For the Lord is a God of retribution; he will repay in full." Jer 51:56
The principle found in the words "an eye for an eye" has always been more or less found in every legal system of every country in the world. The Biblical principle of "eye for eye" lays the foundation for the death penalty. The fundamental rule is that a life has to be paid for with a life. The Biblical expression "life for life" (Ex 21:23)

New testament:
Matt 15:3-4
"Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ´Honor your father and mother´ and ´Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death´."

reference: "The Death Penalty, A Defence"

again, I am not pushing these views on anybody, just dispelling the horrible rumor somebody started that if you believed in the death penalty, you dont have jesus.

If you would like the URL to the rest of this, PM me.

"EXODUS 20:13 YOU SHAL NOT MURDER"
THE DEATH PENALTY IS MURDER!

MUDER (műr'dər) n. - THE UNLAWFUL KILLING OF ONE HUMAN BY ANOTHER, ESPECIALLY WITH PREMEDITATED MALICE.

"Taken from the American Heritage Dictionary"

sweetnina 05-18-2008 01:22 AM

I am thankful that we in Europe dont need any method of execution because we know that it is wrong to punish killing with killing.
And we have LESS crime than America.
Think about that.

gypsysmagician 08-31-2008 04:12 AM

I indeed want to imply that everyone that has Jesus in their hearts could never want this kind of killings.
I have become a Christian in Europe and not in Texas, where there is supposed to be the Bible Belt of the USA. And indeed the Bible has been translated by several. Still if in Texas and other States they want to apply the Old Testament then I wonder why they have not even built more prisons. Half of the population should be imprisoned then because how many have insulted their parents and how many have committed adultery? There was the death penalty on that too. So they only pick out a part and the rest does not apply? This is all so wrong and I hope that the rest of the world will at least manage to get this across to the USA one day soon that they have to change that. Each state can do their own there, death row inmates are not even treated equally in the same country. How can it be that some of them are allowed contact visits and TV and can work and others have none of those priviledges just because a few prisoners manage to escape from a prison for some reason. And this leads to prisoners being kept there in a unit worse than animals.
But there are more and more people worldwide standing up against this and I myself take every opportunity to let people know about that ever since I have an insight of what is going on there. I cannot stay quiet anymore. And this is the only way. To reach more people and let them know so they can join in the fight. I know I will fight against that as long as I am able to. Because I have a loved one that is suffering in this hell and most of all he is innocent.

DaveMoff 09-01-2008 06:35 PM

It is strange that death penalty supporters often claim to be "Christians", and spout the phrase "an eye for an eye" rather freely. But the phrase "eye for eye" appears in the Old Testament and in a context which does not refer to capital punishment. The New Testament quotes Jesus as citing that passage in question and adding: "but I say unto you, if one shall smite thee on the cheek, turn to him the other cheek", etc.

"an eye for an eye" is not a Christian concept.

elsapunzi 09-02-2008 02:23 AM

i am always going to take every opportunity to speak out against the death penelty, where it is mentioned by another poster thou shall not bear false witness, in the early part of the bible it says those who bears false witness against another shall also suffer the same fate, so therefore those involved with carrying out or ordering an execution should also be executed if they want to follow what the bible says