Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Health Care (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Remedies for a Bad Head Cold? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720641)

Daughter_26 12-03-2019 08:47 AM

Remedies for a Bad Head Cold?

Looking for advice from any former inmates on how to deal with a bad head-cold while inside? Any remedies that don't involve waiting for commissary to get over the counter meds... things such as gargling warm salt water for a sore throat. My loved one is suffering and I was just thinking that maybe someone here had any tips / tricks.

Much appreciated

fbopnomore 12-03-2019 02:01 PM

If he isn't scheduled for commissary, he can sign up for sick call and request an appropriate "formulary" medication. Even though over the counter medications have to be purchased at the commissary, the formulary often has the exact same drug at a different strength, or an alternative that can be prescribed by the medical staff and dispensed by the prison pharmacy.

I won't comment about looking around for what he needs from someone else, because that is definitely a violation of prison rules.

His_Queen13 12-04-2019 12:04 AM

Not a former inmate but have dealt with quite a few colds. They can try to make their own Neti pot. Funneling salt water through their sinuses. Also, depending on how warm the water is in the unit or if there is a microwave, they can wet a washcloth and heat it, then rest it on their sinuses.

Desertdweller11 12-06-2019 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daughter_26 (Post 7803298)
Looking for advice from any former inmates on how to deal with a bad head-cold while inside? Any remedies that don't involve waiting for commissary to get over the counter meds... things such as gargling warm salt water for a sore throat. My loved one is suffering and I was just thinking that maybe someone here had any tips / tricks.

Much appreciated

Tell him to drink lots of hot liquids and fluids to stay hydrated and at night only take an antihistamine to prevent mucus drainage into his chest. We used to eat a glop of Vicks if we developed a cough. Gross but it works. And wash his hands.

yourself 12-06-2019 02:49 PM

Hot sauce. Anything that makes your nose run will blow his sinuses for 10 minutes and alleviate some of that pressure.

GaReform 12-07-2019 03:21 PM

You're right! My go to is liquid crab boil. I would take a Q-tip & swap a tiny bit right under my nose when I was congested with a head cold or sinus. Opened it right up. One day I used it on my daughter & didn't realize her nose was rubbed from blowing it. She lit up like Christmas & refuses to let me suggest anything like that again. But it did work!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourself (Post 7803628)
Hot sauce. Anything that makes your nose run will blow his sinuses for 10 minutes and alleviate some of that pressure.

Firebrand 12-07-2019 04:18 PM

1. Drink lots of water....lots.

2. Wrap your head up at night when sleeping with a bath towel or a thermal top. You want to keep what body heat you can about your head to avoid temperature extremes at night in cells or dorms that are too cold.

3. Save the orange pees off the oranges that you can find. Soak them in hot water and drink it.

4. Keep your feet covered as much as possible. Avoid going bare footed when possible.

5. Try to find raw, uncooked peppers like Jalapenos, Serrano or Chili Pi tines that are grown the gardens and to be found in the kitchen. Eat them....for better or worse.....more vitamin c than orange by a long shot.

6. Sip hot water....even if it's out of a hot pot to soothe the throat.

7. Always look for aspirin first to fight the pain if possible....aspirin has a fever reducer in it that many others don't have.

8. Wash your hands as much as possible. You got sick because of something you touched chances are.

Daughter_26 12-09-2019 01:34 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

much much appreciated.. excited to pass all of this information along to my loved one.

you are all very kind to share.