Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Stealing Identity (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523)

soraya 05-02-2002 03:39 AM

Stealing Identity

A friend of mine on death row told me he paid a guy money to open an email account for him. this guy also asked him for his social security number. Now I know you don't need that to open any kind of email account. But Ralph gave it anyway, thinking it was kinda weird, but just really wanted an email account. Yeah, you guessed it, this guy never contacted Ralph again, afterreceiving the money and the social security number. Now this not only sounds like a big scam, but I immedialty thought this guy is playing a 'smart' game. He probably thinks, these people are on death row and will never get out anymore. so with the social security number he can take over their identity and open account, get credit cards and all that on the guys name....someone ever heard a similar story?

badkarma3 05-02-2002 04:59 AM

soraya,This is unbelievable.Do you have this guys name,or should I say,the name he used.This really needs to be followed up at once.Let me know if there is anything I can do.God Bless.................................Spencer

soraya 05-02-2002 05:08 AM

Spencer, I will dig through my letters again and if I don't find it, I'll ask Ralph. This also pissed me off.

Budwoman 05-02-2002 09:51 AM

SORAYA:

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS INFREQUENTLY. THAT TYPE SITUATION HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I KNOW OF CASES THAT PEOPLE HAVE SEARCHED THE OBITUARIES TO GET NAMES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED AND SEARCHED OUT THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS IN ORDER TO HAVE A NEW IDENTITY.....

THAT IS WHY I WILL NEVER GIVE ANYONE AND I DO MEAN ANYONE MY SS#..... I HAVE HAD STORES ASK FOR IT WHEN I WRITE A CHECK AND I ALWAYS REFUSE..... THAT IS YOUR MAIN LINK TO WHO YOU ARE.... NEVER GIVE THAT INFORMATION TO ANYONE...

DONNA

sherri13 05-02-2002 11:08 AM

I WISH I COULD SAY THIS IS AN UNBELIEVEABLE STORY BUT LIKE DONNA SAID IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND THAT IS SCARY!! IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO STEAL SOMEONE'S IDENTITY--

torrey 05-02-2002 11:27 AM

Maybe he will assume his identity and get sent to death row.
Wouldn't that be something to try to prove who you are NOT?

sherri13 05-02-2002 11:31 AM

THAT WOULD DEFINATELY BE REAPING WHAT YOU SOW

Sabine 05-02-2002 01:00 PM

so many people try to get money with the faith of death row prisoners. i know that many take money to make webpages for them - and this is only the next step. but your friend must have an address - where he sends the money too.
yours

sabine

David 05-02-2002 01:20 PM

Let us know when you find the name. He deserves some BOLD print warning & investigation.

vegas 05-17-2002 01:24 AM

stealing Identity

YES, i have heard of this. there was a posting this week in a club i belong to. all prisoners are at risk! that is the latest
scam...

Shortie 05-17-2002 11:09 PM

LET ME SAY FOR RALPH HE NEEDS TO HAVE YOU DO A RECORDS CHECK ON HIM.. IT IS LIKE A CREDIT CHECK BUT DEEPER THEN THAT. IT WOULD TELL YOU IF ANYONE IS ACCESSING ANY KIND OF AN ACCOUNT UNDER HIS NAME OR SSN.

zana82 01-12-2020 06:38 PM

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by torrey (Post 6723)
Maybe he will assume his identity and get sent to death row.
Wouldn't that be something to try to prove who you are NOT?

That would be some amazing karma :boogie: