Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooking & Recipes (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Stuffing or Dressing? Turkey Day dilemma (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720604)

sidewalker 11-28-2019 07:22 AM

Stuffing or Dressing? Turkey Day dilemma

Well not for me exactly, since I dont think I'll do either.

Hub bought a small turkey for T day. Its in the brine as we speak.
I had a heck of a time finding something to put it in to brine, since Ive been using my very large pot as an outside water pot for the dog....lol.
So...I found a bucket we gave our son last yr filled with car wash stuff, and washed it out and filled it with salt water.
Gonna get it out later this morning.
I'll be doing the green bean casserole and some yams, plus the turkey.
Since there is only 3 of us, that should be plenty!
oops.....just realized I need cranberry sauce. Must have with turkey. (for me anyway)
I have stuffed turkey's before, and Ive also done dressing. Used to love stuffing but found that if you add enough broth to dressing, its just as good.

Whats anyone doing if anything this year?

onedayatatime13 11-28-2019 07:30 AM

I'm making my dressing now. I dont like it in the bird. Sausage, onions, garlic, and celery. 2 bags of pepperidge farm cubed bread. I used chicken stock to moisten it all.

Now it is in a bowl and I'll fry it up in butter before it goes in the baking dish. It's my grandmother's recipe. Top gets crunchy, but inside stays moist

Girl22472 11-28-2019 03:24 PM

I guess this reply may be a little late But I do things a little differently. Every time I make my stuffing for someone new they rave and rave about it and I just laugh. Literally all I do is I fry up a roll of sausage and add it to a Box stuffing its one roll per Box. I laugh because it is just so easy yet everyone loves it.

sidewalker 11-29-2019 08:35 AM

I ended up just doing a box stuffing as well(Stove Top). Wow!
Very surprised how good it was! Really surprised.
My turkey was ok. Or maybe I was so tired I coudldnt taste it....lol.
We bought a Pecan pie from the local grocery store, but forgot whipped cream. OH well. I was so full, I didnt have any yesterday but maybe today.
So now I have a very full fridge as well. Gotta think of alot of dishes to make with turkey.

Turkey soup, or chili.......Maybe some noodle thing with turkey.....huum..

onedayatatime13 11-29-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewalker (Post 7802860)
I ended up just doing a box stuffing as well(Stove Top). Wow!
Very surprised how good it was! Really surprised.
My turkey was ok. Or maybe I was so tired I coudldnt taste it....lol.
We bought a Pecan pie from the local grocery store, but forgot whipped cream. OH well. I was so full, I didnt have any yesterday but maybe today.
So now I have a very full fridge as well. Gotta think of alot of dishes to make with turkey.

Turkey soup, or chili.......Maybe some noodle thing with turkey.....huum..

I made a casserole of all the left overs a few years back. Basically layered it all and baked it. Super easy.

Make bone broth from carcass in the instant pot. It takes 2 to 3 hours.

sidewalker 11-30-2019 08:31 AM

I lol'ed at my son last night......
He made a pizza out of the leftovers.:faints:

Went out and bought a pizza crust, and added a bunch of stuff that was leftover. Even the yams and cranberry sauce:faints:
He insisted I try it.:poke:
Truth? It was not horrible.

today I think I'll do the soup. Or at least make some broth/stock