Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1506)
-   -   After you have read a letter from a loved one in prison you.... (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556677)

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 08:35 AM

After you have read a letter from a loved one in prison you....

When I get a letter from my man, after I have read it, I put a number on it, (1) (2) (3) etc, in the order I get the letters, so I know which letter I got, in which order. I then put them all in a shoebox. Once the shoe box is full, I guess it will mean I need to buy more shoes so I get another shoe box lol.

So after you have read your loved ones letter, what do you do with the letter?

J.G

hismess 07-30-2011 09:03 AM

mine go in a huge plastic folder but its full. so now i have a drawer of my night stand full of them as well. one day before he comes home, i need to get a box and put them in it. may actually do that today. lol :)

limit2love 07-30-2011 09:07 AM

I open the letter and then keep it in the envelope and stack it up with the rest of them on my tv stand...I WILL move them eventually, but at least right there they are at arms reach. When I get too many I'll scrapbook them. I don't want them in a box. I also don't want them that far away from me...

:heart:

HazelEyez305 07-30-2011 09:12 AM

I put mine between the pages of my journal, which sits on my nightstand... always within arms reach when i'm having an emotional moment. He doesn't write that much, we mostly just email... But there's been a few, and I'll cherish them forever... In the past 7 years, this has been the first time he's ever actually written me a letter. :heart:

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIS MESS (Post 6268896)
mine go in a huge plastic folder but its full. so now i have a drawer of my night stand full of them as well. one day before he comes home, i need to get a box and put them in it. may actually do that today. lol :)

hehe, sounds like a good idea :D

J.G

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysgrl (Post 6268900)
I open the letter and then keep it in the envelope and stack it up with the rest of them on my tv stand...I WILL move them eventually, but at least right there they are at arms reach. When I get too many I'll scrapbook them. I don't want them in a box. I also don't want them that far away from me...

:heart:

I cant do that, I have far too many of them :O Have only been writing to each other for a few months, but I often get a letter every day, sometimes more then one letter a day. my shoe box is already about to burst lol. I wouldnt be able to put them on the TV stand, they just wouldnt all fit there.
But I have the shoe box on the table which is just out of arms reach from me. I also keep one of his letters under the pillow he would normally use in bed. A little weird maybe, but it helps me feel like hes still there to a degree.

J.G

YOUNGnGIFTED 07-30-2011 09:16 AM

I write the date on each envelope of when he wrote it. I then place them page by page in a plastic sheet protector and place it, in order for that month. I write the month on the outside and then put it in a huge box in my closet.

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazelEyez305 (Post 6268907)
I put mine between the pages of my journal, which sits on my nightstand... always within arms reach when i'm having an emotional moment. He doesn't write that much, we mostly just email... But there's been a few, and I'll cherish them forever... In the past 7 years, this has been the first time he's ever actually written me a letter. :heart:

I have far too many letters to be able to do that.
7 years, and its the first letter? Id much rather a letter then an email. Its more personal IMO :)
But in saying that, no emails allowed where my man is. To be honest, Ive never even heard of inmates in New Zealand been able to access a computer, or send emails etc. But it would be a lot quicker that way. But Id still much rather a letter any day, over an email :)

J.G

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattsNcurves (Post 6268920)
I write the date on each envelope of when he wrote it. I then place them page by page in a plastic sheet protector and place it, in order for that month. I write the month on the outside and then put it in a huge box in my closet.

hehe, your more organised them I am hehe.

J.G

Latin474 07-30-2011 09:22 AM

I get a big black binder & purchase plastic sleeves & i insert each page as they are sent to. Eventually it looks like a book. I also print off his favorite artist & lyrics combine them and place them in my binder as well. I guess like a scrapbook :) I love looking thru them so much history & a long journey in these 10 yrs .. I love him

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latin474 (Post 6268926)
I get a big black binder & purchase plastic sleeves & i insert each page as they are sent to. Eventually it looks like a book. I also print off his favorite artist & lyrics combine them and place them in my binder as well. I guess like a scrapbook :) I love looking thru them so much history & a long journey in these 10 yrs .. I love him

That sounds like a really good idea :D How many "books" do you have so far? Or does the binder have a few 100 leaves in it?
Sometimes the letters I get are 3 pages long, sometimes 10 pages long lol. And I get a letter just about every day ( apart from weekends ) Then Monday or Tuesday, Ill normally get 2 letters. I think the plastic binders here ( my memory ) have about 30 leaves in them. So Id have about 10 books already if I did that lol. Unless I added more leaves to it of course.
But... You have given me an idea my man will often make me home made cards. I put them on my book case, but its getting a little full... So maybe I can do what you do, but with the cards he sends me :D

J.G

Latin474 07-30-2011 09:39 AM

I also keep his cards in them too, my binders do have a few 100 pages i have 5 binders in total and keep them on my bookshelf. I love its so organized :) and the protector sleeves are cheaper by the box ...

Samantha_Lin306 07-30-2011 09:41 AM

:) I bought this cute little hand carved wooden box to keep his letters in. On the top, it has 3 elephants carved in the wood with their trunks turned upward and it's said that that symbolizes good luck. It's so cute.

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latin474 (Post 6268951)
I also keep his cards in them too, my binders do have a few 100 pages i have 5 binders in total and keep them on my bookshelf. I love its so organized :) and the protector sleeves are cheaper by the box ...

Hmmm, your giving me some ideas hehe.
Im gunna have to go to bed now ( its just about 3am ) and I know Im gunna be thinking about it, and prob have a dream about it too lol.

J.G

Mumma_Bear 07-30-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha_Lin306 (Post 6268954)
:) I bought this cute little hand carved wooden box to keep his letters in. On the top, it has 3 elephants carved in the wood with their trunks turned upward and it's said that that symbolizes good luck. It's so cute.

Awwww, that really does sound very sweet. :heart:

J.G

Samantha_Lin306 07-30-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnos_girl (Post 6268959)
Awwww, that really does sound very sweet. :heart:

J.G

I wanted to make something special out of it. It's my little box for him that I can put his letters in. With my luck, I would lose a binder/folder or something would happen to it. Honestly. lol. And I still live with my family and they don't approve of any of it, so I always hid my letters in an envelope box in my closest. Now I've got this box right on my dresser and it's right there for me to see every morning. :)

HazelEyez305 07-30-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnos_girl (Post 6268923)
I have far too many letters to be able to do that.
7 years, and its the first letter? Id much rather a letter then an email. Its more personal IMO :)
But in saying that, no emails allowed where my man is. To be honest, Ive never even heard of inmates in New Zealand been able to access a computer, or send emails etc. But it would be a lot quicker that way. But Id still much rather a letter any day, over an email :)

J.G

We've known each other for 7 years.... He's only been locked away for 2 months. We have the phone, email, and visits... so I'm not too concerned with the letters... We've always kept in contact with email... in fact, that was our first form of communication 7 years ago, so i look forward to his emails more than the actual letters. :o

La Divina 07-30-2011 09:54 AM

I keep all of mines on a seperate drawer near my headrest so is always near me I also put them in order which I received them now I don't receive letters because we talk daily atleast 9times per day so is senseless to write when we talk so much and which I love by the way :)

aundriamichelle 07-30-2011 10:21 AM

I always hold on to the most recent letter. I put it in my purse until I get a new one (which is usually the next day) and then I file them in my archive.

HisSugarPie 07-30-2011 10:27 AM

I used to keep them in a stack date order wrapped in pretty ribbon so they wouldn't get lost. That stack is getting a little too unweildly now, lol, so I am in the process of scrapbooking them.

I have a black 12x12 ring binder scrapbook and on the front is a quote from his first letter..."when this letter reaches you...". I attach the whole envelope to the page with the letter inside and then embellish the page with cutouts, and each page has a stamped "Just a little note". I hope to have it finished by the time he comes home in 6 months to give back to him.

PS Great thread, BTW!

aro 07-30-2011 10:33 AM

I do it alot like that, too. I number them and put them in decorative photo boxes (the same size as shoe boxes). I have five of them stuffed full, I am about to have to buy another one!

Mitch67 07-30-2011 10:54 AM

I put mine in to pretty box files and then when the box file is full I put that in to a bigger pretty storage box. We have been writing for six years and he writes a couple of letters each week so I have a few hundred to find a space for. I also have a sepearate larger storage box with his photos paintings and cards.

I love having an afternoon or evening where I just take everything off of the shelf and read through them (for the thousandth time)!

I.kennedywife 07-30-2011 11:48 AM

Open it,read it,put the date the letter was written on the front of the envelope....put it in my special box by date then respond to it,but if its a card with any type of drawing on it:heart: i get it laminated then put it up:)

lovinMr.SPENCER 07-30-2011 12:11 PM

Tha boo doesn't really write what what i have got frm him goes in my purse for a while so its always on me then in my drawer

blue butterfly 07-30-2011 01:13 PM

I keep his letters to me in a plastic storage box, just big enough for the letters to fit neatly into.
Then I keep that beside my bed.