View Full Version : Parole info needed & Middleton Unit-Texas Prison

cmeshop
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
:confused: I am very new to this. My father has recently been transfered to Middleton Unit in Abilene. (so I think) I do not even have his TDCJ # yet. When I emailed the parole board they said hew was eligible for Parole in Feb 2005 but this was a 6 month process so there would not be a decision until June 2005 (last time I calculated that was not 6 mths - Feb to June) Does this mean they are so back logged they will not look at it till June or it take from Feb to June to make a decision. When do I start sending letters and where do they go to? Do they keep the letters in his file?

About the Middleton unit - how long before I know when I can visit? and visitation rules? can he call me? He seemed to think he got 1 phone call a month - that was what people were telling him before he transfered.

He is in for DWI - he seems to think that DWI offenders do not get paroled 1st time reviewed. He is in poor health to start with and has difficulty with standing for long periods of time due to a blocked artery in his leg.

His treatment in county jail was horrible. They would not even give him his medicine. Those of you who know of middleton - Is treatment better?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

CMEHSOP:confused:

vim1946
01-10-2005, 11:49 PM
As for phone calls -- he will be allowed one phone call every 90 days -- it will be of 5 minutes duration and it will be on a speaker phone and a corrections officer will stand there with him. This is if he is case free and if they decide to call him out for it! He has to submit an I60 to request to make the phone call. Some people are lucky and get called out when they request it -- others never get called out.

I would suggest that you call Middleton and ask to speak to the medical office -- make sure they know of his problem with his leg because that is something that can cause him to throw clots which can cause other problems. When she is on tomorrow -- talk to Jeanne -- her husband is in Middleton -- he works as a server in the kitchen I believe -- he's from Florida and his name is Herb -- really nice guy. I understand it's a decent place but my husband hasn't been there in years -- he's at Eastham.

Welcome to PTO -- you will find a lot of love and support on here along with acceptance and understanding -- we are all in the same boat!

jftazzy102
01-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Welcome to PTO, glad that you are here.
Middleton is a pretty good unit. My husband has no problems what so ever there. If your dad is just getting there give TDCJ a couple of days to get his number. Call Friday and ask for visitation and they can let you know exactly when you will be able to see your dad. He will be in intake process for about two to three weeks. He will go through a medical exam, dental exam and an assortment of test to see where his IQ level is. He will also be told what he has to complete for parole. Good luck
pm me if you have any more questions. Jeanne

vim1946
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Another thing -- since he has medical problems -- make sure he signs a medical release so that they can give you information in case anything happens to him -- otherwise they won't tell you anything.

jessnkat
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
It will probably take until June because he just arrived and his PED is around the corner - they will need a little time to build a file for him. They usually pull a file 4-6 months prior to PED and in his case they don't have that long so they need a little additional time.

As for sending letters, go ahead and start now - well, as soon as you get his TDC# since you need to have that on the letter. The letters will go in his file. Letters can be sent to:

Board of Pardons and Paroles
8610 Shoal Creek Blvd.
Austin, TX 78758

Good luck and Welcome to PTO!

cmeshop
01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all of the info. They are telling us we can visit this weekend already. I will start sending his letters. Does the parole board just review the file or do they talk to him? or family? I was able to get his TDCJ number today so I will begin writing. They also told us we could send the newspaper and magazine subscriptions....I was suprised at that. Any suggestions of info to include in letters? Does the volume of letters make a difference?

Trulykath
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I would imagine his file pull is already started. Call the Parole OMBUDSMAN office to find out...and if it hasn't, they can get it started. 512-406-5795.

TDCJ is historically harder on DWI offenses, as it takes multiple offenses to escalate to felony level, requiring incarceration. You don't mention how long the sentence was, but statistically, offenders on the whole serve on average 51% of their total sentence.

Holler if I can help in any way....I have tons of posts on here throughout the the course of the last 2+ years on DWI info...

WELCOME TO PTO!!
kath