View Full Version : New Here

OndrasMom
02-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Hello everyone! My name is DruAnn. My son's name is Ondra, and he went into the system a month after his 18th birthday. He's a little about what happened:
On Dec. 8, 1998 Ondra was arrested in front of his High School in Ontario, Ca. It was a night of one of his Varsity Basketball team. He has his Basketball uniform on. He was arrested with 3 other boys. The car they were in was stolen. Ondra told the police that a guy named Mike let him use the car to get something to eat before the game. The police did not attempt to look for this person named Mike. Ondra and the boys were arrested. The other 3 boys were released with no charges bought against them. Ondra was charged with carjacking with a weapon. The police took a photo lineup to the victims home. She had a hard time picking my son out of a photo lineup. She was in the courtroom for all of his hearings. The physical lineup was not until the end of Feb. 1999. After seeing my son face to face at least 5 times she was able to pick him out of the physical lineup. I had no idea that she was in the courtroom until the later part of Jan. 1999. Ondra's PD told me she was in the courtroom. He said that he was going to file a motion to have her out of the courtroom for Ondra's hearings. But he did not file anything. After the physical lineup he told us that he was going to have the lineup thrown out....again he did not do nothing. His PD told Ondra to take a deal. He told Ondra this several times. Telling Ondra that he did not have a chance. That the jury will believe the victim. It was Ondra word against hers. Also the victim said that the guy who carjacked her was 6ft, 180 lb and black. My son was at the time 6ft 4in, 135 lb (he had a physical for basketball 2 weeks before he was arrested) and black. The deal was for 13yrs. serving 85%. From day one he was treated unfairly. We all know that's a felony to communicate with an inmate in the courtroom. Well all inmate of non-color were waving, giving hand signals, smiling and mouthing messages to their family and friends. Well, Ondra thought it was all right so he smiled and waved to me. Well as soon as he did it, he was yanked out of his seat and placed in a holding cell to wait for the afternoon hearings. On the way to the holding cell he was cursed at, called out of his name and pushed against the hall walls. And told if he did that again, I would be in the same place where he was. The bailiff came back into the courtroom and told me the same thing. But he did not say anything to other inmates or their family & friends. Also others(non-color) accused of the crime were given were given weekends and probation. They were able to get on with their lives. The place where the crime took place is well known for it's prejudice. I'm not trying to make this a race issue. I'm just stating what happened. I look forward to knowing all of you.
HUGS

Ken
02-12-2003, 05:38 PM
OndrasMom,

Welcome to PTO and thank you for sharing your story!

You will find that we are non-judgmental so please tell your story as it is... I don't think that you making a race issue, you are just stating the facts.

I hope you will find the support that you need here - in fact I am sure that you will!

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

cepora
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Welcome to PTO!!

emme
02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
welcome to our family...sorry about what you've been dealing with. i'm sure you will find pto a great comfort.

wishing you and your son all the best,
emme

OndrasMom
02-12-2003, 06:17 PM
I want to thank all of you for the warm welcome. As you all know it's hard having a child in prison. This is my frist time dealing with anything like this. I'm glad I'm here. By the way, how did you get the graphics under your names? i would like to have that done.
hugs

Valerie
02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Welcome to PTO DruAnn!

flygirlaa2
02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
DruAnn, welcome to PTO. I am so sorry to hear about the treatment of your son. It makes me so very mad. Unfortunately, too many times people look and see his color and not him. I will keep y'all in my prayers. Good luck and god bless.

lulu
02-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Welcome to PTO :)

softheart
02-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Another warm welcome to the PTO family.

softie

Marie
02-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Welcome -

I'm glad you found us

IRIST
02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
WELCOME TO PTO DRUANN
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SON AND THE TREATMENT HE GOT, BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER THE COLOR, MY SON GOT A LONGER SENTENCE THAN HE SHOULD HAVE COMPARED TO OTHER PEOPLE I KNEW GOT PROBATION FOR DWI, ONE GUY LIVES ACROSS THE STREET FROM US, TOTALED OUT HIS CAR AFTER HITTING A U-HAUL TRUCK GOING ABOUT 100 MILES AN HR. HE AND HIS PASSENGER WERE SO DRUNK THEY COULD BARLEY WALK, NO ONE IN THE U-HAUL WAS HURT, THIS GUY HAD TO HAVE STITCHES IN HIS KNEE AND THE POLICE WAITED AT THE HOSPITAL AND WHEN HE GOT RELEASED FROM THE ER, THEY TOLD HIM HE COULD TURN HIS SELF IN LATER, HE SPENT A TOTAL OF 8 DAYS IN JAIL AFTER HE TURNED HIS SELF IN AND AFTER HE WENT TO COURT HE GOT PROBATION 2 YEARS, SO YOU TELL ME WHERE THE JUSTICE FOR ALL HAS GONE TO. BUT I WISH THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR SON, JUST SUPPORT HIM AND BE SURE AND KEEP UP WITH WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HIM WHILE HE IS LOCKED UP. MAY GOD BLESS YOU BOTH, PTO IS A GREAT PLACE TO KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE IN PRISON, THEY HAVE HELP ME A LOT.

Lysbeth
02-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Welcome to PTO, DruAnn! Glad you found us, look forward to seeing you around the board. :)

Lys

deb
02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Welcome to PTO!

Deb

Pammie55us
02-12-2003, 08:30 PM
DruAnn I talked some with you yesterday and I know it's very hard on you. I want you to know your not alone and you don't have to be.....God be with you...Pam Tn.....Hugs

TxRenee
02-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Welcome to PTO ...I look forward to your posts..:)

Charley'smom
02-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi DruAnn :) Welcome to the PTO family! I'm so sorry to hear about your son, it's just so unfair!

LucidDream
02-13-2003, 01:35 AM
another warm welcome :)

Cindy

Phil in Paris
02-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Hi DruAnn

Welcome to the PTO family !! :) Glad you found us, you'll find a lot of support and caring people here. I'm sorry to hear about your son, but please know we're here for you and him.

All my best wishes to both of you
Take care
Phil

SHERRON
02-13-2003, 06:57 AM
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO WELCOME YOU TO PTO!!!!!!

Budwoman
02-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Dearest DruAnn

Welcome to Our PTO family... We are so very glad you found us..... I too have a son in prison. Has been for 13 years. This is a very hard situation to deal with especially for parents. There is every emotion in the world that you have to handle....

So glad you are with us.... There will be times that you can help us also... We will be talking soon..

My Prayers
Donna

chuysruca
02-14-2003, 04:18 PM
The scenario of wrong place at the wrong time and being a person of color played out again. How people can treat accusations so lightly ticks me off. Please know that you have tons of support and understanding here. Take care.

cherrie
02-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the PTO. I am glad that you are here. I hope that you find the comfort and strength that you may need to get you through. I am so sorry to hear about your son and what happened to him is horrible. I am sending to the both of you lots and lots of texas cyber hugs to the both of you okay.

{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}
cherrie from tx

cheryl
02-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Welcome. Peace. cl

writerobemail
02-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Welcome to PTO. I am also new here but everyone I met has been very kind and understanding
Shirley

JER
02-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Another welcome from JER in Dallas, TX I too have a son in prison its sad very sad how the system works, hugs, JER

Pammie55us
02-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Jer, I'm in Tenn. and I agree the whole system is sad and in an awful way....Thanks for the welcome...

Pammie55us
02-21-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm glad to hear from another new member and I have had a great experience here with all the great people......Hope if ya ever need anything you'll let me know....