View Full Version : How do you file your tax return if you are married to an inmate?

01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I was wondering how to file my taxes this year. My husband and I got married last year. He won't be released until 2007. Until then, how do I file my taxes? Do I file as married? Head of Household? Any suggestions?

01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Head of Household since you haven't been living together in the last 6-12 months.

01-09-2005, 09:58 PM
If he worked last year and will be getting a w4 from his employers you can file, other then that no luck. I tried that. You can file but no money will be returned. His is the property of the state until he gets released.

01-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I file head of household and married filling joint. It has worked for me so far. It was a problem trying to cash the check though. lol I went to our bank and pleaded and they finally put him on my account so they only need one signature. But we also live in a little town where every one knows everyone.