View Full Version : Anxiety/Panic attacks?

redphoenixx
01-01-2005, 05:14 AM
Was wondering if anyone out there suffers from panic/anxiety attacks? This is just something I've started experiencing the past year, and they are getting more and more frequent. How do you deal with them? Are you taking medications for them? Does it work?

Just wanting someone to talk to on this. (Yes, I'm getting professional help too :o ) PM me if you don't want to discuss it on here.

Caryn :(

rottn
01-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I have them at times. I take Xanax for them when they get really bad.

MrsPhil
01-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I no longer have them but I did for 2 years back from 1999 to 2001. I finally went on antidepressants after I had a suicide attepmt. Please do not ignore these. They will not go away by without help, especially if they are caused from a chemical inbalance as mine were. I will never forget my first one. I came on so fast and I had was scared to death because I didn't know what was happening to me. I was driving home from Wal Mart. I was about 20 minutes from home and all of a sudden I started shaking and crying and got very short of breath. I was so bad I had to pull over. After that first one they kept coming and got more frequent. When I went to my family doctor she thought it was stress because I was going through a bad time. And some of it was. She put me on Xanax. It helped some but after a while. If I felt one coming on I would takeone. But then they got so bad that I felt like nothing would help and I did a stupid thing and tood 30 of them at once. Well, as soon as I took them I knew I had done a dumb thing. But to try and shorten this, when I went to the hospital, they set me up in therapy for the strss and medication for the inbalance. Once I got rid of the main thing causing my stress, (my ex) I was able to deal with things and I am now medicine free and haven't had an attack for 3 years. But my point is to let you know to take care of it now before is is out of control like mine was.And don't let anyone tell you it is just nerves. Ask about the chemical inbalance.

California Sunshine
01-02-2005, 06:10 PM
I also have them at times.The last one I had sent me to the hospital because I really thought I was having a heart attack (snd so did the advice nurse on teh phone).I was given a perscrip for Xanax for them.Thankfully I haven't had one like that in quite a while but I do take xanax on ocassion when I feel really stressed th the point i can't calm down and my heart is acting up.It helps almost immediatly

1dayatatime
01-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Xanax and Klonopin are used most frequently for panic attacks. However they are highly addictive. I have taken both in the past, they work fast. I used to have panic attacks when I was in nursing school (well thats when they started). I would have to get up in the middle of lecture and leave, thats when I started taking meds. I have probably taken less than 20 pills in the past 10 yrs for them. So needless to say I dont have many attacks. Counseling and maybe an antidpressant that helps with anxiety will be an answer for you. Paxil CR is great for depression/anxiety.

Good luck.
One

Livinoac
01-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I have had them all my life. I have yet to take any medication for them, I just get through them somehow. I still don't know what brings them on. I just take deep breaths and get out of where ever I am.

Wingy
01-03-2005, 02:37 AM
I suffedred my first panic attack not too long ago, but didnt realize it...i had my second one last week...this time i knew what it was...scary scary scary!!! I have been in counseling for depression, but due to work related stress the depression has gotten worse and brought on the anxiety attacks// I havent been to work since wednesday, but i have to go back today...just the thought of it makes my heart race...yes, i am on medicatin too, but i imagien after last week, they will be changing it, or adjusting the meds.