View Full Version : Women issues: Monthly cycle

California Sunshine
12-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok I am about ready to go NUTS! I haven't had a period in 5 months which I wouldn't mind BUT I have everything but the actual cycle.I have horrible PMS,bloating,bad menstraual cramps and so on! It seems my symptoms are worse since I stopped the actual bleeding part! I am on the pill so A) Know I'm not pregnant as Matt has only been home 3 weeks and B) Have always been really normal since I first started BC pills a decade ago or more.
My Doc's first thought was I was going through premenapause early but after many blood tests they have ruled out that amongst other things.She said she spoke with the OBGYN and while 5 months is a long time to skip it does happen.She wants me to start a new birth control pill next month with more estrogen in it to see if that helps and she said if it continues there are pills they can give me to make me bleed.Like I said I sure wouldn't mind never having one again but the pms and cramps are horrible and it feels like I have no relief from them know what I mean?

Anyone go through anything like this? If so what was the cause and what helped?

bethbupp
12-24-2004, 05:42 PM
I go for months without a period, but then, I'm 44, and my mom was a whole lot younger than this when she hit menopause. The doctor claims that, according to my blood tests, I'm NOT in perimenopause. He has, three times, given me the pills to make my period come. They are progesterone, and gave me the worst PMS that I've ever had in my life. I finally quit admitting to him that the periods weren't coming. I just think that my normal blood levels must be so high, that when they dropped, they were still in the "normal range". If you're getting the PMS and cramps, though, I don't know what to tell you. Did they do a sonogram to check for cysts on your ovaries? [You know, I'm sitting here thinking, and I can't remember when I DID have a period last!]

freckledgrl
12-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I went through this a few months back. I had missed 3 cycles and my Doc told me that if I missed 4 or 5 that he would induce also. He's not the greatest doc, he never checked to see what could be doing it. I started that next month so I don't have any other info to help. Sorry, and best of luck!

1dayatatime
12-24-2004, 05:56 PM
If your weight changes rapidly this can affect your cycle. Gained weight recently. I worked in ob/gyn. Some of the things the doctor I worked for would do:
1. thyroid profile
2. hormone levels
3. take you off the pill possibly and see what happens
4. vaginal ultrasound
5. he would also consider your weight as a factor.

My sister never has periods---however the reason is her weight she is overweight when she looses 15-20 pounds the periods come back --she gains they stop.

ONE

Honeymooner
12-24-2004, 06:08 PM
My doctor told me those blood tests are useless because your levels can change on a daily basis. My symptoms lessened after I stopped the Pill. I figured that my estrogen was already a little low, so imagine how far it dropped during the week off the Pill! My PMS/peri-menopause symptoms were horrific. But, since stopping the Pill, my estrogen isn't riding that roller coaster, and I feel alot better.

hobbits wife
12-24-2004, 06:13 PM
I had this happen to me months ago and I am only 37.
I went to the doc and she decided to send me to have a vaginal ultrasound done and low and behold...I found out I had polyps growing inside my uterus.
It scared the s__t out of me but I found out that most cases like this are harmless-non cancerous but painful sometimes with the cramping and such.
Talk to your doc about getting an ultrasound if you haven't already.
I had to have a day surgery procedure to have them removed but it was no big deal...
definately not as big as I thought it would be (I'm a worry-wort)--lol.
The doctor told me that stress can be a factor ----hmmmmm I don't think any of us have that to worry about!!!!Ya right huh?
Good luck and keep us posted

deb
12-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Natural progesterone creme that you can buy at any Health Food Store helps to regulate periods and aleviates pms symptoms.... You just rub it into your abdomen twice a day....

Deb

Retired-10
12-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I used to go months at a time without my period and then a year ago this past July I started my period and it didn't stop for 4 months. Yes, that's right...4 months x 30 days = 120+ days of having your period. It was hell.

It turns out I have polycystic ovary syndrome and my estrogen/testosterone levels are out of whack. It took a lot of switching BC pills to get me on the right one to make me have a normal cycle.

California Sunshine
12-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Deb,I am going to buy some of that thanks!

Well Merry Christmas to me guess what I got today? Yep you guessed it LOL Still feel like cr*p with cramos and crazy emotions but I'm glad it's back I guess.

Do you think I should still switch to the new pill next month to see how that works for me? I'm just chicken because I have been lucky with this one and had no side effects until I started missing them so I guess I'm afraid the new one will be worse with side effects? I suppose I should give it a try though?????

gabbygirl372001
12-25-2004, 03:24 PM
I am a nurse, and I work in womens reproductive health. All of the advice here is good. The number one thing is to ask your Dr for the additional tests. yes, stress and being on birth control pills can definately cause a change in periods, but so can some of the other problems listed. I have found that being a nurse and also a woman, its always best to ask for as many tests as necessary. You know your body, and no one can know as well as you do. Keep asking until you get to the bottom of it! I have PMS really bad myself...and go kinda nuts every month, but eventually everything goes back to normal...until next month! Merry Christmas!

Aimee1
12-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Poor Cali! Girlie, I feel ya! Not for 5 months, but mine are like 5 or 6 weeks apart usually, and for about 2 weeks before I start, I have the bloating and the aches and the ickiness. It bites big time. then the week i am actually on, of course I have all that still, plus the cramps. so that means for 3 weeks I have all the ickiness goin' on, which is so not fair! its been like that for a while for me, but it never used to be. im sorry you're having such a :blah: time!

Retired-10
12-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Cali - I guess my only fear would be that your pill isn't working right now...and I don't know your plans with Matt but I don't want you to end up pregnant if you're not expecting to! If I were in your shoes, I'd change pills until something starts working right!

What about the patch? My doctor says it's becoming increasingly popular and she hasn't heard many problems/side effects with her patients.

California Sunshine
01-02-2005, 05:15 PM
No kids for me so yes I will try this new pill as I'm afraid mine isnt working right.I only spotted one day and then nothing but I'm feeling like a PMS'ng you know what from you know where LOL

MiaBellaAngela
01-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Cali, I wish I had an answer. I have had horrible PMS for the last 30 years and I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has helped. :blah: Since you are not getting your period that seems to be the factor in your case. Maybe go off the pill all together and use another type of birth control. :confused:

Hope you feel better. I can empathize!

Ciao.

rywill
01-02-2005, 05:34 PM
California Sunshine, I once went without a period for just over four months. I wasn't preganant, and have always been very regular. My OB/GYN said it was fine and having a period every month wasn't necessary.

However, I was under a lot of stress and ended up having a nasty cold. It came after that following month and has been regular ever since. Maybe all of the pre-coming home and then getting home is working on your body. Try walking or getting some exercise that releaves stress for you, which may help with the other PMS symptoms.

Make sure your doctor answers any of your concersn or questions. And like gabbygirl said you know your body best.

I hope all works out.

RBLSinLuv
01-02-2005, 10:23 PM
I am 25 and have the same symptoms, I asked my Doc, all she did was give me a calender to mark my next spotting, wth??? Does this affect fertility coz I wanna have a dozen kids!!