View Full Version : Curious Father, Is Grafton Correctional Inst (GCI) doable?

MARKO46
12-17-2004, 08:21 PM
hello! I have a son who has been charged with aggravated vehicular homicide. He has a severe alcohol and drug problem. He did receive injuries from the wreck,(broken pelvis,2 plates w/ 10 screws, shattered left leg below the knee w/ 3 plates and 14 screws, plate and srews in right leg, plate and screws in right arm, briken clavical and ribs, closed head injury, and damage tto internal organs. He should'nt even be alive, but he is. the pain meds. have not made it any easier. basically he's more strung-out then he was. I'm in recovery,(ex-junkie and drunk, for today). His attorney's are trying to cut a plea bargin for him to go to a facility in Grafton,Oh. I guess it's recovery oriented. He has no priors. I don't want to come off as a dad who isn't wanting his son to pay his dept for his actions, quite the contrary, I'd be pissed if he did'nt. But 8-10 years in fed. prison won't do him any good. he'll be worse or dead. His mom commited suicide from this disease. If I'm sending this out in Ohio, and I think I am, I'm trying to find out if Grafton is doable. He did kill a 19 year old girl. I've carried a ton of guilt and hurt for her and aer family and will continue to do so . I'd just like to see him get some help. Please let me know if you anything that may help. thanks for reading this:) Mark

MiamiChica22
12-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Why do you think your son would go to a "fed. prison"? He has to want to change in order to deal with his addiction, as you must well know. Do you think he has reached that point in his life? Until he is ready to face his inner turmoil, the addiction and the destruction that it causes [to himself and others] will only escalate. I agree that tossing someone in prison is not the solution to addiction, but AA/NA programs are available in prison and he could choose to use this time wisely to make some very serious decisions about his life and future.

MsChiku
12-17-2004, 11:23 PM
:wave: (((Mark046))) Welcome to PTO!!

If you are referring to Grafton Corrections (GCI), it's a State Prison not Federal.

Grafton Correctional Institution (GCI)

2500 South Avon Beldon Road
Grafton, Ohio 44044
Phone: 440-748-1161 Fax: 440-748-2521

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75956

It appears that Inst. offers some good program for your son:

Unique Programs

ĚThe Relaxation Through Music Group is for those inmates who exhibit difficulties handling anxiety or poor coping skills. This group is lead by a music therapist. The goals are to improve healthy coping techniques, decrease anxiety, and decrease manic type behaviors. This is accomplished by involving the inmates in music therapy tasks and relaxation techniques that focus on learning precipitators of stress and identifying healthy coping strategies.

ĚThe Therapeutic Community (TC) are long-term (6-12 months) residential Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) treatment programs. The Therapeutic Community approach views of AOD abuse as a reflection of chronic deficits in social, vocational, familial, economic, and personality development. The aim of the Therapeutic Community is to promote prosocial behavior, attitudes, and values as a method to attain abstinence from alcohol and other drugs and eliminate antisocial behaviors.

To answer your question, yes, any prison time is doable. The question is, is your son able and willing to do his part to succeed at the above programs offered to combat his addiction? The loss of the life is why he's been Institutionalized. It's a blessing that the Inst. has the necessary Counseling/Programs to assist your son in being successful at his recovery.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow with your child being incarcerated. But there are consequences to every action. I will keep you & your son in my prayers. Please keep your head up. God Bless You. Sabrena.

hello! I have a son who has been charged with aggravated vehicular homicide. He has a severe alcohol and drug problem. He did receive injuries from the wreck,(broken pelvis,2 plates w/ 10 screws, shattered left leg below the knee w/ 3 plates and 14 screws, plate and srews in right leg, plate and screws in right arm, briken clavical and ribs, closed head injury, and damage tto internal organs. He should'nt even be alive, but he is. the pain meds. have not made it any easier. basically he's more strung-out then he was. I'm in recovery,(ex-junkie and drunk, for today). His attorney's are trying to cut a plea bargin for him to go to a facility in Grafton,Oh. I guess it's recovery oriented. He has no priors. I don't want to come off as a dad who isn't wanting his son to pay his dept for his actions, quite the contrary, I'd be pissed if he did'nt. But 8-10 years in fed. prison won't do him any good. he'll be worse or dead. His mom commited suicide from this disease. If I'm sending this out in Ohio, and I think I am, I'm trying to find out if Grafton is doable. He did kill a 19 year old girl. I've carried a ton of guilt and hurt for her and aer family and will continue to do so . I'd just like to see him get some help. Please let me know if you anything that may help. thanks for reading this:) Mark

melanie
12-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Mark~
I would like to welcome you to PTO. :wave: I am sorry that you have to go through all of this. I am sure that it is hard for you. I think that your son needs to get help. I am not sure how grafton correctional is. My husband is not there but I think there are a few that have loved one there. I hope that they can help you. Good luck with all of this with your son.
Melanie

Retired-10
12-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Marko46 - What county is his case in? 8-10 years is pretty standard from most vehicular homicides in this area that I've seen. He won't go to federal prison. This isn't a federal crime.

ShannonL
12-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Mark!

Welcome to PTO and the Ohio forum. I don't have any info for you about Grafton, but I wanted to say hi. We know what you're going through and how hard it is. Somehow, that makes it just a little bit easier.

By the way, send a private message to Ohiogirl. Her friends are at Grafton.

MARKO46
12-22-2004, 09:32 PM
To All Of You That Responded. Thank You, I Understand Recovery, Been In The Rooms Since '91. He Does Have To Be Ready To Help Himself, I've Gave Him To God, I Can't Save Him. Yes, My Son Does Have To Pay For His Actions. Please In No Way Did I Mean To Come Off Like He Does Not Deserve Punishment, I'm One Of The Most Aggresive Advacates To That Issue, And He's Afraid I'll Push For More Punishment If I Don't Think It's Enough. The County We're In Is Guernsey, This Is A Very Personal Case. The Judge Knows My Family And Kayla's Family Very Well And Offered To Step Down Because Of That. Dylan's Atty's. Wanted To Stay With Him Because At Least They Know What Type Of Judge They're Dealing With. This Was And Is Big News Around Here. All Over The Front Pages And News. I Did Go To Kayla's Funeral And Have Breifly Spoken With Her Mother In The Court House And Her Uncle, The Judges Balif For 8-10 Years. Both Very Nice And Compationate Towards My Family And Myself. I Basically Had A Melt Down Over The End Of The Summer, Seemed To Take It Harder Then Dylan-he Took And Delt With The Physical Pain And Injuies And Blocked The Rest Out. I Owned All The Guilt And Shame. My Heart Aches For Her Family, Especialy Now At Christmas. I've Reversed This All In My Head And Can't Imagine What They're Going Through. I Keep Going To Meetings And Put Myself In Counsuling Through Work E.a.p. But He Has To Make It Right With The Girls Family, God, And With Himself. A Little More Detail Is Under Betrayed_4 Lifes Welcome Ohio Members Link, Page 6 With Response To Country Girl. I'll Stay In Touch With All Of You. Thanks For The Responses. God Bless And Do Have A Merry Christmas And Be Grateful For What Ever Is Good In Your Life. It's A Day At A Time.

ohiogirl
12-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Mark,
We're here for you! And you are right, "One Day At A Time". God can and will heal the brokenhearted. Hang in there!