View Full Version : Visiting Information for Oregon Prisons

one_luv
12-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I have visited in three Oregon prisons (Two Rivers, Eastern Oregon and Snake River). This Following information is both Oregon Department of Corrections rules, and my own personal experiences.

Here is the link to the Oregon Administrative Rules about visiting prisoners.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_200/OAR_291/291_127.htm (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_200/OAR_291/291_127.htm)l

Times: For medium and maximum facilities, times are approx. Wed-Sunday 8-11 a.m. and 1-4:00 p.m. (SRCI is 12:45-:3:45). Check individual prison web site for exact times. No visiting on holidays, Mondays and Tuesdays. You can visit both morning and afternoon sessions. If you want to get a full 3-hour visit, you should arrive half an hour prior to when visiting starts.

Point System: Don't worry about it if the prisoner doesn't get many visitors. If you visit several times a month, ask the guards how it works. I have never seen a visitor denied entry because he didn't have enough points.

Physical Contact/Touching: Unless he/she is restricted to basic visiting, you will sit in a chair across from your visitor, with about 2 feet of space between you. What's allowed: hug and kiss at start and end of visit. Yes, you can give them a "real" long kiss. Holding hands during visit. That's it- no touching anywhere else, hands must stay above the waist when hugging. Children younger than 10 may sit on prisoner's lap.

Dress code: All Oregon prisons have a dress code, you can find the rules on the above link. What you are allowed to wear depends on who is doing the processing. Different guards have their own ideas about what is acceptable and what is not. Here's what you need to know:
Skirts: No more than 2 inches above the back of the knee when you are sitting down. I have long legs, so I always make sure the skirt is below my knees when standing.

Shirts: must have at least one inch sleeves (no spaghetti straps). Must fully cover stomach and breasts. No open back.
Also:
No cleavage

No jackets

No blue jeans

No hats

No tight or see-through clothing

No camouflage clothing

Not a lot of metal (including underwire bras), because you won't get through the metal detector.

I have also heard that dark blue shirts are not allowed, although this doesn't appear in the official rules.

Always bring extra clothing with you so you can change if necessary.

Processing time:
If you get there 30 minutes ahead of when visiting begins, you should get to see your visitor within 10-20 minutes. It depends on the institution, because some have a long walk from intake to the visiting room. If you arrive after visiting begins, on a weekend, you may have to wait 30-60 minutes for processing. During the week, the wait is not bad.

Vending Machines, Change and Food: They do not have a change machine at SRCI, but they do in EOCI and TRCI. You can bring up to $10 in change with you. No pennies allowed. I always bring change with me in case the change machine isn't working. No sharing food or drink with prisoner.
Metal Detector: You have to be able to pass through the metal detector to go into the visiting room. Only exception is if you have a doctor's note (e.g. you have a metal rod in your leg, wheelchair, etc.) That means, leaves the underwire bra and big zippered vest at home. TRCI's detector is more sensitive than others, one ladies decals on her fingernails set if off. She had to remove her polish and decals before she could get through. Please be prepared when you get in line to go through the metal detector- this slows up the visit more than anything else. Take all your jewelry off BEFORE you try to go through. You can put it back on after you pass through the detector.

ID: All visitors over 16 years old must have picture ID. Children may use birth certificate or Oregon Medical card.

Photos: You can bring 5 photos. The guards need to look at them. They follow stricter rules than the mailroom. Kids must be fully clothed in pics.

Bringing Items In: You may not bring any items other than 5 photos, 10 dollars in change, and a few baby items (see rules link for specifics). You may not bring medication in unless it is a "life or death situation", you have a doctor's note, and its approved by prison administration. Examples of "life or death" medication are asthma inhaler or heart pills.

Getting Pictures Taken: About $1.25 each for 4 x 6. In some prisons (TRCI) they have to purchase before hand, but in others (SRCI), prisoner can purchase after the picture is taken.

JJT
12-15-2004, 02:14 PM
My guy is in the WA system. And WA DOC doesn't have a visiting Point system. Could you explain that for me?

JJT

one_luv
12-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Here is how it works:

1 point for each person each visit on weekdays

2 points each person each visit weekends

Maximum 24 points per month

Example: Mom and 2 kids visiting on Saturday and Sunday, both morning and afternoon sessions, equals 24 points

Exceptions may be allowed if visitors are out-of-towners (i.e. they travelled a long way to visit).
I DO NOT know if this point system is always enforced, does anyone else know? I think it MAY be enforced if visiting room is full. I have never been at a visit and overheard that someone was not permitted in because the prisoner doesn't have enough points.

Here are the official rules from DOC web site:

Limitations on Number of Visits/Number of Visitors Allowed at One Time for Inmates Assigned to General Population

(1) Limitations on Number of Visits Per Calendar Month: The number of visits approved in any calendar month for inmates assigned to general population in a Department of Corrections facility shall be limited in accordance with the following point value system:

(a) Each inmate who is permitted visiting (privileged, basic or video) shall be allocated 24 visiting points per calendar month.

(b) On weekdays, one point shall be deducted for each visitor regardless of age per visiting session.

(c) On weekends and holidays, two points shall be deducted for each visitor regardless of age per visiting session, except in those Department of Corrections facilities with weekend visiting only, in which case one point shall be deducted for each visitor per visiting session.

(2) Limitation on Number of Visits on Weekends and Holidays: Inmates assigned to general population in a Department of Corrections facility may be permitted only one visiting session per visitor per day on weekends and holidays. Department of Corrections facilities having weekend visiting only may permit two visiting sessions per day on weekends and holidays at the discretion of the facility superintendent or designee. (3) Limitation on Number of Visitors Per Visit: Inmates assigned to general population in a Department of Corrections facility may be permitted no more than four visitors during any visiting session. Minor children under the age of three shall not be counted as part of the maximum number of visitors. Due to physical plant design, minimum-security facilities may limit the number of visitors to no more than three persons at one time at the discretion of the facility superintendent or designee.

JJT
12-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Thank you.

JJT

wendyjo12
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi- I do not understand the visiting regulations reguarding Sheridan Prison & the detention center. Do the "D.O.P." guidelines apply, reguardless of where the inmate is housed? Any info. would help. Thanks!!

JJT
01-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Sheridan is a federal prison, and the above guidelines are for Oregon state prisons. There are differences. I deal with the state prisons, and have never been to a federal prison, so I cannot answer your question.

I am sure most things are pretty much standard...... I just dont' know.

JJT

wendyjo12
01-08-2005, 01:58 PM
hi- thanks for the reply.. my bad..

CalamityJane
03-20-2005, 07:20 PM
You said no sharing food or drink? I read the site and it doesn't say that, but I was wondering. Does that even mean that if you buy food or drink from the machine that you can't buy one for them too?? So I would drink pop and eat chips and he'd just sit there?

sweetiepieJen
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
My man is at Mill creek I can buy him pop and whatever he wants and he can eat drink laugh cry and have a good time Calamity Jane. I Have a question for you where is your man at Jen

one_luv
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Calamity,
It means that you can not share the same bag of chips, pop, etc. You each have your own. Man that woyuld be cruel to have to sit there and eat in front of them.

CalamityJane
03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
My man is at SRCI. He just got there last week. Now my phone has cut off the collect calls so I'm officially inducted into the inmate fan club. CJ

My man is at Mill creek I can buy him pop and whatever he wants and he can eat drink laugh cry and have a good time Calmity Jane I Have a question for you where is your man at Jen

dinnwanna
10-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Here's what happened to my sweet patootie when his son touched his dad's tummy to tease him about being a bit pudgey.....sweet patootie was strip searched......VERY IMPORTANT NOOOO touching....
Another thing.....if you have a candy or snack, do not put the wrapper in your loved one's empty cup sitting by him, or try to pass it to him, cuz the guards will think you are trying to pass something ya shouldn't be....another reason for strip search. Luckily there was no write up ... but watch out...the guards can and will if they have a mind to....

dinnwanna
10-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Son reminded me of another thing...husband says that if he goes to the bathroom while a visit is in progress..it's a sure thing ... a strip search...He doesn't particularly care for that <ahem> so he makes sure he is "empty" before visit. Also, we had heard if the visitors go to the bathroom and there is about 15 minutes left on the clock for visit....the guards will terminate your visit ??? I have not had first hand with that one, does anyone else know about that ? Husband is at EOCI

honeyg
10-31-2006, 12:12 PM
If you end a visit early, they usually get strip searched. It saves time as they don't have to do so many at the end of the visiting session. Haven't heard the bathroom late in the visit terminating the visit one except at Santiam. There if the man goes to the bathroom, it terminates the visit but I think it is because there is no bathroom near the visiting room.

dinnwanna
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
When son and I were lined up to leave at the conclusion of visit I looked back and every single one of the inmates were looking back toward the desk at the guards. I thought to myself " OMG they aren't allowed to look at their loved ones as they are leaving ? how sucky is that?" Haa haa I mentioned it to my sweet patootie when he called what I thought of that, he laughed and said that wasn't the reason they were all looking at the guard desk..it was because...the first names of the inmates they called are ones going back to their cell/dorms...then there's a pause and the second wave of names comes and those lucky ones get strip searched....so, they are all sitting there almost holding their breath to see who gets to be nekkid that day ! Arrrgh I get it and yet....I don't....I hate that I am learning so much about the prison system...yet, so grateful that I am....

JustBeachy
11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
One Luv....
When you say "real" long kiss...is that open or closed mouth? I assume closed, but thought I would ask...thanks!

honeyg
11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Don't know about One Luv but I get the full on open mouthed French kiss.

JustBeachy
11-07-2006, 08:22 PM
SWEEEET!!!!! Haven't had one of those from him in about 2 years!!!!

JustBeachy
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone! I am leaving tomorrow...a few last minute questions...

On the change...can the change be rolled or does it need to be loose?

Where can I find a clear bag for carrying in the babies diapers and wipes and the change?

I am so excited to see him!!!

2Lovebirds
03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
:yay: :yay: OMIG!!! I'm so excited for you too!!! Don't worry......if you bring a roll of quarters you can just break it open and put it in one of their plastic baggies....that's what I do! Just use a clear ziploc-type baggie for the diapers! The play area is great! I hope he bought his picture ticket ahead of time so you can have your picture taken together! Did you find your no-underwire bra? I want to find one with a plastic underwire. Have a wonderful visit and a safe trip! Just tell the CO's it's your first time and they should be nice to you. I was extra nice to the CO's, always am, and I think it makes for an easier process. Remember to check in 30 minutes before the visiting time. They give you a # and you have to go back to your car. Then come back 10 minutes till the visit time and you're first in line cuz you already have your #. Hint:they take 10 people at a time. That's for TRCI anyways! Have fun! :yay:

JustBeachy
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!! I am just NOT looking forward to that drive!!! Especially the drive home! And to top it all off...the day after I get home from visitation, I leave for California for a 3 week vacation home for Easter! All this with a toddler. I think I'm going to have to commit myself! lol But this weekend will all be worth it to see my sweetie again! It's been too long!

guysgal
04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
anyone know the 'rules' (written/UNwritten) for visiting at EOCI, Pendleton, OR> ?

one_luv
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
anyone know the 'rules' (written/UNwritten) for visiting at EOCI, Pendleton, OR> ?

The OAR (Oregon Adminstrative Rules) for visiting inmates can be found at http://oregov.gov/doc

wantingtoknow
12-24-2007, 08:38 PM
All right all right I know this is another old one....why arent my questions answered already LOL

Ok so I am assuming that now my guy is in Summit...that is how it sounds. Are there any special rules about visits with them that anyone knows of? I looked on their site but didnt see anything and I have made sure I can comply with the other rules for dress and such but not a clue with SCCI. Dont know if anyone knows but figured I would ask....if nothing else I will hopefully be talking to his counselor in the next few days or so.

one_luv
12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Generally the minimum camps are much more easy-going than the prisons. Sorry I can't help you more but as long as you're dressed right, have ID, show-up on-time and are respectful, you should be all good.

Shawn's Girl
12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
What about just calling the camp and asking them about what the rules are, I have done that before and they seem to be helpful with getting you the right info.

HateThis
06-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Haven't had a visit yet. Still at Coffee Creek. My question is regarding my mother who has a defibulator (pace maker) Do the facilities have someone there at the door to hand wand her or do we have to do some type of pre-registration for that?

Dawn.here2help
06-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Welcome Hatethis!!!! So glad to have you here! They will wand her...she needs to let them know when she comes in and signs in and they will then wand her. If she has paperwork that shows that she has this issue that would be really good for her to have on her. Once they note that she will not have to keep this paperwork on her but for the first couple of times I would for sure have it on me. Hope your visits are wonderful!!! Make sure that you two get support from such places as CURE to help get you two get the support that you need!

Have a great time at visiting!!!

Dawn

HateThis
06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I have done a lot of web searching on the DOC. Coffee Creek has a link to Oregon CURE. We went to a support meeting on week 1. Tomorrow we head to Portland for the Orientation meeting. So far I have to say the group is wonderful. I think everyone should take advantage of thier wealth of information

kat39
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know if there is a shuttle or anything that goes to the prison. I live In cali and its cheaper if I take amtrack i would rather take a shuttle from a motel than rent a car.. chching.... with gas prices im not sure even how much a car rental is.

one_luv
06-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Kat- I do not know of any shuttles from motels to the institution. What prison are you visiting?

SisterandFriend
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm planning on visiting my brother for the first time at SRCI and want to bring the kids. I can't find if I need to send something additional with the visition application for approval. Does anyone know what they do to approve kids under age (if anything)? Once approved I assume I just need to provide valid id per DOC's list.

Zelda50
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
There is an affidavit that has to be completed and notarized for a minor child to visit - and you have to take I.D. (like a birth certificate) for the child when you do visit, once it's approved. Just yesterday or so, I posted the phone number for Inmate Services in another thread here on the Oregon forum - where you can call and make sure they send you the required affidavit(s). That's my understanding anyway. Z.