View Full Version : Getting Married in a Georgia Prison...

thixkmomma
12-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Can someone tell me how to go by finding someone who will give me a cermony to get married.The chaplain at Valdosta state prison does not do it.He said I need to go to Brooks County,Berrien County,Cook County and Lanier County to get the marriage licensen sign..I need help on what to do and how to do it because this is my first and only marriage..WE have been together now for 11 years and also have a two year old daughter well 3 years old next month..Plus I'm in a wheelchair so I can't do all that running around.. Thank You for you're time and help..

IrishEyes
12-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey there! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! The process for inmate marriages is basically the same from prison to prison, so here's the rundown. If you need more help, PM me.

*Fiance' needs to get the marriage forms from the chaplain.
* He fills out his portion of the form that states there are no legal restrictions and has it notarized there at the prison. He sends that to you and you do your portion.
* Return it to the chaplain (keep a copy for your records!! VERY important!!)
* The chaplain will send it to the warden who signs and notarizes that they have physical custody of your fiance' and he cannot appear at the probate court to get the license.
*When that form is returned to you, make a copy and take it to the courthouse in the county where HE lives.
* Once you have the marriage license, make copies of it for your records, one for Chaplain Hudson in Atlanta, one to the warden at Valdosta and include a date you wish to be married.
*The Warden and the head chaplain (Hudson in Atl.) will approve or deny, and return the appropriate notice to your fiance.
*Find a local pastor or prison minister to perform the ceremony.
* Get married and live happily ever after.

***NOTE: Do not get this until after the first of the year unless you are 100% sure you can get married before the 31st of Dec. because the marriage license expires at midnight New Years Eve.

Good luck!!

Eternal Hope
01-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Thixkmomma:

I recently made 5 phone calls and this is what I found out. Berrien County, ( city of Nashville, Georgia) WILL issue the license without your fiance being there. You however, will have to speak in person to The Probate Judge, Susan Griner, bring what you have, where the prison signed off on him, and she will advise you if you need to do anything further. You will probably have to return some paperwork from Ms. Griner to the prison, and then back again to her office. Ms Susan Griner, Probate Judge of Berrien County's phone number is 229-686-5213. I tried Lowndes, Cook, and Lanier also. They won't do it. Lowndes County says that if your fiance can get transported to the courthouse per his request they will do it if he is standing there( issue the license) However Berrien County WILL issue one if he isnt there. You just have to follow their rules........Good luck.........

lilivoryangel
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
wow...............all we had to do was get him brought over to the courthouse and we did the license and ceremony all right there. It took about 20 minutes.........sorry you guys have to jump through so many hoops, but it will all be worth it.

Eternal Hope
01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Tammy, the reason I was given regarding non-issuance of the license without him being there, was because most of the time certain counties have found the women back there within the year wanting out. Another county, Lowndes, where her fiance is, said that inmates are allowed to be transported other places, it should be up to him to talk them into taking him! Imagine! Its the GDOC!!!!!!! ;)

Gemini4lif
02-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Thank God we decided against going through all the hoops and just went the proxy route...they were getting on both of our nerves with all there rules!

I hope everything works out and yu are able to get it all done.

Patrice

thixkmomma
02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Ok ya'll thanks I finally got somewhere and talk with the lady THANK YOU Eternal Hope...And she was real helpful too and said she will do it...

Eternal Hope
02-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh wow girl, I am SOOOOOOOOO GLAD to hear this!!!!!!!! That makes my night!!!!!!!
Keep me updated now, OK?

his_wife08
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
im curious how i would go about getting married in a private prison or can i?? and what all i need to do?