View Full Version : collect calls on cell phones

cawillia
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey. I was wondering if I am the only one who can receive calls on my cell? They aren't forwarded or anything- it's just allowed (starting this August) here. Am I the only one?

* I do have to prepay, though *

MrsPhil
12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I can only get them if I forward from my house phone. But I am in NJ.

mrsdragoness
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I believe that if its prepay then it isn't considered a collect call. As far as I know you cannot accept a dialed collect call with a cell phone.

You can accept a call thats been forwarded from a land phone however.

TBS
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
how does that work? who's your cell serive through?

27sbb
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Question...
Are you prepaying for cellular service or a telenet type calls from the prison service?

Ahna
12-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I want to know what cell service and what state also...I am trying to work something out so I can get calls on my cell phone

cawillia
12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
The state is Alabama.
Provider: Global Tel Link
I am prepaying for calls from the jail.

cawillia
12-09-2004, 07:25 PM
it doesn't matter the cell service (from what i have been told)
it just matters if the facility/company allows you to accept them

27sbb
12-09-2004, 07:31 PM
This sounds like the services telenet offer. You pre pay for your prison phone calls and they can then be forwarded to any phone including your cell phone.

This is not accepting a call through your cellular service provider. Here in CA there are NO cellular service providers that allow collect calls to be accepted.

Question???

Does your loved one dial your cell number directly when making the collect call or does he use another #.

mrsdragoness
12-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Here in CA ther are NO cellular service providers that allow collect calls to be accepted.

Its the same in Michigan.. As I said in my earlier post.. a PREPAID call is not a true collect call.

cawillia
12-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I tried to change the title. I guess I have misunderstood. I'm sorry I posted this if it is just going to get every frustrated about what is a true collect call. I will be sure not to post in the phones section again :(

27sbb
12-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I tried to change the title. I guess I have misunderstood. I'm sorry I posted this if it is just going to get every frustrated about what is a true collect call. I will be sure not to post in the phones section again :(
Speaking for self... I'm not getting nor am I frustrated. I'm simply trying to understand what type of calls YOU are able to receive on your cell phone as it could be beneficial to others.

Didn't mean to frustrate you... just trying to UNDERSTAND.

BigDaddyW
12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
i am able to accept calls on my cell through correctional billing but it is prepaid through correctional billing. you can accept calls in nc on any phone as long as it is prepaid.

cawillia
12-10-2004, 12:03 AM

belle16507
12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
okay so let me see if I understand all of this. An inmate can call a cell phone if it is a prepaid cell Phone? If that is the case how would he call a prepaid cell phone if it was long distance? would he still need his calling card to get to the cell phone number? or could he just call collect and the it would be paid for by the minutes already on the prepaid cell phone? Hopefully i made some kind of since here. lol

MrsBenji
12-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Belle,
In some states (and cases) you are able to accept the prepaid CALLS on a cell phone. It is the calls that must be pre-paid, not the phone. It is hard to keep it straight sometimes! :) I think that it can be any sort of cell, though.
:)
Jenn

tammy343
12-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I get calls from my friend on my cellphone..He dials my number directly and it is a long distance call..I am living in Europe..:-)

j2sq
12-17-2004, 10:22 PM
geez, now I am confused. doesn't take much, guys. don't worry. :)

Joe will be getting his phone priv's back once he gets back to population. he calls collect. can I get the calls or not??? and, how do I make it so I can get them to my cell without PREPAYING for the calls??

I am in NY. we have MCI. he is in state prison.

j2sq
12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
collect, my definition, is when person #1 calls person #2. person #2 on the receiving end pays for the call.

like in my situation... Joe's calls are not prepaid so he must call me collect since he does not have the money. I accept and I must pay monthly for the COLLECT charges.

tammy343
12-17-2004, 11:48 PM
i do not pay for his calls on my cellphone..As long as he has money on his"card" he can call me...

richie'sgirl
12-18-2004, 04:38 AM
If you were to use a service like PCO or similar company,it is all prepaid and if you live in the USA,you can have the call's direct to your cellphone if you don't have a home phone.
So,although when you answer a call from your loved one in prison,they have dialled it as a collect call because you are given a virtual number local to the prison,that in turn is set up to forward to your cellphone.(So,you haven't forwarded anything to your cellphone,it's just the way the call comes through from the phone company you use).
When you answer the phone,the recording offers you a collect call and asks you to accept the charges,but in fact it is just a prepaid call,money is taken off your PCO account immediately,so if you have no money on the account,they can't call you.

So,I think that everyone was right on their own understanding of the whole thread.
You can't get a collect call to your cellphone,in as much as,if you went to a payphone and tried to dial collect,it would not be possible,but because GlobalTel,PCO and the others are all prepaid,it can go through as a collect call.

I hope I made sense and did not confuse anyone further.

scaredinlove
12-18-2004, 08:35 AM
I am able to get pre-paid calls on my cell..He calls my direct line number and I get them forwarded to my cell..But it onlys works if he uses pre-paid calls..I have not found a cell phone that allowes collect calls....

MrsBenji
12-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Dude! I talked to correctional billing yesterday and the girl I spoke to told me that we are able to set up the pre-paid accounts with cell phones now. I dunno if I believe that or not, but I do know that having a # that is forwarded to your cell will work, whether it is prepaid or billed, so yeah. I would rather stick with what I know works. I am always a little hesitant.
Happy Calling,
Jenn

acpcpa
12-18-2004, 09:46 AM
I haven't had a direct collect call on my cell phone, but I am told that you can. I have Cingular Wireless. I have forwarded my calls from home and got the collect call, so I am pretty sure that means that I could get direct collect calls. I wonder if there is anything different in costs. I'll find out!!

MrsBenji
12-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Cingular told me that because of billing, I could not get a collect call directly to my cell phone. That I could accept one, but only if other billing arrangements were made. They gotta have somewhere to bill to, ya know? And most cell phone companies won't.
Jenn

BigDaddyW
12-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Ok I have cingular cell phone and i go through correctional billing. they set up prepaid accounts for cell phones now. i dont have any other phone, it goes directly to the cell. but like i said the calls are prepaid, not the cell. i havent had any trouble as of yet.

Jessakitty4946
12-21-2004, 08:53 PM
i could accept collect calls on my cell phone when i forwarded my calls from my house phone to it. therefore the billing went to qwest, not verizon. now all calls are pre-paid, like a phone card you buy at the store. so he can call either my house phone or the cell phone without me forwarding the calls, so long as both numbers are on his account.

JJsGB
12-21-2004, 10:18 PM
I can get and receive collect calls on my cell phone. I go thru US Cellular here in Iowa. I know others can't, so it may just be a fluke. I"m not complaining. If someone needs to call me collect in an emergency they can.

Thankfully the phone acct is prepaid so I don't have a huge phone bill trying to talk to my man.

GodivaBabyGirl
12-23-2004, 08:39 AM

rottn
12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I had a prepaid cell phone-not account- and could not recieve collect calls on it. A year ago when I switched to Sprint they told me I couldn''t get collect calls, so I just forward from home so I don't miss the calls.

RegisSweetness
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
i get them on my cell if i forward my calls from the house to the cell phone. thats the only way.

francis
12-24-2004, 07:30 PM
here in cali so far, none of the providers allow direct collect calls (non-pre-paid), but, now i will haave to see if htat has changed baseed on what some of you are saying, also, last time i checked the prison he was in did not allow them to call cell phones. period...but, now i will have to see if this has changed...

sandyr
12-26-2004, 11:29 PM
I think the institution has something to do with where collect calls can be made. They just told my husband that cell phone collect calls were now available. He tried it and it worked. We do not have a prepaid account. It is a true operator assisted collect call. Don't know what the cost is yet since we just did it. I'm afraid to find out!

msmyboo
12-29-2004, 10:58 PM
You can call Correctional Billing Services @800-844-6591 find out if they service the prison in question then you can set a prepaid account on your cell phone no matter who your cell phone provider is. All it does is allow you to recieve collect calls, you have already paid for through your prepayment to CBS, on your cell phone. What I did was added a second line to my SprintPCS cell phone account with a number that is in the local area of the my sweety's prison and then set up a prepay account with CBS for the cell # so that I save money on collect calls. It seems like alot and it is but for me financially it saves me money.

brownshuga27
12-30-2004, 01:27 AM
SandyR, the samthing happened to me . but the facility didnt tell my bf you could call a cell phone collect.my home phone wont except collect calls. so he tried my cell and it worked. they were operator assisted calls, and i had to press "0" to accept. it worked for about a month, then he couldnt get through anymore, i guess they caught on to it lol. but i wasnt charged for any of those calls on my cell phone bill, it just deducted off of my minutes and if it was the weekend, it was free . when i got my cell phone bill, under "talk time" it said "21minutes" by each of his incoming calls. i didnt have a pre-pay account either.

*MB's 4Lif3*
10-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Yea, I do dat to