View Full Version : Phone Calls- How Much Do They Cost?

angeltob
12-08-2004, 08:04 PM
From a memo regarding additional information on prepaid debit account:

It is impossible to determine exactly what a call will cost; as it depends on the location the call starts and ends at & which phone company line is used. However, the following are the maximum charges per call; which can be used for computing purposes.

In Michigan Calls:

$2.95 (initial charge) then 32 1/2 to 84 cents per minute depending on the time (7pm-7am) and service carrier.

Outside of Michigan (inter-State) calls:

$3.99 (initial charge) then 89 cents per minute

LeaAnn
12-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Interesting indeed because I am charged $7.82 regardless if he calls me in the morning or late at night. Where I used to live I got discounts during the evening hours.

Lions Heart
12-09-2004, 07:27 AM
I have not yet been able to talk to my guy on the phone yet. We have comunicated through letters for the past 3 months. I am new to this priosn thing and I want to know how it shows up on a phone bill. I live with people who would not be OK with seeing anything that indicates MDOC on it.

betrayed_4_life
12-09-2004, 08:45 AM
I have not yet been able to talk to my guy on the phone yet. We have comunicated through letters for the past 3 months. I am new to this priosn thing and I want to know how it shows up on a phone bill. I live with people who would not be OK with seeing anything that indicates MDOC on it.

Autumn it shows up under a seperate portion of your bill under "Correctional Billing Services".

Lions Heart
12-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Is there any way around having it show up on my phone bill as correctional billing services?

Arechiga's Grl
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Butch's Lady: soory to bug but do you happen to know how a phone call appears on a caller Id or does it vary within prisons or states? Thanks

angeltob
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
yes Autum there is...Call correctional billing and PRE-PAY but when you do that, you will have to remember how much you have in there and keep up with it. I would highly recommend it if you are going to have issues...Otherwise, wait unitl his debit is up and running and send him money to put on that, then the calls will be paid for from him.

Arechiga...some caller IDs are different than others some come up out of area and some come up unknown caller I have never seen any specific facility stated on it here in Michigan.

Lions Heart
12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Thansk for the info angeltob. It is much appreciated

dixielicious44
12-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Phone calls here are about $6 a pop for only 15 minutes, and its really only about 11 minutes, because about 4 times a minute long recording interrupts talkin about "you may be recorded" and all that bulls***!!!!!

MrsCurry
12-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I know with the regular calls it cost $4.10 for 15 minutes in the day time and $3.56 at night. With the debit card it cost $7.86. Thats from St. Louis to Saginaw.

deb
12-26-2004, 08:01 PM
MrsCurry--

Are you saying the debit calls cost more $$???? So, does this mean the state is getting even more of a kickback?

Deb

betrayed_4_life
12-26-2004, 08:09 PM
MrsCurry--

Are you saying the debit calls cost more $$???? So, does this mean the state is getting even more of a kickback?

Deb

After the call to me - he checked the balance and the $$ deducted was exactly what I pay for him to call collect.

dmpdbd
12-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Hopefully, when Mrs. Curry is referencing "regular" calls she means non-collect calls between those two points. In that case, of course, debit calls are more because, although not billed as collect calls - that is still what they are - just like the ones we have been doing all the way up until now.

MrsCurry
12-26-2004, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=dmpdbd]Hopefully, when Mrs. Curry is referencing "regular" calls she means non-collect calls between those two points. In that case, of course, debit calls are more because, although not billed as collect calls - that is still what they are - just like the ones we have been doing all the way up until now.

When he calls me through Evercom it's $3.56 but when they got this debit thing he got a $20 card and one call was $7.86 so now we're stuck with Evercom :)

donnysgirl4life
01-01-2005, 08:54 PM
My calls are $4.50 for the first min, then 30 cents for the rest, and its 15 minutes..IT SUCks!! one call is $8.70!, and you always get inturrupted by recordings saying, "You are talking to an inmate at......." and sh** like that

LalaCee
06-02-2005, 06:09 PM
How does the debit card thing work?

1dayatatime
06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
$7.45 for fifteen minutes (MCI)-We are both in Ga---about 225 miles apart.

ONE

LalaCee
06-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Really! Where is your loved one at? Mines is in Michigan at E.C. Brooks.
Is the prepaid card issue by the Prison?

witchlinblue
06-02-2005, 07:43 PM
My husband told me that a guy at Ryan CF called Minnesota the other day with that debit system and it cost him 22 bucks. James says not many guys want to use it cause its sucks their accounts dry.

Witchlinblue

MrsBenji
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
For the ladies who are looking to use the debit cards, please be aware that they MAY cost more than the normal collect calls.

That was my case, so use a little trial and error before switching over completely.

LalaCee,
The *debit cards* are basically just an account that debits the cost of the calls from their account. There isn't an actual card. When then pick up the phone to dial, they are given to option to call pre-paid or collect. If the $ runs out of the prepaid, they will cut the call off.

Hope this helps!
Jenn

LalaCee
06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks that did. I am new to all this.

qtquartz
07-05-2005, 12:26 AM
My husband is in the Chippewa County Jail, and the call display says PRISON. So I have to watch who sees the call display too. I don't know how it is anywhere else tho.
Courtney

Butch's Lady: soory to bug but do you happen to know how a phone call appears on a caller Id or does it vary within prisons or states? Thanks

matuska
07-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Charles pays $4.00 for 15 min. from FCI in IL but when I was in the UK he payed about $16 for 15 min

whisper248
07-05-2005, 07:11 AM
He is 120 Miles from me and we pay $8.52 for 15 minutes, that is including the taxes that they tac on to every call. Not to mention that when you put $50.00 into your account they add another $8.00 to the charge for handling and service. That part sucks it is almost the cost of a call.

zhane
07-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Debit call cost as same as them calling directly home collect there isnt a difference but the fact that they have to fill out a form and have the money deduct from there account, the prison then forwards the form to Evercom and usually within 2-5 days they are able to make prepaid calls; which is actually better if you dont want a high phone bill! The amount of the call also depends alot on the distance they are from you; when my husband was in Coldwater calls were only 3.26 but then when he transfer to UP they are now 7.82 so you know we dont talk awhole now; since I see him every week we write more!

blkennedy2002
07-05-2005, 05:59 PM
For him to call home it's about 19.00 for 15 minutes thru correctional billing, it appears on my phone bill last month my bill was 234.00 it is crazy, for about 6 calls and that is qith tax!1 I told him to quit calling stamps are way cheaper for a single mom!!!

blkennedy2002
07-05-2005, 06:00 PM
sorry forgot to say for him to call MN from MI it's about 19.00 per call

angelrose359
07-05-2005, 06:04 PM
This doesn't have to do with collect calls but i was wondering how much would it be to have a differnt phone line put in my bedroom other then just a home phone

jessiesgirl
11-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I live in Southwest Michigan.... by Benton Harbor, St. Joe, Berrien Springs, Niles, ect... when he was at Handlon in Ionia it was $3.26 for 15 min. Now he is at Jackson and it is $8.74 for 15 minutes...It hurts! Spent over $2,400.00 on phone bill since Feb. and it's only Nov. A LOT OF DOUGH!!!!

mrssunnyb
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
OK - so does it do any good to have him get a pre-paid card? If so, can you just put any amount on the pre-paid account or is there a limit?

MicheleCJr
01-10-2006, 03:22 PM
When I spoke with Correctional Billing Services today they told me that I would be paying the same amount for phone calls now even though they moved my son farther away. She said something like $7 + for 15 minutes. I give up on trying to figure the phone stuff out I can't figure out the MDOC system. LOL. To avoid phone bills from getting out of control I simply put a certain amount on the Correctional Billing Services account so I don't go over budget. No names on phone bills and no disconnected phone. Ok so sometimes I have a blocked line because I ran out of pre-pay money but better that then a phone bill I can't pay.