View Full Version : Florida: The State in Brief

sweetpea
12-08-2004, 08:44 AM
I signed up to get email notifications for articles in Florida - this is one of them, just has some short ones, hopefully I'll get them often. :D

From Wire reports
Posted December 8, 2004

Mom escapes trial in death

PUNTA GORDA -- A woman with a history of mental illness will not stand trial for the stabbing death of her 7-year-old daughter, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Florida Circuit Court Judge Donald Pellechia ruled Ruth Ann Burns, 29, of Port Charlotte, incompetent to stand trial. She faced a second-degree murder charge in the June 2 stabbing death of her daughter, Hannah.

Burns has a history of mental instability, and her family said she suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Her daughter was found dead in a motel room after her mother had taken the girl from her grandparents, who had been caring for her. Burns later told social workers she tried to kill herself after her daughter's death by ingesting rat poison and stabbing herself.

She told authorities she killed the girl because she thought she was being molested and didn't want her to be sent to foster care where she might face further abuse. Social workers found no evidence the girl was being sexually abused.

DNA refutes man's claims

WEST PALM BEACH -- A man's repeated claims that he was wrongly convicted of killing a teenage girl 31 years ago have been refuted by new DNA evidence that links him to the slaying.

Learie Alford, 59, was sentenced to life in prison for the 1973 slaying of Carol Blevins, a 13-year-old Riviera Beach girl who was blindfolded, raped and shot at least five times. He was originally sentenced to death, only to have that commuted by then-Gov. Bob Graham after a witness changed testimony.

Test results released Monday show that Blevins' bodily fluids were found on the victim.

Palm Beach County State Attorney Barry Krischer said the results are "proof beyond any doubt at all" that Alford committed the crime.

Charity director surrenders

MIAMI -- The former director of one of South Florida's largest homeless charities surrendered Tuesday on charges he defrauded the organization out of nearly $10,000 in goods and services.

Dale Simpson, who resigned from Camillus House earlier this year, is facing two felony grand-theft charges, plus three felony-fraud charges and one misdemeanor theft count for not paying sales tax on items bought for him with the organization's credit cards.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-locstbriefs08120804dec08,1,3412449.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

Her_True_One
12-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Google has a beta service at news.google.com which searches media sites only in real time. They will also email you stories relating to any keywords you enter. I enter: florida inmates and such.

I have this http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=female+inmate&btnG=Search+News as my start page, which keeps me informed on the issues while decreasing peace of mind.

sweetpea
12-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Teehee, Thanks!! Thats where I went HerTrueOne - I signed up for email notifications through google and now I have tons and tons of emails to go through!