View Full Version : Marriage Seminar in Texas Prisons/ Update Husbands Letter

MoMo
12-07-2004, 08:28 AM
This is long but worth it!

I would like to share with all of you a seminar I attended at my husbands unit last month. I am sorry I am just now getting around to sharing this experience. My life lately has been needless to say a little crazy. This post will be long but the experience is well worth it. I just wanted to share with you something positive that the prison system is doing for us.

This seminar is a 3-day event held by an outside group. They are called Worldwide Voice In the Wilderness. I will tell you it was an experience you will never forget! For me the best part of the whole experience was 2 things. 1st was bring God closer in our marriage and in our lives. The 2nd was I got to spend 3 full days in the arms of my husband! No, no table to sit across from that you can reach over. We got to sit right next to each other and hold and touch at our will (of course nothing offensive) We got to grab kisses when we wanted and hold each other all weekend. Both of these reasons were worth the money spent and the time away from home. I will explain to you the schedule of the weekend. First of all for a note you have to be married to attend this. I will try also to keep this short and sweet so you can understand the jest of the whole weekend.

Friday: we, the wives, met at a hospitality house at 1pm. We all met, ate a light lunch and had a meeting where they explained the events that were to happen over the weekend. There were a total of 25 wives and numerous volunteers to help this event take off. I will tell you guys this. Come with an appetite! They feed you like you have never been fed before. We went into the prison at 3pm to meet our husbands. I will tell you this you will never feel so much love in a room like I did this day. They let us talk, hug, kiss for a little over two hours. No one was there to say ‘five minutes times up’ I tell you that part was weird not to hear. We were together this day till about 8:30pm. After they lets us just visit and talk and all the lovey dovey stuff the proceeded to talk about faith and what is meant in a marriage. The rest of the evening was full of song, eating and spending time with our husbands. Leaving our husbands was hard this evening. I was very emotionally drained but happy when I left.

Saturday: today we were together from 7:30am to 8:30pm; this day was I tell you was, emotional to say the least. This day was full of song, eating and working on our marriages. They had volunteers talk and several times split into groups to talk about what had been said in that section and how it affected each of us and how what they had talked about played out into our lives as a couple. All of us couples this day went through so many emotions. People were crying, laughing and loving. The fed us three meals one I would like to tell you about that stood out and I hope I never have to experience again.

For lunch they fed us in the prison ‘dining hall’ let me tell you this right off ‘YUK”

When your loved one complain about the food BELIEVE THEM! They served what they call a Ham roll, sweet potatoes, peas and carrots and some sort of beans. You ask what a ham roll is well no it is not ham rolled up with cheese and other good stuff it is basically as I describe it is Ham Spam. Very Yuk. Needless to say I didn’t eat but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They tried to clean the ‘dining hall’ but it just smelled like dirty bleach. Didn’t top well with the nasty food served. Other than this experience the day was good and fulfilling. Yes I went back to the hotel-exhausted emotionally.

Sunday: together 7:30am to 3:30pm another day fulfilled with song, stories and just being together. I want to point out on part of this day that was so special. At the end of this day we all stood up on microphone in front of God and everyone there and told our husbands and them to tell us what we meant to each other. Basically anything goes. I didn’t think I would make it though this part. I do not do well in front of crowds. I know some of you may disagree but I turn into a nervous wreck and freak out inside. We did it and both cried and laughed at what we had to say to each other. My husband the clown he is had the whole room falling out of their chairs laughing but then ended up with everyone in tears. Oh and they fed us much better this day. Our men got to eat real food for once!

Like I told you all before this weekend was a very uplifting but emotional experience. There was a lot of tears shed this weekend. I have never seen so many men cry. Some of them found God in their lives. It really brought out the good in all. You really didn’t feel like you were right in the middle of a prison.

I want to share one story then I will let you all ask whatever questions you would like. The let anyone who wanted to stand up and say something to everyone about what the weekend has done for them. This one man stood out and touched my soul.

Picture this. He was at least 6’5 and a big guy. Not fat but very stout, muscled black man. He stood up and talked. Tears streaming down his face. I don’t remember every word but he thanked the people running to seminar. “I have been locked up for over 15 years, this is the first time in that long or longer that I have felt this free! I have never in my life felt so loved and comfortable in all this time. How is it you can feel so free still locked up in these prison walls’ he went on to thank everyone and talked a little more. We were all at this time crying like you would believe. I looked around the room and didn’t see a dry eye in the house. It still gives me goose pimples thinking about it and telling you about this story.

If any of you have questions about this post them on this thread. I do have their schedule for the next year at what prisons they will be going to. I would say to any of you who are married. If you get a chance to go to one of these DO IT!

There is so much more to talk about this weekend, I just wanted to share with you some highlights.

babieboo
12-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Wow !! I would love to do this! What unit is this at? I hope they can do it at my husband's unit. PLEASE TELL ME ASAP!!!

MoMo
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
I have the list of prison they will be at for the next year. But the list is at home. I will get the list and pm you guys with the information.
It is well worth it!!!!! I am still numb from all of it.

babieboo
12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
OH THANK YOU SO MUCH! I CAN HARDLY WAIT. DO OUR HUSBANDS HAVE TO BE IN MINIMUM CUSTODY TO ATTEND?

MoMo
12-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Yes they have to be case free for I believe 6 month to a year and not in adseg. The husbands have to apply for it and then you are sent a letter saying you are approved. You then have to send your application in. At the prison where my husband is allowed 25 couples. Each prison is differant when it comes to the amount of couples are allowed. I believe it is due to regulations of amount of people to the size room they are using. Ours was held in the chappel. I think some hold them in the gym. Like each prison has there own ways.

Remember he has to put in for it first. You gals/guys will have to tell your loved ones to keep an eye out for it. The prison should put up a sign for the inmates to see. But they also may have to get with the chaplin to find out when they are having this.

If you have any more questions. I will be happy to share it with you.

SailorMoon
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
That is fantastic!! I am so glad that you were able to go. I must say, I am still in shock though, and have to keep pinching myself, this was at a TDCJ prison? They actually allowed something that was a good thing? Is the sky falling??? :D This is an awesome event.

MoMo
12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
yes and actually my husbands prison is a level six max security prison. I didnt know what to expect going into this. But yes you could say I am blown away to say the least.
Being able to sit right next to him and hold him and lay in his arms is just truely awesome!! I didnt want it to end.

Grace1
12-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Do they have to be at the end of there sentence? If they are agg and case fre can they still do it?

babieboo
12-07-2004, 09:32 AM
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND SO GLAD YOU GOT TO HOLD HIM AND SPEND TIME WITH HIM LIKE THAT.

I AM GOING TO CLAIM THIS RIGHT NOW IN JESUS' NAME THAT WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO THE MARRIAGE SEMINAR! THANK YOU LORD!

MoMo
12-07-2004, 09:40 AM
It doesnt have a time limit of the sentance like some classes are. They can have agg cases but have to be case free and not in seg. There were plenty of guys there that have agrevated sentance but were lower in the custody rank.

So this is an incentive for your guys to keep there hinneys out of trouble!

Grace1
12-07-2004, 09:49 AM
:faint: I am happy for you too MLK!!! I was just too darn jealous the first 10 minutes to think about it!

vim1946
12-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Maureen: instead of a bajillion PMs, could you just post the schedule as a sticky on here? Just a thought.

AEMS
12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
I would be interested in knowing what units they will be at. I am sooo glad to hear TDCJ is hosting something like this. What a wonderful experience!

jftazzy102
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh wow that is too poweful.

MoMo
12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I will post the schedule later when I get home. I do not have it with me.
I would like to tell all of you also. The people who do this devote all there time to prison ministrys. They are in no way affiliated with TDCJ. TDCJ units allow them to come in and do this. So yes it is very nice for the TDC prisons to do this. It is not something they have to do.

My husbands unit hasnt done anything like this in over 4 years. The warden finally agreed to let this happen. It was an awesome jesture on his part. I totally commend him for allowing this.
This orginization also is based out of Dallas and they hold weekly services for all who want to attend. THey are wonderful caring people with a large group of volunteers who help put this on. I hope one day to help them when my husband comes home and we can go into the prisons and share our experience.
Truly uplifting experience!

key jo
12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Dallas based? I'll have to look them up. Your story was great! I about cried here at work! I can't wait to see the list and hope and pray my husband's unit is on it. I'd love to be able to hold him and kisses without actually "sneaking" them!

Thanks Maureen!

SerenitysDancer
12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
I am so eager with anticipation, HURRY UP AND GET HOME M! Just kidding, I pray that my man's unit is on there, this is exactly what we need. But if not, all those who have an opportunity to share and express yourself like Maureen did, it would be very beautiful to post your experience. I'm talking as if its tomorrow :-). My sista you have me all excited and happy, thanks for sharing your uplifting experience. Does this ministry have a website and how did you find out about it?

mattsbabe
12-07-2004, 11:23 AM
I am so excited about this!! I had heard about some units having this weekend. and I can not wait for you to get the schedule!!!:) please let me know as well.. we are getting marring next week, and I would LOVE!! to be able to hold his hand and see him like that.. girll I know you were in heaven. that would be so freakin awesome.... can't wait to let him know about this so we can see about getting it hooked up

thanks again for the info!!!!! :)

MoMo
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I do not believe they have a website. But I have there phone number and address at home. I know hurry up and get home right. I wish I could. I would rather be there right now than at work.

There is so much more to this weekend. I will tell more as time goes on. I am getting my husband to write something his explaining our experience so you can see what it meant to him also. That part will just take some time. You guys know how the mail is.

SerenitysDancer
12-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Did a search online....Worldwide Voice in the Wilderness
P.O. Box 670682
Dallas, TX 75367
972-234-6009
www.copeministries.org/worldwide_voice.html

We will have to wait on MLK2001 for the calendar and what units they will be doing for 2005, but this is a start. They have a one page web page.

mattsbabe
12-07-2004, 12:14 PM
that is awesome thanks!!!

AEMS
12-07-2004, 12:16 PM
hearing what your husband has to say about the experience will be wonderful and very moving. i am going to write my husband now and ask him if he knows anything about this.

vim1946
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
I called them about something else that my hubby had asked me and I did find out that I just missed the one at Eastham so they won't be there for another year or two. But, it is worth the wait -- but I am sure he will be home by then!

SerenitysDancer
12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
I was so anxious to find out information. Maureen you know how I am...:-). I talked to the lady who answered the phone for 15 minutes. Most marriage seminars for 2005 spots have been filled at certain units. She said word spreads fast and they quickly fill up. It is as Maureen described all those blissful, beautiful moments with your husband. Actually being allowed to eat 2-3 meals with him.

The fee they charge only covers their expenses. It is inexpensive, though she didn't give me a specific monetary figure. Either way, to me whatever the cost, to have 3 days of uninterrupted time where you can strengthen your bond with your husband is truly worth it, and learn something beneficial for your relationship, is priceless.

They are unable to go to the same unit more than once in a 2 year period. They usually get requests from the Wardens, but sometimes you can speak with the Chaplain to speak with the Warden to get a program like this approved at the unit. Of course the Warden has the power to say yes or no. It is an easier process when the Warden is the one requesting it, than for the channels to go from the Chaplian to the Warden and await a final decision.

Very soon they will start scheduling units for 2006. She didn't say exactly when. However, for 2005 they aren't holding this seminar at my man's unit, nor do I have any idea if the Warden approved it to be done. She said there could be a possibility that for 2006 my man's unit will have one there, but she couldn't confirm if they received a request from the Warden or Chaplain at his unit. So she advised for me to get the ball rolling since she could tell how interested I was to do the following:

Call the Chaplain and tell him about this program (if he doesn't know already) and ask him to speak to the Warden to obtain approval.

Tell my man to request to sign up for this marriage seminar with the Chaplain, and to speak with him about the program, whether it has been officially approved at his unit or not. This way he will be signed up EARLY! Then the paperwork later will be sent to me to get us confirmed and paid.

Call the Warden asking for this program to be at the unit.

Nevertheless, I will be working on this diligently, to have it available at his unit. The only thing that could happen that we wouldn't have a chance to do it is if he is released in 2006 prior to the marriage seminar date :-). Or the Warden doesn't grant approval.

Either way they still hold seminars outside of the unit, and for those newly released they have a special program. They are very nice and informative people.

They said they get a lot of requests from units to have this Marriage Seminar, but they do not have enough volunteers to field the requests. Therefore, they can't meet the demand.

MoMo
12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this SerentysDancer!!!!!!!!! You guys are just awesome with the information you can find out. It shows courage and will to beat what TDCJ has put forth us. This program is so much worth it. My husband and I both want to be apart of this when he is released! I want to put back to those who have helped us.

It is truly a wonderful program. I wish though there were more people like this out there that have a caring heart as big as they do. They devote their lives to this! They truly believe there are real people behind those crimes they are incarcerated for.

I stand up and applaud them for there efforts and devotion. At the seminar you could really see how much they cared. They cried with us and laughed with us. It is giving me goose pimples just thinking about it again. I also wanted to add this has brought me closer to God than before and I am a much better person for that!

SerenitysDancer
12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
You hit the nail on the head Maureen :-)! Your enthusiasm carries over, you have me all happy and I didn't even attend. The main thing for everyone to remember is "your incarcerated loved one" must be the one to sign up for it. They do post flyers at the unit ahead of time informing them of when it is, if they choose to read these boards. If not, whomever reads this thread will have a jump start.

Now my mind is wandering, how about the units that haven't even requested. Do you think if the Warden had enough people requesting this program, he/she could approve it? Some of us may have to team up if our loved one is at the same unit to get this ball rolling. I am all for it!

MoMo
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
I would say write those letters! Let your voices be heard. Noah never built the ark sitting on his behind!!!!!! Send the letters to the warden and the chaplin! Make phone calls. All I can say is Make It Happen!

jftazzy102
12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
You know when I first read this Maureen, I couldn't respond other than what I did. This took me right back to my visit with Herb over the holidays. And you know I think that this is the most remarkable thing I have ever heard of. I would be willing to fly from florida to attend this with Herb, but hopefully he will be home soon. If not I am going to look into it. You know Sunday before our visit was over Herb and I prayed together. and all I could do was sit there and cry. Because I finally got my GOD fearing man. You know. Love Jeanne

MoMo
12-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Its powerful isn't it Jeanne!!!!! My husband and I cried together this whole weekend. This weekend was full of every emotion.It was the most intense weekened I have ever had. I was emotionally drained when I got home. But I tell you this I wouldnt of rather been anywhere else. It was way more to me than being able to hold my husband in my arms, It was the power of God in our lives and what it meant to us personally. We were able to connect again at a level the the walls of TDCJ have tried to take away. It is the most powerful feeling I have ever felt!

MoMo
12-07-2004, 01:35 PM
I almost forgot.. They do weekends like this for the CO's also. Its awesome that they are thinking across the board. What a positive thing!

jessnkat
12-07-2004, 01:38 PM
This sounds so wonderful! But since Jess and I aren't married, we wouldn't be able to participate in the program and like Jeanne says, hopefully, he will be home before it is offered at his unit! I think it's great that yall are planning on becoming involved once he is released too, Maureen! I fully agree that it would be wonderful to give back to something that really helped you guys out!

Retired-18
12-07-2004, 01:51 PM
M you and I already talked about this, but honestly y'all just have me in tears. I have to second what mlk said, the Texas forum is awesome. I am hoping we won't need the 2006 seminar but if I do I know where to look. Great thread MLK!

jftazzy102
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM
That is the sad part Crack, I know this doesn't have anything to do with this post, but when Herb does come back to florida do I have to leave the Texas forum? I love you guys man, You all are my girls. Love Jeanne

MoMo
12-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Jeanne you better not leave! We want you to stay with us as long as you wish. I know I am not going anywhere. Unless of course the kick me out for staying logged on to much...LOL

vim1946
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Okay -- who dropped the ball? Someone was supposed to tell her! Jeanne -- you were sentenced to this forum -- mandatory supervision, 20 years to life! We couldn't function without you girl!

babieboo
12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey I am down to write some letters!!! I sure hope that it's in God's favor for polunsky to have these seminars.

I love the texas forum. You ladies are great! :thumbsup:

vim1946
12-07-2004, 02:14 PM
And not only that -- we're gorgeous and adorable too -- and so easy to get along with -- just ask Becky Oliver! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Retired-18
12-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Jeanne you can't leave us, what were you thinking??? Who else would make me laugh like you do! Babieboo, we'll be praying hard for you to get this at your man's unit. I know when MLK first told me about this she was lit up like a glow bug(I just hope it wasn't from the ham wrap)! It sounds like a fantastic way to reconnect and I hope we can bring it to more units soon. Again, thanks so much for sharing your experience MLK.

jftazzy102
12-07-2004, 02:17 PM
OH THANK GOD, Because I don't know what I could with out all. Now back to topic at hand. You know I was thinking that if it is God's Will for Herb to stay in, instead of paroling out(yes I know what I am saying because God does things for a reason) that I am going to check into this. That would be such a great gift from God and to God. Does that make sense? Thanks Mo, this has been such an uplifting post. A refresher of faith you could say. Love ya girl. jeanne

MoMo
12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
***tap tap tap... then hitting with mallet! back on topic ladies.....:D

jessnkat
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Jeanne - you are too funny!! You CAN'T leave the Texas Forum - besides Val has sentenced you to life with us!! I need another out-of-state gal in this forum with me to keep those True Texas girls in line!!!!!

jessnkat
12-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Sorry, boss lady - I wasn't fast enough to post before you commented! - back on topic now folks!!!!

key jo
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Serenity, since you spoke with the lady, did you find out which units are having them in 2005?

SerenitysDancer
12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Key, no I didn't, she talked as if there were a lot of them. so I didn't ask her to go through the list. All I know is that my man's unit wasn't on the 2005 list. Plus Maureen said she is going to post the calendar, so I was waiting on that when she gets a chance.

Now ladies - I am not leaving the Texas forum once my Sweetie is home....though I am a native New Yorker.....don't forget about a sista :-).

We are up for a second time round for parole in 2006, hopefully this will be our year....

MoMo
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Ok ladies just like I promised. Here are the dates of the up coming seminars for 2005

March 25-27 Telford Unit(New Boston)

May 20-22 Coffield (Tennessee Colony)

July 22-24 Lewis (woodville)

Sept 9-11 Johnston

Nov 18-20 Daniel (Snyder)

I hope this helps. Start writing those letters requesting the prison your loved one is in to hold these seminars. They are wonderful!

MrsPhil
12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
That sounds like a wonderful experience. I would give anything to be able to spend that much time with my man! It is something all prisons should offer.

mattsbabe
12-08-2004, 06:33 AM
I am so excited about this, it does not look like my hubby's unit is on the list for 2005 so maybe for 2006, and this would be sooooo awesome I agree with everyone esle. three days with Matt.. man I would be in heaven.. and I am so praying that Matt's relationshiop with God grows. and this sounds like a great opportunity for that..
thanks so much for posting all the good info on this. I am going to call Alred today and see if they have had any request for this there..
thanks again so much you ladies are awesome, and sooo encouraging..!! :)

MoMo
12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
I want to thank you all so much for making this experience with my husband even more memorable! You all are truly a special group! I am so proud to say I am apart of this wonderful forum. My wish is for all of us to grow together in the years to come no matter whether our loved ones are home or not. You all have truly blessed me more than I can begin to explain.

Thanks again for making this special weekend even more special. I truly Love all of you!

babieboo
12-08-2004, 08:55 AM
MAN!!! MY HUSBAND'S UNIT ISNT ON THERE EITHER BUT I WILL BE WRITING SOME LETTERS......THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS.

MoMo
12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Write those letters all! Let yourself be heard at the unit. If they know this is something that is important and can benifit all it will help them want to offer it.

Chocolategirl
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Well it appears you had a wonderful weekend. Please Pm me the list. What proof did they ask for proving you are married. Like I have a notrized letter stating me and my boyfriend are common law married and his prison has that noted in the system too.

MoMo
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
The list of units was posted on this thread. I believe they go off of prison records. I did not have to show anything when i went. The prison actually approves those who get to got not the people holding the seminar.

Chocolategirl
12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh, my sweetie's unit is not on there either. Have any one wrote a letter yet? I would love an example to format mine by.

MoMo
12-29-2004, 05:33 PM
My husband wrote this letter to help all you understand what this weekend did for him and I. I hope you enjoy it. It is a little long but it comes from his heart. This is one of the many reasons I love this man!

My wife asked me to write a little something about the marriage seminar we attended. I will tell you at first I was signing up for all the wrong reasons. All I could think about was 3 days of getting to hold the woman who I love more than life. Now for the first couple of hours that was what I believed the whole weekend was going to be like. Please do not get me wrong, I did get to do that, but I got so much more. Me, myself I had 3 really major moments that moved me and have been engraved in my heart for the rest of my life. 2 of which I can speak openly to you about and the third one I will write in this letter, but will leave the decision to include it on this thread to my wife, because she is not as open with personal matters.
First I would just like to say that this is a very emotionally charged weekend.. NOw people that know me or my wife will tell you that I am some what of a emotional man(I cry at comercials and movies) so the tears came like a driving rain. Now the first thing that really sticks out in my mind was when we stood up and looked into each others eyes made the oath and bowed our heads and prayed. Now I feel a little ground work is in order here. Religion has never been dicussed at length between my wife and myself. I knew she had somewhat of a stict religeous background, but when she bowed her head and prayed out loud in my ear, my heart was filled with so much joy and happiness. I have never had a relationship were I was even remotely comfertable enough to do this. So needless to say, I will treasure this memory for the rest of my life!

The second thing I felt moved me was on the last day. The day before we were asked to write something special for your partner. My wife wrote the most beautiful words I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, but that in itself was not what I will remember the most. The part I will remember the most is she did this on a microphone infront of everyone there. Now my wife is a very private person and doesnt have a real easy time with public displays of affection, so thi was probably the most difficult thing she has done. I love my wife and I was so proud of her. And every wrong I had ever done filled my head and my heart again with pain. One other thing will stick in my mind and heart is on the second day I got my wife to tell me some of her feelings and she started crying, my wife usually doesnt talk about her feelings and I was stunned and really didnt know what to say (this is what I was leaving up to her to include) Now these are things that I will never forget. But what I learned more than anything else is how much she loves me.

My wife took $100 one month before Christmas and instead of paying a bill or buying my 7 year old stepdaughter soemthing for Christmas. She took a day off of work, drove 2 1/2 hours on way and stayed 2 nights in a hotel with a complete stranger for me and our marriage. Now some of you might say this is no big deal. But what I learned at the seminar was that I am only in her life because she has chosen for me to be there. My wife has sacraficed so much both while I was out and even more now that I am here. I learned that she doesn't need me. She doesn't have to spend $60 and a full day to come see me, but she does this. My wife has endured so much in the name of love. These are the things I have learned at the seminar. I encourage you that if you have the opurtunity to attend one, do so! Even if you go for the wrong reasons before it is over with you will have a new understanding of love and sacrafice. You will also know why they put a box of tissues in front of every couple! My prayers go out to the wonderful people who gave this to us.

jftazzy102
12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Mo, that is beautiful and so heartfelt. I have goosebumps running up and down my arms. Thank you for sharing this with us. Love You Jeanne

Retired-18
12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks to you both for sharing what sounds like a deeply moving and personal experience. Mr. MLK, what you wrote touched my heart, I have always known how special your wife is, now I know just how special you are as a couple.

BrandNewGirl
12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Mo, thank you so much for sharing your husband's letter with us. It was very touching, and I appreciate so much getting to hear his perspective on things.
Please tell him thank you so much for sharing with us too.

Nancy

vim1946
12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
That was beautiful. What you two have is rare and beautiful. You (either one of you) screw it up and I'll whip your butts clear to Matamoras! Mo -- do I have your permission to copy this and send it in a letter to Stewart? We have a one day seminar the end of April and I would really like for him to read your husband's letter.

Love you both girl!

Val

MoMo
12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes you have my persmission to send this to Stewart.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful words. This was a truly special event and I believe it has helped us in so many more ways than just the weekend.

Thanks again!

Shiaya
12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
This is wonderful. I would love to find out more information as well. Please, please send us information as soon as you get it. How wonderful to actually get to hold your husband again. It has been so long...

mattsbabe
01-02-2005, 09:45 AM
that was so awesome what your husband said.. it brought me goosebumps as well..

vim1946
01-02-2005, 09:53 AM
All of you need to call the Chaplains at your loved one's unit. They aren't having this particular seminar at Eastham, but the Chaplain has arranged for a 1-day seminar the end of April. If you call your unit and they say the don't have it or don't know anything about one, have them call Chaplain Drum at Eastham Unit -- he set this one up. You never know -- you might get one there too. This one is from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm -- can you imagine -- all day with no table between you! This is going to mean so much to us. Our faith is what has brought us back together and what will keep us together -- that is what these seminars are really about -- faith and belief -- in God and each other.

Val

suzannita
01-09-2005, 11:57 AM
How do I find out the schedule for other prisons? You seem to be so knowlegable Thanks

This is long but worth it!

I would like to share with all of you a seminar I attended at my husbands unit last month. I am sorry I am just now getting around to sharing this experience. My life lately has been needless to say a little crazy. This post will be long but the experience is well worth it. I just wanted to share with you something positive that the prison system is doing for us.

This seminar is a 3-day event held by an outside group. They are called Worldwide Voice In the Wilderness. I will tell you it was an experience you will never forget! For me the best part of the whole experience was 2 things. 1st was bring God closer in our marriage and in our lives. The 2nd was I got to spend 3 full days in the arms of my husband! No, no table to sit across from that you can reach over. We got to sit right next to each other and hold and touch at our will (of course nothing offensive) We got to grab kisses when we wanted and hold each other all weekend. Both of these reasons were worth the money spent and the time away from home. I will explain to you the schedule of the weekend. First of all for a note you have to be married to attend this. I will try also to keep this short and sweet so you can understand the jest of the whole weekend.

Friday: we, the wives, met at a hospitality house at 1pm. We all met, ate a light lunch and had a meeting where they explained the events that were to happen over the weekend. There were a total of 25 wives and numerous volunteers to help this event take off. I will tell you guys this. Come with an appetite! They feed you like you have never been fed before. We went into the prison at 3pm to meet our husbands. I will tell you this you will never feel so much love in a room like I did this day. They let us talk, hug, kiss for a little over two hours. No one was there to say ‘five minutes times up’ I tell you that part was weird not to hear. We were together this day till about 8:30pm. After they lets us just visit and talk and all the lovey dovey stuff the proceeded to talk about faith and what is meant in a marriage. The rest of the evening was full of song, eating and spending time with our husbands. Leaving our husbands was hard this evening. I was very emotionally drained but happy when I left.

Saturday: today we were together from 7:30am to 8:30pm; this day was I tell you was, emotional to say the least. This day was full of song, eating and working on our marriages. They had volunteers talk and several times split into groups to talk about what had been said in that section and how it affected each of us and how what they had talked about played out into our lives as a couple. All of us couples this day went through so many emotions. People were crying, laughing and loving. The fed us three meals one I would like to tell you about that stood out and I hope I never have to experience again.

For lunch they fed us in the prison ‘dining hall’ let me tell you this right off ‘YUK”

When your loved one complain about the food BELIEVE THEM! They served what they call a Ham roll, sweet potatoes, peas and carrots and some sort of beans. You ask what a ham roll is well no it is not ham rolled up with cheese and other good stuff it is basically as I describe it is Ham Spam. Very Yuk. Needless to say I didn’t eat but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They tried to clean the ‘dining hall’ but it just smelled like dirty bleach. Didn’t top well with the nasty food served. Other than this experience the day was good and fulfilling. Yes I went back to the hotel-exhausted emotionally.

Sunday: together 7:30am to 3:30pm another day fulfilled with song, stories and just being together. I want to point out on part of this day that was so special. At the end of this day we all stood up on microphone in front of God and everyone there and told our husbands and them to tell us what we meant to each other. Basically anything goes. I didn’t think I would make it though this part. I do not do well in front of crowds. I know some of you may disagree but I turn into a nervous wreck and freak out inside. We did it and both cried and laughed at what we had to say to each other. My husband the clown he is had the whole room falling out of their chairs laughing but then ended up with everyone in tears. Oh and they fed us much better this day. Our men got to eat real food for once!

Like I told you all before this weekend was a very uplifting but emotional experience. There was a lot of tears shed this weekend. I have never seen so many men cry. Some of them found God in their lives. It really brought out the good in all. You really didn’t feel like you were right in the middle of a prison.

I want to share one story then I will let you all ask whatever questions you would like. The let anyone who wanted to stand up and say something to everyone about what the weekend has done for them. This one man stood out and touched my soul.

Picture this. He was at least 6’5 and a big guy. Not fat but very stout, muscled black man. He stood up and talked. Tears streaming down his face. I don’t remember every word but he thanked the people running to seminar. “I have been locked up for over 15 years, this is the first time in that long or longer that I have felt this free! I have never in my life felt so loved and comfortable in all this time. How is it you can feel so free still locked up in these prison walls’ he went on to thank everyone and talked a little more. We were all at this time crying like you would believe. I looked around the room and didn’t see a dry eye in the house. It still gives me goose pimples thinking about it and telling you about this story.

If any of you have questions about this post them on this thread. I do have their schedule for the next year at what prisons they will be going to. I would say to any of you who are married. If you get a chance to go to one of these DO IT!

There is so much more to talk about this weekend, I just wanted to share with you some highlights.

MoMo
01-09-2005, 12:03 PM
its on post #45 of this thread. I hope that helps. :)

momhurting
01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Mo,

That was the most Powerful letter's I have read!!! Your detail was explict
and Your Hubby's was so sweet and caring. I know how much you both Love Each Other :thumbsup: You Two will be like 2 Peas in a Pod when he comes home to be in your arm's and your sweet little one. You are one of the most sweet and caring women I know. And I'm so Blessed to have met you and share our rides.
Hugs,
Carolyn

PhillyGurLL
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM

Perry33103
01-11-2005, 08:53 PM
That was a wonderful and correct explanation of the marriage seminar. Me and my husband got to attend one last year on Valentines Day weekend in Feb. It was awesome!!! And yes, very very emotional. The day I left home to go to Amarillo we had a cold front move in and the ground was covered in ice but nothing was gonna stop me from going! I made it up there with a hour to spare to get checked into the motel and get to the front gate by 5:30p.m. that Friday evening. I was so nervous! There were some women who didn't make it and it was heartbreaking to see the look on their husbands faces when they were looking for their wife and she was not there. I'm not sure if its the same organization that you spoke about, that sponsored the marriage seminar at the Neal unit. These people were all from Amarillo and the food was catored in by a mexican restaurant in Amarillo. They donated all food and all the drinks. We take alot of things for granted out here in the free world, I seen my husbands reaction when he got to eat off of a fork. He thought that was just pretty darn neat. I was bewildered, not realizing that he doesn't get to eat with a normal fork like we do. They had provided lots of snacks too. These seminars and the people who take all the time and effort to bring people closer to God and people closer to one another in their marriage, are truly a blessing. I am looking forward to attending one again this year.

vim1946
01-11-2005, 09:10 PM
The one we will be attending will be just one day but I am so looking forward to it. His chaplain thinks we won't make it because we are of different religions and neither of is of the same religion as the chaplain but we talk a lot and we have worked this out! God understands us!

mattsbabe
01-13-2005, 06:31 AM
I called my husbands unit and talked to the chaplain's office and he said they dont' have those seminars at his unit.:( but he said that I can talk to the head Chaplain later on in the month when he gets back from vacation.. so if anybody has any advice as to how I can try to get a seminar there i would greatly appreciate it and welcome it...:)

Mac'sgirl
01-18-2005, 08:39 AM
How is a forum leader picked ? Just wonderin here !

deesmacky
04-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I just want to thank you for posting this. I'm attending the seminar next month at the Coffield unit. I've been looking for some information on this.

Thank you once again.

kwolf150
04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I am wondering if they ever consider having seminars like this in the women's prisons? They always seem to get forgotten with stuff like this. So many of the ladies get abandoned by their significant others while they are locked up.When I was at Gatesville, I was so fortunate to have my husband come every weekend to visit, but not many others were so lucky. There was always plenty of room at visitation and no need to come early to get a place, sadly.

kwolf

vim1946
04-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Someone needs to call the chaplain there and ask them to do that. and by the way -- for those with loved ones at Eastham. I am attending a one-day seminar on the 30th, but the Chaplain told me they are having one next month on May 21st and he told an acquaintance of mine that could not get approved they are already planning for next year. And they have had a lot of requests. You just have to keep asking the Chaplains at your loved one's units.

acbazan
05-13-2005, 01:26 PM
What is the name of the group that holds the seminars?

vim1946
05-13-2005, 02:24 PM
No one group does it -- it is different at each unit.

StormyNites
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Is It Just In Texaz??

vim1946
06-15-2005, 09:34 PM
The ones we are talking about are in Texas but there is no reason it couldn't be done in another state. You coulld have the chaplain at your unit contact one of the chaplains where we have had it and talk to them about it.

brylan
06-15-2005, 09:55 PM
mlk2001, can they participate if they are a SO?

MoMo
06-16-2005, 04:00 AM
mlk2001, can they participate if they are a SO?

Yes the can. The only requirement is that that are case free for like six months or a year and not in seg.

ptybrneyes
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
:) Hi MLK I happen to be reading about the mariage seminar. And I would like alist regarding what units participate if possible. Thxs.:)

MoMo
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
ptybrneyes.. Here is the link to the post in this thread that has all the dates and places that I know of.

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=885397&postcount=45

On some other posts there is some phone numbers you can call to find out the extended schedule.

sroloff
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Is there any chance they would do one of these seminars at the womans prisons? Those of us men married to woman on the inside seem to sometimes be forgotten. It sucks!