View Full Version : Driver's License-Getting one after release

MrsBenji
12-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey Ladies,

To make a long Michigan winter productive, Benji and I are trying to gather up lots of info to prepare for parole. (Even though it is 18 months away, we are both slightly neurotic planners.) Something I haven't been able to find info on is getting their driver's licences back if they have been expired for more than 180 days. I called the DMV up there twice and got two opposing answers. Surprise, Surprise, it is the DMV, right? Can anyone tell me what they have experienced? Will he just have to retest and start from scratch? He is not locked up for anything that would cause him to lose his driving privileges, so that isn't a factor. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Jenn

BayCityBabe
12-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Since it was never suspended or restricted or DUI's , he should just need to pay the reinstatement fee of 126 dollars, take the test and pay $12 for his license and be all set to go..hope that helps

mrsdragoness
12-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Hmmm.. I was told that Mr. would have to take a test and pay the $12 fee plus a $7 late fee.

I don't understand why a reinstatement fee if the license had not been suspended or revoked. The people I talked to never said a word about anything like this and my husband has been in prison 18 years!

StacysWar030
12-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Yeah, my understanding is the reinstatement fee only comes in if the License was previously suspended or revoked. But if there weren't any prior tickets and his license was good before he was incarcerated, there "shouldn't" be a reinstatement. I will do some research on this and find out for sure tho!

Stacy

MrsBenji
12-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info!! :) Of the two calls I made, one told me that he would basically just have to get a new license from scratch. I thought that sounded odd, so I waited a while and called back and spoke with someone else. That person told me what you guys are telling me, that he will have to do just what MrsD said. That sounded to easy to me, so I decided to ask here. I have a letter that I will mail out today to see what I get in writing. :) It will probably be six months from now when I get it, but I wouldn't expect any less. :)
Thanks Again!
Jenn

Jacks_Tracy
12-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Just FYI, in Michigan the Secretary of State can take action against a driver's license even if the offense was not driving related. Specifically, they revoke for convictions of manslaughter, negligent homicide and murder. The first offense is a one year revocation, the second offense is a 5 year revocation.

Also, with regard to the reinstatement fee: the $125 regular reinstatement fee is for things like MOST alcohol sanctions, Driver Assessment licensing actions, mandatory action, illegal use of license and additional suspensions. There are actually 8 different types of reinstatement fees, but from what you have said, it sounds like Mrs D and the others are correct in that he should not have to pay one.

Finally, also remember that the parole board does have the authority to say that he cannot get a DL while on supervision. I have seen that happen almost invariably if the offense was a drug-dealing type (e.g. possession with intent to deliver).

If none of those things apply, it should be smooth sailing! (I just figured you were right in that it would probably take until spring to get a response from the SOS!)

Tracy

MrsBenji
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Tracy,

Thanks for the info. His conviction was non-violent and not related to drugs, so in theory, he should be able to get his license renewed. I am not from Michigan and am not currently living up there, so it the way some of the different offices work is different to me. It is nice to know that no matter where ya go, the DMV/SOS is gonna be slow though. Comfort in familiarity, I s'pose. :)

Jenn

MrsBenji
12-08-2004, 07:07 PM
I got an update, just so it is here, in case anyone needs the info. And fast too. I got it out of the mailbox and was so surprised!

If your husband's driver license has expired for approximately a year and a half, and his status is clear, then all he would have to do would be to come down and renew his driver license in the usual fashion. He will need to present an acceptable piece of identification or his expired driver license at that time. The renewal fee is $18, plus a $10 late fee for reinstating his operator privileges. This must be done at a branch office.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact us at (517) 322-1460.

Sincerely,

A. Damianos, Departmental Technician
Department of State Information Center

Happy standing in line at the DMV now. :)

Jenn

jarlette79
12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Be careful also of this:

If the DMV is showing as his license as suspended and/or has not been renewed, the parole board may take away his driving priviledges. About 75% of the time, the parole board will give that restriction even though you just have to show up at the Secretary of State to renew it. If no driving is one of his conditions of parole, be sure to speak with his parole officer ASAP to get him to speak to the parole office to get his restriction waived.

So just keep in mind that you may have two places to go: the Secretary of State for his license and get the parole officer to waive the restriction.

StacysWar030
12-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Ok, what do they want as "acceptable piece of identification?" As it stands right now, they don't accept Prison ID. Hopefully this will change soon. But for those trying to get their license, what cant hey bring?

Stacy

MrsBenji
12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
I emailed them with the same question Stacy had. Here is the answer I got. I am wondering how the heck a newly released inmate is supposed to have utility bills, bank statements, insurance policies, etc. Maybe the goverment documents would include his release papers? Prison ID cards don't count, but maybe the release papers would prove residency. Just get the cable bill in his name before he comes home I guess. Here is the email they sent back.
Jenn

Here is a list that can help you bring identification. Since he has a driver license on file he does not have to have the primary/secondary items, but he must bring as many items as possible to prove he is who he is. Also, he will have to bring proof of residency, Examples of acceptable documents include utility bills, bank statements, insurance policies, valid student IDs from a Michigan school, paychecks or stubs, lease agreements, and government documents. Cell phone bills are not acceptable.

Id Requirements:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/DE40_032001_20459_7.pdf

Sincerely,

T.Whaley, Analyst

jarlette79
12-10-2004, 08:05 AM
In terms of valid pieces of ID, I guess it depends on the branch that you go to. When Eric got out in October, he took in his prison ID and that worked for the picture portion. But he needed to show something else with his birthdate on it. They accepted an EXPIRED passport. My guess would be that if he has a birth certificate and his prison ID, that would suffice.

I was shocked when the Secretary of State accepted his prison ID, especially because of everything I have read about here on PTO. But maybe it really just depends on who you get on what day.

katybear
01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know if you can pay the reinstatement fee while they are in prison? The form is online and can be faxed in along with payment, so I was wondering if anyone has done this?

fedupmomma
01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
"In terms of valid pieces of ID, I guess it depends on the branch that you go to."

It can depend on the individual that waits on you too. Just went through this with my son. We walked out of Sec. of State first day, then returned the second day, with the same pieces of ID, to have them accepted. They don't accept the prison ID but DOC does give them paper when they leave they will accept as one. If it is, I believe longer, then 4 years they start all over, as if 18 and getting first license. He had to take 3 page test, they gave him a 30 permit, cost $25.00, but they waived the 30 days so he could take a road test, which cost $40.00. It was frustrating at first then things went smooth. My advice, if they need the road call about this ahead of time to set up an appointment.

LeaAnn
01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I do know of a branch that did accept the prison ID, but we have yet to try it ourselves to get his ID.

katybear
02-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm beginning to believe that the secretary of state office has no clue what to do with prisoners being released. You would think that MDOC and the SOS might actually communicate with each other on the fact that most prisoners will not have the "acceptable" forms of ID when they are released. I am still working on this issue.

mrsdragoness
02-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Just a bit of info... As you all know, Mr. has been in prison for 18 years. He had no tickets prior to being incarcerated, however, because he's been down for so long he will have to get a learners permit and drive with a licensed driver for 90 days then take a driving test before he can get his license :(

queenwdg
02-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmmm.. I was told that Mr. would have to take a test and pay the $12 fee plus a $7 late fee.

I don't understand why a reinstatement fee if the license had not been suspended or revoked. The people I talked to never said a word about anything like this and my husband has been in prison 18 years!

No reinstatement fee is required since his license has NEVER been suspended or revoked. There are 2 tests a written test (40questions) and a "rode sign" test (10questions). He can only get I think 10 wrong on the written test and no more than 3 on the rode sign test. If he doesn't pass either he can come back the next day (one time per 24 hrs).

If his liecnse has been expired MORE than 4yrs, he has to take a "road test" There is a list at the SOS. If he does not have a car to take the test, most of the places on the list you get from the SOS will rent you a car. I just had to do it. They rented me the car for $25.00 dollars and the road test cost me $40 dollars, for a total of $65 dollars.

The actual road test took 35 minutes, and They gave me a parking test which included parallell parking (if you fail the parking portion the whole test is terminated and there are NO refunds, you must pass the parking part to get to the nxt part) and a freeway test. After it was done, I got my certificate, took it to the SOS and they took my picture and said I would have my picture in two weeks.

mrsdragoness
02-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Well I figured he'd have to take a road test, but according to what he was told, he has to drive with a licensed driver for at least 30 days before he can take it!! I guess we'll see. I kept my truck when I bought my new car so Mr. has a vehicle to drive when he gets home. I'm sure the driving test will be easy for him...but there won't be a freeway part to the test - the nearest one is 50 miles away :D :D

Lions Heart
02-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I thought that I read somewhere recently that several bills were introduced to accept things like prison ID's so that these guys could get started on the whole re-entry business before they are released. I thought I read about that in the Legislative forum but I wouldn't place bets on it. Even if they were introduced it will take a while to get passed. It only makes sens though.

mrsdragoness
02-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Well SUPPOSEDLY (we were told this by the transfer coordinator) when Mr. went to the REentry program the MDOC was SUPPOSED to help him with getting his drivers license, but THAT isn't happening. And since he's coming home soon and they have already extended his out date once.. I'll refrain from further comment!

fedupmomma
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
My son went through this after serving almost 10 yrs. They waived the 30 day waiting period on the learners permit, he was able to do the road test the next day. Also, MDOC will give them a document SOS will accept as 1 piece of ID, it has state letterhead.

zhane
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Just to add alittle or maybe this is a question...But I thought the guys that go through re-entry are suspose to come out with their D/L's upon completion? At least that is what an article I read said...I see Mrs. D said that it isn't happening so far for Mr....Nothing with MDOC surprises me...

mrsdragoness
02-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Nope no drivers license, no SS card, none of that in the Intensive Reentry program. In fact, the program is a big joke.

queenwdg
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
For anyone who is wondering LIKE ME:), the link at the bottom takes you to a PDF form, that was last updated in March of '08.

Here is a list that can help you bring identification. Since he has a driver license on file he does not have to have the primary/secondary items, but he must bring as many items as possible to prove he is who he is. Also, he will have to bring proof of residency, Examples of acceptable documents include utility bills, bank statements, insurance policies, valid student IDs from a Michigan school, paychecks or stubs, lease agreements, and government documents. Cell phone bills are not acceptable.

Id Requirements:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/DE40_032001_20459_7.pdf

Sincerely,

T.Whaley, Analyst

this information is still good, even the number