o 855 Camp Road
Cocoa, Florida 32927-3709
o Phone: (321) 634-6000
o Fax: (321) 637-7728
o E-Mail: brevardci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office -(321) 634-6077
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region3/310.html
o Youthful Male Facility (19-24)

Directions: This facility is located on Camp Road approximately 1 3/4 miles from I-95, take Exit 208. From Port St. John Parkway, drive east 3/4 mile to Grissom Parkway. Turn right (south) onto Grissom Parkway and drive one mile to Camp Road and turn left. Brevard Work Camp is on the first right and Brevard Correctional Institution is the second right.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1976 and houses Youthful Offender male inmates. In 1985, it was re-designated as an adult facility and in 1988 it was converted back to a Youthful Offender facility. Brevard Work Camp is under the supervision of Brevard C.I.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 349

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units 2
Cell Housing Units 10
Room Housing Units 0
Total Capacity 842
Other Information:
Population Gender Male
Adult or Youthful Youthful (19-24)
Facility Level 4
Self Contained Housing Units Yes
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1 through 3
Psychological Grades 1 and 2
Wheelchair Capabilities No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities No

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Academic Programs:

Adult Basic Education
General Education Development
Computer Assisted Instruction Lab
Mandatory Literacy Program
Special Education
Title I
Safety-Net Programs

Vocational Programs:

Applied Welding Technology
Automotive Technology
Autotronics
Carpentry and Cabinetmaking
Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts (6/02)
Diversified Career Technology
Electronic Technology
Masonry Brick and Block
Masonry Concrete

Wellness Education Services:

Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education
Sports Leagues

Library Services:

Library Program
Minor Law Collection

Substance Abuse Programs:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous

Chaplaincy Services:

Chapel Library Program
Kairos Week-ends
Prison Fellowship Monthly
Religious Education
T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
Way Home Bridge Builders
Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:

Parent and Child Together in Print

Other Ongoing Programs:

Road to Recovery (12 Step)
Corrections Distance Learning Network
Transition Skills Program

P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

None at this time.

Community Work Squads:

Dept. of Transportation 7 Squads
Public Work Squads 4 Squads
Interagency Community Service Work Squads - Yes
Contracted Work Squads - 2 Squads

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours

Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33ís, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and donít pick at, etc)

Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)

Visiting Procedures Ė Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?

Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)

Lodging Nearby

Mork
04-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Hello sweetpea i am new at this so i will try my best. I am trying to pull up the list of inmates in Brevard WORK Camp not the institution my son is in the work camp and i like to keep myself knowleged on everyone in there and know who he talking about. I have been trying to find how to do this for months now Can you help me? Thanks Mork

JohnsHeart
05-19-2005, 07:13 PM
My boyfriend spent 5 years at Brevard and was recently transferred to an adult prison. Any questions about this facility I will try and answer.

CarmelaSoprano
11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
My boyfriend spent 5 years at Brevard and was recently transferred to an adult prison. Any questions about this facility I will try and answer.

Just wanted to say hello...my b/f is in Brevard County...Sharpes, right?

I tried your link to check it out and possibly sign, but I can't seem to open it. Love to hear your story...

Melina

kmcfla
11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
My son was at Brevard for about a year. I visited him many times. Visitation hours are 9 - 3 Saturdays and Sundays. The visitation room is fairly large with a second room available when the first fills up. Strictly indoors, no outdoor visitation, no smoking, most of the time no air conditioning either (it has been in disrepair and for 7 months was "almost ready." :blah:

They are very slow about getting the visitors processed, and it usually takes at least 30 minutes to get your loved one in there to visit. Probably the most irritating thing is their adherence to the dress codes for visitors. They are entirely too strict if you ask me. If you are a woman, and your pants are too tight, your blouse too tight to suit them, sleeveless or cap sleeves, fabric too thin, skirt more than 2 inches over the knee, or your t-shirt has the wrong words on the front -- will all get you sent away. I have seen some of the people who were dressed nicely turned away for no real reason. (Once a black woman had a white bra and white blouse on and because the outline of the bra was visible she was sent away, another young woman's blouse had short cap sleeves and only came to her waist, she was sent away -- all had to find something else to wear or not visit that day. They even give directions to the nearest store where you can buy oversize t-shirts to wear inside.) Oh yeah, and a plain white T-shirt on male or female is sent away. Ridiculous, what can I say. :blah: :angry:

The best time to go is early in the morning, both for ease in finding a place to sit, and for the comfortable temperatures in summer. I don't know about places to stay nearby, but there seemed to be plenty of motels around since Brevard is only about 2 miles away from US 1 and only a couple more to the NASA space center and launch pad. :)

Of course the usual applies with regard to what you take in, money in bills smaller than $20, no more than $35 I think, my husband and I always took about $25 each, they never count the change you take in, your ID and Yellow Visitation Card, and one car key, that's it.

If there are any other questions I didn't cover, just let me know.
Happy Visiting!!
Kathy :) :thumbsup:

missmysonjoshua
08-30-2007, 05:20 PM

I was wondering what you can tell me about the camp, I am very sorry to read about John. This is a very sad story and I just don't understand the justice system.
Thank you,
Kim Flink

missmysonjoshua
08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
I have not heard from my soon since he has been transferred to Brevard in Cocoa. It is not like him to not call or write and I am getting concerned, just want to hear from him.
Can anyone tell me how it is on the inside?
Thankyou,
Kim:(

JohnsHeart
08-30-2007, 09:29 PM
when did he get there? the first couple of weeks are tight as far as priviledges. he will be doing alot of pt his first couple of weeks and will have to earn phone use etc.

MzJustice
03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
YES my nephew is in Brevard county correctional facility.I would like to know A little info on it please.He wrote a week ago an said it was a killing down there I was a total wreck.He still havent called and it's been like three weeks since he been there.We live in Pensacola he is close to Miami What a disappointment visitation will be so limited.

MzJustice
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Do anyone know how Brevard correctional facility is like.

davidsangel
04-03-2008, 06:58 AM
brevard county jail?

coco427
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi! I just found out I've been approved for visitation today (it's Friday) so I can go tomorrow. I was wondering what time the visitation is at? Like what time I need to be there and everything. If someone could please help me out ASAP! lol thanks so much.

Courtney

Tiffany061004
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
My husband has just been transferred to Brevard CI, youthful offender camp.....I was wondering if anyone had any info on visitation. What is it like, any tips on getting in and out peacfully. Are the CO's mean or nice. Are they strict? WHAt to wear? What time do you have to get there to check in? Any information would be GrEAT!!

julzDavila
06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
my boyfriend will be transferred to brevard CI and i was wounderin if ne one had ne info on te place like how are the ppl in there or how is the visitation?..

swoot
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Ok, my son has been in Bevard CI for a little over two weeks now. I have only recieved one letter from him and that was letting me know that he was moved there from CFRC. He was there for exactly one month. He hasn't called me since he left the county jail. Is this normal for them to not be able to call for such a long period of time. Also Bevard CI is one of the prisons that they send the younger guys to. (ages 18-24 I believe) I have wrote him so many times to tell him to call and write as soon as he can. I also sent him stamps, envelopes, and paper. Does anyone have any information about these prison. I have heard that they make them get out and exercise in the heat and things like that.

ccgma
10-17-2008, 05:57 PM
[my grandson has been there for about 3 weeks.....we still have not had a phone call,but we found out his phone list that he turned in at the sfrc has not made it to brevard.we have made sure the phone service is set up and ready to go ,and we have talked to the man at the phone co and he gave us his pin# that he needs to call.it is a really long one and if they lose in its a hassle for them to get it again.it was easy for us to call and get it but he might have to submit a new phone list before he can call us.i do not have that info but i will have my daughter send it to you.we have just received some mail we sent to sfrc that didn't get forwarded so maybe the rest of his info is still on the way to brevard with phone list we don't know.we are going crazy not talking to him also.....letters are kinda slow there also....seems they are almost a week behind.he has to go to some classification meeting before things will flow better.call his classification officer and they can help you,they have been pretty nice so far.....good luck!! also tyler has asked us not to put $ in his canteen because the ones that have been there longer and don't have $ just take it from the new ones....or fight for it.we send enought for personal items and such....good luck,hang in there !!dorothy (we have visitor forms if you want a head start on that.it takes 4-6 wks.let me know,we can email them to you.... )( my grandson is 19 with a 6 yr sentence)quote=swoot;3843559]Ok, my son has been in Bevard CI for a little over two weeks now. I have only recieved one letter from him and that was letting me know that he was moved there from CFRC. He was there for exactly one month. He hasn't called me since he left the county jail. Is this normal for them to not be able to call for such a long period of time. Also Bevard CI is one of the prisons that they send the younger guys to. (ages 18-24 I believe) I have wrote him so many times to tell him to call and write as soon as he can. I also sent him stamps, envelopes, and paper. Does anyone have any information about these prison. I have heard that they make them get out and exercise in the heat and things like that.[/quote]

mccuneday
10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
my son is 20 he was ent to brevard in sep i only got 1 phone call from him he also told me not to send any money because everyone takes it from you and they don't care who starts it they all get dr's and my son is trying to get in btu program so he can get out in 120 days and you can't have any dr's so he went into pc now they have transfered him back to the reception center until he gets moved again so that means still no visitation! i have been approved for 3 months and have not gotten a visit

thingstosay
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
SO far Brevard is nothing like the stories I heard, I have had no problems with commutcation with the Co, she has always been helpful. I can email you the viso form if you would like. As for the phones, seems they are in no hurry to get it going. Stay on them , talk to his Classification officer.

boop's mom
12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
My son got put there yesterday b/c his cellmate hit him! Anyone had any experience with this? Can they do anything? I know he can get mail.

ldinges
12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Send him 10 sheets of blank paper, 10 envelopes, and a book of stamps. He was more than likely sent there with none of his supplies. Sorry this happened, Isn't it "amazing" the reason they do things. Hopefully, they put him there under protective custody or administrative confinement pending investigation. Just hang in there, this to will pass, believe it or not. This whole experience is just so nearve wracking for all of us. God Bless you Both.

boop's mom
12-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks, what I really want to know is what a typical day is like for them. I was basically told he was in confinement, safe and the kid that hit him will be moved.

j2forever
01-31-2009, 10:52 PM
if that happens.. what do you do?? like if someone hits my fiance, who do i tell or what?

mccuneday
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
unfortunately, you really can't do anything. he will have to decide what is best for him if he wants to fight back or go to confinement. however i would suggest he goes to confinement and gets a transfer because even though someone hits you you can still get a dr for fighting back and the dr hurts him he will get loss of gaintime and trust me everyone wants the gaintime they have earned.

boop's mom
02-02-2009, 10:04 AM
mine requested protective custody and got out of brevard, unfortunately he had to get hit first to request it and it be approved, he asked when he first got there and was denied

faith1026
02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
My husband, according to RMC, was transferred to Brevard today. Its about 3 hours from me :(

When do u think i might hear from him? they said he wont even get there until friday because he goes to cfrc first. then im sure there's orientation again. i wonder how long it takes b4 he can use the phone.

also, does anyone know anything about the adult work camp? i beieve that's where he'll be.

appreciate any help ... i'm going crazy without talking to him .... i hate this!

thingstosay
02-05-2009, 07:41 AM
My son says as soon as he gets back to Brevard he knows he will be in PC, which puts a big damper on bootcamp, he said Brevard is so bad he knows he will have to fight & a DR will keep him from bootcamp. I pray everynight for him!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianDsGirl
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Why is brevard ci so bad??

boop's mom
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Lots of fighting and the guards are tough. My son was only there a few days and ended up in PC then he was transferred.

Tommy's Mom
05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Brevard C.I. is the worst we've encountered so far. My son also was beaten and robbed his first night there and ended up with a DR and in confinement. Confinement can be real hard or not so. Depends on your guy and his roomate. Send him some word puzzles or something, 23 hrs a day is a real long time for 15 - 30 days. My son said he thought he was hallucinating or something! His cellmate for 2 - 3 days was this big guy who wouldn't let him eat his food, he'd take it all. So after two days he filled out a sick slip so he could get outa there! Write often!

thingstosay
05-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, it was a horrible time with my son there. I never had a problem with the CO's they were pretty nice, but the other inmates are the ones you have to watch out for. I have heard some bad stories about the fighting & gangs there. I am so glad he is not there anymore!!!! When he was I did write all the time , I sent crosswords & puzzles all the time. Plus when they were on lockdown (which was alot!!!) I would go online & print out quotes from famous people in history & things like that to keep him busy. It helped, he Thanked me all the time for sending him stuff. I did subscribe him to Rolling stone , it has alot of world news & music.

cahead
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
My son got put there yesterday b/c his cellmate hit him! Anyone had any experience with this? Can they do anything? I know he can get mail.

Hello,I just visited brevard ci for the first time this weekend as it is a 200 mile trip for me.It is everything as bad as you are hearing and will continue to hear.My son has been there for almost 1 1/2 months and has the scars to prove it.I will pray for you and yours and hope that you pray for us also.We thought that a tansfer to Lancaster would improve things but now I am seeing stories about that facility too.One thing is for sure though,they are not safe at brevard,and that is including not safe from the co's,they are crooked.

cahead
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I understand they have to wait for "their month" to submit a phone no. for clearance,my phone no. didn't work from cons call home and now my son has to wait 6 months to resubmit as they do it in 6 month intervals...since he is new he may have a shorter window of time to get in your phone no. you hace to go through correctional billing and set up an account.I feel bad for you because it is a very tough place.

Ok, my son has been in Bevard CI for a little over two weeks now. I have only recieved one letter from him and that was letting me know that he was moved there from CFRC. He was there for exactly one month. He hasn't called me since he left the county jail. Is this normal for them to not be able to call for such a long period of time. Also Bevard CI is one of the prisons that they send the younger guys to. (ages 18-24 I believe) I have wrote him so many times to tell him to call and write as soon as he can. I also sent him stamps, envelopes, and paper. Does anyone have any information about these prison. I have heard that they make them get out and exercise in the heat and things like that.

cahead
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Could you please tell me how to send envelopes?magazines?

[my grandson has been there for about 3 weeks.....we still have not had a phone call,but we found out his phone list that he turned in at the sfrc has not made it to brevard.we have made sure the phone service is set up and ready to go ,and we have talked to the man at the phone co and he gave us his pin# that he needs to call.it is a really long one and if they lose in its a hassle for them to get it again.it was easy for us to call and get it but he might have to submit a new phone list before he can call us.i do not have that info but i will have my daughter send it to you.we have just received some mail we sent to sfrc that didn't get forwarded so maybe the rest of his info is still on the way to brevard with phone list we don't know.we are going crazy not talking to him also.....letters are kinda slow there also....seems they are almost a week behind.he has to go to some classification meeting before things will flow better.call his classification officer and they can help you,they have been pretty nice so far.....good luck!! also tyler has asked us not to put $ in his canteen because the ones that have been there longer and don't have $ just take it from the new ones....or fight for it.we send enought for personal items and such....good luck,hang in there !!dorothy (we have visitor forms if you want a head start on that.it takes 4-6 wks.let me know,we can email them to you.... )( my grandson is 19 with a 6 yr sentence)quote=swoot;3843559]Ok, my son has been in Bevard CI for a little over two weeks now. I have only recieved one letter from him and that was letting me know that he was moved there from CFRC. He was there for exactly one month. He hasn't called me since he left the county jail. Is this normal for them to not be able to call for such a long period of time. Also Bevard CI is one of the prisons that they send the younger guys to. (ages 18-24 I believe) I have wrote him so many times to tell him to call and write as soon as he can. I also sent him stamps, envelopes, and paper. Does anyone have any information about these prison. I have heard that they make them get out and exercise in the heat and things like that.[/QUOTE]

thingstosay
05-28-2009, 02:06 PM
If you go to the FL DOC website it will give you alot of info. You can send 10 blank sheets of paper , a book of stamps & 10 envolopes. You can subcribe him to a magazine if you would like but before you order it call the prison & ask for the mail room, let them know which magazine you are wanting to order & ask them if it is ok. Be careful when you order it that the shipping address says all of his info. I sent my son Rolling Stone, not his first choice but........it has alot of world news & I though it was important to keep him up to date.
Everytime you write him you can send a self addresed ,stamped envolope, with your letter so he can write you back.
Did you send in the viso form yet?
XOXO

t305
06-01-2009, 06:12 AM
You wake up in the morning get dress and go exercise about 5 in the morning and we use to march like we was in the army the work is crazy but u have to do it 4 gain time they had a program called tier they were seperated from the compond it is more safer if he has problems on the facility.ask him do they still have that program I know its a drug program but I seen a lot guys sign up so they can stay out of trouble

t305
06-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Brevard is bad cuz its a lot of young males who think they big and tuff around their gangs and homeboys and they want to let everyone know their badd.but by doing that what do u accomplish those r the guys with no guidence and will be right back in.like when I was their the officer would tell us some will be back and they r correct.so u tell ur love ones let it be a learning experiance and let them know they have to do the time and make sure u don't come back I been out since oct 2000 and have been doing good.went in brevard at 18 stayed 18 months and transfered to work release.I am 30 now and trust me I learn my lesson when I got out

boop's mom
06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
My son was telling me yesterday when we visited he heard talk Brevard may be closing. Anyone else heard this?

shisha
06-01-2009, 04:43 PM
oh my reading everyones messages it scares me so bad, my son just got sent to brevard , he is not a fighter and this is his first time being in trouble, i have not talked to him for about for about a week now, no letters, geeez why is it so bad there, is it worse here than any other prison ?

SapphireRose137
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
oh my reading everyones messages it scares me so bad, my son just got sent to brevard , he is not a fighter and this is his first time being in trouble, i have not talked to him for about for about a week now, no letters, geeez why is it so bad there, is it worse here than any other prison ?

Shisha, If and when i dont hear from my man I call the prison and ask question or i send an email to them to findout an answer if something is wrong or he is in the Hole. Just so i know what is going on with him.

TRy one or rather try both of those out. Be very nice in you email just say your concerned. They will get back to you.

cahead
06-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I really am happy for you,hope you continue to do well:)

QUOTE=t305;4700647]Brevard is bad cuz its a lot of young males who think they big and tuff around their gangs and homeboys and they want to let everyone know their badd.but by doing that what do u accomplish those r the guys with no guidence and will be right back in.like when I was their the officer would tell us some will be back and they r correct.so u tell ur love ones let it be a learning experiance and let them know they have to do the time and make sure u don't come back I been out since oct 2000 and have been doing good.went in brevard at 18 stayed 18 months and transfered to work release.I am 30 now and trust me I learn my lesson when I got out[/QUOTE]

cahead
06-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Can you do this through regular mail?Please advise asap.:confused:

I agree, it was a horrible time with my son there. I never had a problem with the CO's they were pretty nice, but the other inmates are the ones you have to watch out for. I have heard some bad stories about the fighting & gangs there. I am so glad he is not there anymore!!!! When he was I did write all the time , I sent crosswords & puzzles all the time. Plus when they were on lockdown (which was alot!!!) I would go online & print out quotes from famous people in history & things like that to keep him busy. It helped, he Thanked me all the time for sending him stuff. I did subscribe him to Rolling stone , it has alot of world news & music.

cahead
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
hello,is anything going on at BCI? It's unusual to not hear from my son,the CO says everything ok with him but I haven't heard from him since MEM.Day weekend

cahead
06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Has there been lock-down again? Haven't heard from my son since Memorial Day weekend.The CO says everything ok,but it is unusual to not hear from him.Also,I need advice on phone matters.I got a number from CONS CALL HOME and did my CORRECTIONAL BILLING but my son writes that the number always says it's a restricted no. What do I do?My son can't add another number for 6 months!!!!!

cahead
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I would like to find someone to regularly communicate with on happenings at BCI, sometimes it seems to take a long time waiting for a response when you don't know anyone.....Thanks:D

imissmylife
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Brevard is bad cuz its a lot of young males who think they big and tuff around their gangs and homeboys and they want to let everyone know their badd.but by doing that what do u accomplish those r the guys with no guidence and will be right back in.like when I was their the officer would tell us some will be back and they r correct.so u tell ur love ones let it be a learning experiance and let them know they have to do the time and make sure u don't come back I been out since oct 2000 and have been doing good.went in brevard at 18 stayed 18 months and transfered to work release.I am 30 now and trust me I learn my lesson when I got out
What a great story. This is what I love to hear. You learned the meaning of the word consequences and you will never go back now. Good luck in life to you and be happy.

imissmylife
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
What a great story. This is what I love to hear. You learned the meaning of the word consequences and you will never go back now. Good luck in life to you and be happy.
I just realized you are from New Port Richey. So are we. My huband got a year and a day for hitting a LEO,but it didn't matter they knocked out his three front teeth. He is so sick there in RMC I'm praying he gets out, but if he does, let's get together. :thumbsup:

BrianDsGirl
06-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey Cahead...I am not a parent but my boyfriend is at the BCI so if you ever need to know anything I will try to help you.

BrianDsGirl
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
You should call the billing correction and see if there is a block on your phone....the the number is 1800 844 6591

shisha
06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey Cahead...I am not a parent but my boyfriend is at the BCI so if you ever need to know anything I will try to help you.

hey i need a little info, this is my sons first time in trouble and in prison and mine of course with him being gone away from me. i hear all kinds of horror storys on here , what does your boyfriend tell you about everything in there. please share your story and his storied about in brevard

BrianDsGirl
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Well when he first gets there he will go through orientation. He will be fine there. That usually lasts about a week. Then once he gets into general population it gets tough....at least for the first few weeks. From what I have been told is he will have to fight. There are alot of gangs in there, he should just stay to him self. after like 3 weeks he will get his visitation form to send to you, you will have to mail it back to the classification department. The address is on the form. By this time he should have already gotten his phone list done.

Its tough in there for him. I havent had any problems with the guards but inside there they are tough on them. But from what my boyfriend says the gangs run the prison. The gangs pay the guards money to basically turn there back on certain things. There isnt alot of cameras in there so there is alot of fights.

Its tough just make sure you send him money stamps and envelopes. If there is anything else that you want to know just ask.

Tracy

cahead
06-06-2009, 08:22 AM
done that they say everything is ok...I've tried everything!!!!!

You should call the billing correction and see if there is a block on your phone....the the number is 1800 844 6591

cahead
06-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Hello all...my son is at BCI and I keep trying to join a group of girlfriend,mother's, wives...whatever so we can hopefully provide each other with BCI info...lots of things go on there as I'm sure most of you know already and if you are new,believe me it feels a lot better to chat with someone else that is familiar with BCI...it helps the worry,and maybe you can help get a message to someone's loved one if they don't have phone use yet SUCH AS ME my son has been there since 4/19/09 and can't seem to get the phone situation right.I live 200 miles away so I have only seen my son once...he had been beat up 4 times but now hopefully he has a handle on what to do to stay safer from gang jumps...anyway do tell all that you can anytime you can cause it helps

noreason
06-06-2009, 08:40 AM
done that they say everything is ok...I've tried everything!!!!!--why are you using cons call home and CBS--your problem may be with Conscallhome-are you prepaid with CBS

shisha
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
why do the guards comply with a gang ? what do the guys beat up for like what do they do to get beat up? man this is crazy.... Is there different dorms, or just one big place? tell me what a day in there is like and what do they do. Some one said they have a new wardon is this person better than the last?

Tommy's Mom
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
My son was attacked and robbed - within minutes of arriving in his cell - by four guys who were armed. Try your best to get him transferred to another facility.

Tommy's Mom
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
why do the guards comply with a gang ? what do the guys beat up for like what do they do to get beat up? man this is crazy.... Is there different dorms, or just one big place? tell me what a day in there is like and what do they do. Some one said they have a new wardon is this person better than the last?

The guys don't do anything to get beat up. Upon arrival, The gangs will either offer them protection for a steep price (if they look like a white boy whose Mom sends him canteen $); or 4 gang members will tell them to fight this one guy they pick out and either win or lose, they still get beaten up by the four guys; or they simply tell them "check-in or check-out" which means check into protective custody or you'll be checked-out of the facility in an ambulance.

The warden who is there now, is a woman, and she is the new warden they were discussing in the old posts above. The head of security, Lt. Burnhard, is also a woman. I've talked to her about the lack of security at her facility and I was told "that's how it is at all YO facilities!" The head of the mailroom, is also a woman, and I have spoken with her on many occaisions about where the mail was. 5 out of the 8 letters I sent my son were returned.

I already posted this on another thread but: The place is run by the gangs. The Zoes - Haittians; Latin Kings - Latinos; and the Crips. The guards are gang members, or former gang members. The weapons are all hid in the sand pits in the rec yard (why most stabbings occur on the yard). Injuries are not documented by the medical person there. Only people who are extremely injured are sent to RMC. At RMC this past weekend, I met a Mom whose son was just sent to RMC from BCI: his nose was shattered and his arm was twisted around so hard, he had a radial fracture.

This is not meant to just scare you...it should scare you into action! If your inmate is in this situation, start at the institutional level and work your way up the hierachy of command in DOC. Don't stop writing and calling until you get satisfaction.

shisha
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
from what i hear its not as bad in the other YO camps, I hear they have more control over the boys in the north region. BREVARD HAS A BAD NAME FOR THE WORST TROUBLE. why hasnt some looked into this place , like investigation? oh my gosh, yes i am scared for my son, im so stressed. i have not gotten a letter since june the 1st and today is the 12th.

shisha
06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Shisha, If and when i dont hear from my man I call the prison and ask question or i send an email to them to findout an answer if something is wrong or he is in the Hole. Just so i know what is going on with him.

TRy one or rather try both of those out. Be very nice in you email just say your concerned. They will get back to you.

thanks, i think i will call , now its been two weeks since he wrote me a letter and i think i need to call and find out whats going on. i just cant believe we are going thru this, its like a bad nightmare, i worry so much i have stressed out, my son has 9 months to do, they say its easier to do regular time in prison than these youth offender camps, why do they send these boys thru this. i know they did something bad to get into trouble but geeez when this is worse than regular prison, that dont seem to fair. prayer is the answer to get thru this , its been what has kept my head up

thingstosay
06-14-2009, 08:36 AM
You can print out the puzzles or buy a book of them, you can send 5 at a time plus your letter. as for the magazine it takes awhile to get them like 4 weeks once you order it. Call the prison & ask for the mail room, let them know which mag. you are thinking of ordering & see if it an approved one. They will tell you if it is OK. Just make sure when ordering it you let the company know it is be shipped to a diffrent address than yours, they screw that up alot. There were a couple of the rolling stones they would not let through because of girls on the cover, but atleast he got the ones he did. It means alot to them to have things from the outside, my son said it kept him sain. Somewhat LOL as for the puzzles you can google it it brings up alot you print out for free. Hope this helps, XOXO

shisha
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
You can print out the puzzles or buy a book of them, you can send 5 at a time plus your letter. as for the magazine it takes awhile to get them like 4 weeks once you order it. Call the prison & ask for the mail room, let them know which mag. you are thinking of ordering & see if it an approved one. They will tell you if it is OK. Just make sure when ordering it you let the company know it is be shipped to a diffrent address than yours, they screw that up alot. There were a couple of the rolling stones they would not let through because of girls on the cover, but atleast he got the ones he did. It means alot to them to have things from the outside, my son said it kept him sain. Somewhat LOL as for the puzzles you can google it it brings up alot you print out for free. Hope this helps, XOXO

that is great that they will let them have magazines, this doesnt cause fights ? i have been scared to send anything, for fear of someone wanting it and trying to fight for it...all these horror stories i hear, gosh

thingstosay
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
my son never said it caused any problems, he shared with his bunkies. Just make sure you call & ask I think it is 2 magazines subs total. Ty got VIBE free with the rollingstone. XOXO

starbella
07-02-2009, 04:55 AM
I just looked on line and saw my son has been transferred to brevard. I am so scared from just the little that I've read...my son also is not a fighter, can anyone tell me how he can make it better in there? or is it certain he will be beaten there any comments would help. Thank you

thingstosay
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Starbella

Sry to hear your son was moved to Brevard, just tell him to always be aware & careful... Not to get involed with anything keep to himself. How long is his sentence? When my son was there I didn't have any problems, but he did get into fights. Everytime I called they were nice to me . You just heve to let them know you are ontop of it. I will keep him in my prayers ......HUGS

starbella
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Shisha, I'm in the same boat as you, I would like to know what's going on, my son just got transferred there yesterday and of course I haven't heard anything. Can someone update as how it is there?

starbella
07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you so much. I am glad I found this sight. It's the not knowing thats scares me. He's a skinny little white boy and I know they will mess with him. Any help would be appreciated

Thank you again..my son has3 yrs to go...

Hi Starbella

Sry to hear your son was moved to Brevard, just tell him to always be aware & careful... Not to get involed with anything keep to himself. How long is his sentence? When my son was there I didn't have any problems, but he did get into fights. Everytime I called they were nice to me . You just heve to let them know you are ontop of it. I will keep him in my prayers ......HUGS

goldroof
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I just talked to my grandson's Classification Officer at Indian River. My grandson got beat with a bar in the middle of the night by some kids he had known before. He was put in PC. She said that they were going to send my son to Lake City or Lancaster nest week because he turns 19. She said that they would never meet up with my grandson again. She did not tell me if or when they would be punished. She did add that she hoped he would not be sent to Brevard.

UlrikeMorrow
08-09-2009, 04:59 PM
My son got 8 years for Burglary on an unoccupied dwelling he's at Brevard now.How long do I have to wait until I can go see him ? When can he make phone calls ? I have not heard his voice since he got to Orlando which was in May and he just got to his main camp a few days ago.

ben's girl
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
You should be able to visit as you are approved. He should have been able to turn in his phone list while he was at the reception center. If he didn't, he might be allowed to do this again for a short period of time when he first arrives at Brevard. You can also call the facility and speak to his Classification Officer to confirm if he will be able to do this. If he will, the calls will come through Correctional Billing Services, www.correctionalbillingservices.com (http://www.correctionalbillingservices.com) or 866-844-6591. You might want to go ahead and call them to see if you need a prepaid account to accept his calls or not. This way you will be all set for that first phone call.

And welcome to PTO! We also have a Parents w/ Children in Prison forum. There is a great group of parents in that forum who are very encouraging and supportive during these trying times (not that we aren't ;) ).

mccuneday
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
have you mailed the visitation form yet? call and speak to his classification officer also call and ask for the person who handles the phones and get his phone list started be prepared to fax a copy of your phone bill also mail him some stamped envelopes and paper don't give him much at this point the other inmates will fight him for his stuff wait until he tells you it's fine to send it. you can use jpay to send money but they charge a fee but it is quick and easy also tell him if he's being threatened to go in to protective custody they will transfer him. that's what my son had to do.feel free to ask any questions i will try and help if i can.

UlrikeMorrow
08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
have you mailed the visitation form yet? call and speak to his classification officer also call and ask for the person who handles the phones and get his phone list started be prepared to fax a copy of your phone bill also mail him some stamped envelopes and paper don't give him much at this point the other inmates will fight him for his stuff wait until he tells you it's fine to send it. you can use jpay to send money but they charge a fee but it is quick and easy also tell him if he's being threatened to go in to protective custody they will transfer him. that's what my son had to do.feel free to ask any questions i will try and help if i can.
Thanks so much
Where can I get Visitation papers ? Does he have to send them to me ?

mccuneday
08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
he's suppose to send it to you but you can see if someone on here can e-mail you one i got one from jpay if i had waited for my son to send one i wouldn't have got one to this day {over a year later} he still hasn't been given one i would e-mail you one but i can't figure out how to send it i do have it saved on my computer so i can print one whenever i need it. when you get it fill out completely do not leave any blanks if the questions don't pertain to you just write n/a and put a line through it so noone can add anything and mail it directly to the facility then wait about a week and call to make sure they received it. then call every couple of days they will not send you a letter back they will let him know it's been approved when they get around to it so keep calling and explain how long it's been since you have seen him it seemed to have worked for me amazingly they had it approved in a week i see on here some people say it takes weeks to months to get approved so stay on top of it . also find out the rules and times when you call because there are basic guidlines but some of the rules change depending on the facility. good luck! i'm sure you'll find someone on here who can e-mail it to you if not go to jpay they have it posted there .

UlrikeMorrow
08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much for all of your help it's going to be a long 8 years not only for him but for me,too.

Fries With That
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah I hear Brevard is a hell hole and is run by Zoe Pound the Haitian gang.... one of my homeboys was in Brevard for a violent crime and joined Zoe Pound almost immediately.... he then got transfered for fighting.

it's garbage there....a very useless prison seeing how most of the shotcallers there are Zoe Pound and/or gangmembers from west palm beach and miami. they are destined to go back meaning their time there is useless.

so yeah not tryna scare the families here, but if ur loved one gets sent to brevard...request a transfer IMMEDIATELY.... it's nearly impossible to go through there without fighting.

jdominic3
09-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Yes, my son is there, but he is at the hospital (RMC-Main) now for a fighting injury. You can email me at (email address remvoed per PTO policy) anytime. I'm new to Prison Talk and I can't navigate around to good. But I'm learning. I do better with email. This weekend I just visited my son at RMC-Main for the first time since he has been in prision (6 months) at Brevard CI. He was at Brevard CI in confinement when I finally got approved for visitation. Brevard CI is a bad prision for my son because the gangs run the prison and my son won't bow down to them. It sounds like if the inmate bow down and obey the gang, they'll do better. My son has been in over 20 fights since he has been there. Sometimes 4 and 5 of them fought him. He is strong willed and stong in his mind. He survived all of them but he was injured enough to have surgery after this last fight. The officers can't see everything and the gang members get away with a lot. The only reason tihs fight got reported is because of the injury.

Keep writing your son until you hear from him. Try to visit ASAP!

kyjellytime
03-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Iwas at BCI from 2008 to just last month feb.2010. The reason aint nobody writin or callin the first couple weeks is cuz they prolly got into a fight or somekinda trouble where they aint aloud to use the phone. thats the same with everybody new tho u get into fights people try you. they'll be alright it jus takes a minute to get settled. but if u cant fight then i pray for ya cuz aint much else go on in git camp. sorry to scare ya'll moms out there but thats real

YoungLove<3
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Thank you for all the information :)
My boyfriend is currently there serving his sentence.
Do you guys think this is a nice prison?
and are you allowed to bring your phone or some type of camera when visiting the inmates?

ben's girl
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Welcome to PTO! :)

There are several more up to date threads about this facility that you might want to locate to get some information about this prison. You will not be allowed to take your phone, it's actually a felony, or a camera into the prison while visiting. You can purchase a picture ticket to have pictures taken while you are at visitation. They are $2.00 each.

YoungLove<3
03-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh really :) oh that makes me happy thats really cheap to have your picture taken! but do you get them right there, or how do they work?

YoungLove<3
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
also with the other gangs there is the bloods to. I know its a really tough prison, and its a constant war everyday to stay alive. All I know to say to everybody having a loved one in there is just pray to god that your loved one is safe and protected. Thats all you can do, no need to worry because you cant do anything about them being in there. As long as your loved one has people in the group alliance thing then they should be okay because the people in there group will look out for them and vise versa. :)

ben's girl
03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes, the picture is printed right then (digital camera) and some prisons allow you to take possession of the picture right then and others make you wait until you leave. Not sure why that is but it is. I've read that some also don't let the inmate take the picture back with them so you'd have to mail him a copy, but we've never experienced that anywhere Ben has been.

YoungLove<3
04-02-2010, 06:12 AM
oh okay thank you :)

floridamom91
05-28-2010, 07:33 PM

Are they many incidents there where inmates get hurt? My son has been beaten by guards and other inmates. He is afraid for his safety and so am i. He doesn't want to report it cause he is afraid. Can you shed some light on this issue? Any information you can share would be great. I need some peace of mind...if that is even possible. I'm trying not to imagine the worst case scenario for my son. I just want him to be safe!

Concered mom

cloudy_day
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I have a question about mailing items to inmates at BCCI/Sharps. I know that there is a limit to the total number of photos that can be mailed- but you can send stationery. Has anyone made their own stationery on the computer that contains photos and had this not count towards the total? I was thinking about making a border with pictures (lightened a bit, like a water mark) with empty space in the middle for writing. What to you all think? Will it get sent back/ my loved one get in trouble for having "too many" photos in his possession? Thanks!

Susan66
06-17-2010, 12:23 PM
When I take pictures of what I call the 'boring' stuff like my garden even vaca pictures I print them out on just regular copy paper and they don't count to the 50 picture limit. I never send more than 3or 4 at a time because let's face it Fla mail rooms are run by frustrated old men who are jealous we women write!

cloudy_day
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
When I take pictures of what I call the 'boring' stuff like my garden even vaca pictures I print them out on just regular copy paper and they don't count to the 50 picture limit. I never send more than 3or 4 at a time because let's face it Fla mail rooms are run by frustrated old men who are jealous we women write!

Awesome! He has very young children, so more pictures are a must so he can see how they are growing up and not miss all their little milestones :)

Haha! Mail rooms are an example of what happens when you give people a little power......it goes straight to their head!

Sparrow Love
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
how long did it take for you to get visitation approved? and how tight is too tight on the jeans you wear to visitation?

FocusRays
08-13-2010, 04:34 PM
My son just got transfered there so is Brevard still the worst youthful offender prison in FL?

Sparrow Love
08-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Focusrays yes it is. they only hold 18 years old through 24 year olds.

O442lady
08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
My boyfirend is in Brevard county jail and I think he should have been brought directly to Weusthov hospital that has a mental health unit or one of the cirlces of care facilities since he is a patient of circles of care. My fear is his "male pride" as he calls it will prevent him from recognizing and asking anyone for help. He will not get help in there and I am concerned as you are that he will be hurt. There should be some alternative to jail/prison to those who are mentally ill and I bet in some states there are. I have so little resources and seemingly no help since many are concerned that if they help they will be putting me in jeopardy. I don't know what the answer is.

Are they many incidents there where inmates get hurt? My son has been beaten by guards and other inmates. He is afraid for his safety and so am i. He doesn't want to report it cause he is afraid. Can you shed some light on this issue? Any information you can share would be great. I need some peace of mind...if that is even possible. I'm trying not to imagine the worst case scenario for my son. I just want him to be safe!

Concered mom

Niki
08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Unfortunately, once they are booked into the Brevard County Jail the only medical care they are going to get if from the jail's medical staff unless he becomes too much for them to handle. The only way he's going to get seen by medical is if he puts in a request to see the doctor. They won't take requests from family on the outside.

It is sad but the judges are reluctant to send people to inpatient treatment programs for mental illness in lieu of jail time. I haven't heard of any such programs that are being utilized anywhere in the US on a regular basis.

I'm not sure why people would worry about you being in jeopardy if they were to help you. If anything, sometimes if we irritate the jail personnel too much they will take it out on the inmate. They can't do anything to you.

If you are truly concerned for his safety in terms of being suicidal you could call medical and make your concerns known. They would then be obligated to investigate but it's not a good idea to tell them that if it's not true. If he is truly concerned for his safety he can report that and they will put him into segregation. Again, that's not a very pleasant place to be so I don't recommend it unless it's the absolute truth (like he's actually been threatened.)

If he was taking medication before he was sent to BCJ you can call them and let them know what meds in case he didn't tell them. They might ask you to have his private doctor send them some of his medical records but you'll need his signed permission to do that.

If you aren't too far away why don't you schedule a visit and see for yourself how he's doing? The visits are via video but you'd still be able to see how he is behaving. You could also discuss your concerns with him in a more face-to-face manner than via phone.

Best of luck to you. It's never easy dealing with a person with mental health issues and more often than not they're their own worst enemy.

christy239
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone. This is my 1st time ever on here but I am sure I will be on here for more to come. I am not sure if this is the riqht place to post but I'm hope it is. I am a mother of 3 wonder lil' boys & I have been on my own for about 7 months now. My boyfriend will be servinq 2 years in prison. This is his 1st time ever qettinq into trouble as an adult. But because he is only 20 yrs old, so he is currently in a youth camp. He was just taken to Brevard C. I. He has been there for about a month now. I have yet to hear from him. Ever since he was take to S. F. R. C. on July 9, 2010 I havent heard from him. He was transfered to C. F. R. C. about 3 weeks after that. As of Auqust 10, 2010 he was sent to B. C. I. I have heard many stories and it scares me to death to think of what could really be qoinq on in there. I have not recevied a sinqlt phone call or a letter. I have sent several letters to him. I have also sent him stamps, sheets of paper & envelopes. I have been tryinq to qet a visitation form but have had no luck. I have had many sleepless niqhts with the thouqhts of what is qoinq on in there. I know he is one who can hold his own and does not put up with others attitudes. But that is the reason for my main concern. I want to find a way to make sure he is ok. If there is anyone out there who can please help me with any information you can share with me. I would like to know how phone calls work, visitation forms, mail & any information from the inside. Any kind of imformation you feel will be helpful to me please share. Also I would like anyone who has loved ones in brevard who would like someone to share there experenices with me please do so. This has been a very hard time for me and I have not really had anyone to talk to about this. My family doesnt really support my choice of waitinq for him. I feel like I am stuck in place and cant move forward until I shed some liqht on this topic. Thank you for takinq the time to read this. :(:cry::(:cry:

Niki
08-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Welcome to PTO Christy239. You have found the best place there is for information and support. It's never easy when you have a loved one in prison and when you're not hearing from them in any way it makes it that much harder.

Brevard CI is a youthful offender camp for males ages 18-24. It has a reputation for being one of the worst YO camps in Florida although there are many who have made it through without any real problems. Here's a link to the thread on PTO for BCI- Brevard CI (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89155).

Here's a link where you can download and print the visitation application-
Florida Visitor App (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457828). Be sure to fill it out completely. Put N/A in any box that doesn't apply to you. Be completely honest, especially if you have any prior criminal convictions, even if they were from juvenile court. They won't deny you visitation as long as you are not currently (or in the past 1 year) on probation for anything and as long as you are not a co-defendant or someone who is not supposed to have contact with the inmate but they will deny you if you don't tell the truth on the application. Anyone 12 and older has to fill out an application. Your children under 12 can visit but you'll need to bring their birth certificate for your first visit.
Mail the completed application to BCI Attn: Classification Office. It can take up to 30 days for your application to be processed but usually it isn't that long. Be sure to call before you make the trip to visit and make sure they're not on lockdown.

As far as phone calls go, your boyfriend has to submit a list of phone numbers he would like to be able to call to his classification officer. He should have done that when he first went into DOC. Phones have to be landlines- no cellphones will be approved. You can try calling Mr Purintun in Tallahassee 850-410-4180 to see if he's submitted a list or not. He's in charge of the contract for all Florida DOC phones and he's usually very helpful. If you already have a landline and you know your boyfriend knows that number he can tell you if you're on his list or not. If you don't have a landline, you'll need to get one first and then get the number to your boyfriend for him to add to his list. If he's already submitted a list he won't be able to add you until 6 months after his first list was approved. If he tried to get you approved using a cell # they would have denied it but Mr Purintun might be able to help you get a landline approved before the 6 mos. if your name was on his list. Also, if you do already have a landline if it's not with a company that allows collect calls you will need to set up an account with Correctional Billing Services (https://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/) in order to receive calls. Even if your phone company does allow collect calls it might be cheaper going through CBS. You can go to the general info link on their homepage and click on rate-my-calls. Enter your number and his prison name. Enter 15 minutes for the length of call (that's how long Florida DOC allows) and it will tell you how much a call will be.

As far as mail goes, did you put his DOC number next to his name on the envelope? If not, he may not have received his mail. You also have to put a return address on the envelope. FDOC will forward mail up to 30 days when an inmate is transferred but since he's been moved twice rather quickly it's hard to say if he received your letters or not. If he did receive them since he's been at BCI it is possible that he could be in the hole or the facility may be on lockdown and, if thats the case, he might not have a pen to write back or he might not even have all of his property if he's in the hole. I'd just keep writing to him and,hopefully, he'll answer soon. You can try calling BCI and ask if there's some reason he hasn't been able to write. They may tell you if they've been on lockdown or if he's in the hole but there's no guarantee.

I don't have a loved one at BCI although I do know a couple of young men who have been there. Although it has a reputation for being a rough place, I do know people who have made it through without incident by minding their own business and not showing weakness or too much attitude. I actually live about 10 minutes away from BCI and rarely does anything that goes on there make it to the news media (as riots or murders probably would). I think the biggest problem is that it is full of young healthy males who are kept in close quarters so there are bound to be fights and gang issues. There are some people on here that have loved ones at BCI now or in the recent past and hopefully some of them will come along and give you some better inside info. You might want to post something directly on the BCI thread that I gave you a link to earlier.

Hang in there sweetie and try not to drive yourself crazy worrying about him. He will get through this and so will you. If there's anything else I can help you with please feel free to send me a PM (private message). To send a private message to anyone just click on their screen name in their post and choose the option to send a PM. I hope you'll come back to PTO often. I know you'll find lots of support here....Niki

niqqipls
09-11-2010, 06:33 PM
hi, im kind of new at this also, my boyfriend was just placed in Brevard C.I. and i have heard all of these horrible things about it, but they were posted almost two years ago, i was just wondering if maybe things have changed now that it is 2010. My boyfriend isnt the type of person to go start a fight although he has been fighting all his life, he mainly just keeps to himself. Do you think with that type of personality he might be okay and they will leave him alone?

niqqipls
09-11-2010, 06:35 PM
hi, im kind of new at this also, my boyfriend was just placed in Brevard C.I. and i have heard all of these horrible things about it, but they were posted almost two years ago, i was just wondering if maybe things have changed now that it is 2010. My boyfriend isnt the type of person to go start a fight although he has been fighting all his life, he mainly just keeps to himself. Do you think with that type of personality he might be okay and they will leave him alone?

Pluto6188
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM

Have you heard of an inmate losing there visitation and phone rights for 2 years? My son did and it is devastating. Is there anyone out there that can help in getting them reinstated? I cant believe I have to wait 2 years just to hear his voice or see him.. I've tried to talking to classification it didnt do any good. They just told me lies from the very begining..

whitneylou
01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Does any one know why they are not allowing visitation this weekend?blah:

Niki
01-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't know for sure, but most likely they are on lockdown again.

Honeychilds
01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
They wont tell you when you call? Call the main line 321-690-1500 and ask the operator. I was outside the visitation building once just about to go in for a visit and they went into lock down, I called and they told me why and how much longer it would be. Hopefully you get her on a good day.

whitneylou
01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
They will not tell us what is going on. He was able to call for a couple of minutes on Friday and tell us he is on lockdown until at least Wednesday. It is ridiculous how they lock them down even if they weren't the cause of the problem. Well maybe he will get some good reading done and get back to his Bible reading since he is on his bunk for a week and a half.

Only God knows.

cjp092
01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
the operator told me to call tuesday to find out why they on lockdown

Honeychilds
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
1/16/2011 it was just announced on WFTV news here in Brevard County that the detention center is indeed in lock down, due to 20 inmates being found with sharp weapons and conspiracy to riot. The strange part is that my Granddaughters mother just came back from Sharpes from a visitation with her friend. On the news they said they have been in lock down for the past week. He did not mention anything, she had the regular visitation time of 45 minutes and he is in the high security unit. This is very strange to me??? I am sure if you go to WFTV news Orlando, they have a thread on it.

Honeychilds
01-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I am looking for a thread to post about what I seen on the news and cant find one, this is getting very strange. They announce it on the news tonight and then I cant find the article. They said inmates have had phone and visitation away for past week, yet I know someone who went TONIGHT and had a visit! I do not understand what is going on!? And she said it was extremely busy, that her time got bummed, they had about 50 family members waiting and they pushed her to the next time slot? This has become a real mystery

catlynn057
01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I was planning on visiting my son this past weekend, as his birthday was Thursday. I always check before I make the 2 1/2 hr trip and they had it posted on the DOC website visitation was canceled. My son has been there for two years. His release date is this April. I think this is the hardest part for him to be so close to release the time seems to slow down. I just hope and pray everyday that he can make it the next couple months without any incidents that would keep him longer. He hates there, he had put in for a transfer last fall and was approved, but I doubt they will move him now with his release date so close. Hopefully I can visit this weekend.

Niki
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Honeychilds, I think you are confusing the different incarceration facilities in Sharpes. BCI is the youthful offender prison. They, as well as the Brevard Work Camp, have visitation on Sat. and Sun. from 9 to 3 with no appointments necessary as long as they are not on lockdown. From what you said about your friend, I suspect they were visiting someone at the Brevard County Jail where they do make appointments and where there is evening visitation. The jail is commonly referred to by it's regular visitors (both inside and out) as "Sharpes" but there are actually 4 separate facilities in Sharpes- the YO prison and the work camp are DOC, the jail is county and the juvenile detention center is DJJ. It's easy to get confused, especially if you aren't a "regular".

I have a friend who used to work at BCI and he said they probably won't lift the lockdown until they've completed their investigation and have decided that it is safe to do so. Lockdowns for several weeks, even a month in duration were not uncommon there during the time he worked there. For anyone planning on visiting this coming weekend I'd strongly recommend calling first.

Honeychilds
01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Nikki,
Thank you, that is confusing. So the visitation request forms and phone list that everyones talks about, is NOT Sharpes detention? Because I have never expierienced any of that? My husband wants to call he just picks up the phone and calls collect, and I do have to be on his visitation list, but I do not have to request a form. (I have been told that changed also that you do not have to be on inmates list, anyone can go just schedule the appointment??? I find that hard to believe) However what I seen on the news last night was about Sharpes detention center. Gonna go back and read what you wrote and try and figure it out and get it straight :) thanks for the info :)

Honeychilds
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
So I just went on the DOC website mentioned above by a Mother. I must apologize to everyone for my ignorance. My Husband has been in and out of county since he was 17, he is now 40. I had NO idea that we even had a "prison" here in Brevard county. So all the horror storys posted on here were NOT about county, but about the actual prison. I do know that my husband is looking at a very long time after sentencing. So I appreciate the education, and now understand the BIG difference between the facilities. I hope that everyone is reunited with thier loved ones and that they return home safe and able to over come what life has dealt them. Thoughts and prayers to EVERYONE!!!

Niki
01-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Don't worry about it Honeychilds. I doubt you'll find a person here that wouldn't prefer to not know a darn thing about jails or prisons. But just to help you to relax a little, there is no chance at age 40 that your husband is going to BCI (they youthful offender prison that's the subject of these threads). If he receives more than a year sentence he will be going somewhere but, for the most part, the adult prisons in Florida are nothing like BCI. Keep educating yourself. It will help you more than you know once he is sentenced if you know exactly what to expect. Hugs....Niki

cjp092
01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
visitations and phone calls are allowed. they were on lockdown from gang fighting.

whitneylou
01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Thank you. We went to see him both days this weekend. His roommate and several others were moved into the box and then to another prison because of gang fighting. He is staying out of gangs thank God.

Europeanbabe
02-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone, so my husband was transferred to Brevard today and I keep trying to find all the threads about Brevard Correctional Institution and all I keep getting is threads from a while back, I have a few questions and I know someone has to have some current answers... First of all is it possible to get his butt outta there? I am just scared for his life right now. Second, mail? Can I send self addressed stamped envelopes? and as far as visitations I sent in my form today and how does the first time work (the more details the better) Please either reply or pm me...I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

longislandny997
02-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Hey everyone, so my husband was transferred to Brevard today and I keep trying to find all the threads about Brevard Correctional Institution and all I keep getting is threads from a while back, I have a few questions and I know someone has to have some current answers... First of all is it possible to get his butt outta there? I am just scared for his life right now. Second, mail? Can I send self addressed stamped envelopes? and as far as visitations I sent in my form today and how does the first time work (the more details the better) Please either reply or pm me...I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you. Yes, you can send stamp addressed enbelopes. Get him tranferred out. Hardly likely. I was involved w/ Fla prison system. As soon as you get approved you can go see him during visitation hours. If you want to PM me and tell me alittle more on why your worried for his life etc. I might be able to help. Wishing you the best

Fencie
02-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes, you can send stamped envelopes. I **think** 20 is the limit if pre-stamped? Someone here will correct me if that's wrong. Or you can send a sheet of 20 stamps and 10 envelopes if they're separate, and 10 sheets of writing paper. Their mailroom is rather slow so be patient. You don't mention how old our husband is. Brevard C.I. is for younger offenders , and the atmosphere can be such that I don't blame you for wanting him out of there. There are three ways to get transferred from BCI -- be good and keep one's record clean for a year then request a good adjustment transfer, or be really bad and get transferred someplace worse because they can't deal with hard-asses, or get injured in a fight and shipped out to who-knows-where. Obviously the first way is by far the best way.

Brevard C.I. has a reputation for gang activity. Granted, gangs are in every facility, but especially where young men are cooped up together. Officers are constantly finding weapons and they go into lock-down a lot because of fighting. There's really no reason to be scared for his life, however. Of more concern is how he socializes and who his friends are, but that's something we outsiders can't control or even understand because the dynamics are so foreign to our own experiences, in my opinion. Have faith that he'll make wise choices and not make waves.

I've never visited there so can't help with that. Some of your questions might be answered on DOC's FAQ page: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/

Once you've reconnected with your man, you may find there's less to worry about. Worry makes our imaginations work overtime. :|

Sparrow Love
02-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey my boyfriend has been in Brevard for alomst a year now and my best friend's dude just got out from doing a little over a year there so whatever questions you have i'll try to answer.

You are only allowed to send 10 envelopes that are pre stamped ONLY. Can't pre address them, with 10 sheets of paper in an envelope that does not have the bubble wrap in it or the prong to close it. I found mine at cvs they come in a like 20 pack. If you send envelopes they have to be the small ones. And that envelope has to have two stamps on it.

Visitation only took me two weeks to get but it was because my boyfriend has friends that work in classification. See if he can get a favor to speed it up cause it could take you up to 2 months to get approved. They are really strict on the clothing you wear i would advice wearing sweats or bringing some as back up. Lose fitting shirt as well. The officers that process you are really nice and helpful and once they see you enough they'll remember your name and face and it'll be a lot easier and faster to get to him.

Oh yes and it gets cold in the main side of the visitation room lol well at least for me it does, i'm 4'11 and 99 pounds so after sitting there for 6 hours i'm freezing. That reminds me, the earlier you get there the better. You'll beat the lines and best of all get more time with him. I prefer going saturdays because sundays get full and once they starting getting full and more visitors come they start throwing the ones who got there first out to make room for the ones coming in.

Be careful on how close you are to him because the C.O's who patrol visitation are very unfriendly (not to me but to my boyfriend and other inmates).

And about getting him out of there i totally agree with Fencie.

Anything i didn't cover let me know. :)
Good Luck!

Illuminati
02-25-2011, 01:32 PM
damn I feel for you. There ain't much to do to get transferred from there unless you PC yaself then they may just send you out.

I have a homie who did time there and I got one who is in there now.

Shit is a hell hole. They bang hard out there for real.

Europeanbabe
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey does anyone know where are they " planning" to move the guys out of Brevard? As far as I know tomorrow 100 guys or so are getting moved but they are not releasing any info " For safety Purpose" pshhh.... I hope they stay in region 3 :confused:

Illuminati
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
alot have been moved already

some have gone to Hardee..

my boy went to an adult prison in northern FL, but that was cuz of a riot and loss of YO, but w/e lol

they are all gonna go to adult prisons it looks like with maybe some going to Lancaster or Lake City, but they are getting too full so yeah adult prison seems like the option

Niki
07-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Brevard Correctional Institution is officially closed. There are no inmates there as of the end of June. Many have been moved to the regular adult prisons.