View Full Version : Medical Help In Prison

BIGSLEEP
11-07-2004, 08:10 AM
HELLO, I will soon be serving 18 months at the prison in, WV. from what I have read you do not want to go to a Medical facility. But I have chronic arthritis in my legs and back and also i have sleep apnea. I have a prescrpition medicine for both, it is very hard for me to stand 5 minutes without some type of support, I weigh over 350 lbs. my DR. has qualified me disabled and unable to work, Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

kintml2u
11-12-2004, 05:09 AM
Welcome to PTO BIGSLEEP!

Will you be serving time in a state/county facility or federal?

BIGSLEEP
11-13-2004, 06:43 AM
THANK YOU, I have been reading alot of the posts since I joined and they were really helpful, I should be going to court within the next 2 weeks. and my Attorney told me that hopeefully we will get FCI Morgantown, Elkton is alot closer to home but from what I read Morgantown is alot nicer. Thanks for any insight you can give me on my medical situation.

titantoo
11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Just wanted to say welcome to PTO...a great place full of knowledgeable, thoughtful and caring people who will do their best to help and support you when they can.
I am just here to learn about the system and do not have any information that would you I am afraid....although I have to say that the little I know about Medical Facilities suggest that you want to stay away from them if you can. Better to have advice from somebody on PTO who knows.

coolchik4sure
11-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Most institutions have an approved list of medications that they can prescribe for you without having to have the approval of the medical director. Hopefully, your medication comes in a generic brand b/c it is tough to get them to approve a medication that is expensive due to it does not have a generic equivalent. You can offer to pay for your medication and have your family send it to you monthly, directly from a dr, if you get approved.

Everything requires approval, no matter how serious and life threatening your condition may be. They will probably take your current medicine and you will have to see the dr at the facility you are assigned to.

Hope this helps and goodluck!

***thank goodness you will be in a part of the country where it is not smoldering hot and the facility does not have air condition!