View Full Version : Womens Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center Vandalia Missouri

B-Ray
01-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Does anybody know anything about this place? I have a new pen-pal and she say that the inmates run the place with staff consolers and everybody is suppose to hold everybody accountable for there actions.

She said it is run by the Gateway Foundation and not the State, but there are DOC officers present. I've never heard of doing time this way.

Any information would be helpfull! She sure writes a nice letter and apparently likes to get more indepth on a subject then just the surface like, "what do I think makes a relationship work".

Ken
01-21-2003, 06:06 PM
B-Ray,

Here is the link to this prison... Missouri does not give a lot of information on there sites but this may be a start!

http://www.corrections.state.mo.us/division/adult/women1.htm

B-Ray
01-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks Teb, your right about info. I was looking to see what can be sent in like stamps and such. I didn't find any info there. I took a chance and put a stamped envelope with my letter. She said it took so long to respond because of no stamp. I'll see what happens.

Ken
01-22-2003, 06:32 PM
B-Ray,

I am not sure if this affects all prisons in Missouri or if it is a decision just by CRCC... But I used to be able to send stamps and that was stopped last year. I do believe that this decision was prison specific instead of a state DOC decision... Hope that the stamped envelop gets through!

B-Ray
02-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Well Teb, the NO stamp thingie must be State wide because she sent mine back by borrowing a stamp from her roomie. Her roomie said, no more so she gets $7.50 a month from the State but hasn't said what needs she has to use that for.

She sent me a "deposit" slip if I want to continue writting and I see that the money order must be made out to the MDOC and sent with this slip to a different address (centeral location).

You would think, if MDOC wanted less hassle/problems, that this information would on there web site. But I guess they like the POWER trip after the fact?

Ken
02-02-2003, 11:04 AM
B-Ray,

This is a real problem for a lot of Prisoners in Missouri. My Partners cellie does not work and only gets $8.50 a month. He cannot afford to write pen pals unless they send him money. They will send stamps but seem to run for the hills when he sends a deposit slip. It is a shame, because we used to be able to send them. The unfortunate part too is that anything in MO that they won't let the Prisoner have they have to use a stamp to send it back!

Yes, you will have to send the deposit slip to the office in Jefferson City MO.

MyLife1020592
03-01-2003, 01:56 AM
I have a friend that just got released from there in December. I will ask her for some information on this subject.

Retired-6
03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
As of appoximately four months ago (I have been told).... offenders are no longer able to receive stamps in the mail. They are now required to purchase them .... as usual .... its about making money off the offenders.

Christopher

Cassandra
06-23-2003, 09:45 PM
I just got out of Vandalia after being down awhile I just want to let you that there are some really good women in there but some very scandelous ones too so be careful and don't give too much too soon:rolleyes:

XFactor
08-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Cassandra.....
If you don't mind me asking (I have a sister that just got sent to WERDCC today), what was it like? Is it safe? Are the women there okay in general? I know you don't know my sister or me, but I can't help asking - will my sister be okay?

Then again, maybe I should be starting a thread about WERDCC or Chillicothe since I don't know whic one she will eventually be at.

From what you know, which one is better as far as inmate saftey?

msveggie
08-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Patch is correct in that no stamps can be sent in to a facility in the Missouri Department of Corrections. As a matter of fact they have a form that gets filled out when ever something is sent that can not be given to the inmates. This is a state wide thing. Other things that may not be sent are the following since they are considered contraband;

no blank pieces of paper

no pictures of inmates, even if the picture is of the inmate it's being sent to

no maps (don't think that one's new)

no polaroid pictures (again not new)

no more than 5 items such as print outs from the internet, pictures, etc. in one envelope

lily24
04-08-2004, 02:27 PM
i was there for almost 4 years. and my friend got out last week alot of stuff has changed.

JAM29
08-09-2004, 07:39 AM
i was there for almost 4 years. and my friend got out last week alot of stuff has changed.
have you heard of st.marys treatment center in st.louis? because my girlfriend is going there on the 27th of this month and would like all the info that is possible. she will be leaving w.e.r.d.c.c. in vandalia. also thank you.

JAM29
08-11-2004, 11:13 AM
have you heard of st.marys treatment center in st.louis? because my girlfriend is going there on the 27th of this month and would like all the info that is possible. she will be leaving w.e.r.d.c.c. in vandalia. also thank you.
you can pm me also.

cadiz
08-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Does anybody know anything about this place? I have a new pen-pal and she say that the inmates run the place with staff consolers and everybody is suppose to hold everybody accountable for there actions.

She said it is run by the Gateway Foundation and not the State, but there are DOC officers present. I've never heard of doing time this way.

Any information would be helpfull! She sure writes a nice letter and apparently likes to get more indepth on a subject then just the surface like, "what do I think makes a relationship work".

They provide services to Vandalia. I don't know about them running prisons. I don't know anything about Vandalia other than from 4 years ago.

JAM29
09-16-2004, 07:00 AM
my girlfreind has been at s.l.c.r.c in st.louis,mo almost a month in two weeks and got pretty much the info i needed.

demhold
04-13-2005, 11:18 AM
my GF is in WERDCC
want me to ask her?

gigglez1979
12-09-2005, 11:15 PM
B-RAy
Well all I can say is this, I did a year and a half in Vandalia, and the runmates weren't running anything. The CO's run it, now what she could be talking about however is the drug treatment center. You might wanna find out, cause what Cassandra said is true. While there are some really nice women in there. there are also some VERY scandolouse women!!

kittykat69991
03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
any one want to talk about werdcc im me at yahoo kittykat69991

kittykat69991
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
yes i was there guards sleeping with inmate its gross and military ran

kittykat69991
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
who is your girlfriend i might know her i was there

danmc
08-25-2006, 07:07 PM
My daughter is also doing her time at werdcc in the treatment part of the facility. It is true that all the girls there are accountable for their actions. They have jobs there, lots of counseling sessions, lots of homework and yes, lots of rules. They must obey all the rules or they can be removed from the treatment part and put over in the prison part. You can visit on the first Saturday of the month from 12:30 until 5:00 I belive it is 5:00. You can only visit during this time and only if you have been approved on the inmates visiting list. You must have a current/correct ID such as your drivers license. You can take in up to 50 dollars when you visit. In ones, fives and tens. They have a change machine inside for the vending machine. You can get a complete list of visiting rules from the facility upon request. No tank tops or tops without a sleeve. No short, shorts, no skirts that are short. No low cut tops. Lots of rules.

soccermomoffour
07-17-2007, 09:04 PM
I will be going to WERDCC on 7/20/07 for non-payment of child support to my ex-husband senteced to 4 yrs. dont know what to expect. Any help?

Christy
07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I will be going to WERDCC on 7/20/07 for non-payment of child support to my ex-husband senteced to 4 yrs. dont know what to expect. Any help?

I don't want you feeling ignored and answered your question in your other thread!

Basically the same thing I said before...go in, keep to yourself and do your time. Take classes, work and write home a lot.

prayingformyson
09-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I just learned that a former student of mine is now serving time at WERDCC, she's only 17! I wrote her and received a response back, she say she's doing okay and is trying to stay out of trouble! She has had NO contact from any of her family and I'd like to put a little money on her account, however she owes the state $$ and I've been told whatever is placed on her account will be "taken to pay her debts" My question is how then does she get money for stamps and other personal items? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Christy
09-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I think...and I cannot attest to this 100%...but they do allow the offenders to have a little bit on account for stamps and paper, etc. I think it's like $5 or $10 only. How much does she owe? She should also be getting the $7.50 a month, but I'm sure she uses that to buy personal hygiene stuff. I think they are only allowed to be given sanitary pads, not tampons...those they have to buy. And of course the state soap is awful.

That is really sweet of you to do that for her. You will really make a difference in her life. Good for you. Everyone needs support from someone and now that you have a little experience, you will be just perfect for her! I'm proud of you for sticking your neck out like that.

God, we have great members in this forum.

ram63565
09-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Husband's "debt" to the state for victims comp, public defender and all other crap has to be paid back out of anything that is sent and from the money he earns working in there..... he gets to keep $5.00 a month until the debt is satisfied. I am going to guess that this is pretty much the same across the board.

That is so sweet of you to reach out to her!!

However, I have sent money thru JPAY the day before comiissary after 3:00 pm and he received all of it to use (a whole 10 dollars but its better than nothing). I cant say this little scoot around the rules works every time but it did that once.

pammy81766
10-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Any information would be helpfull! She sure writes a nice letter and apparently likes to get more indepth on a subject then just the surface like, "what do I think makes a relationship work".She is telling the truth .shes in treatment its 120 day shoke and yes it is ran by the girls in there .as part of there treatment they say it helps you make it on the outside deside beteew right and wrong

recentCOI
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
She is telling the truth .shes in treatment its 120 day shoke and yes it is ran by the girls in there .as part of there treatment they say it helps you make it on the outside deside beteew right and wrong

I recently was a COI and a female officer, I would like you to know that yes the woman run it. The whole prison is pretty well ran by the offenders. I enjoyed working as an officer, but working with the arrogant staff that thought they are in there to punish the offenders and was very disrespectful and pushy to them is what I could not handle. The last of the straw was when one offender beat another one in the head with a padlock in a sock and did not get an assult violation, instead both got a violation for fighting. There was not a fight between the two, the one had a busted head with a gash and a lot of blood, the staff did not even send her out to get stiches, instead put her in the hole till she was released to go home with the hole still in her head. She was not treated fair nor protected by the staff which is their job. Staff is out to take staff down and keep the offenders down and try to provoke them to take them to the hole or use use of force on them. The offenders are treated bad by most of the staff!!! But when certain offenders squell to the right staff and go higher than staff at the vandelia prison they normally get what they want. If you want to know more on first hand jusst ask, I will tell you.:thumbsup:

recentCOI
11-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I just learned that a former student of mine is now serving time at WERDCC, she's only 17! I wrote her and received a response back, she say she's doing okay and is trying to stay out of trouble! She has had NO contact from any of her family and I'd like to put a little money on her account, however she owes the state $$ and I've been told whatever is placed on her account will be "taken to pay her debts" My question is how then does she get money for stamps and other personal items? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

I will let you know that as I was an Officer there, she has and gets money as she has bought herself a colored television which is over a hundred dollars, plus the cost of headphones. She always had paper, stamps, envelopes, and her heigyne items. She was released from the juvenile building when she turned 17 and started off being pretty mouthy, I never personally had any problems, as I seen her still as a child in some ways. But she had been placed in the hole 5 times in 3 months. But I know she does get money and spends at the canteen every week almost. She has a job and has to go to school during the week.

Christy
11-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I recently was a COI and a female officer, I would like you to know that yes the woman run it. The whole prison is pretty well ran by the offenders. I enjoyed working as an officer, but working with the arrogant staff that thought they are in there to punish the offenders and was very disrespectful and pushy to them is what I could not handle. The last of the straw was when one offender beat another one in the head with a padlock in a sock and did not get an assult violation, instead both got a violation for fighting. There was not a fight between the two, the one had a busted head with a gash and a lot of blood, the staff did not even send her out to get stiches, instead put her in the hole till she was released to go home with the hole still in her head. She was not treated fair nor protected by the staff which is their job. Staff is out to take staff down and keep the offenders down and try to provoke them to take them to the hole or use use of force on them. The offenders are treated bad by most of the staff!!! But when certain offenders squell to the right staff and go higher than staff at the vandelia prison they normally get what they want. If you want to know more on first hand jusst ask, I will tell you.:thumbsup:

What we all thought to begin with. THanks for coming on and telling us how it is. It's too bad people like you are still not with the DOC. It's those with your attitude that are needed. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you there and hope you stick around PTO and give us insight. Welcome.

Christy
11-28-2007, 06:28 AM
I will let you know that as I was an Officer there, she has and gets money as she has bought herself a colored television which is over a hundred dollars, plus the cost of headphones. She always had paper, stamps, envelopes, and her heigyne items. She was released from the juvenile building when she turned 17 and started off being pretty mouthy, I never personally had any problems, as I seen her still as a child in some ways. But she had been placed in the hole 5 times in 3 months. But I know she does get money and spends at the canteen every week almost. She has a job and has to go to school during the week.

I'm guessing there is only one 17 year old there and that is how you know who this is?

They sure start early with the games. It's a shame that she would try to run one on someone that truely cares. Crying shame.

moneyz chick
11-28-2007, 07:01 AM
recentCOI it is so good to hear someone from that side keep it real and state what is really going on in DOC. I was at Vandalia for 10 months and hated, transferred to Chillicothe, and it was alot more laxed. Still the same bullshit from the staff. But you were right when you said that about the staff punishing the inmates. I mean come on, when someone is sent to prison that is there punishment, the CO's shouldn't go to the extreme to punish and aggitate inmates anymore.

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I will tell you that even though I was an officer and not an offender, I was still owned by the state. They made you feel that you do not have a voice and not allowed to talk about what goes on inside the walls. If you have family in make sure they have family on this side take notes on anything that is unjustified, neglagence, excessive use of force. They need to have you as the family to have the dates, times, officers names, nurses names, doctors names, all of it for a journal. If they keep inside the institution the upper staff will have COI's go in on a target search and either make it disappear or ruin it in there. ALWAYS KEEP DOCUMENTATION!!! If staff members do there job the right way the upper chain of command makes it very hard on them, will set them up, and have other staff members interagait them till they get tired of it and quit or do something to get them in trouble and get fired. I have even seen offenders get released to release centers and a phone call made to the center before the offender even gets there to make sure something happens that the offender will be sent back to finish there time out. It is bad when staff does not want to see success from there, all they want is to see people hurt, downed, ridaculed and belittled. I had respect for offenders, what they done was none of my business. I never wanted to know or care why they were in prison, it was not my job. My job was to ensure safety and security to offenders, staff and civilians. I was not liked by staff because I give respect and treated offenders like humans not animals. Honestly I seen at least 85% of the staff treat the CHAMP dogs better than offenders. I could not believe how much staff was out to have use of force so they could be cruel or spray the pepper spray. The whole time I was an officer I never used my spray, nor did I ever pull it out to even think about using it. I knew give respect you get respect in return, if you ask you recieve if you demand you will not recieve!! I never had problems with the offenders that I was told would give me all kinds of trouble. I treated them no different than I would treat a stranger in the store. I did not lie to them, if I knew it was not an answer they wanted I would still tell them straight up. I even would warn new offenders of staff to try to keep them out of trouble. I have seen officers pick and pick on offenders to just keep them with petty violations.. When an some offenders was released from the hole officers would put them on what they called a NFL list (Not For Long). So as soon as they come in they would start picking and accusing them of things not even happening.

moneyz chick
11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
When I was at Chillicothe our Housing Unit Officer had told use that basically the same thing, as long as you were an employee for DOC then they owned you. If a CO, was out in public and an ex-offeneder happened to see them and to say Hi, that they would get in trouble if they were to carry on any type of conversation and get caught.

It is SO good to have you here on PTO with us. So we all know if our loved ones have any problems well come to you for advice on how to handle the institution, well at least I will. It's been awhile since I've been in, and I didn't get many violations, maybe 6 in 4 years, but MONEY. Well at last count it was 60 something in 7 years. :(

Thanks again....

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
moneyz chick, I will keep it real. I know the hell you went through in there. I just do not understand how someone keeps going back after dealing with the staff. As an officer staff was Hell to deal with.. I personally MO DOC needs a overhaul. Staff needs to be weeded out and new staff needs to be replaced and the training is not good either or the officers would know what there real job is. I enjoyed working with the offenders, giving them encouragement to enroll in all the schooling and when they get out get grants and go to school and help with the judicial system. I would talk with offenders on what they had outside of the prison to keep them out and strive for. I would talk to them and tell them to seek legal advice for the assistance in keeping custody of their children and help for them when they get out to have their family together. Some of the offenders never had any one to offer any praise when they done good, encouragement to strive for goals and to find the reason for their life. I enjoyed doing that part of my job. Sometimes I would have a goal to see an offender smile that never had a smile, just find their purpose!! I would remind offenders of what they have to look forward to when they got out. Tell them if their children were angry to accept the anger and respect it; give them time, and let them know you understand their anger and that you are sorry and you can not make up the time lost, but want to start now on the time you have and will be there for them. I remind them not to give up and just show the love and build a trust back up in the loved ones, it takes time as it took time to loose the trust... I loved working as an officer wanted to go into caseworker or parole officer. Still want that and will get that just not in DOC as long as the staff is the same to deal with.... For you that has been released maybe I was there when you were and offered kindness to you or an encouraging word with you. If not I am sorry you were not in my area to offer any of the encouragement. I hope if I did not get the opportunity that you found encouragement, kindness and somewhere the purpose to you. If you have children look into their eyes you will see the purpose of you and keep that as your focus. You can be what you want if you be persistant in all the right ways and reasons....You keep your head high and focuse on your future, go back to school you are never too late for more education..

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes we were told we were not allowed to have a conversation if we seen an ex offender out in the community or we would loose our job. We were always being watched and investigated and told our jobs were on the line. I did not go into public much because if I say an ex offender out in public that said hi, I would ask how they were and encourage the good job and to stay on the right track. Yes I will advise you as much as I know how on anything. I am out to get MO DOC to the public. We tax payers pay for cruel actions and not rehabilitation.

moneyz chick
11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I was at Vandalia from 2-00 to 10-00, then went to Chilli till 02-04. And whenever we had officers like you, we cherished them. Especially for us that gave a care about our life. I've been home for almost 4 years now. I'm off parole in 58 days. And I am so excited. It's been a LONG, HARD 8 years, but its all worth it. I can stand here today and say that the experience I had in there and what I had to deal with when I came home, has made me a stronger, more determined person. And now that Money is coming home, I can only say that since I've been there and done it already, I will be able to pull him back up when he bumps his head like I first did when I came home. And help give him strength when he gets discouraged because finding a job isn't as easy as what he thought.

For whatever reason you left, DOC really messed up, because you were a true asset. Not to them, but to the inmates there. My financee's cousin is the law clerk, at Vandalia right now and I don't know how she's done all of her time there. She's been there for 5 or 6 years, I think. I hated it there.

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Can you giv eme last name I can tell you how she has done her time?

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Well things has changed a lot more also, There is no open movement anymore. They do not have any innner yard either. They have a 10 minute movement on the hour for Recreation, or what they call. If you do not have an appointment you do not get to leave your wing. Recreation is from 8 am to 10 am and then from 1:30pm to 3:00pm round about that. It is horrible. They will not even allow the officers to open the wing doors for toilet tissue or pads unless it is a 10 minute movement. It is horrible.

recentCOI
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
you are not the only one who hated it there, I did due to staff. There was two sisters who were sergents edit that all they done was yell, yell and yell at staff and offenders. When they went in the wing they would come out with a handfull of ID's and write up CDV's for petty things. Then in the last year there were I think 7 male officers and sergents that got caught with either rape or their pants down with consensual, they got fired and looking at time.

moneyz chick
11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know if she's under Bedell or Alexander. One of the two, though. And the two "sisters" your talking about, I remember. And have heard HORROR stories about for YEARS. I always hung around long timers when I was at Chillicothe. It kept me out of trouble, because I was still young when I got locked up. I think I had just turned 22 or 23 at the time. Somewhere like that. And I still had a lot of spunk in me. I still do now, I just know how to use it right. The worst thing I EVER got wrote up for was not being able to drop. They had got me right after I went to the bathroom and I was so nervous that I couldn't go at all. And when I was at Vandalia, they use to let you drink as much water as you wanted, but at Chillicothe they only let you drink a limited amount of water. So. It was kind of bogus. Especially since I don't use drugs. I could see if I used and was just trying to throw them off. But.....

prayingformyson
11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
recentCOI,

I don't believe we're talking about the same 17 year old, as she went directly to the prison side from our county jail and is doing a 120, if all goes well! You may know the young lady I'm speaking of, but I don't think it's the one you're referring to.

leeperjeeper
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
you are not the only one who hated it there, I did due to staff. There was two sisters who were sergents (Fohly and Taylor) that all they done was yell, yell and yell at staff and offenders. When they went in the wing they would come out with a handfull of ID's and write up CDV's for petty things. Then in the last year there were I think 7 male officers and sergents that got caught with either rape or their pants down with consensual, they got fired and looking at time.

I don't think you should be using CO's names on the site. They are entitled to privacy just like we are. Christy help me out here.

prayingformyson
11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
leeperjeeper, I'm not Christy, but I was thinking the same thing!! Privacy is a basic right afforded to ALL on PTO!!!

nursecrachit
11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
yes you are right. please refrain of any use of names as the pto rules spell that out. maybe a better way to communicate those types of messages would be to pm if other. I'm sure christy will be along to edit this post.

Christy
11-28-2007, 06:23 PM
*mod hat on*

While I am not supposed to edit a member's post, I did in this case because the info contained is useful to the thread. Please don't post the CO names. It is against policy and we just don't want problems. I understand it was not done maliciously so I just edited them out.

Be very careful using names and other personal info on here. This is not a private message board and they are archived and accessible to all.

*mod hat off*

recentCOI
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM
No if she is doing a 120 and come in at the age of 17 it is not the same one, the one I know of first hand was only 16 when she come in from county and a Juvenile center, at the time we got her she had gotten her sentence for life. Her and two other Juveniles come in for the same crime. She turned 17 in March and was able to come out to general population, the other two are still seperated from the general populationa and kept locked down in a double wide trailor that has had all the walls tore out except to the kitchen and bathrooms. One will be released to general population this month I believe and the other one has till 2009 before she will get to general population. From what I have heard in the next 6 to 8 months there is about 7 more juveniles going into WERDCC.

recentCOI
12-03-2007, 12:27 AM
:slap: In the post I done the other day I accidently mentioned names of CO's was not even thinking about it while I was typing.

Christy
12-03-2007, 05:30 AM
:slap: In the post I done the other day I accidently mentioned names of CO's was not even thinking about it while I was typing.

Live and learn! All is good.

hatgirl69
05-23-2008, 04:09 AM

i was recently incarcerated at werdcc and just recently left on parole. The prison as a whole is not run by the inmates or the Gateway foundation. However, the treatment program at the institution is sponsored by Gateway, and the inmates are taught responsibility in running the daily schedules required by the program. But under all that the department of corrections is still the boss. They ultimately run it all, even the treatment program. If you are not in the treatment program then you are in general population where gateway does not affect you.

hatgirl69
05-23-2008, 04:15 AM
:idea: I recently was incarcerated at werdcc and was released on parole. The part your friend was refering to was the treatment program inside werdcc. As a whole, the dept. of corrections runs the place not the inmates or Gateway. However, Gateway is the foundation who sponser the treatment program there. The inmates are taught responsibility by running the daily schedule of groups and classes. But even under that, the DOC still ultimately run the place. The treatment program is only one of seven housing units.

currytoys
07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a friend in Women's Eastern Diagnostic Correctional Center in Vandalia and she is awaiting to be to be released under the bill that Matt Blunt signed stating that victim's of domestic abuse who had no prior felony convictions who have served a certain amount of their sentence could be released early. This bill was signed back in Nov. 2007 I think and she still hasn't heard anything about a parole hearing for her early release. She was abused along with her children back in 1978 and shot her husband who was a cop and so she got a capital murder charge with no parole. She's been in prison for 30 years and deserves to be out to live the rest of her life. They are really putting her case on the back burner and it's very discouraging. I heard that there is one other lady in the same prison in the same situation and she has been waiting and waiting too. Does anyone know anything about this bill?
Thanks for any input,
Sandy in St. Louis

Hardt
08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I guess everyone resents the fact that stamps can't be sent as much as I resent it. Things that have been sent back to me include a large brown envelope for something my guy wanted to mail to his father and a book I purchased at Barnes and Noble.

lesleyannsmith
09-02-2008, 12:32 AM
i have heard that it is not as bad as most places on the inside there. my mother is currently there and i have had two cousins just get out a while back. they said the only bad thing about it really was waiting on what they call open movement. which meant you can go anywhere you were allowed to go . chillicothe they said was pretty much a breeze as long as you follow the rules

rebel girl
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
The Prison is run by the State only one house is treatment that's it.If you wander is werdcc safe well yeah but most the time you catch guards trying to make passes at the female prisoners

MNTman
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
WERDCC is a work in progress.
yes it's not the smoothest run place, but they are working on things.
I am hopeful they will soon get their head and @ss wired together.
I am saddened by some of the stuff I read on this site, some just because of the human conditon these places create, and other things I know are true first hand.
the system is broken or is breaking, things could be done different, and some are, the new camara systems, and stuff like that. Millions are being spent to correct much of what is being complained about, yes your loved ones are safe, much safer than being on the streets and it's getting better. Prison is not ment to be a pleasent place, but I agree it's not intended to inflict or cause further damage to your personal condition.
what is the real answer....I don't know. I just try to do my small part I can to prepair offenders for their future by teaching them real world skills they can apply latter in life, fore I haven't given up on them yet....if and when I do give up......I'll quit the system fore the one thing we have in common both being imprisoned by the state is hope!
when hope is gone all is lost.

knd2008
02-08-2009, 05:11 AM
I just maxed from Vandalia, and if she's referring to Gateway, that is a program for substance abuse and drug abuse. Some people have to do 120s there, some 6 months, some 12 months. It is located in Housing Unit 1, with A, B, and D wing for that program. C-wing is a holdover for people just coming out of R & O. Gateway actually IS run that way. People IN Gateway are NOT allowed to speak to anyone in General Population. They can get written up (CDV) or other write-ups that are unique to Gateway. I did not have to go to "Treatment" because I didn't have a drug case or drug abuse problems. The rest of WERDCC is NOT ran this way. Those girls in Gateway take those rules VERY SERIOUSLY, therefore, if the girl doesn't WANT to change her ways of thinking and her behaviors, she'll eventually be kicked out of treatment or she'll sign out. Depending on her length of sentence, if either of these two things happen, she may wind up doing more time. That is not always the case, though. But if one of those two things DOES happen, she'll be moved from Housing Unit 1 to one of the other four in General Population: H.U. 2, H.U. 8, H.U. 3, or the Transitional Housing Unit, if she's 6 months close to leaving D.O.C., she'll go there, and it's H.U. 4. But, the entire WERDCC is NOT ran like that at all, just Treatment (Gateway) is. And, yes, Gateway is the name of the company that "runs" and "teaches" the girls there, hired out by the D.O.C.

candymaker
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Do they have a list of what can be sent there. My daughter is being sent there. SHE WILL BE DOING 120 DAYS THERE.

rebel girl
03-08-2009, 03:32 AM
basically you cant send anything except money and pictures thats about it

candymaker
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
my daughter is going in the drug treatment part for now, will she be able to phone or get letters from home? thank you for any info.

I just maxed from Vandalia, and if she's referring to Gateway, that is a program for substance abuse and drug abuse. Some people have to do 120s there, some 6 months, some 12 months. It is located in Housing Unit 1, with A, B, and D wing for that program. C-wing is a holdover for people just coming out of R & O. Gateway actually IS run that way. People IN Gateway are NOT allowed to speak to anyone in General Population. They can get written up (CDV) or other write-ups that are unique to Gateway. I did not have to go to "Treatment" because I didn't have a drug case or drug abuse problems. The rest of WERDCC is NOT ran this way. Those girls in Gateway take those rules VERY SERIOUSLY, therefore, if the girl doesn't WANT to change her ways of thinking and her behaviors, she'll eventually be kicked out of treatment or she'll sign out. Depending on her length of sentence, if either of these two things happen, she may wind up doing more time. That is not always the case, though. But if one of those two things DOES happen, she'll be moved from Housing Unit 1 to one of the other four in General Population: H.U. 2, H.U. 8, H.U. 3, or the Transitional Housing Unit, if she's 6 months close to leaving D.O.C., she'll go there, and it's H.U. 4. But, the entire WERDCC is NOT ran like that at all, just Treatment (Gateway) is. And, yes, Gateway is the name of the company that "runs" and "teaches" the girls there, hired out by the D.O.C.

candymaker
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
in the drug part will she be able to phone home or get mail?

CHAR P
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I did 2 yrs there and its all in what you make ir

conceredmom
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Hi, I am new to this site but I have a daughter in Vandalia and no it is not controlled by inmates at all ,there are staff officers all over the place and they are under strick rules as all prisons are . Now no they (most of them are not behind bars so to speak they are in dorm like rooms with other room mates ,They have count times several times a day,and are watched very often on all that they do .And yes it is ran by the State .
You can go to there site and see all the rules they are required to go by daily !!! Sorry that this pen pal has lead you to believe she and others run the prison .