View Full Version : Sedning Books to TOCI

Crissymn
10-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Hello All!! For christmas i was thinking about buying some books from the bookstore online and having them shipped to my guy in toledo. Does anyone know if they will accept these? And anything else they may let him have there? We cant even send care pacakges...I just want to try to send somthing nice for christmas!

MsChiku
10-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Crissymn, I know each Institution is different. I would call the Institution and ask what their policy is on inmates receiving books. My husband's at LaECI and he has to either order it from a vendor on the inside. Or he can request it in his box and it has to be new and a soft cover. I found this phone number for Toledo Correctional Inst. (719) 726-7977. If you're not trying to surprise your guy, maybe ask him. I would hate for them to send them right back as contriband.

My brother was in a Fed. Prison and he had to send us something like a packing release form before we could have any books mailed to him. So find out from the horses mouth and if you can, let us know too. Thanks :thumbsup:

JennyMCa
10-31-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi there

If you are on the inmates visiting list they may allow you to send a book. If you're on the visiting list you can also send money orders. They used to allow books, and I'm not really sure what made them stop allowing them.

People not on someone's list can send magazines by subscription.

In Ohio, it seems that each facility has its own rules, subject to change on the whim of the administration without notice. I sent a book once and it had to be sent to the inmates home address. Some magazine subscriptions have reached my friend without problems, some have not. The companies that sell magazine subscriptions sometimes refuse to send them to prison addresses (nice world we live in, huh?) so you should verify with the magazine or agent that they will even send it. Some places will just keep the money and never send the magazine.

Jenny

Crissymn
10-31-2004, 07:23 PM
He gets the mags i send him....I asked him on the phone the other day he says that i should have no problem sending a book as long as it comes from they publisher. So now I just need to figure out some good books to send!