View Full Version : My overall health is awful

Roger's Girl
10-23-2004, 11:01 AM
For the last three months I have been battling a problem I have never encountered before. Abnormal bleeding.

While some may think this is gross or not really a topic for open discussion I really need as many ideas as you guys have on how to get my engery level back to normal.

I have been seening a OB/GYN since July for abnormal bleeding. I have had a cyst on both ovaries and with time both have cycled themselves out. In the interim I have been bleeding. Just as an example, last Saturday I went through 11 maxi's in 8 hours. He cant explain it and doesnt seem to be all that sympathic. He just wants to fix the problem and leave me sterile and not concentrate on what the problem really is -

It has gotten to the point that I am hardly able to make it through a day of work. As soon as I get home I have to lay down for an hour just to have the engery to eat dinner. Most mornings I feel as though I have been awake for 3 days when I have just slept for 7 hours or more.

My feet swell 2-3 times the normal size and it makes it difficult to wear shoes and not be cranky every mintue of every day.

Last Friday I finally crashed. I am a Iron defeict anemic, I am on strong Iron pills and I am still bleeding. I work with nurses and they have told me if this continues I am a prime candidate for a blood transfusion just to get my hemoglobin levels up to normal. I am having a tremedous time concentrating or even remembering things. Its frustrating, its out of control and its got me very very scared.

The GYN I have been seeing is not being aggressive and I have had to schedule a 2nd opinion with another Dr. and literally start all over again.

In the mean time. I am needing any kind of home remedies, over the counter wonders or health food solutions to getting my engery level back up and I am wanting to do it as healthy as possible. Right now any type of exercise is out of the question. Its all I can do just to take another step some times.

I know this sounds really dramatic - but it has gotten to the point that it is serious.

So ANYTHING anyone can suggest I am all ears. Looking forward to hearing from you.

JJT
10-23-2004, 11:07 AM
My only advise.............. Get to the Hospital!!!!

This sounds serious. It is not normal, and should be addressed quickly.

Chicken soup isn't gonna fix this.

My sister nearly died from loss of blood and I tend to overreact, but for goodness sakes!!! You GYN should be taking an aggressive stance on this.

Find another doctor, or go to the ER!

JJT

lovenomore
10-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Well the only advice I could give is to exercise but you said that wasnt an option. Maybe even walking because that really helped me!

I too am very anemic and when I had my twins I had to have a blood tranfusion to stay alive... I was very tired, for years I had no energy untill I finally went to a Doctor. I thought it was normal to be tired having two kids and work and school but it turned out I was very abnormal. My Doc told me to start exercising so I did. Starting off slow with walking just around the block will help, I was very unhealthy and overweight and that was all I could do. Even now being 5 years and a lot of lbs later I am still on those very Nasty Iron pills and when I get off work I sometimes have to go for jogs to stay awake for dinner and the kids!

Good luck!! My problems started off because I was so young having twins, I never had to deal with that before and It was so hard to be tired all the time I feel your pain!

mrsdragoness
10-23-2004, 11:29 AM
JJT is right, chicken soup won't fix it!

I'm surprised they haven't suggested a D & C OR some hormone testing. I'd be getting another opinion QUICKLY!

mrs

1dayatatime
10-23-2004, 11:48 AM
May I ask how old you are? What meds are you taking? How long do you bleed? HOw often are your periods? How old was your mom when she went thru menopause? Any clots? Bright red or dark red blood. I am a nurse do mental health and detox but did ob/gyn for 4 yrs. I recently had surgery but it hasnt helped any. I suggest rest, vitamins along with iron. Keep a diary of the exact periods when you start when you stop and how many pads in 24 hours. Answer the above questions and I will try and help more.

ONE
---the er is always a resource--however be sure your doctor has admitting priviledges to the hospital you are at. And have you ever had an adnormal pap?

Ronnie
10-23-2004, 04:11 PM
I have experienced all of that in the past. I suffered for about a year with those same crazy symptoms. I had uterine fibroids which caused extremely heavy periods that would last from a few days to weeks on end. I would "gush" blood at a moments notice. It was hell! I finally decided to put a stop to it all. I had a partial hysterectomy, which removed my uterus and took away my periods forever!!! Because my ovaries are still intact I haven't went through menopause and I won't until the proper age. I am 37 years old now, by the way. I have two teenage children already and had already had a tubal ligation to prevent any future pregnancies, so I was a prime candidate for the surgery. My surgery was almost a year ago. Immediately after surgey my hemoglobin went back up to 12---the normal level, I had an instant energy boost and I even lost 8 pounds just from the surgery alone. The excess fluid and tissues weighed 8 pounds...can you believe that?!?!?!

How I managed during the before surgery period was with tons of vitamins and iron supplements. Unfortunately, nothing really seemed to give me that energy boost. I tried all sorts of herbs and energy drinks; but nothing seemed to work. I became mindful to accomplish as much as possible during my "peak" energy hours because I knew that once the level went down that would be the end of the line for me.

Today I am still so glad that I did it and wished that O had not put it off for as long as I did.

If your doctor isn't being aggressive enough I would drop them. Low hemoglobin can cause respiratory problems even eventual death. Please be careful and seek help soon. I wish you luck.

MrsWest11
10-23-2004, 06:19 PM
JJT is right, girl...you need to change doctors QUICK or get to the hospital...or both would be a good idea. I had to change OB/GYN's back last year cause...I bled for 45 days STRAIGHT...really heavy...I got really weak and stuff and he didn't wanna do anything but keep changing my birth control pills!!!! (which was just making it worse, BTW). So, I changed doctor's and he ran test on me and stuff...found my cysts..and then discovered I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). I'm okay now (well, except now I haven't had a period since June...cause I'm not ovulating and ahh...it's just complicated)...he has me on meds and everything. He also done a D & C on me to "clean out my uterus" cause he said that was one of the reasons I was bleeding like that. Please get this checked out and get something done about it ASAP!!! Change doctors...I don't understand why some doctors feel like they don't have to do anything when a serious problem arises...ugh. :(

Selena