3449 S.W. State Road 26
Trenton, Florida 32693
(352) 463-4100
Suncom: 640-4100
FAX: (352) 463-3476
E-Mail: lancasterci@mail.dc.state.fl.us

Chaplain's Office
(352) 463-4313

Directions: This Institution is located 35 miles west of Gainesville on SR-26. It is 3.5 miles west of Trenton on SR-26. From US-19 at Fanning Springs, take SR-26 and travel east approximately 5 miles.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1971 as a co-ed juvenile detention facility. In 1979 it was converted to a youthful offender facility. Currently, it houses youthful offender male inmates. Lancaster Work Camp is under the supervision of Lancaster C.I.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 332

Type of Housing Units:

Open Bay Housing Units 11
Cell Housing Units 1
Room Housing Units 0
Total Capacity 524

Other Information:

Population Gender Male
Adult or Youthful Youthful (19-24)
Facility Level 3
Self Contained Housing Units No
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1 through 3
Psychological Grades 1 through 3
Wheelchair Capabilities Yes
Hearing Impaired Capabilities Yes

Academic Programs:

Adult Basic Education
General Education Development
Computer Assisted Instruction Lab
Mandatory Literacy Program
Special Education
Title I
Safety-Net Programs

Vocational Programs:

Automotive Technology
Autotronics
Carpentry and Cabinetmaking
Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts
Environmental Services
Gasoline Engine Service Technology
PC Support Services (6/02)
Printing and Graphic Arts

Wellness Education Services:

Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education
Weight Training
Sports Leagues

Library Services:

Library Program
Minor Law Collection

Substance Abuse Programs:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous

Chaplaincy Services:

Active T.D. Jakes Satellite
Chapel Library Program
Faith and Character Dormitory
Religious Education
Way Home Bridge Builders
Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:

Anger and Stress Management
Victim's Awareness

Other Ongoing Programs:

Manhood Series
12 Step Program Religion Approach
Corrections Distance Learning Network
Transition Skills Program

P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

None at this time.

Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation 0 Squads
Public Work Squads 6 Squads
Interagency Community
Service Work Squads Yes

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33ís, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and donít pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Ė Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

MOM2JJZ
07-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33ís, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and donít pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Ė Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

Here is some answers to above questions:
The visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 3 pm. Morning is not crowded at all.
Attire- I had a no sleeve blouse on which was ok but was told not to wear no sleep shirt, shorts. Dress conservatively.
Check in - I received a visitor number and enter with a hand computer system.
Fenced in/covered outdoor for smokers and indoor. The facility is fairly small but there was enough seating for all of us.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

MOM2JJZ

peanut!
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know when the Lancaster CI Visitation park is going to start closing down the outer visitation and limiting visitors?
The paper they've handed out doesn't specify a time..
If anyone has loved ones at Lancaster 'n wants to see the notice they gave us I can retype it here no worries.
It essentially says that Visitation will be at a drastic minimum for 3 months while they build a larger visitation park??

DadInSC
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Please retype if you would-my son was just moved there from the RMC.

peanut!
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
-Visitation at the Main Unit-
This notice is to inform you that Lancaster Correctional Institution will begin construction on a new Visitation Building within 120 days that will seat a total of 200 visitors and inmates. When this construction begins, the outer visitation pavilion will have to be demolished in order to accommodate the new building. This will drastically reduce the legal seating capacity of the visiting park per Fire Marshall Regulations. To comply with these regulations, we must abide by the following rule as provided in Florida Administrative Code Chapter 33-601.721 regarding our designated visiting area:

When inside the visiting park has reached its maximum capacity, the warden is authorized to utilize any of the following remedies to alleviate overcrowding:
(a) Other temporary visiting areas or structures; (not available)
(b) Asking earlier visitors to voluntarily leave so that others may enter;
(c) Mandating early departures of visitors when voluntary departures are insufficient.

When construction begins, I ask for your patience, cooperation and comply with these requirements when asked to do so by security staff.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

-signed-
Gerald E. Roberts Jr.
Warden, Lancaster Correctional Institution

----

essentially, what that means if that it's a lose-lose situation if you come there early or come there late. If you come early you'll be the first to asked to leave once it hit's maximum capacity - and if you come somewhat late, you'll have to wait in line for people to leave....and waiting is excruciating..
:(
It' says 'within 120 days' but this paper was being passed out months ago, there's no date..and its rumored for construction to take up to three months? or more?
I'm just wondering if anyone knew when exactly...the CO that handed me this paper said that...you could end up having a 30 minute viso and just to take that into consideration if you are driving far distances....

............:(

girlinwaitin
10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow, he said that to you? He didn't say that to us. I highly doubt that it would get that crowded that fast to warrant a 30 minute visit. They were suppose to start it this weekend, but it got postponed to next weekend, 10-16-10. As you know, it's been postponed a lot this year, so I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it got delayed again. I talk to him at least once a day, so if I hear otherwise, I'll let you know, but as it is now, next Sat. is the day. :D

-- Jamie

peanut!
10-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Ah! Jamie! Thank you! so muchh!

girlinwaitin
10-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Just an update... He just told me they're not going to be doing it till Feb., and I called classification and they said it wasn't going to happen "anytime soon..." Ahhhh, that's good news I guess though....

Ah! Jamie! Thank you! so muchh!

tlclaybrone
03-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I would like some information about Lancaster YO Prison if anyone has any. My son is currently in Lake Butler awaiting transfer. He was at Indian River but since he's about to be 19 soon he's being moved. I heard some bad thing about the place like very prejudice. Thanks to anyone who has info.

positivet
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
My son's in Lancaster and it doesn't seem too bad, but then I don't think he tells me everything. Still, I've heard that Broward is much worse. The first couple weeks -- the bootcamp -- are the worst as they can't order canteen and are doing PT all the time. After that, I think they either get a job or start a vocational program, so they continue to stay busy. There are some bad guards, but I hear that happens everywhere. My son's not into gangs and has been approached by some, but so far nothing major has happened that I'm aware of, so I keep my fingers crossed. I don't know about the prejudice part, I have heard stories too, one from a girl who lives by me about her boyfriend getting into it with a guard. A lot of the stories on this site are from a while back, so check the dates. If your son minds his own business and tries not to stand out, hopefully he'll be okay...worrisome time, so good luck wherever he goes!

Illuminati
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
My son's in Lancaster and it doesn't seem too bad, but then I don't think he tells me everything. Still, I've heard that Broward is much worse. The first couple weeks -- the bootcamp -- are the worst as they can't order canteen and are doing PT all the time. After that, I think they either get a job or start a vocational program, so they continue to stay busy. There are some bad guards, but I hear that happens everywhere. My son's not into gangs and has been approached by some, but so far nothing major has happened that I'm aware of, so I keep my fingers crossed. I don't know about the prejudice part, I have heard stories too, one from a girl who lives by me about her boyfriend getting into it with a guard. A lot of the stories on this site are from a while back, so check the dates. If your son minds his own business and tries not to stand out, hopefully he'll be okay...worrisome time, so good luck wherever he goes!
u mean BREVARD CI

that prison is closing anyways..

Lancaster aint too bad. them guards will try to punk ya son so as long as he steps up and lets them know he aint a bitch, then he will be respected.

it's run like a military boot camp so there will be PT til he collapses, LITERALLY. and the guards will smack him around ,etc if he collapses. they dont know how to deal with young offenders there imo.

fights are nowhere near as bad as Brevard.

who knows how Lancaster will be in the future if some of Brevard's inmates get moved there when it closes. :eek:

peanut!
03-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Lancaster is pretty alright. The CO's? yes, don't get on their bad side. So important. In terms of visitation...it's pretty lax from my understanding. It is the only prison we've been to so I can't really compare. However! Keep in mind, that Lancaster IS going to merge with Brevard's inmates and...another facility I can't remember in the next couple of years....and that in itself is........................huge. Oh man. But honestly...I feel Lancaster is the 'best' of the worst. You know? It's one of the smaller ones...but that can be a good or bad thing. It's all how you handle yourself anywhere...inside those walls or out.

Illuminati
03-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm sayin,... Lancaster gonna change when some of Brevard's inmates heads over there. it'll be up to the guards to stop that because region 2 guards have more control over the inmates than Brevard's guards aka paycheck collectors.

positivet
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I did mean Brevard. When is it closing and why? Does anyone know anything about them moving the guys into open dorms at Lancaster? Is that temporary or a permanent thing? I don't know much about it except my son went from having 3 cell mates with 37 guys in the unit to an open dorm with 70 guys and a lot more restrictions.

positivet
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Also, is there anywhere to go online to find out if they are in lock down or if visitation is cancelled, or any current stuff that's going on?

kjlovesdj
07-16-2011, 01:21 AM
can someone tell me a few details about visiting at lancaster and if sandals are allowed?

kjlovesdj
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Well i just went on my first visit at Lancaster and it was nothing like people have been telling me, the CO's were very laid back and friendly, i had no problems. Now with the inmates on the other hand, the CO's do in fact try to intimidate them by slapping them over any and everything. Tell your inmates that when they get off the bus to just run in and keep their heads down because they will in fact try to slap the skin off their faces, also tell them to always be polite and they shouldnt have any problems. hope my lil words of wisdom helped somebody lol

positivet
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Lancaster has pretty good visitation. They have a new inside room that is a good size, and a pretty nice covered outside area. You can wear sandals. The guards have always treated us very well and they've always appeared to be respectful to the inmates. There is not a long line to get in either, so you don't have to show up before 9 and stand in a long line.

Crawfish
07-26-2011, 03:30 AM
The guards were nowhere near respectful to us (inmates)

Rico'sWife
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
My boyfriend is now at Lancaster he was moved there from brevard. He doesn't like it too much and there on lockdown alot so we don't get to talk on the phone as much. He's been at lancaster for about 4months now.

FedexFL
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Hello, I served in Federal for a few years in Mississippi, and my step son just got sent to Lancaster a few months ago, he has not said anything about issues, and has not said anything about guards laying their hands on him, but if he is like me, he is saving his mother from worrying. He states they have him taking his GED classes, and he seems to be getting by, His mother is trying to go an visit him, and would like to know general information from those who have been in or have been there. He has said in letters he can receive a "care package" twice a year, and we have already sent him paper, envelopes and stamps, what else is allowed to be sent in>? In Federal Prison you could not send anything other then books in and they had to be sent from the company that distributed them or from an intermediate like Barnes and Nobles or Amazon. What restrictions are there, and why has he not said anything about sending money to his comissary account? Do they not offer families to be able to send to his account? Any information would be helpful. thanking you in advance for your help.

FedexFL
02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
My boyfriend is now at Lancaster he was moved there from brevard. He doesn't like it too much and there on lockdown alot so we don't get to talk on the phone as much. He's been at lancaster for about 4months now.
My stepson is there, and me and my wife are trying to get information on the place, we are planning to go and visit and wish to know what to expect but no one seems to say much about the place, had you been? Please let me know, if you have any information. thank you.

FedexFL
02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Does anyone know when the Lancaster CI Visitation park is going to start closing down the outer visitation and limiting visitors?
The paper they've handed out doesn't specify a time..
If anyone has loved ones at Lancaster 'n wants to see the notice they gave us I can retype it here no worries.
It essentially says that Visitation will be at a drastic minimum for 3 months while they build a larger visitation park??
My Stepson is at Lancaster and we are awaiting permission to visit already sent in paperwork, how long does it take to get authorized? What is visitation like there> What should we expect>? Also, what is around that prison? Like places to stay or go to eat etc? Can we bring anything in? What is the procedure. Please help new to state prison system.

positivet
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
My son was there but that was a little over a year ago and I imagine a lot has changed since they moved Brevard guys in when they closed that prison. At that time, visitation was laid back, there wasn't a long wait line -- you could arrive around 9 and be in and seeing him in about 15-20 min. That part probably hasn't changed much... We stayed in Gainesville, where you have your pick of places to stay and eat. The camp is run like a bootcamp, with a lot of marching, different hat colors designate what level you are at, and I think everyone gets a job. From what I can see of how life has been for my son since he's been in DOC, I wish he was still there...it seemed like it was training him for a return to society much better than where he has been since. On the other hand, I don't know how much fighting and how much stress they are undergoing on the inside 'cause he would probably not tell me that. If you tell me what else you want to know, I'll try to help out.

ben's girl
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Hello, I served in Federal for a few years in Mississippi, and my step son just got sent to Lancaster a few months ago, he has not said anything about issues, and has not said anything about guards laying their hands on him, but if he is like me, he is saving his mother from worrying. He states they have him taking his GED classes, and he seems to be getting by, His mother is trying to go an visit him, and would like to know general information from those who have been in or have been there. He has said in letters he can receive a "care package" twice a year, and we have already sent him paper, envelopes and stamps, what else is allowed to be sent in>? In Federal Prison you could not send anything other then books in and they had to be sent from the company that distributed them or from an intermediate like Barnes and Nobles or Amazon. What restrictions are there, and why has he not said anything about sending money to his comissary account? Do they not offer families to be able to send to his account? Any information would be helpful. thanking you in advance for your help.

There is a new package program that has been in place since the summer. Families can send these packages once per quarter. It's basically the same stuff they can buy in the canteen but we are charged $5 for shipping. The property package (shoes, t-shirts, etc) is better for us to order because they get it much quicker than if he turned in a paper order form. There are threads about it in the FL Mail forum.

Maybe he hasn't asked for money because he doesn't want to seem like a financial burden? You can request deposit slips thru the Inmate Trust Fund (866-209-7250). There is a prompt for you to leave a message with your name and address for them to mail them to you. Or you could send it thru Jpay but it will cost you more.