View Full Version : Ways to reduce stress and relax

California Sunshine
10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
I compiled some info from many different online resources for ways to reduce stress and relax the body and mind.With that said here are a few tips.......

Get enough sleep. The more rested you are, the better you will be able to handle stress in your life. Most people need about eight hours of sleep every night to function normally. Some need less than that, others need more. Note how long you sleep when you don't set an alarm clock. If, for example, you go to sleep at 11 p.m. and wake up naturally and feeling well rested at 8 a.m., you probably need at least nine hours every night.

Balance your diet. Make sure your diet includes all the nutrients your body needs to keep you going strong. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit the amount of sugary and fatty foods and soft drinks you consume. Also cut back on caffeine and alcohol if you tend to overindulge in those things.

Exercise. Physical activity is a great stress reliever. Do something that you enjoy, so that it doesn't seem like a chore. It's also good for motivation to include a friend. That could mean playing a sport like tennis, or having a partner to exercise with at the gym or walk or jog with.

Reach out. When you're stressed, sometimes the last thing you want to do is socialize. But being with people and having fun can help you forget your troubles for a while: It's not healthy to dwell on them every minute. It's also good to talk about your problems with someone who cares about you and whom you can trust -- a friend, a family member, a spouse, or even a therapist. and who could forget our very own PTO :)

Relax. In addition to all the above, a few minutes of down time does a lot of good. You've probably heard about relaxation techniques like yoga or electronic biofeedback, but you don't have to do those things if listening to music, knitting, or just staring out the window is your idea of a relaxing break.

How to relax your body :

The systematic muscle relaxation procedure goes as follows.

While sitting quietly and comfortably, slowly inhale and exhale and close your eyes as you do so.
Bend your right hand back at the wrist and briefly hold the tension. Now relax.

Now do the same thing with the left hand. Hold the tension and now relax.

This time tighten both hands into fists and hold the tension. Feel it spread up the arms towards the elbows. Now relax.

Now bend both arms at the elbows and raise your hands up towards your shoulders. Tighten up the muscles in the biceps. Hold it. Now relax.

These three exercises have used the major muscles in the arms and started them relaxing. If you don’t move them around, they will continue to relax becoming more and more relaxed, and you can forget about them

Next, turn your attention to your face. For your forehead raise your eyebrows up a far as you can and hold the tension. Now relax.

For your eyes, squeeze the eyelids tightly together. Hold the tension. Now relax.

For your jaw you just bite down and clamp your teeth together. Feel the tension along the jaw. Now relax. These three exercises have started the face relaxing.

For your neck just bend your head forward as if trying to touch your chin to your chest. Feel the tension along the back of the neck and now relax.

For your shoulders just raise them up as high as you can and notice the tension. Now let them drop all at once and relax.

For your chest you do two things at once. Take a deep breath and hold it while at the same time trying to touch your shoulder blades together by pulling your arms back. Hold it. Now relax.

For your stomach you just pull in as if trying to touch your backbone with stomach. Now relax.

For your back you arch out and away from the chair, and you can feel tension along the spine. Now relax.

With your feet flat on the floor, press down and feel the tension spread up the back of the legs. Now relax.

For the right thigh raise your leg up on front of you and feel the tension build. Now relax.

Now do the same thing with the left leg and relax.

Finally, for your feet bend your toes up as if pointing towards the ceiling and feel the tension around the feet and ankles. Once again, relax

Stress Walk
The next time you have built up a lot of physical tension or are about to enter a difficult situation, take a walk. Walk around your desk at work, up and down stairs, down a hallway, around the block, or back and forth in your living room. A walk — even a short one — can give you a much needed "time out," releasing muscle tension and allowing more oxygen to enter your brain and body. It can be amazingly effective.

"Time-Out" Relaxation
When you are caught up in a difficult situation and need to calm yourself down, try this: First, push yourself away from your desk, or move away from whatever is causing you to be upset. Then, close your eyes, take a deep breath, exhale, and move back again. This brief "time out" can help release your physical and mental tension, providing a diversion that can help you return to the problem with a better mind set.

Other Quick Ways to Relax
Praying, listening to soothing music, or taking a few moments to be alone have also been found to help many people relax. Stretching, closing your eyes and counting to 10, or simply finding something to laugh about may also prove beneficial.
The key is to find the relaxation exercises that you find most effective and then practice them regularly. The end result will be a happier, healthier you!

Ways to relax your mind

Imagery Introduction:
Imagery is a potent method of stress reduction, especially when combined with physical relaxation methods such as deep breathing.

You will be aware of how particular environments can be very relaxing, while others can be intensely stressful. The principle behind the use of imagery in stress reduction is that you can use your imagination to recreate, and enjoy, a situation that is very relaxing. The more intensely you imagine the situation, the more relaxing the experience will be.

Imagery in Relaxation
One common use of imagery in relaxation is to imagine a scene, place or event that you remember as safe, peaceful, restful, beautiful and happy. You can bring all your senses into the image with, for example, sounds of running water and birds, the smell of cut grass, the taste of cool white wine, the warmth of the sun, etc. Use the imagined place as a retreat from stress and pressure.

Scenes can involve complex images such as lying on a beach in a deserted cove. You may “see” cliffs, sea and sand around you, “hear” the waves crashing against rocks, “smell” the salt in the air, and “feel” the warmth of the sun and a gentle breeze on your body. Other images might include looking at a mountain view, swimming in a tropical pool, or whatever you want. You will be able to come up with the most effective images for yourself.

Other uses of imagery in relaxation involve creating mental pictures of stress flowing out of your body, or of stress, distractions and everyday concerns being folded away and locked into a padlocked chest.

Imagery in Preparation and Rehearsal
You can also use imagery in rehearsal before a big event, allowing you to run through the event in your mind.

Aside from allowing you to rehearse mentally, imagery also allows you to practice in advance for anything unusual that might occur, so that you are prepared and already practiced in handling it. This is a technique used very commonly by top sports people, who learn good performance habits by repeatedly rehearsing performances in their imagination. When the unusual eventualities they have rehearsed using imagery occur, they have good, pre-prepared, habitual responses to them.

Imagery also allows you to pre-experience achievement of your goals, helping to give you the self-confidence you need to do something well. This is another technique used by successful athletes

Cottontail
10-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Hun!!! :thumbsup:

The tension is my neck and back has been horrific lately...between sitting at the computer all day at work, and the everyday stress...I have knots the size of golf balls!!!

I've been going to Yoga class again, three mornings a week. This is also helping! :)

chinikfb
10-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Peace....Nice thread!!! I would add to smile more; do something nice for yourself and for someone else; take bubble baths;pray and read devotionals; be around folk who make you happy; talk to someone you have not spoken to in awhile. Need to keep this thread going. Good idea. Blessings....

TNC
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
I have suffered tension headaches and anxiety for years. I hate taking medication so I have learned other ways to manage most of it. I use meds as a last resort. One of the things that works well for me is heat applied to my neck. It doesnt matter if its a tension headache or an anxiety attack most of the time the relaxation of the muscles will work. I have tried a variety of heat packs and the problem with most of them is you have to somehow hold them on your neck making it almost impossable to do anything else.

I have found the perfect heat pack that allowes you to surf PTO and leaves both hands free, do housework, drive a car or anything else that you would do. The pack stays in place on its own.

Its made with rice so its something that you can even make yourself if you have a long sock.

bunnyrun5
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
California Sunshine I just love you all the for this post. I have printed it out and taped it to my office wall and took a copy home so I can get busy with some type of stress management. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

California Sunshine
10-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Bunny thanks :) I hope it helps!!!!!

jubaby
10-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Aren't you just the sweetest thinking about us like this. Thank you. I feel loved.:)

California Sunshine
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Ah Ju I was thinking of you guys and me too because I KNOW how bad stress can be physically and mentally! It's no good :( I'm going through some stuff now and you gals (and guys) on PTO are always here for me so I was just trying to help everyone in this forum any way I could :)

Here is a link to a med website that has other great links and useful info regarding anxiety,stress and depression

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mentalhealthandbehavior.html

chinikfb
10-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Peace...Want to add that when I am stressed as I was earlier this week, I start cleaning. Sounds strange yet it works for me...been known to clean folk right out of my life! Blessings...

Bluesky
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the warm thoughts. I need to do something, lately I've been crying a river.
I get through some bad days but this pass week has been the pits!

I'm going to get busy doing something.

California Sunshine
10-30-2004, 03:20 PM
http://psychologicalselfhelp.org/chap12/chap12k.htm

Good site about venting,getting things off your chest etc.

Ronnie
10-30-2004, 04:29 PM
You take such good care of us here on PTO...it truly is Home Sweet Home!!!

strangeanimal
11-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the links...I'll check them out as well as the suggestions I heard. I noticed with me, I can feel the tension in the back of my neck and it hurts, so I wet my hands in warm/hot water and then rub the back of my neck, same thing if I'm holding a coffee cup, I put my warm hand at the back of my neck.
I really like to look into the rice sock thing to help.

I also started to go and see a chiropractor. I used to do Tai Chi, so maybe I should start doing it again.

j2sq
11-03-2004, 08:19 PM
THANKS!! awesome thread. :yes:

Marchio1948
11-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Thankyou for all your kindness youo have done.

MyRainbow
12-23-2004, 03:39 AM
When I saw this thread on stress, I had to laugh.
(See? Another stress reliever. )A-ha!

Lately, while experiencing stress, (hah!), I find a quiet place, light a candle,
and just talk it out with God. It has really helped me.
Or, I may take a nice relaxing shower--imagining that all the stress is washing
away..down into the drain...
Or, if I feel the need to "talk" to someone, I get on my computer and just
pound away! Then, when I feel that I have truly vented, I hit the delete button
and poof! All stress and frustrations are gone!
Or, if I'm just plain ol' drained,
I'll lie down into a comfy position, get quiet, and imagine relaxing energy
seeping into my body, first with my toes, up my legs, torso, shoulders,neck, and
right on up to the top of my head. As I'm doing this, I'll stop at a certain point,
say, my knees, and say to myself:
"The relaxing energy enters my knees. I'm at peace with myself, the world,
and everything in it.."
If I haven't fallen asleep by then, I sometimes get really imaginative and
try to picture the energy relaxing my bones, muscles, organs, etc.etc.
Usually, I find that I have gone into a deep relaxed state.
And, yes, I have also been known to drift off into a deep sleep--
even if it's for 5-10 minutes!
Afterwards, I feel much better. :-)

So, these are some of the things I do to de-stress!!!

Btw, Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

arriana
02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
YOGA is my stress relief.. and bellydance... they are fun and relaxing...

I also play squash which really lets you get the stress out as you beat up that lil ball...

it is important to find your niche and relax

California Sunshine
03-25-2005, 11:40 AM
During this rough patch in my life that I am going through I have found that reading books helps me to take my mind off of my troubles

Crying,just getting it all out has helped a bit as well

ginaned
05-21-2005, 01:22 AM
wow this is a great thread something very much needed for me this has really helped me alot thank you

Sleepy&Happy
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
HEY THANKS,,,, YOU KNOW THAT I BEEN UNDER ALOT OF STRESS THAT IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE ALL THIS PHYSICAL Symptons AND ACTUALLY FEEL THEM I TRIED EVERYTHING BUT BEFORE I CAN TRY ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TO FIND MY SELF FIRST RE GAIN MY TRUST IN MYSELF AND IM WORKING ON THAT ITS HARD TO DEAL WITH YOUR EVERY DAY LIFE AND KIDS HAVING A LOCKED UP MAN. GOD BLESS US ALL

I thought since this is our forum to vent over our issues that make us sad,mad,depressed,frusturated and so on that we could use a little bit of stress management.I know I sure could! I can only hope some of you get a little use out of this as well :)
I compiled some info from many different online resources for ways to reduce stress and relax the body and mind.With that said here are a few tips.......

Get enough sleep. The more rested you are, the better you will be able to handle stress in your life. Most people need about eight hours of sleep every night to function normally. Some need less than that, others need more. Note how long you sleep when you don't set an alarm clock. If, for example, you go to sleep at 11 p.m. and wake up naturally and feeling well rested at 8 a.m., you probably need at least nine hours every night.

Balance your diet. Make sure your diet includes all the nutrients your body needs to keep you going strong. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit the amount of sugary and fatty foods and soft drinks you consume. Also cut back on caffeine and alcohol if you tend to overindulge in those things.

Exercise. Physical activity is a great stress reliever. Do something that you enjoy, so that it doesn't seem like a chore. It's also good for motivation to include a friend. That could mean playing a sport like tennis, or having a partner to exercise with at the gym or walk or jog with.

Reach out. When you're stressed, sometimes the last thing you want to do is socialize. But being with people and having fun can help you forget your troubles for a while: It's not healthy to dwell on them every minute. It's also good to talk about your problems with someone who cares about you and whom you can trust -- a friend, a family member, a spouse, or even a therapist. and who could forget our very own PTO :)

Relax. In addition to all the above, a few minutes of down time does a lot of good. You've probably heard about relaxation techniques like yoga or electronic biofeedback, but you don't have to do those things if listening to music, knitting, or just staring out the window is your idea of a relaxing break.

How to relax your body :

The systematic muscle relaxation procedure goes as follows.

While sitting quietly and comfortably, slowly inhale and exhale and close your eyes as you do so.
Bend your right hand back at the wrist and briefly hold the tension. Now relax.

Now do the same thing with the left hand. Hold the tension and now relax.

This time tighten both hands into fists and hold the tension. Feel it spread up the arms towards the elbows. Now relax.

Now bend both arms at the elbows and raise your hands up towards your shoulders. Tighten up the muscles in the biceps. Hold it. Now relax.

These three exercises have used the major muscles in the arms and started them relaxing. If you don’t move them around, they will continue to relax becoming more and more relaxed, and you can forget about them

Next, turn your attention to your face. For your forehead raise your eyebrows up a far as you can and hold the tension. Now relax.

For your eyes, squeeze the eyelids tightly together. Hold the tension. Now relax.

For your jaw you just bite down and clamp your teeth together. Feel the tension along the jaw. Now relax. These three exercises have started the face relaxing.

For your neck just bend your head forward as if trying to touch your chin to your chest. Feel the tension along the back of the neck and now relax.

For your shoulders just raise them up as high as you can and notice the tension. Now let them drop all at once and relax.

For your chest you do two things at once. Take a deep breath and hold it while at the same time trying to touch your shoulder blades together by pulling your arms back. Hold it. Now relax.

For your stomach you just pull in as if trying to touch your backbone with stomach. Now relax.

For your back you arch out and away from the chair, and you can feel tension along the spine. Now relax.

With your feet flat on the floor, press down and feel the tension spread up the back of the legs. Now relax.

For the right thigh raise your leg up on front of you and feel the tension build. Now relax.

Now do the same thing with the left leg and relax.

Finally, for your feet bend your toes up as if pointing towards the ceiling and feel the tension around the feet and ankles. Once again, relax

Stress Walk
The next time you have built up a lot of physical tension or are about to enter a difficult situation, take a walk. Walk around your desk at work, up and down stairs, down a hallway, around the block, or back and forth in your living room. A walk — even a short one — can give you a much needed "time out," releasing muscle tension and allowing more oxygen to enter your brain and body. It can be amazingly effective.

"Time-Out" Relaxation
When you are caught up in a difficult situation and need to calm yourself down, try this: First, push yourself away from your desk, or move away from whatever is causing you to be upset. Then, close your eyes, take a deep breath, exhale, and move back again. This brief "time out" can help release your physical and mental tension, providing a diversion that can help you return to the problem with a better mind set.

Other Quick Ways to Relax
Praying, listening to soothing music, or taking a few moments to be alone have also been found to help many people relax. Stretching, closing your eyes and counting to 10, or simply finding something to laugh about may also prove beneficial.
The key is to find the relaxation exercises that you find most effective and then practice them regularly. The end result will be a happier, healthier you!

Ways to relax your mind

Imagery Introduction:
Imagery is a potent method of stress reduction, especially when combined with physical relaxation methods such as deep breathing.

You will be aware of how particular environments can be very relaxing, while others can be intensely stressful. The principle behind the use of imagery in stress reduction is that you can use your imagination to recreate, and enjoy, a situation that is very relaxing. The more intensely you imagine the situation, the more relaxing the experience will be.

Imagery in Relaxation
One common use of imagery in relaxation is to imagine a scene, place or event that you remember as safe, peaceful, restful, beautiful and happy. You can bring all your senses into the image with, for example, sounds of running water and birds, the smell of cut grass, the taste of cool white wine, the warmth of the sun, etc. Use the imagined place as a retreat from stress and pressure.

Scenes can involve complex images such as lying on a beach in a deserted cove. You may “see” cliffs, sea and sand around you, “hear” the waves crashing against rocks, “smell” the salt in the air, and “feel” the warmth of the sun and a gentle breeze on your body. Other images might include looking at a mountain view, swimming in a tropical pool, or whatever you want. You will be able to come up with the most effective images for yourself.

Other uses of imagery in relaxation involve creating mental pictures of stress flowing out of your body, or of stress, distractions and everyday concerns being folded away and locked into a padlocked chest.

Imagery in Preparation and Rehearsal
You can also use imagery in rehearsal before a big event, allowing you to run through the event in your mind.

Aside from allowing you to rehearse mentally, imagery also allows you to practice in advance for anything unusual that might occur, so that you are prepared and already practiced in handling it. This is a technique used very commonly by top sports people, who learn good performance habits by repeatedly rehearsing performances in their imagination. When the unusual eventualities they have rehearsed using imagery occur, they have good, pre-prepared, habitual responses to them.

Imagery also allows you to pre-experience achievement of your goals, helping to give you the self-confidence you need to do something well. This is another technique used by successful athletes

California Sunshine
07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
How To Cheer Yourself Up When You're Down

by Colleen Moulding

Got the colder weather, sour relationshops, no money, poor health, plain ol' down 'n dirty blues? Try some of these strategies to blow away those dark clouds and let the sunshine into your life again.
1) Dance! Put on your favourite music, turn it up loud and dance! This is guaranteed to make you feel good. If you are unable to dance, don't let that stop you having fun - sing at the top of your voice instead.

2) Smile! Force yourself to smile even if you don't feel like it. This tricks your brain into thinking that you are happy. You do want to be happy don't you? Okay then - a great big cheesy grin. After three, one, two, three, - smile :0)

3) Spend time with children. Their natural zest for life is infectious. As well as the pleasures of a spontaneous hug or a chubby little hand in yours, try to take away with you some of their joy in simple things, licking an ice cream, playing with water, tramping through fallen leaves or following a butterfly.

4) Reward yourself. If there is a job that you hate to do, household accounts, home repairs etc. don't keep putting it off so that it is constantly nagging at you. Just get it done. Then reward yourself with whatever you love, a shiny new magazine, a bunch of flowers, a long soak in an aromatic bath, two bars of chocolate or an evening in front of the tv doing absolutely nothing. Or even all of the above if you can afford it. The peace of mind that comes from having got the job done will be the greatest reward of all.

5) Clear out your clutter. The ancient art of Feng Shui believes that getting rid of clutter rids your home or work space of negative stuck energy and allows space for positive energy to surge into all aspects of your life. Whether or not this is correct, it is an undeniable fact that clearing out what you no longer want or need makes life easier. Your home is neater, looks more spacious and is easier to clean. There can also be a tremendous feeling of freedom as you let go of the past and trust in the future to bring you what you will need. Emotional clutter can be even more damaging. We've all said or done things we regret, the trick is to do anything you can to repair the damage and if that is not possible, forgive yourself and toss it out of your life.

6) Take action. If something is worrying you, be it a health problem, or debt or divorce, make that doctor's appointment, get some debt counselling, find out your rights. The reality is often less stressful than sitting alone worrying about it. Try to talk over your problems with a friend, or if that is impossible find a support group on the Internet by typing debt, divorce or whatever into a search engine.

7) Positive thoughts. When you leave the house each morning, say and mean, I'm going to have a great day, it's going to be lots of fun, rather than thinking Oh no, another dreary day at the office to get through. The first attitude will attract good vibrations and positive fun people to you, the second will ensure a depressing day.

8) Have more fun. Apparently children laugh approximately 400 times a day yet adults laugh only about 20 times a day. When do we lose our sense of fun? Claim it back. Play games, watch comedies, have daily jokes delivered to your mailbox or throw a fancy dress party.

9) Make something. Being creative gives you such a buzz you won't stay down in the dumps for long. Stencil a room, make a cake, plan a garden, sketch or paint a picture. Express yourself with a modern collage, change your rooms around, display your collections or start a patchwork quilt.

10) Keep a gratitude journal. Write down half a dozen things every day that you are grateful for, from waking up and seeing your children's beautiful little faces to the smell of the roses in the local park. This cannot fail to cheer you up if you do it regularly as it gives you a whole new way of experiencing your life.

11) Start a new project. Learn a language, trace your family history, redecorate your home, learn to ride a horse, gain a new qualification, take music lessons, learn to make your own soft furnishings or do your own auto repairs. Visualize yourself successfully completing the project and the benefits it will bring to your life. Then make a start and follow it through to the end. An added bonus will be the increased self esteem that comes from having planned, problem solved and perfected the whole project yourself.

12) See your old friends. It's easy to get into a work, family, housework, shopping, sleep and back to work again routine that leaves you no time at all to be the person you once were. The funny, up for a laugh, outgoing young woman you used to be. Spending time with friends who knew the old you seems to resurrect that side of your character. You will come away feeling younger, more positive and more excited by life than you were before you met up. Go on, invite them over to share a pizza and catch up on each other's lives.

13) Paint or accessorize a room that you spend a lot of time in a lovely bright yellow. The colour of sunshine will lift your spirit and bring positive vibrations. We subconciously know about the effects of colour on our emotions which is why we talk about the future looking rosy or having the blues.

14) Take the happiness option. You have the choice whether to spend this day, which you will never live through again, in a state of happiness or unhappiness. Choose to spend it as happily as you possibly can.

California Sunshine
08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
All-Natural Stress Busters

By Theresa Tamkins

These tips will help you reduce the stress in your life -- no herbal supplements or medications necessary.

1. Religion
Some studies have suggested that people who use "religious coping" -- seeking God's help, finding comfort in religion -- have lower blood pressure than those who use alternate stress relievers. The simple act of praying for stress relief might be enough to achieve your goal.

2. Forgive Someone
A recent study found that those people with a propensity to forgive others tended to have -- you guessed it: lower blood pressure than their less-forgiving peers. Isn't it time you gave up that grudge, if only to gain the health benefits?

3. Sleep
About 60 percent of people who are stressed say they don't get enough sleep, according to a National Consumers League survey. If falling asleep is your trouble, it's time to start a calming bedtime routine. Start with a soothing shower and some lavender body wash. Then slip between the covers with a light novel and you'll be asleep in no time.

4. Vacation
Can't find the time or money to plan a lounge on the beach for a week? A vacation can be as simple as a quick weekend trip, or a special event near home. All that's necessary is that you spend an extended period of time not thinking about those things -- work, money, relationships -- that are making you crazy.

5. Yoga
Even one yoga class can cut levels of the stress hormone cortisol -- reason enough to get you down-dogging with the best of them. Taking a yoga class at a local gym is sure to offer you a rejuvenating workout. Or if simple relaxation is what you really need, find a yoga class that specializes in low-key hatha yoga.

6. Bubble Bath
Lock the door, work up a lather, and forget the world exists. Add a few candles -- sage is a soothing scent, or try sandalwood incense -- and maybe a good book or some classical music, and you'll be well on your way to forgetting your horrific commute.

7. Lighten Your Workload
Talk to your boss, delegate tasks, or start looking for a new job. If work is making you crazy, you're not alone. Work is the top source of stress in adults aged 18-54, according to the National Consumers League survey. Forty-six percent say it's a problem.

While you're searching for a less stressful job, find some ways to unwind after work. Sit quietly for 10 minutes before you start your evening. Play a favorite CD while fixing dinner. Or delegate your home chores so you can relax on weeknights instead of slaving over laundry.

8. Cup of Tea
Whether it's chamomile or chai, try to take time, relax, and put your feet up when enjoying your favorite brew. In the warmer months you can chill a pot of freshly brewed green tea for a calming and cooling treat.

9. Biofeedback
There are many different types of biofeedback, all aimed at turning you into a warm puddle of relaxed goo. Talk to a health professional about these techniques in which sensors are used to measure your temperature, muscle tension, or heart rate and translate them into lights or sounds. Or for a different sensation, ask your partner to give you a massage, or splurge on an appointment at your local spa.

mrschris
09-05-2005, 05:40 PM
here are some things that i do to pass time by (in addition to helping me relax)

i read, read, and read! i read romance novels and childrens stories. i told another poster, once i got off the phone with hubby, started reading a novel, and suddenly the phone rang. when i looked up, it was 8 am and my hubby was calling me again! the time flies by when you read a good book.

i stay around my family and friends. i notice that when i stay home by myself, i tend to get a little depressed and self centered. whenever i'm with my family, again, hours will pass and by the time i get home, i'm so sleepy i fall right out. wake up and bam! another day passed :)

i watch movies. at 2-3 hours a pop, they can really help pass the time, and give you something to think about. if something was especially interesting, i'll write to hubby about it. it gives our letters somewhat of a conversational appeal to them as well as romantic.

i write to hubby journal style. some people come to me and ask, "how do you always have so much to say?" it's because i write to chris just like i would speak to him. we write to each other about everything, the hurricane disaster, movies, music, business ideas, school, everything. i tell people that sometimes their worst mistake is that all they talk about is love. it's good to let hubby know you love him, but after about 50 letters...it gets a little dull. we have a romantic/love component to each and every letter we write, but we also talk about worldly things. before ya know it...you'll have a 5 or 6 page letter, and still a ton more to say. ive noticed ive run out of energy before ive run out of words! and at 1-2 letters a day...hubby will always have something to read, youll always have something to write, and time will moooovvveeeeeeeee on along.

laugh alot. hubby and i often get jet lag. i'll wake up and say, "babe...it's wednesday already?" and he'll be like, "baby, you must want me to stay here longer, because it's friday!" and i'm like wow...2 more days down! so we have a good laugh, and something great to look forward to.

take hubby with you places. we do this by forwarding the home telephone calls to my cell phone. i'll answer the phone in the middle of the mall, and viola! hubby is "there" with me on a collect call from the jail. he feels like he's getting "out" so to speak, and i can enjoy hubby's voice while i do some of my favorite things: shop, have lunch, or get my nails/hair done!

do a project to help pass by large amounts of time**** i put stars next to this one because this is killing 4 birds with one stone. time passes by, you have something else to concentrate on besides the prison sentence, AND you better yourself (and hubby) in the making. a 4th thing that comes out of it is that other people are helped. i'm going back to school for my masters degree. by the time hubby comes home, we'll be one degree smarter and one degree richer. that's a 2 year project, and it will pass 2 years worth of our time. by that time, my baby ought to be home on weekends via program, or even on ISP. you can pick a ton of things to do. my friend decided to go to nursing school. other people start art projects to pass time. some people redecorate their homes. some volunteer somewhere. i wanted to volunteer at my local pet shelter for 4 hours a day. but then i found out about the baby, so that has to go on hold. then i decided to go to school. so spend a few days thinking about something really long term or serious that you can do...and go for it!

i hope this list helps some other people, i know i do all of the above things personally, and me and hubby are both better for it. he's more comfortable knowing the things i do to keep busy, and he's happy that i'm not always down, and he knows where i am all the time. and the time flies by for me some days. it's not a foolproof way of passing time, but 4 fast days versus 3 slow days is better than 7 slow days a week!

mlv
10-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I have a son, who has been in prison for the last 15 years,and this past March, he was given another setoff !!
I was upset about this to say the least, but, a month after this setoff, I started waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety attacks !! I had never had them up to this point !!
The last thing I wanted to do was go to the doctor and be given a bottle of pills, so I took matters into my own hands.....at the age of 66 years young, I decided to take up running !! I have walked and cycled all my life, but running was new to me, I had read, where it really can help anxiety, how right they were !!
I started walking for ten minutes, and then run for 10-20 seconds, set your self up for success,and if you start huffing and puffing, you are running too hard. Just start walking and then run for 20-30 seconds, and before you know it, you will be running longer distances....
Here is a great website...www.jeffgalloway.com (http://www.jeffgalloway.com)
I got brave enough to enter some races, and won my age division, this was very encouraging, I then went on and ran my first half-marathon , in Choteau, Montana, this past August...www.grizzlymarathon.com (http://www.grizzlymarathon.com)....
I have conqured my attacks, and I can thank my running , walking and cycling for the relief, without the pills....I run three times a week and walk four to eight miles, everyother day....:thumbsup:
Believe me, if I can do it...you can do it !!:D
ML

izellahbian
11-25-2005, 08:01 PM
This is great! I love the stretches I feel a million times better. I'm putting this page into my favorites so I always have a way to relieve stress.

JAM29
12-16-2005, 10:03 AM
i have incorperated alot of these ideas already and try to continue to find new stress relevers. but i have 2 that work the most or more which i use because of my ex-wife. the main one i use is try to stay busy.

California Sunshine
01-01-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Keys to Happiness
Posted by Deepak Chopra, M.D.

Physical well being is inseparable from emotional well being. Happy people are healthy people. The wisdom traditions of the world tell us that happiness does not depend on what you have, but on who you are. As we begin the new year, it may be worthwhile to reflect on what really creates happiness in us. The following ten keys, gleaned from the wisdom traditions, may give us some insight.

Listen to your body’s wisdom, which expresses itself through signals of comfort and discomfort. When choosing a certain behavior, ask your body, “How do you feel about this?” If your body sends a signal of physical or emotional distress, watch out. If your body sends a signal of comfort and eagerness, proceed.

Live in the present, for it is the only moment you have. Keep your attention on what is here and now; look for the fullness in every moment. Accept what comes to you totally and completely so that you can appreciate it, learn from it, and then let it go. The present is as it should be. It reflects infinite laws of Nature that have brought you this exact thought, this exact physical response. This moment is as it is because the universe is as it is. Don’t struggle against the infinite scheme of things; instead, be at one with it.

The rest here,good read http://blogs.health.yahoo.com/get-healthy-now/ghn06health/37/10-keys-to-happiness

California Sunshine
01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
SAD - Real and Treatable

Many women experience occasional periods of the "winter blues." However, when the "winter blues" are more than occasional and seem to happen over and over again during the Fall and Winter and not in the Spring or Summer, you may have seasonal affective disorder or SAD. This disorder affects an estimated 35 million Americans to varying degrees. Of these, at least 10 million experience a serious disruption in their lives due to seasonal affective disorder. Did you know that those most likely to be affected by SAD include children, adolescents, and women? In fact, 75 to 80 percent of those who suffer from seasonal affective disorder are women; the majority of women affected by SAD are over age 30.

Symptoms of SAD
The most common symptoms of seasonal affective disorder include:

Lack of energy including increased fatigue, an increased need for sleep, and lethargy.

Increased appetite, possible weight gain, and increased cravings for sugar and carbs.

Withdrawal from friends and family, relationship problems, loss of libido, and anxiety.

Problems with focusing or concentrating on various types of tasks or work.

An increase in the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome or PMS, or premenstrual dysphoric disorder which is also called PMDD.

Seasonal depression during Fall and Winter.

If you experience severe depression with SAD, it's imperative that you receive an evaluation of your symptoms so that a proper diagnosis is made. While the symptoms of major depression are consistent from morning to night, the severity of the symptoms of SAD, such as depression and fatigue, increase throughout the day.

More here http://womenshealth.about.com/od/fitnessandmentalhealth/a/sssssssssss.htm

California Sunshine
01-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Top 10 Stress Relievers: The Best Ways To Feel Better
http://stress.about.com/od/generaltechniques/tp/toptensionacts.htm

hvymetalcowboy
01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I have the good fortune of getting a little depressed during the winter months as well.I learned that about myself years ago so I try to watch myself during these months and do what I need to do to combat it.When things get too crazy I need to distract my thoughts for a while,just shut my brain down and recharge.During those times I like to put the head phones on and drown myself in some good old Iron Maiden,Ozzy,Metalica and just block out the world and clear my mind.If all else fails,my boys and I run to the hills and spend a week or three camping in very remote places by ourselves.That always works! Cowboy-n-sons

California Sunshine
01-27-2006, 10:00 AM
How To Relax at Your Desk

1. Sit up straight with your back against the back of your chair, your feet flat on the floor, and your hands resting lightly on your thighs.

2. If possible, close your eyes. You may do the exercise without closing your eyes, but closing your eyes will help you relax a bit more. Do not clench your eyes shut. Let your eyelids fall naturally.

3. Breathe in slowly through your nose, counting to 5. Hold the breath for a count of 5. Breathe out slowly, counting to five. Repeat.

4. This exercise is performed by tensing and holding a set of muscles for a count of 5, and then relaxing the set of muscles for a count of 5.

5. When you tense each muscle set, do it as hard as you can without hurting yourself. When you release the hold, be as relaxed as possible.

Full article and tips here http://panicdisorder.about.com/cs/shrelaxation/ht/relaxdesk.htm

California Sunshine
01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Top Five Changes for a Low-Stress Lifestyle

Maintain An Organized Living Space: A cluttered environment can literally drain your energy and cause additional stress! Conversely, a beautifully decorated, soothing environment can be a haven where you can escape from the stressors in your life. Working on de-cluttering your home, getting organized about cleaning, or even practicing Feng Shui are all ways you can work toward the goal of having a beautiful and organized living space.

The rest here http://stress.about.com/od/lowstresslifestyle/a/lowstresslife.htm

NENAZ
01-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks Lady, I'm seriously thinking about that massage!

California Sunshine
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks Lady, I'm seriously thinking about that massage!

Ahhhhhhhh yes! Massages to me are heaven and very relaxing!! Too bad I don't have the money to get one at least 1x per week LOL

Michigal
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Since laughter is the best medicine...here are some ways to know if you're too stressed:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE STRESSED IF...

:banghead: Relatives that have been dead for years come visit you and suggest that you should get some rest.
:banghead: You say the same sentence over and over again, not realizing that you have said it before.
:banghead: The Sun is too loud.
:banghead: Trees begin chasing you.
:banghead: You wonder if brewing is really a necessary step for the consumption of coffee.
:banghead: You can hear mimes.
:banghead: You believe that if you think hard enough, you can fly.
:banghead: You ask the drive-thru attendant if you can get your order to go.
:banghead: You say the same sentence over and over again, not realizing that you have said it before.
:banghead: You keep yelling "STOP TOUCHING ME!!!" even though you are the only one in the room
:banghead: Antacid tablets become your sole source of nutrition.
:banghead: You have an irresistible urge to bite the noses of the people you are talking to.
:banghead: Losing your mind was okay, but when the voices in your head quieted, it was like losing your best friend.
:banghead: You can achieve a "Runner's High" by sitting up.
:banghead: You can see individual air molecules vibrating.
:banghead: It appears that people are speaking to you in binary code.
:banghead: You listen to your relaxation tapes on high speed.
:banghead: You use your cell-phone to call your voice-mail while driving to work to remind yourself of tasks to do during the day.
:banghead:Your e-mail notification tune is Taps.
:banghead: You call the Time & Weather because that lady "really understands you."
:banghead: You take the "Don't Walk" sign personally.
:banghead: Your pager is set to "stun."

MrsForeverMine
03-26-2006, 12:52 AM
I started taking Stress B-Complex by Nature Made and started back walking down at the beach at least 3 times a week. It is working I am feeling alot better already.

CM_ANGEL_2000
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
These are great-Thanks!!

pam.patton
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
What an awesome thread. I feel so much better after taking your suggestions. :thumbsup:

CopingDaily
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Let us not forget the power of CHOCOLATE!

bookieworm2000
08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Great post California Sunshine Thank you so much

bookieworm2000
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Michigal loved it all!!!

TNC
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I recently had a couple massages and I must say it was the best money I have spent in a long time. The first one I got did hurt a little because I was so tense, but as soon as I left I instantly felt a differance. For me it reminded me of driving a car that is pretty easy to steer then getting into a car that has such power steering you can turn with a single pinky. If not careful you can over correct in cars like those. Well thats how I felt when I left the clinic the first day. I went to turn my head to look into trafic and was amazed at how free flowing it was.

I opted to go back a few weeks later and get another one because I was so tense I knew it would take a couple treatments, but I must say one massage does go a long ways

*dougs-blinky*
08-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks ...sunshine we sure are thankful.:idea: great idea!

rooby
08-12-2006, 02:37 AM
:clap: Sunshine and everyone else thanks so much :clap:
somedays it can just seem like a fog of frustration-stress-sorrow rolling in and this thread was just what i needed to come across today... Thanks

fireflyzone
08-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the relaxation information. I haven't been able to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time for months. I just keep seeing my guy on his bunk using his coat for a pillow. I guess pillows are not given out at Richland correctional in ohio. Is he warm, hungry, scared, lonely, suicidal, physically hurt in some way. I saw one of his friends picture on the prisoner directory and he looked like someone beat him up. All the secrecy about what happens in prison worries me so much. Thanks for listening.

rockys babygirl
08-25-2006, 02:08 AM
what helps me is a good workout,add a kick boxing class, all my stress comes out. I also take my horse on a long trail ride in the moutains and listen to nature.

marchtwenty3
09-09-2006, 10:23 PM
THANKS california Sunshine!!! This is great for all of us to read & put into practice! Bless you!

catcat73
09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
u the best am going to try n see the results i will get back to u

Brian Rooney
12-18-2006, 10:39 AM
working out is a great way to reduce stress and it is good for you. I like listening to music too, or blog, or read a good book...

raerae
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
What works for me is:
Massage-there are massage schools where you can get a student to work on you for a cheaper price, my favorite is shiatsu.
Being out in nature-the further away from everything, the better.
My favorite is going to the beach, I bring something to read, food (sometimes a grill) and I spend the whole day. The combination of swimming, the sounds of water, and the warm sunshine and feeling of sand on my feet and happy people and kids and dogs running around just puts me in a good mood. Afterwords, I always sleep really well.
A hot bath and getting into bed with a book.
Sex of course is a great de-stresser.

Also make sure you drink enough water and take vitamins.

redhaired_dolly
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
One thing I can say about all this stress is that I'm getting in some great work outs! It's important to drink lots of water and get plenty of rest, though, too.

melissak
06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I've decided to start a whole bunch of home improvement projects so our (my) place is beautiful when he comes home. This is the first time I have ever lived alone but when he comes back, he's staying with me. So even though all of his stuff is in boxes for the most part, I write him and tell him about the next project...

So far - i am going to reupholster the couch (which is HIS but he's had it for 10 years and said I can do what I want) and paint the walls with a fresco kind of design. I've been thrift store shopping and found a lot of cool, cheap things. He has a love of nice things, so even though I can't afford new things, fixing up the old is a great way for me to focus on the future. (And maybe kind of symbolic, too...)

Plus when we talk about it he says cute stuff like, "If I was there, i would sleep on that new rug you bought...And I would put stuff on the new coffee table" So it gives us something new to look forward to.

shyshy24
07-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I think we all need that once in a while to remind ourselves we need to relax. I know I do. I miss my finace way too much and sometimes it bothers me and gets me all tense. So thanks

HyPhY'z NeNa
09-15-2007, 02:06 AM
i really needed this! thanks this really helped!

dancinggal
09-30-2007, 06:20 AM
I have basically 3 ways of dealing with stress and it depends on what time of day it is to choose which one I use.
If it's daytime and my gym is open, I get on the squash or tennis court and smack the living bejesus out of that little ball. If I'm lucky I can find a partner who is at a higher level than myself who will make me run around the court and sweat it out.
If it's after hours, I will turn out the lights, get the candles going, have some "spa" music playing and just sit in the middle of the room and focus on my breathing. This worked much better at my old house though where I had a gas fireplace that I could just stare at for hours.
The third way is if the kids are at home and I can't get away. I just start cleaning! Vaccuuming, scrubbing the kitchen floor, cleaning the windows...top to bottom the house gets done!

Angel.l
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Yoga

FLRebel
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
ON one hand I would love to reduce stress levels and relax a bit... but on the other hand I think the stress is what keeps me going right now!

howiewonderstud
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I pick up paper, scissors and glue and work on a collage-
it doesn't have to be good or artsy- i just work on being creative
OR
I spend a couple of hours baking in the kitchen (pie or cookies)
OR
I paint- whatever i feel like painting with, I pick it up and get to it...

LovingSoul4u2
12-21-2007, 11:43 PM

By Theresa Tamkins

These tips will help you reduce the stress in your life -- no herbal supplements or medications necessary.

1. Religion
Some studies have suggested that people who use "religious coping" -- seeking God's help, finding comfort in religion -- have lower blood pressure than those who use alternate stress relievers. The simple act of praying for stress relief might be enough to achieve your goal.

6. Bubble Bath
Lock the door, work up a lather, and forget the world exists. Add a few candles -- sage is a soothing scent, or try sandalwood incense -- and maybe a good book or some classical music, and you'll be well on your way to forgetting your horrific commute.

Always knew the 1st on the list was a "stress-buster" and in my heart I knew number 6 was my 2nd "stress-buster". So glad it's official! I LOVE BUBBLE BATHS!!!!!!! :D :D ;)

The Fox
01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I usually drive around or just sit in my room in total silence and close my eyes and take deep breaths it helps most of the time. But if I'm really stressed I clean for hours on in.

PTO-92958
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM

6. Bubble Bath

Ahhhhhh...yesss.
Been doing quite alot of this lately! ;)
I've listened to classical, as long as I can remember, to de-stress, de-escalate, and re-evaluate.
And as for the aroma-therapy piece...I enjoy the scent of amber...I find that to be very calming, yet rich, aromatic, and erotic. Yeah, sandalwood is like that too, but alot of people aren't familiar with the scent of amber...I highly recommend it! :thumbsup: Another is lavendar. :cool:
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Cali, you take good care of us in here! :D
I hope you're feeling well and as stress-free as possible yourself. :p

LORNA
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
If it is raining (like it is now), just sitting in the rain for a little bit. Not only does it help me to de-stress, but I observe. I take time to notice my surroundings. I come away with a clearer mind.

VanillaSky
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM

These are the 2 things I need to pay attention to. I havent been taking very good care of myself the last month, not getting any sleep and hardly eating at all. Im pretty sure thats why im sick right now.

Ive gotten alot of great ideas from this thread!! thanks!!

MissinMyBaby8
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks!!! I needed that!!!

kissmeinheaven
03-28-2008, 04:59 PM
i have a question for everyone my boyfriend left 2 weeks ago and i have not went out or hung out with friends i dont wanna really drink cause it will make me sad my friends are litterally dragging me out on sat. and say i cant just sit around not do anything and just wait for him ....but i will feel guilty going out and also i want to be honest with him and i dont want to worry him that im going to meet anyone else .......what should i do please lend some advice?????

DOCSux1
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Simply tell him the truth like you just told us here. He wouldnt want you to stay home alone, getting depressed night after night. Its natural in the beginning to feel guilty because he is locked up, and not with you out having a good time, and I cant say those feelings totally go away, but they become more like "I wish he was here to see this"...

DOCSux1
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for posting those destressors. I have Fibromyalgia and my flareups alot of times are triggered by stress, and due to pain in my back, i havent been able to go to the gym like I used to.

One thing that I found that helped me, not the healthiest thing by some to do, but I started tanning about 10 months ago, and found that it helped alot. Apparently the lights are good for depression, and help alot.

verysadmom07
09-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Sunshine I want to tell you thank you for your tips on destressing and relaxing. I have a hard time doing both but I took your steps and feel better. I am going to work on this as much as possible. Thanks to each and everyone of you.

RJs_BabyGirl
09-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks I'm going to do this after my nightly workout!

Chynab
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the much needed info.

BJ'sWife0718
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
i write to hubby journal style.
This cracked me up! I do the same thing. I have a friend who's husband is in as well and she said after the first year they were down to a couple of letters a month! I thought NO WAY!!!! I can't imagine that. If I wait till I get a phone call or visit I often am so exited about hearing his vioce that I forget to tell him everything that's goin on in life. I write to him almost every day on my lunch and just tell him everything that's happened and how I feel about it. At first I though he doesn't want to hear this crap...but they DO! It gives him a sence of being able to still live life with me and know whats really going on instead of the standard "love you, miss you". It really helps us feel connected better and it is a huge stress reliefe cuz I am definetly a Venter, as my hubby well knows, so I get the relief of lettin it all out to him.

A coupple of my other fav stress reliefs are:

Wine & Chocolate: No, I'm not an alcoholic, but you'd be suprised what a glass of good wine and a piece of yummy dark chocolate can do to lower your blood pressure....**Disclaimer- if you choose this route, focus only on that, don't do homework or dishes, or even laundrey, just sit down on the couch, or on your front porch and sip, bite, relax.....

Yoga: I personally HATE to excersise, but yoga is so easy, and it makes you feel so much better.

Sit outside: Just sit outside (preferably early in the morning or late at night) and just look and listen, watch the sun come up or gaze at some stars. Listen to the breeze rustle the leaves of your tree, hear the birds, dogs barking down the street, kids playing. It's truly awsome to just take a time out and absorb the world without thinking about everything else you have to deal with....if you close you eyes and imagine your man is sitting next to you it works even better.:thumbsup:

Sincerelyciara
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
ah man stress has been driving me nuts, i couldnt pick up my boyfriends call yesterday because i didnt have an account with the telephon service. i cried an ocean, ive just been worried about him and i really wanted to hear from him.

hopefully he'll call today

LeissaC
03-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks, i will definately try these, i sure do need that, i am stressed out, and unfortunately take it out on the ones i love.
ty and im so glad i found this site!!!!!! its awesome

RightNaNaNa
03-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Yoga: I personally HATE to excersise, but yoga is so easy, and it makes you feel so much better.

I love Yoga, it makes me feel so good, I practice everynight and it helps me sleep. Its neat how it also can be an energy booster too, sometimes I feel so good afterward I wash bottles, finish laundry and do school work before bed, when before I was really exausted.

I also did tried this the other day, great when you are depressed too! I sat down and wrote a 100 things I love, it could be anything, fav. foods, things to do, what your man does for you ect. listen to some relaxing music while you write.

JUSTINSLOVE1024
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
this sight has been a total GOD SEND TO ME ESPECIALLY LATLEY!I have not heard from my love in about a week....take care ladies!

Sunshine129
01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow this was some great advice, I will definitely use it

missMBC
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
really helpful...i think tomorrow i will expand and share what i have learned as well...:-D thanks for the hard work and time u took to post that...

xoox
missMBC

LMR08
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
ur..welcum...iny..time.no..problem....god bless...

levoismartin
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Here are some best ways to reduce stress;
Go for walk;
Go for weight;
Meditate everyday;
Try something new;
Go for family vacation.