10-19-2004, 08:34 PM
South Florida Reception Center, South Unit
o P. O. Box 02-8538
14000 NW 41st Street
Miami, Florida 33102-8538
o (305) 592-9567
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region4/403.html
o FAX: (305) 470-5628
o E-Mail: sfrc@mail.dc.state.fl.us (sfrc@mail.dc.state.fl.us)
o Chaplain's Office - (305) 592-9567 Directions: Take Turnpike south, exit 41st Street, right at light and facility is about two miles on left. Or, take SR-826 (Palmetto Expressway), exit 36th Street West (which becomes 41st Street) and facility is about five miles on left.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1991 to house adult male inmates. It was closed due to lack of bed utilization but was reopened August 15, 2002. SFRC-South is under the supervision of SFRC-Main.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 172

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units - 7
Cell Housing Units - 0
Room Housing Units - 0
Total Capacity - 889
Other Information:
Population Gender - Male
Adult or Youthful - Adult
Special Accomodations - Elderly (59+)
Facility Level - 4
Self Contained Housing Units - No
Designated Confinement Space - Yes
Custody Grades - Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades -1 through 3
Psychological Grades -1 and 2
Wheelchair Capabilities - No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities - No
Academic Programs:
None at this time. Vocational Programs:
None at this time. Wellness Education Services:
Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education Library Services:
Library Program
Major Law Collection Substance Abuse Programs:
Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous
Screening Assessment Center
Chaplaincy Services:
Chapel Library Program
Prison Fellowship Monthly
Religious Education
T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
Kairos Week-ends
Worship Services Institutional Betterment Programs:
None at this time. Other Ongoing Programs:
Band Program
Transition Skills Program
P.R.I.D.E. Programs:
None at this time.

Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation - 0 Squads
Public Work Squads - 0 Squads
Interagency Community Service Work Squads - No
Contracted Work Suad - 0 Squads

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33ís, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and donít pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Ė Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

scottysbaby
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
visitiation is sat & sun 9 to 3. typical dress code. no tank tops, shorty shorts etc. can bring in $50.00 per person. dress kids conservatively due to sexual offenders and child preditors being present. once you register with a photo id you get an id # and are hand scanned at each visitation. very nice visitation park. could use more to do for the kids. they do have cards, games., puzzles, dominoes, etc. food is typical comissary. all microwaveable. pictures are 2.00 each and worth it. i miss him sooooooo much

Debbie Tierney
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM
My brother is doing life and is trying to get transferred to the South Florida Reception Center South where they take only inmates 59 and over. Does anyone kow anything about this facility? Where he is now they make everyone work regardless of their age or disabilities. Does this place make everyone work? Is the food decent? The indoor climate? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Debbie

ben's girl
07-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Welcome to PTO! Glad you found us :)

SFRC doesn't just take inmates over age 59 as they are a reception center and they also have inmate that reside there permanently. The DOC website for SRFC does state they have special accomodations for inmate 59+. I'm not sure what those accomodations would be but you could call Classification at the facility and ask. There is also another facility specifically for inmates 50+ (or there was) but I can't seem to find which one it is. If I come across it I will let you know.

msmack1961
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I believe there is SFRC and SFRC South Unit. I believe the South Unit is for the elderly and ill offenders. My friend passed in prison and right before he passed, he was sent to the SFRC South Unit. I'm not 100% sure but I think to get to the South Unit you must be elderly or have some sort of health problem. The main unit is the reception area and is basically for processing offenders to other institutions although there are a few permanent offenders at South Florida.

Debbie Tierney
07-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for the help on this. I'm hoping to find someone who actually has a loved on in the South Florida Reception Center South (not the processing center, which I think is called "Main" but the prison they are in charge of across the street. Debbie

crazy2010
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
They have the 50 and over in the main unit. Yes sfrc is a trans prison But they are currently housing inmates 50 and over the food sucks, but they really don't have to many problems with the older inmates. They are currently rebuilding a medical dorm supposed, to be very nice a/c 8 phones the works as far as prison goes. They also have a mental facility don't know what thats like. My BF is at the main but he's buddy's with a whole lot of peeps in the south unit I ask him when he calls, I know the food is better at the south unit.

Chaiful
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
There are several different dorms at SFRC-South and the majority of those living there are over 50. There is one dorm where only those younger reside, which is where my contact lives. He does not like the food, but he hasn't experienced any other prison food to compare. He doesn't complain about the facility and hasn't asked for a transfer. It is hot there now and they only have fans, no a/c. There are a few of the 50+ men that recently received a puppy and are in the process of training them, etc. It's a new program and sounded positive to me. I believe the whole camp comes together for dining, so they get to see each other at that time unless they aren't able to get to the dining hall. Let me know if there is something more specific you would like me to ask. Good Luck.

ben's girl
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
In searching for some other information I found this on the DOC website:

Are there facilities for elderly inmates?
Yes, as medical conditions warrant, inmates may be moved to specific facilities for services related to elderly or palliative care. Some general, but not all, eligibility criteria are below:

River Junction Work Camp (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/../../facilities/region1/116.html)
-50 + years of ageMedium, minimum, community custody;
-No escape history;
-No life sentence (parole release date is within 10 years);
-No violent offense detainer;
-No immigration hold/detainer;
-No sex offense;
-No homicide offense

South Florida Reception Center - South Unit (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/../../facilities/region4/403.html)
-59+ years of age Good Adjustment;
-All Custodies;
-No serious escape history;
-No recent violent disciplinary reports

Union C.I. (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/../../facilities/region2/213.html)
-50+ years of age Good adjustment;
-Close custody;

Zephyrhills C.I. (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/../../facilities/region3/573.html)
-59+ years of age Good Adjustment;
-All custodies;

babydoval
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
My son was just transfer to South Florida Reception Center (SFRC), South Unit, I talked to him yesterday and he sound good...Any comments on this facility.
I just mail the visitation forms and hope to see him soon God willing...

alwayshim
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Its supposedly an ok place its right next to the main unit. If he is minimum custody thats usually where they go they have it way better there then at the main unit. I see your in miami, it 2 miles west of the turnpike right by metro west detention center. Its as good as prison gets I think. How old is your son?

babydoval
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Its supposedly an ok place its right next to the main unit. If he is minimum custody thats usually where they go they have it way better there then at the main unit. I see your in miami, it 2 miles west of the turnpike right by metro west detention center. Its as good as prison gets I think. How old is your son?

My son is 42 and this is the first time he in prison or jail. He is in for a DUI manslaughter 6 years. The custody shows minimum and I hope he can work soon. He was transfer two day ago. I am so scare but at the same time thankful that he is not drinking anymore. thanks for replying...

alwayshim
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I asked my husband how it is there and he works for the guy on the tool cart who goes back and forth he said its pretty good. I know its hard but hopefully he'll do really good there. I have a friend who's son was there not sure if he still is first time offender 28 for (possesion w/intent to distribute oxycodne they were his own pills first time offender) he is doing 7 years he was at sfrc main they lowered his custody and moved him to the south unit. He see's my husband pretty often as they are moved around in maintance alot. He seems to be doing great! I wish I could tell you more but if I do I'll let you know. I hope you can visit and see for yourself.

Chaiful
02-02-2011, 06:44 AM
My son was just transfer to South Florida Reception Center (SFRC), South Unit, I talked to him yesterday and he sound good...Any comments on this facility.
I just mail the visitation forms and hope to see him soon God willing...

I hope you get to see him soon. It's a new experience to sign in for visitation the first time, but I found the CO's helpful and pleasant.

babydoval
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
I asked my husband how it is there and he works for the guy on the tool cart who goes back and forth he said its pretty good. I know its hard but hopefully he'll do really good there. I have a friend who's son was there not sure if he still is first time offender 28 for (possesion w/intent to distribute oxycodne they were his own pills first time offender) he is doing 7 years he was at sfrc main they lowered his custody and moved him to the south unit. He see's my husband pretty often as they are moved around in maintance alot. He seems to be doing great! I wish I could tell you more but if I do I'll let you know. I hope you can visit and see for yourself.

Got the visitation approve and will go see my son this coming Saturday, eally excited about it.

geogy06
01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have a LO in South Florida Reception Center who can send a message to my bf

pbnj420
02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know how to send money to inmate at SFRC. When he was in county we could use govpaynet. Can we still use that.

geogy06
02-16-2013, 04:41 PM
No now you have to use jpay (jpay.com) to send money

Anjewel
03-12-2013, 12:27 AM
You can also send by Western Union (http://www.westernunion.com/Home), Jpay.com (http://jpay.com/LandingPage.aspx?AgencyID=55)or Money Gram (https://www.moneygram.com/MGIRewards/Change/index.htm?CC=EN). WU is located at most any Publix or Winn Dixie and MoneyGram is at all Walmart's. Or, click on the links for other ways to send through these companies.

And, a money order, but you need a payment slip to send a money order. And, these can't be downloaded or copied, you have to call to get them. See the link here about Trust Fund Deposit Slips (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/Facilities/info/deposit.html).

Check out this link before sending any money.... FAQs About Inmate Funds (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/funds.html#1).