Calhoun Correctional Institution
o 19562 SE Inst. Drive
Blountstown, Florida 32424
o (850) 237-6500
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/105.html
o FAX: (850) 237-6508
o E-Mail: calhounci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (850) 237-6580
Directions: From I-10 take Exit 152 (SR-69 South) approximately 20 miles and enter city limits of Blountstown. Hwy-69 will intersect with Hwy-71. Take Hwy-71 south through the city of Blountstown. Upon departing city limits take 69A to the left. Institution is approximately 2 miles down 69A on the right.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1988 and houses adult male inmates. Calhoun Work Camp is under supervision of Calhoun C.I.

Total Staff (on 7/11): 333

Open Bay Housing Units 8

Cell Housing Units 1

Room Housing Units 0

Maximum Capacity 1,354

Population Gender Male

Adult or Youthful Adult

Facility Level 4

Self Contained Housing Units Yes

Designated Confinement Space Yes

Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community

Medical Grades 1 through 3

Psychological Grades 1 through 2

Wheelchair Capabilities No

Hearing Impaired Capabilities No

Academic Programs:
• Adult Basic Education
• General Educational Development (GED)

Vocational Programs:
•Printing/Graphic Arts/Web Design Services

Substance Abuse Programs:
•None at this time

Chaplaincy Services:
•Worship Services
•Religious Holiday Observances
•Religious Education Classes
•Chapel Library
•Life-Skill Seminars
•Re-Entry Workshop
•Recovery Group

Institutional Betterment Programs:
• 100-Hour Transition Program
• 63-hour Wellness Education Course
• Active and Passive Sports
• Anger & Stress Management
• Freshstart Smoking Cessation Program
• Law Library Program
• Library Program

P.R.I.D.E. Assignments:
•Printing

Community Work Squads:

Dept. of Transportation No

Public Work Squads Yes

Interagency Community
Service Work Squads Yes

Contracted Work Squads No

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

michelleny
03-15-2005, 09:43 PM
:confused: hello i'm michelle from new york and i have a dear friend who at Calhoun Correctional Institution is there anyone else whos loved one is there?

Mike
03-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi, and welcome to PTO. I live in FL and I write to a few guys there. I started writng one in E dorm. Then another friend got transferred there, to H dorm. And now the one in E dorm asked me to help his friend who gets out in about a month. So I have 3 friends there now.

lovenomore
03-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Hello, Michelle and Mike.

My name is Kim, my brother has been there for 7 years now... I only know of one other person who has a loved one there....
I think my brother is in the H dorm, because his dorm # has a H...
Hope to hear from you all soon

Schmoosgurl
03-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi Michelle! My fiance is at Calhoun and gets out in 2 months. It's sooooo very far from Orlando that I haven't been able to visit him at all since he got there in January.

That place is in the middle of absolutely nowhere and I'm having a hard time trying to find a hotel room for the night prior to his release...and of course that morning :D .

michelleny
03-17-2005, 07:13 PM
hi all i have a dear friend there his name is Chistopher m stewart E03862 i would love to get word to him that i havent forgotten him:(

michelleny
03-17-2005, 07:16 PM
oh my email is intensety65@aol.com feel free to drop me aline

michelleny
03-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi again okay let me explain why i cant just write chris,,, i have a man in my life who is treating by chris he knew when he meet me chris and i were close....since then we had a baby who is now 6 i havent spoke or wrote chris in 7 yrs but never stop thinking of him........... he doesnt get release till 2045 last i knew but i always check the website just to see him~ he only in his 20's but has his life behind bars for something he did,and paying the price for it. gee im sorry i had to vent others dont understand they say Michelle he is a loser im like no he isnt just really made a very very bad choice. He is very special to me.

MISTYR
03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone, I am from South Carolina and I have a Friend at Calhoun Correctional he is also in the H dorm, so do we all know the same guy are what????? lol!!!

Misty

MISTYR
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Michelle I completely understand, My friend at Calhoun is an ex-boyfriend, whom I will always care for and he made some bad choices and he is serving Life In Prison with No Parole. I too am married (6yrs and 2 kids) and I secretly write my friend David and he writes me back thru my work address, thu I know I'll never see him again, he's still my dear friend.

Misty:)

michelleny
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
i am so glad im not alone next time you write your friend please ask him if he knows christopher stewart:)

sweetpea
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
If anyone has information on Calhoun CI (which I see you guys do :p ) Puleeeeeease post it in this thread so everyone else can benefit from your knowledge. Thank you so much!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84767&highlight=calhoun

Sweetpea

MISTYR
03-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Michelle I'll ask David if he knows Chris, I'll be sending out another letter by Monday we write weekly. :)

I don't have much infor. on Calhoun, never been there personally, I have an ex-boyfriend;) there that I have reminded friends with thru the years, but he's there for a looooooooooonnnggg time, no parole. His brother was shot by police (during their "advanture" crime) but my friend is paying the time - stupid Florida Rule.:blah:

I know you can send stamps to them in their letters but no nudey pics, LOL!!!

Misty

MISTYR
03-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know much about Calhoun Correctional?? My friend ;) is in the H dorm, do you know anyone there from the H dorm?? Does anyone visit there?? :D I am in South Carolina and married so I can't really visit there.:(

MISTYR
04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Michelleny - hey girl David said Chris is in his dorm, Chris says to tell you to write him ;). I am in the same boat you are in. I too am married, so I use my employment address :p .

MISTYR
04-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know what we can and can not send to Calhoun Correctional? Anyone out there have a friend or relative there? My friend is in Dorm H.:)

michelleny
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Michelleny - hey girl David said Chris is in his dorm, Chris says to tell you to write him ;). I am in the same boat you are in. I too am married, so I use my employment address :p . you made my day!!!!!!!!!!!! i emailed you a note its in your private messages:D

michelleny
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
im so happy to of found this board:)

JO21
09-20-2005, 06:15 PM
My hubby has been sent to Calhoun. Does anyone have any insight into what kind of a place this is? How is visiting, etc.? Many thanks.

libra929
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
My bf has been there for almost 5 years. I haven't seen him because I live in MA. I am not sure how it goes, he can call me though. His name is Ron and is in dorm E. You can pm me if you like.

libra929
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
my bf is in dorm e and has been there for about 5 years and still has over 2 years to go. Any information could help me. I am trying to set it up so he can call me but says he can't update his list until 3/06 and i just signed up for pco today. Can i call the prison????? What can I do to see if he will be able to call me this month. You can pm me if you want or email me at *email address removed*. Thank you!

secondwind1125
10-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Hello, I'm Kathie and in New York. My best friend who is also my ex-boyfriend is in Calhoun. Not sure what dorm (sounds like he's in college) he's in but I know he said he was in the honor dorm (there we go again with college talk) :) and there is an A in the long series of stuff I have to put on the envelope. He has 2 and 1/2 -3 years to go.

Kathie

JO21
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I've made my first visit to Calhoun CI in North Florida. I don't see anything on here about it, so will add what I can...located about 40 miles west of Tallahassee in the middle of nowhere. I spent hours on the internet looking for a namebrand hotel and there are NONE. Look in the yellow pages for Blountstown and you'll find one in town. It's old but is reasonably clean and well kept up. The owner is friendly and rates are very good. Just don't expect the Hilton. It's about 5 miles away from the prison and the next I could find was over 20 miles away. Mapquest said 6 hours from the Orlando area, but I made it in 4-5 without speeding (much). Visitation was approved in 3 weeks for me and my daughter. The mail is ok-they are fairly lenient in what they allow (extra paper, etc.) They treat the inmates okay-some mean, some nice. The food is okay and plenty of it. Visitation check in and out was okay. They use some kind of hand scanner that proves who you are. They have vending machines and a canteen open. Pictures are $2. Visiting is from 7:30 to 2 pm. central time. They have a small room with table, canteen and vending machines and outside with a covered pavillon with tables and a grassy area around it. No playground equipment. I was scared and nervous-didn't know what to expect. But it was not a bad experience at all. Hope this helps someone else out! Jane

libra929
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for posting that. I will be making my first trip to see my bf in december. I am so nervous but feel a bit better since reading your post. Can you tell me the name and phone number for the motel, I need to make reservations and also need directions from New Port Richey to the prison. Any info will help. Pm me anytime.:)

mrsnicolodi
12-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I am planning to go see my husband with our 2 year as soon as I can get the minor block lifted and was wondering if there was anything to entertain my 2 year old? I know that there is no way that we can both entertain him for too long because well hes 2 and hes going to be normal. that is just about the only thing that I was worried about and also what is the dress code? My husbands been in calhoun since november but I cant see him yet because of stupid people. So Im glad that someone else on here has been there. Im going up there from lakeland.

Angel

libra929
12-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I just came back from visitation. They only have some books and toys for the kids to play with. There is no playground, so you can either sit inside at the tables or if it is nice outside, they have an area with covered picnic tables....... I wish you the best. I can not wait to go back for my second visit!!!!! Yoo hoo I was proposed to on December 10th 2005!!!!

HollyMick
01-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Wow, I know David and Chris both! My fiance used to bunk with David and still works with him! I also know Chris through my fiance...they all live in H dorm together. I'm new to this PTO site, and I started reading this thread and know everyone ya'll are talking about! Do you still communicate with either of them?

mrsnicolodi
01-10-2006, 10:20 AM
My husband is at calhoun but hes only been there since September and he is scheduled to get out Nov 5th. I believe he is in dorm G. I have not been to see him yet but I am planning on going on Feb 4th and 5th and I have been given a motel number that people usualy stay at when they go. They said its about 55 bucks and I live in polk county so its about 4 and a half hours away from me. Which if I go about 1 am on saturday I can see him and spend the night to see him again on Sunday and come back sunday night. I hope to be going soon and if anyone else wants to go just PM me and lets see what we can work out. I also have a 2 year old and I smoke. So kids are not a problem more then welcomed.

libra929
01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey I am trying to plan a trip March 4 and 5......flying into tallahassee on the 3rd. If anyone is intersested we can share gas and motel prices. PM me to let me know. Thanks :)

mrsnicolodi
01-13-2006, 11:53 AM
If everything goes right with my money situation I will be trying to go up that weekend also. I go on Feb 4th and 5th but it would be no problem for me to pick you up from the airport. When it starts to get closer contact me in PM or email and we can work something out. Take care until then.

ryda4lyfe
01-23-2006, 08:19 PM
hello ladies. i visited for the first tyme in dec. and there are "name brand" hotels/motels located in marianna which is a str8 shot on hwy 71 towards I-10. i stayed in the microtel w my infant, it was clean enough for her to crawl around the room so check it out. i hope to visit real soon. but what's up with that small room!? :)

mrsnicolodi
01-24-2006, 08:10 AM
I get to go see my husband in a couple of weeks and Ive got a number for the airport motel from another person whos been there. I can afford 55 dollars a night for a small room but I can not afford 75-100 for a fancy one just to sleep to see my husband. Im kind of poor and my son will be so tired the first night hell just want to sleep. Im kind of nervous about going because Ive never been there and I know that I am going to get lost. But after that I should be good to go.

libra929
01-24-2006, 01:35 PM
The Airport Motel was fine. The people that run it are very nice and very informative. The prison is only like a 7 minute drive frome there. Alot of people going to Calhoun stay there. When I went in December there were like 7 rooms filled with people visiting the prison. the owner's name is Harry Amin and he is very nice. Any questions feel free to pm me.

ryda4lyfe
01-24-2006, 01:40 PM
the ones in Marianna are the same price. i paid $45/night for two nights and it's closer to the jail, i'm sure than the airport. 20 miles. I hear you on poor thing...me too. So i was more than satisfied with the price and hotel. Don't be nervous, hon. You two will be okay, just leave so you have daylight while driving. you dont wanna be still driving when night falls, ya know? if i didn't get lost,you won't. i used mapquest and they were perfect. and from the hotel it was simple. i promise you'll be fine.

mrsnicolodi
01-24-2006, 03:14 PM
I want to leave Saturday morning so I can be there early that morning for the sign in. I know at county jail you had to be there 30 minutes before and they padded you down and checked your id and birth certificate. But Ive read something about they keep your ID or they scan your hand. What do you have to go through for check in? I am going to call the hotel to make sure that they are going to have a room available but my dad said superbowl is that sunday so I figure it might not be too crowded. I looked up mapquest too and Im going to go by that but I figure there should be signs right to the prison? I know calhoun is on the west side of talahassee but is that the right side or the left side? Im not too good with west and east just left or right. Also does anyone know the exact address of the prison? When I put in the address that I write to my husband at it says its not found. But it is the address that he writes on the envelopes and I write to him.

ryda4lyfe
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
i don't know where Lakeland is from tallahassee but when you get off of I-10 believe me you'll know where you are. :) there aren't signs for the jail. you'll travel the 20 miles away from the hotel, just stay on that road unitl you see the sign of the jail. it is going to seem like you're in the middle of nowhere and you're going the wrong way BUT YOU'RE NOT! i forgot to tell you that the address won't come up on mapquest but they are the simplist directions ever. I PROMISE. the road that the jail is off is gonna be on your left and it will come quick if you're not paying attention, but like i said you'll drive for about 20 miles from the the hotel. you'll also go thru a mini town, then you'll see a city sign for blountstown on your right. once you see that city sign you're close. you will not see a street sign for the road the jail is on, there will be a grounded green sign, on the corner instead, with the jail name and everything else kinda like the grounded signs at construction sites that have all the contractors info?? you know what i mean? just look out for it on your left hand side. the things that are off the exit towards the jail are gas stations,and on the other you'll see pizza hut and motels/hotels, gas stations as well, and there's a super walmart. I found that very handy when i ran out of baby formula at 630am and need bottles for the visit :o. when you go visit you can go anytime but they stop processing 2 hrs before visitation is over, it starts at 730am. they will take your picture, and the baby's picture. they will give you your id back as well as the birth certificate, and give you a yellow card with an id #. that id will be all you need when you go back. they scan your hand when you enter and when you leave. they do pat you down and check under your bra, if you baby is an infant they will ask to check in his diaper. the earlier you get there the better seat you get, you'll know what i'm talking about when you get there, the longer visit you have which is always a plus. the food isn't all that, the chesseburgers are okay though. west of tallahassee means it is to the LEFT. remember it like this, if you were standing on FL and wanted to go to the west coast, California, you'd go left. have a good visit!!!:D how far did mapquest say it was? and how long in time? that should give you a good idea of travel and arrival time. I'm in atlanta, and it took me 4-5 hours with 2 stops, one short, one long for the baby's sake. i was on the road at 11:45am and got there with enough sunlight to check in and unpack, and go to the jail just so i knew where i was going in the morning. also don't forget they are on CENTRAL time.

mrsnicolodi
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay thank you. The directions said like 5 1/2 hours and like 356 miles. I didnt understand howcome it wouldnt pull up the jail. Should I make reservations or should I just show up to the motel and hope they have a room? My son lost my address book and it had the number to the airport motel but I guess I could just call 411. Thank you for the information.

libra929
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Here is the number for the hotel and the address, type that in for mapquest and like i said the prison is only about 5-10 mins away from there. It took me a little over 5 hours driving from New Port Richey. 1-850-674-8168 address is 21901 State Road 20 E Blountstown, FL 32424 Harry will give you directions to the prison, it is really easy and don;t forget you are on central time when you are there.

ryda4lyfe
01-26-2006, 08:39 PM
the number to Microtel Inn & Suites is 850 526 5005. The address is 4959 White Tail Dr. I didn't make reservations, i changed my mind about the motel i did make reservations for and drove across the street to them and they had a room-handicap but it was a room for the $45! :) i saved $20 by switching, so you know i was happy about that!!! But you have the number so if you want you can call.

susanmommyto4
05-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I went to see my brother for the first time on Sunday at Calhoun. :)

The guard checking us in was a B****! I had on white capris and a pink shirt (it was long, and came almost down to the bottom of my back pockets). She told me that she could see the line of my bra, and my panty line:angry: .

She wanted me to go buy a new outfit at the dollar store. I ran to the car and luckly, my hubby had left a t-shirt in it. I put it on over the top of my outfit and went back to her, the whole time pulling that t-shirt down in the back, so she wouldn't say that she could still see a "panty line". I was OK then. Even though I was wearing a stinking, sweaty mens t-shirt.:idea:

She was picking on EVERYONE. Everyone looked fine to me, but 75% of us had to run to the car for a different shirt. One lady luckly had a sports bra in her car and was able to change into that. She was a nursing mother, with a newborn, and her nursing bra with the fold down flap was too revealing thru her shirt! :confused: Whatever!

One 50ish aged woman had on a mini skirt that came just above her knee and a shirt that wasn't even near as long as my first shirt, and they said nothing at all to her. I just don't get it.

A word of advice: don't wear a bra that isn't smooth fitting. And don't wear white pants. Mine were even a thick material, and she still said not to wear them again.

BUT....flip flops are fine. I guess that bra and panty lines turn inmates at Calhoun on, and toes don't.:p LOL!

mrsnicolodi
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Thats funny. The first time I went to see Jeremy I had no problems. The second time they wouldnt let his cousin in because her button up sweater opened when the wind blew. My shirt was okay because I had a tank top underneat but it was too revealing so I had to button it up. I wanted to ask her if she was jealous because I had bigger boobs then her. I think thats all it was. The second day they said my neck line was too wide and it would move around too much giving the oppertunity for my bra or something to show. SOoo...I had to wear a sweater the whole time. Both days it was a black girl, skinny, short, looked like she was mad the whole time. The old thick lady that is usually at the gate when you walk up is really nice. I really like her. Shes about the only one I liked. I was wondering if we could wear shorts???? I know we can wear flip flops but I didnt know about shorts since its getting to the summer.

libra929
05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
You can wear shorts but they have to be 3 inches or longer above the knee. I wore them in april and had to go change into pants because they measured 2.5 inches. Yes it was the tiny black female guard who made me change, the older lady said i was fine. Now I have to get all the info about Wakulla, my fiance was transferred there last week. Lucky me LOL

michelleny
06-03-2006, 09:52 PM
to all who knows chris tell him hi for me and i send my luv

mrsnicolodi
06-03-2006, 10:01 PM
chris who?

JP'sGirl
06-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Angel, in an earlier post michelleny said her friend was:
Chistopher m Stewart E03862

mrsnicolodi
06-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Oh I didnt know. Its been so long since anyone posted in this site I forgot.

michelleny
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
lol thanks!

MrThomas
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know what we can and can not send to Calhoun Correctional? Anyone out there have a friend or relative there? My friend is in Dorm H.:)

Dont know about physical things you can send but i have sent money to a family member using jpay to calhoun..worked great

mrsnicolodi
06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Was Chris sentenced under the 65% law? Since he commited his crime before 95???? What dorm is he in? My husband is in G dorm??

michelleny
06-11-2006, 08:56 PM
chris las time i knew is on dorm H

michele1
07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi anyone know any info about this facility in Blounstown,Fl???:confused: Thanks Michele1

michele1
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
:confused: hello i'm michelle from new york and i have a dear friend who at Calhoun Correctional Institution is there anyone else whos loved one is there?

Hi Michele here , my son is in calhoun any info you have about that place whould be helpfull..Thanks I'm new to this

michele1
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
anyone out there have any loved ones in the F dorm??? My son Jeff is there and sure can use a penpal.. Someone he can express himself to and to help ease all the lonely ness...Thanks again a concerned Mom..Michele1 reg. user

mrsnicolodi
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
My husband is there. He is in the hole right now but hes not happy. He gets out on the 26th and he said they just changed wardens and hes changing everything. They took their radios and picture albums and I wrote im to find out what else is going on. Its a pretty laid back prison from what I hear. Nothing major happens. Visit is alright. The guards arent staring us down and usually if theres the right ones there they told us to do what we wanted as long as we didnt do anything we knew we shouldnt. PM me if you want to know anything else. And blountstown is a little town. Like 300 people in it.

susanmommyto4
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Calhoun has a new warden, and he isn't very nice. He's taking away the weights as of Aug.1. They also cannot buy more that 10 items at a time now. I guess to reduce trading (cards, legal services etc.)

michele1
07-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi, thanks for some much needed advice. My son just wrote me and said there are so much rules pitly ones..And no ac either and with the temps up there they can hardly breathe.. This is his first and I hope last prison time.. He has 3yrs approx. left Thanks again and by the way I'm new to this what does pm me mean? Is it like e-m? Thanks again

mrsnicolodi
07-25-2006, 07:27 AM
PM is a private message. If you click on the persons name you want to send a message to, it will say ,,,send a private message to this person...kind of like email but PTO email. My husband said they just got a new warden. I dont know why they have a new warden, but my husband says he doesnt like him. Im tryed to get my husband to write me and tell me what the new warden is doing as far as they took his pictures and radio, all the magazines and newspapers. He will call me on wed and I will find out what he meant by all of that. If you have any questions just ask. Where do you live at?

michele1
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi, michele1 here. Thanks for the info..I live in cape canaver fl Where u from? I'm really worried about my son, he says the rules there are out racious for little things,this is his first prison experience and I hope his last' I would love to visit but money,time is my biggest problem..He wants to get transfered he wont tell me why...His lawyer if that what u want to call him made him many promises and a lot of lies..public pretender lol. Really not funny and I'm so glad to have found this site, and thanks again Michele1

mrsnicolodi
08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
jeremy said there was a new warden and he is petty. I dont know how he can change it to where they can only order 10 items at a time? I thought there was a fdoc limit to 65 dollars a week not done by different prisons. Calhoun is not a private run prison. Thats new to me tho so thanks.

2nice
08-05-2006, 05:23 AM
anyone out there have any loved ones in the F dorm??? My son Jeff is there and sure can use a penpal.. Someone he can express himself to and to help ease all the lonely ness...Thanks again a concerned Mom..Michele1 reg. user

Maybe you could place an ad for him on a pen pal website or lostvault.

michele1
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi, my son is in calhoun and is in G dorm..Do u have any info how he might receive a pen pal ? Thanks for any info A worried mom and very lonely son who would LOVE someone besides his mom to write him...

solayk
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Im new here and was wondering if anyone has a loved one @ C C I?

niuyoricanpr
10-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi Sola. My boyfriend is in CCI. Where are you from?:D Oh, Welcome!

solayk
10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Im in Daytona Beach. How bout you?

niuyoricanpr
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM
OK. I'm in the Tampa/Clearwater Area. Planning to go up there soon? There's two of us planning to go together soon. PM me if you are interested.:)

rosestddygrahmz
10-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I sure wish I could join you ladies in going but I still dont know when I am going to be able to go. I was hoping to go this coming weekend but that fell apart, now I am going to try for the following weekend, time will tell. You ladies have a wonderful time and enjoy your times you can have with your loved ones.

niuyoricanpr
10-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Visiting my bf in Calhoun this coming w/e (Oct. 12). Anyone interested in carpooling pm me. Central Florida Area.

Rosest: I'm so sorry you can't go visit this coming w/e, hopefully your boss will give you some time off next week. I'll keep in touch. Be blessed.

rosestddygrahmz
10-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I hope your visit went well. I was happy because I finally got to talk to my baby yesterday. My phone was blocked for nonpayment but I pay for 20 calls a month and only had 11 used up but they said I still had to pay them so I did Friday morning and I got two calls Friday. That really made my day. He was getting upset because he couldnt get in touch with me to talk to me and for some reason, my letters werent getting to him so he was thinking the worst. I am just so glad to be able to talk to him and reassure him that there is nothing wrong and that I am in there for the long hall with him. I love him with all my heart and soul and I am not going anywhere. Let me know how your visit went. I am definately going next weekend but I am driving up Saturday morning and just spending one night in the motel, I cant afford two nights this month. Keep praying and keep your head up.

niuyoricanpr
10-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi rosest: Glad you could talk to him, i know how upset they get when not able to talk to us. My visit went fantastic thank you, and like we talked before, i fell in love all over again:p It was almost 8 mos. since we last saw each other. To be able to go visit on his birthday was a blessing. He was so happy and so was I. It didn't take me long to get there. CO were nice. They worked fast and I didn't wait long to go in. Finally he reached a facility where they know what they're doing. I actually don't have any complaints on Calhoun. I hope you enjoy your visit next Saturday. I'll see if i can go up there again, i'll let you know. I'll be PMing you. Be blessed.

Mr$.Aquino
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
my fiancee is in CCI and i would love to go every weekend or every other weekend. if anyone is in the orlando area and plans on going out there let me know. it would save us all money if we split the bill. thanks

alone66
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Does anyone go from Chattanooga to Calhoun?

Missinghim_147
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
anybody know how the hole works around there my mans in there and im waiting to hear from him im assuming i have to send him stamps and envelopes thou?

Don Quixote
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
If he has $$ in his account, he can buy envelopes and stamps. Sometimes he can get them from other inmates (a risky strategy since nothing is free in prison). Otherwise, he gets envelopes from those who send them to him.

ThatOneChick
12-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I've never heard of being able to mail them stamps or envelopes? I thought they had to either purchase them there or get from somebody in there. I really don't think you can send them, unless some places are different about that..i would call ahead and check before sending.

Missinghim_147
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
i know you are able to send them stamps and i have contacted him thanks for your help : )

ThatOneChick
12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
That's insane! I'm glad you are able to send him stamps, that is definately not something we can do here. I think someone told me a long time ago it's because someone had been putting drugs on the back of the stamps or something crazy? I'm not totally sure, but anyways glad you guys can do it! That should save some trouble. Good luck.

4evaMrsKeo
03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
where do you live, anywhere near Tampa bay?

MIKESBA
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Is anyone going from south florida to calhoun this weekend for memorial day. I have a car but need t share expenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIKESBA
05-22-2008, 06:19 AM
i desperately need someone to share expenses to calhoun this weekend (memorial day ). I have a car and will leave from Broward.Pleasepm me! Thanks Ange

4evaMrsKeo
05-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes my Husband is in Calhoun :( as well...where do you live?

Missinghim_147
05-31-2008, 02:21 PM
i live around ft myers area

debfew
06-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi,

My son has just been placed into Calhoun this week. Can anyone tell me what the place is like? How so the COs treat the inmates? Is there opportunity for any type of recreation? What is the condition of the facility? I'm worried sick. He went to SFRC four weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. Still waiting for the first phone call. Every time the phone rings I"m hoping it's him. :cry:

I was so glad to find this site. I cried just knowing that you are all out there. Please, any information at all on Calhoun will be much appreciated.

Deb

ben's girl
06-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to PTO! I don't have info on the facility itself. I just know I pass by the road it's located on going to where my husband is. It's located in a small town w/ not much to do. There are a few motels if you ever get up to visit.

debfew
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Bens Girl. My son is in for 3 years, with the time served in county and the gain time he will hopefully get, he should be out in 19 months. I know that some camps are better then others. I've heard some good things about some and bad things about others, but not much about Calhoun.

He's been in the system for 4 weeks now, and I've received one letter and no phone calls. I'm not sure what is going on, but after reading through some of the posts here I know that I should call his CO. I wouldn't have known that without this site. Hopefully I'll get some answers. He in medium security so he should be able to call daily.

ben's girl
06-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Have you sent him stamps, envelopes, and paper? Just making sure so he can keep those letters coming until you get your first phone call. Yes, you can call his CO to see if he has turned in his phone list for approval. If he has, ask for the person who handles the phone so you can see if there are any problems approving your number. It could just be something simple that needs to be cleared up or just someone taking their sweet time. I hope he calls soon!!

TOROSE
06-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks, Bens Girl. My son is in for 3 years, with the time served in county and the gain time he will hopefully get, he should be out in 19 months. I know that some camps are better then others. I've heard some good things about some and bad things about others, but not much about Calhoun.

He's been in the system for 4 weeks now, and I've received one letter and no phone calls. I'm not sure what is going on, but after reading through some of the posts here I know that I should call his CO. I wouldn't have known that without this site. Hopefully I'll get some answers. He in medium security so he should be able to call daily.

Welcome:),my son was also sentenced 3 yrs., now it's just a matter of months before he comes home. We all know and truly understand that wait, do call the CO at the facility, ask to speak to the CO supervisor, have your questions ready for them, make sure your phone line is hooked up so there won't be any delays, it sounds like you've done that, as Ben's Girl said do send writing materials, keep writing, send him pics, cards, you will be able to visit soon, ask about that when you call the CO, it's good for them to know there is family involvement/support. It does get easier to handle, I know it's hard to believe, having a loved one incarcerated, in our case happens to be our sons, is not easy and it's something that until they are free we can not stop thinking, about their well being, it doesn't leave our minds, from the moment we wake up until we go to sleep, it will not be an easy road, but you sound like you will be there for him 100%, as I have been, and will always be, stay positive, and as I do always encourage everyone, Pray for him daily, God will take care of him. glad you found us, don't hesitate to ask anthing... there is always an Angel sent here to give you an anwer or direct you in what to do. You are not alone...God Bless:)

debfew
06-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I did finally start getting calls this week from my son. There was a problem with his PIN.

Still waiting to hear about Calhoun.... Does anyone have any info??

FAITHHOPELOVE
09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Can anyone please post some updated info on Calhoun CI? How is visitation? What's the check in process? Is it vending machine or canteen?

Thanks,

debfew
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi,

My son is in Calhoun. Visitation is pretty laid back. All of the CO's I've dealt with are very nice. The check in process is, you sign in outside the front office then wait outside until they call your name. The wait may be about half hour or so until they call your name. Then they let you inside. You'll go through a metal detector and then they'll take you into a room and pat you down. Once into the visiting area, you'll wait a few minutes until your inmate arrives. You can sit inside or outside under a pavillion. They do take a hand scan the first time you visit and issue you a code number. So on subsequent visits you'll input the code and scan your hand. They do this also on your way out. Calhoun seems like a pretty laid back facility. My son has been doing well there, other then one CO that keeps giving him verbals and causing him to lose his gain time. Hope this helps. God speed until your loved one is home again.

DarklilAngel216
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I've read everywhere about what you can and cannot bring to a visitation, what you can wear.. but that's not what I'm interested. I want to know, when I pull into the prison. What am I going to expect and what am I going to have to do? Where do I go, What actions do I have to take.

The prison I may be visiting is Calhoun C.I. The classification officer at RMC told my boyfriend that he would refer him to Bay C.F... do referrals get accepted often? I'm kinda hoping that he is just waiting for a bed at Bay. I wont know more until he writes.... :confused:

Don Quixote
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
If he is at Calhoun, then it is unlikely he'll be sent to Bay until a year is passed (there are some exceptions, but usually you have to spend one year before they consider transfers). If he's still in RMC, then if a Bay bed comes open before a Calhoun bed (or there is some other compelling reason), then a referral could mean he ends up in Bay.

DarklilAngel216
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
He is at Calhoun and I believe this is his permanent camp, from what he has told me in letters.. I hate not knowing whats going. His release date is not even up yet and I've been trying to figure it out also.

ben's girl
11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Don Quixote is right. If he has already been moved to Calhoun, then HE will have to put in a request to transfer to Bay when his review comes due.

DarklilAngel216
11-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Alright, Thanks! At least now I know he is stuck there for a while!

DarklilAngel216
11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
:D:DI have been approved to see my fiance' and I am going to go see him tomorrow! I haven't seen him in two months and I was wondering if anybody knows the procedures for registration at Calhoun C.I. for visitation! I've never been to a prison before so I am pretty much scared silly... any info will be greatly appreciated!!:D:D

LeaAnn
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Hope you have a nice visit!

DarklilAngel216
11-08-2008, 02:17 PM
There wasn't a lot of information regarding this specific facility when it comes to visitation, so I would like to inform those of you who have loved ones what it is like at Calhoun C.I.

You can begin parking at any time, once you park you walk up to the control room and sign in, your last name then the inmate your visiting along with their D.C. #. Thing of it is though, they don't begin taking you back to be pat down/ect.. until 7:30. Today was my first visit and I was VERY nervous, being I am a control freak and don't like not knowing what is going on. When your last name is called by the officer you walk up and she takes your I.D. card, hands you a card with a pin number and returns your I.D. Once this is done you get toinput your pin number and scan your hand to put your finger prints into the system, then stand back and get your picture taken. After this your handed a peice of paper with your picture and the inmates picture on it. Once you've completed all of this then you walk inside another building (the above is done outside). A metal detector is there and once you pass that annoying nuisance then you walk around the corridor into another side room where you get to empty your pockets and get a pat down. Empty your pockets and take off your shoes and enjoy! After all of this is done you go into another room where there are tables and you sit and wait for your inmate!

Once visitation is over they call you by the inmates last name and then you get your final kiss and embrace, then your lead into another room where you wait for the people infront of you to leave. You get enter your pin number and scan your hand the your FREE!

All of the CO's I had to endure today were very nice and helpful, basically if you keep your hands to yourself they won't say anything to you. The space there IS pretty cramped so if its winter time I suggest you bring a jacket and hang outside, more room to roam really. Of course, my man smokes and we were outside all day :D

I hope this information helps any of you who may be planning a trip to Calhoun. Enjoy!

Care&Bo
01-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Does anyone know much about Calhoun? My fiance is being transferred there from SFRC. I was told he would be moved last Thursday yet he is still waiting at SFRC. I got a letter from him where he was really upset because he hadn't heard from me in two weeks. I am currently touring the country scouting for new talent and models but I send him letters at least 3-4 times a week. I write him everyday but it's almost impossible for me to mail them until I get to the next city. I called his CO and let him know that I was worried and he said it prob just taking awhile for all the mail to get processed? But two weeks and not even one letter got to him? I don't know sounds fishy to me....and they lost my vistation form...so his CO had me fax it directly to him but I still haven't heard anything...any suggestions?

boop's mom
01-26-2009, 04:59 AM
How long ago did you fax it, can take some weeks sometimes, they will not notify you , you have to call them to see if it's been approved. Not sure about the mail tho, 2 weeks seems long, but with the holiday last week and no mail on weekends it could be backed up, he'll probably get them all at once. Patience is the one thing you have to have when dealing with the FLDOC.

DarklilAngel216
03-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know much about Calhoun? My fiance is being transferred there from SFRC. I was told he would be moved last Thursday yet he is still waiting at SFRC. I got a letter from him where he was really upset because he hadn't heard from me in two weeks. I am currently touring the country scouting for new talent and models but I send him letters at least 3-4 times a week. I write him everyday but it's almost impossible for me to mail them until I get to the next city. I called his CO and let him know that I was worried and he said it prob just taking awhile for all the mail to get processed? But two weeks and not even one letter got to him? I don't know sounds fishy to me....and they lost my vistation form...so his CO had me fax it directly to him but I still haven't heard anything...any suggestions?

Calhoun CI is pretty laid back, you have your few guards who can be asses, but other then that its a sweet camp, this is my fiance's second trip in prison and he says that he's never been in a more laid back facility... as long as your man minds his P's and Q's he will be fine... any questions, feel free to PM Me

debfew
03-30-2009, 05:59 PM
My son is in Calhoun. It is very laid back. My son has been there since last May. He's had no problems. Your fiance will be just fine. They won't notify you when your viso is approved. They will notify him. It takes a few weeks to get approved. Hang in there.

DaltonsMom
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Can anyone give me some info. on this place. My son was transferred there this week and I just found a website that has got me very concerned. They said it was called The Panhandle's Hell Hole. It also said that there is physical and sexual abuse that goes on, and that there are C.O.'s there that are crooked and abusive. Someone please tell me what they know about Calhoun currently. Thanks for your time.
Worried and concerned mom :confused:

haydeefm
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
My fiance just got transferred there. I am from Miami so I'm devastated that he's been sent so far. Do you know what the closest airport is, any hotel information and whether Calhoun has a 4 day Thanksgiving visit like I see posted here for other prisons? Does that mean that we can visit all four days?

I'm so glad to hear you say that it is laid back. I saw another thread saying it is called the "hell hole of the panhandle" and I freaked out. My fiance has never been in prison before so this is all new to us.

You can email me directly if it's better to (email address removed per PTO policy).

Blessings,
Haydee

ben's girl
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes, Calhoun will have a 4 day visit that weekend.

The closes airport is probably going to be Tallahassee. Panama City also has an airport, but it's probably going to be more expensive to fly into PC than Tally.

ms. pulga
09-10-2009, 06:55 AM
haydee we are planning a big trip to Region one see the other post and one of the girls is from the keys and her man is in Calhoun. She is also going in two weeks and im might go too although i have to drive on my own since my man is in ACI but we can stay in the same hotel. let me know if your in. i am in Miami too.

ms. pulga
09-10-2009, 06:56 AM
ohh ya the Thanksgiving is the big 4 day viso and we have about 5 girls going with us ...... we are all going to different prisons but in the same area like i said one girl is going to Calhoun. PM ME>>>>

jen6855
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I am waiting to get approved for visitation @ calhoun CI Does any one know anything about the way things work there? like how are the COs? Hotels close to the prison? I dont know? anything that you think might be helpful to know, this is my first time doing this and its like a 10 hour drive i dont want to mess anything up and get sent home without seeing him:confused:

ben's girl
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
First, welcome to PTO!

Unless you are opposed to staying at a motel, the closest cities are Tallahassee and Marianna depending on which direction you are coming from. There are 2 motels in Bristol and Blountstown that were decent enough to serve the purpose of a motel, The Snowbird (in Bristol which is in Eastern time zone) and The Airport Motel (in Blountstown which is in Central time zone). A bridge separates the 2 cities and that is where the time zone line is. The rates are anywhere from $45-65 depending on the weekend because they know their business is based off the prison visitors as there are several prisons in the surrounding area that utilize their motel for convenience. Each motel only has about approx 15 rooms. Again, they are not the Marriott by any means, but close to the prison and the owners are very nice. There is also nothing to do in that area and only a handful of places to eat so if you want to stay where there is some activity Tallahassee or Marianna will be the better choice. Maybe stay in one of those cities first and then stop by either motel on your 1st visit to see wouldn't mind staying there. It's been several years since I've been in the area so things may have changed.

I don't know anything about Calhoun itself other than once you get to Blountstown it looks pretty easy to get to because there is a sign located right on Hwy 71 that tells you where to turn. Hopefully your approval won't take to long. :)

jen6855
01-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Your the best!!! :thumbsup: Thanx so much. you seem to know your stuff. From what i have seen on this site you really help a lot of people out. Thanx again.

ricoswifey
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
My husband isn't at calhoun, but a friend of ours was there and he said the prison itself was real bad.....this was a few years ago though. I stayed at america's best value inn in marianna, which i think is also pretty close to calhoun...it was clean and was like $45 a night. I always stayed in marianna cuz there's a walmart and a few other stores and lots of restaurants and stuff....They have alot of other hotels too but some of them are a little more expensive...

jen6855
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok Thanx so much

Got_Chanel
01-15-2010, 11:49 AM
My fiance has been there for about 5 months now. I got approved very quickly about a week was all it took. I havent been there yet. I am actually looking to go the weekend of Jan 23rd. Maybe we can carpool or something. Because i was actually going to fly into Tallahassee. He says it isnt too bad there only a few rude CO. Other than that he is adjusting ok.

jen6855
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
YEah definitely, im prolly gonna rent a car n stay n a Hotel i got the name of this little hotel thats like 5 mins from the prison (the only hotel in blountstown) the only thing is GIRL, all 300 of my kids are going with me..... well actually there is only 3 but it seems like 300 when were stuck in The car. LOL:p so think about it... but thanks for the input on calhoun ive heard so many different things about it.

Got_Chanel
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
So I finally went to see my love this past weekend :-)! So I decided to share my experience since Calhoun isn't talked about as much. I stayed at the Snowbird motel for 45 bucks which was about a 7 min drive from the prison. It was very clean and the owner was nice. I was asked to change the first day bcuz my "skinny jeans" were too tight. Which was fine I had a change of clothes with me. All the CO's were actually nice. It was laid back. Nobody bothered us and I enjoyed my visit very much.

ben's girl
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the updated information. I always stayed at the Snowbird when I visited at Liberty CI a few years ago. I thought it was clean and served the purpose even though there isn't anything to do in Bristol/Blountstown. Glad you enjoyed your visit. :)

islandgirl22
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
im going to go visit my boyfriend this weekend!
its going to be valentines day on sunday. im so excited. i havent seen him in almost 8 months. due to my school and work schedule.
im completly nervous though... i hope the whole visitation process goes smoothly. :-/
im very anxious.. nervous.. excited.. basically a whole mixture of emotions.
if anyone has any advice about the do's and don'ts of visiting - it would be greatly appriciated!!! like what to wear and what not to wear - like are heels aloud? dresses? can i bring some pictures with me to give to him? are they really strict on the ONE kiss and hug thing?!
any info would be awesome.

much love.

Got_Chanel
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Well I guess I will see you there. Im going this weekend as well. I went and saw my fiance 3 weeks ago for the first time. I wore high heels. The CO are pretty nice and they watch you like a hawk. So yeah the one hug and one kiss this when you are coming going is pretty much it. Unless you are lucky. They really look at jeans so if your jeans are too tight at least wear a long shirt or a change of clothes.

Mrspeay
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm there at least once a month if not twice a month, I plan on visiting sat and sunday. Its not so bad depending on which co's are there. There is this one lady co she is the word witch with a B. she is african american so just watch out for her. Most of the men guards who are in visitation are ok. I have gotten to no them because I visit so often. they are strict about how you can take certain pictures they wont let you kiss in photos or let him stand behind you and if your man is touchy feely like mine then they will just tell him once visitation is over that he can't be doing all that touching but the guards won't say anything to you they will just let him no when you leave. I guess I will see both of you ladies there i'm excited also I always look forward to my visits. I will be wearing red on sunday just wave at me. The lady who process you in is very sweet she even let me in when I had on a shirt that showed my girls to much but she just told me to make sure that I leave my coat on. Me and james feel on each other and kiss as much as we want and nobody says nothing to us. If its not to cold you can also go outside where no one is hardly watching you like a hawk. I know your excited 8 months wow!!!

Mrspeay
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
oh and you can wear dresses anything below the knees and yes heels and open toed shoes are allowed

Got_Chanel
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes i guess we will all see each other there. I think I remember the lady you are referring to. Is she skinny as well? Ive only visited once and I think it may have been her. I just didnt pay her any attention because I was too excited lol

ben's girl
02-10-2010, 06:21 AM
To answer the question about bringing pictures in, you can't bring in anything other than your 1 car key, ID, money, unopened pack of cigarettes (if you or him smoke) and clear lighter. I have been able to bring in my sunglasses at most facilities for when we go outside.

islandgirl22
02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :) Im still not sure what i want to wear. here is another question... It says spandex isnt allowed. But i wanted to wear this dress that does go down to my knees with the little leggings thinggs under it. Are the leggings considered spandex? hmmmm... And where do you guys usually stay? Is there cheap places around there? Im coming from tampa area so i'll probably be coming friday night and stayin somewhere close so i dont have to drive 6 hours before i see him. Hmmmmm.. There are just so many things i want to make sure go smoothly! Lol. Another thing that is so crazy about all thiss is he has no idea im comin. I had been denied for criminal history.. which must have been a mistake cause i dont have any sort of criminal history. But i emailed whoever was in charge of that and he emailed me back appoligizing for the mix up and went ahead and gave me approval!! Lol... So im gonna just show up and suprise him. Im hoping its gonna be his best valentines ever... :)

Mrspeay
02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :) Im still not sure what i want to wear. here is another question... It says spandex isnt allowed. But i wanted to wear this dress that does go down to my knees with the little leggings thinggs under it. Are the leggings considered spandex? hmmmm... And where do you guys usually stay? Is there cheap places around there? Im coming from tampa area so i'll probably be coming friday night and stayin somewhere close so i dont have to drive 6 hours before i see him. Hmmmmm.. There are just so many things i want to make sure go smoothly! Lol. Another thing that is so crazy about all thiss is he has no idea im comin. I had been denied for criminal history.. which must have been a mistake cause i dont have any sort of criminal history. But i emailed whoever was in charge of that and he emailed me back appoligizing for the mix up and went ahead and gave me approval!! Lol... So im gonna just show up and suprise him. Im hoping its gonna be his best valentines ever... :)

It will he is gonna be so happy I'm not sure about the leggings just bring a back up outfit just in case they say no I have to drive five hours so I come overly prepared. I'm not sure where I'm staying I better get on top of that today

ben's girl
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
There are 2 cheap motels close the prison if you don't mind staying in a motel. The Airport Motel is in Blountstown and the Snowbird is in Bristol, which is just across the bridge from Blountstown. I haven't stayed in either one in a couple of years, but they served the purpose of having somewhere close to stay to the prison (Ben was at Liberty) and they were clean. The owners are nice, too, and they know that their business is mainly based off prison visitors. If you decide to try either of these, you need to call now because they only have about 15 rooms each and fill up on busy visiting weekends. I believe another member recently mentioned staying at the Snowbird and said it was still clean. PS-Don't expect anything fancy. They are both the typical outdated decor motel, but close to the facility.

ejordan865
02-11-2010, 06:27 AM
I would suggest not to wear leggings even if under a dress, when I went to wakulla they made this girl who was wearing leggings put something on to cover the leggings...and even if you can sit side by side dont do it, sit across, so that they cannot say there is any funny stuff going on...trust me I know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrspeay
02-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Well ladies time is winding down guess I will see you guys in the morning I'm hitting the road ay four am I heard its snowing in tallahasse I wonder how bad it is up there

smvelardocchia
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
if your mans prison is near quincy, the hampton inn there is pretty good- but its 108 a night- steep, but safe when you travel alone. theres also i believe a holiday inn express and a smaller hotel in the same area. and if you get bored after your visit, theres a walmart n stuff right across the bridge. this is all the exit before you would turn to go to liberty from 10.

Got_Chanel
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
@MsShepard Im sooooooooo mad my flight was cancelled. Hopefully Ill be able to make it up!

Mrspeay
02-14-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that I hope that you was able to get there. Yesterday it was so crowded that they dismissed us early I didn't appreciate that. Im visting again today. I'm staying at the quality inn in marianna. Its only about 20 plus miles from blountstown but the room is 59.99 a night and they are clean and in a convient location. Its next to a walmart and all kinds of shops and stuff.

Got_Chanel
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes I did make it! I only was able to visit 2day but hey that's better than no visit at all. I can't believe they cut visit short yesterday. I'm glad I wasn't there then. I woulda been pissed. They definetly need a larger visting area. Its ridiculous. You can just forget about having a private convo, bcuz everyone is so close 2gether. We stayed outside the majority of the time. I tried looking for you but I can barely see ur pic on here lol.

Mrspeay
02-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm gona post a new one of me and him i'm trying to figure out who you were. I had on a red shirt with black pants and big poofy curly hair. My bae has golds on teh bottom. What did you have on i'm trying to picture everyone in my head

Got_Chanel
02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Hmmm i think i may have saw you. Were you outside too? I had on blue jeans, white shirt with green sweater and black jacket and some brown heels. Long wavy brown hair with golden highlights.

Mrspeay
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
is your man at the work camp? That may be the reason i didn't see you guys. James is at the work camp and they have there on visitation

Got_Chanel
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Thats exactly why. No he is in the main unit.

Mrspeay
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
oh ok because over at the work camp their visitation doesnt have that many people but this past weekend it was packed. the building is so small so they kicked us right on out early. I got to stay till quiting time sunday because I wasn't leaving until i took my picture with my baby. We paid for a picture ticket and the inmate taking photos forgot us so I was last to leave at 10 minutes after 2. :-)

hkj7590
10-16-2010, 01:07 AM
I havent seen my dad in almost 4 years. Last time i saw him he was in Baker C.I. I just recently found out he was trasferred to Calhoun. Can anybody share their experiences (good or bad) about this prison?:( I always get worried when he is transferred!

redneckgirljh
10-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I havent seen my dad in almost 4 years. Last time i saw him he was in Baker C.I. I just recently found out he was trasferred to Calhoun. Can anybody share their experiences (good or bad) about this prison?:( I always get worried when he is transferred!

It not that bad, of a place. Some of the guards are a pain, but guess there are some in every place..

freakshow
11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
from experience... Calhoun is one of the better camps in Region 1.

He could of landed in FAR worse places... He's actually lucky!

One of the very few camps left where an inmate can make $$. It's not a lot, but its money. They print books, calenders such as that.
P.R.I.D.E. institutions are fading fast!

mart150
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi,

My friend is in Calhoun too. I don't know which dorm.. I have not seen him for a year now but we send each other letters. He is from Canada (so am I) and we are waiting for his transfer back here...... very long process..

It's nice to read you guys

mart150
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
oh and from what he told me.. it is very hot in there... almost unbearable.

gege8786
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I am trying to find a carpool and getting sso frustrated and depressed my hubby just got transfered from Calhoun CI to Calhoun work camp.Its been a few weeks and i have not talked to him since the tranfer.Can anyone at least tell me how the camp is?????? :-(

Mrs. Lane
10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
hello everyone new to this and i was wondering how many call a day do you recieve from your love one from calhoun C.I.? what time a day do they call, can they call anytime a day?

Mrs. Lane
10-15-2011, 12:04 AM
DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY NEW INFO. CALHOUN C.I.?
MY BF JUST GOT TRANSFERED THERE AND IM KIND OF NEW TO THIS SO ANY INFORMATION WITH BE FINE.
WHAT ABOUT WORK RELEASE DO YOU GUYS KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?

if you dont mind i have a question about the halfway/work release house. my bf might be transfered to one soon and i was wondering how that works and would i be able to see him once he's there or like i read before would i be able to take him job hunting? and dont mean to sound stupid but what did you mean by family visit :hmm: im kind of new to the whole prison situation so any information would be nice to know how this halfway house thing works.

thank you in advance.:)

Mrs. Lane
10-15-2011, 12:07 AM
oh and how is the calling situation there has well?
what time can they call out(their calling hrs.)
ANY INFO WILL HELP!!!!.....

Got_Chanel
10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
My hubby tends to call me between 7pm-930pm. On the weekends if i dont visit he calls earlier but i think it depends on what dorm they are end because when he was in a different dorm he called earlier.

oh and how is the calling situation there has well?
what time can they call out(their calling hrs.)
ANY INFO WILL HELP!!!!.....

Mrs. Lane
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
My hubby tends to call me between 7pm-930pm. On the weekends if i dont visit he calls earlier but i think it depends on what dorm they are end because when he was in a different dorm he called earlier.

thanks.....i finally heard from him and i found out they moved him from calhoun c.i. to calhoun work camp

Aaron's Love
07-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi! My hubby just got to Calhoun. I don't really see any newer posts in here... Anybody go some new information? Or any need to knows for visiting wives? Stuff like that? Any guards to avoid? How "fresh" can I get with my man? :)

niuyoricanpr
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Fresh? Nah, stay away from Offr. Simms, LOL!

Aaron's Love
08-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Fresh - you know touchy feely? And why the LOL about Officer Simms? :confused:

Fresh? Nah, stay away from Offr. Simms, LOL!

Stevenswife7814
10-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey yall, I am LJ. My Fiance just got senteced and was put in Calhoun. I had to leave florida after his arrest in March. Me and Our son are living in North Dakota. I miss him so much. He was sentenced to 2 yrs. 9 months. but they have not put on the jail credit that he was given. makeing his release date 11/22/2014. I miss him so much. I have no idea about all of this and I am going crazy. Like I said he was just transfered there today. I haven't even gotten a letter from him yet or anything. how long does it take to get the phone list approved? How much does stuff cost in the commisary so i know how much to send him. I am going nucking futs this is crazy....

NAN425
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey yall, I am LJ. My Fiance just got senteced and was put in Calhoun. I had to leave florida after his arrest in March. Me and Our son are living in North Dakota. I miss him so much. He was sentenced to 2 yrs. 9 months. but they have not put on the jail credit that he was given. makeing his release date 11/22/2014. I miss him so much. I have no idea about all of this and I am going crazy. Like I said he was just transfered there today. I haven't even gotten a letter from him yet or anything. how long does it take to get the phone list approved? How much does stuff cost in the commisary so i know how much to send him. I am going nucking futs this is crazy....

Hi LJ. Welcome to PTO.

You should call his classification officer at Calhoun and find out why he doesn't have credit for his jail time. Sometimes that paperwork gets lost or overlooked and you have to push them to correct it. Because it should be in the system by now if he's at his permanent camp.

Phone lists can take a couple of weeks. It depends on when he turned it in. Have you set up an account with Securus so that he can call you as soon as his list is approved?

Commissary prices are insane. Like $1 for a can of Coke. They are allowed to spend $100/week. Don't worry about what he needs, though. Send what YOU can afford. All his basic needs are taken care of for the most part. Even a few dollars will buy him a couple extra luxuries that will make him a lot more comfortable. Save your money for the phone - it will cost you something around $2.40 per 15 minutes I think.

The other thing you can do is get him started on some magazine subscriptions now that he's at a permanent home. Guys get really excited to get those - they are mail and entertainment! He's allowed five subscriptions. And once he has a few magazines coming, then he can trade them with other guys for what they are reading, so he will have access to a ton of reading material.

Also, you can send him SASE envelopes and sheets of paper so he can write to you. You probably haven't heard from him yet because he doesn't have writing supplies if there is no money on his canteen account. I put ten of each in a yellow envelope (no metal clasp) when I send them and have never had an issue with getting them through.

Right now this seems really hard to manage but believe me...as time goes on it will get easier. I know that seems hard to believe, but it will.

Stevenswife7814
10-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Well it is really hard right now because I am not working until monday with getting money to him. However when I do start back to work money is not going to be an issue what so ever. I am dealing with the not hearing his voice everyday. We have been together for almost 2 yrs. and he is in there for violent crimes against me. But I just can't let him go. I'm sorry I am being a whinner.....but i just have no one to talk to about this, my family hates him for it. And I just don't know what too do.

Stevenswife7814
10-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I know that in OHio you are allowed to send care packages...only know this because my father was a SGT at a prison there. What kind of things are you allowed to send them in Calhoun. Are they allowed Tennis Shoes to be sent to them? i mean i have no clue about any of this.

NAN425
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Be aware that as the victim of his crime, esp. it being a violent one, you will never be approved for visitation. You may even have trouble getting approved for his phone list.

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. www.flpackages.com If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

All of that said...a guy who hits you once will hit you again. They don't change. What are you waiting for?

SapphireRose137
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Be aware that as the victim of his crime, esp. it being a violent one, you will never be approved for visitation. You may even have trouble getting approved for his phone list.

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

All of that said...a guy who hits you once will hit you again. They don't change. What are you waiting for?

Nan on the packages per quarter, i just went to the link you shared it has a option for food packages they are also allowed to get those.

Stevenswife7814
10-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Florida has a package program through a vendor company. Inmates are allowed packages once per quarter. It's the only way that you can send them stuff. www.flpackages.com (http://www.flpackages.com) If you are going to send him a package, consult him first. There's stuff that he can only get through the quarterly order packages that he sort of needs. If you order a package, he isn't allowed to order himself that quarter and then he might not get what he needs.

Thanks for the info. But there is not any kind of a no contact order. So I am hopeing that they will approve his phone list. But we will just have to wait and see. As for the visitation that is not even an option anyways so no worries with that because I live in North Dakota. And as for what I am waiting for. I am waiting for the love of my life to be able to come home to me. ...Again thanks love.

NAN425
10-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Nan on the packages per quarter, i just went to the link you shared it has a option for food packages they are also allowed to get those.

They may have one food package and one clothing package per quarter is my understanding.

jax fl girl
10-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi, my BF is now at Calhoun for an 18 month sentence. I'm about to write him. According to the website, we can send pics, envelopes, stamps, and paper. Is this correct before I send this stuff?

Stevenswife7814
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi, my BF is now at Calhoun for an 18 month sentence. I'm about to write him. According to the website, we can send pics, envelopes, stamps, and paper. Is this correct before I send this stuff?

yeah but just make sure you stick to the instructions about it not going over a certain amount which i believe is 15

NAN425
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

DOC mail rules are the same at all facilities. You can see the mail forum for more info, but here's the basics:

10 sheets of writing paper (white, off white or yellow only - no blank drawing paper)
15 photographs or sheets of printed material
Self-addressed stamped envelopes - 20 (but can only have one first class stamp on each)
If you don't address the envelopes, you can only send 10 (no I'm not kidding - it's a messed up rule)

You can only send him the equivalent value of one book (20) of stamps at a time, and he can only possess the equivalent of two books of stamps, so mail carefully!

Make sure if you use a manila envelope that it doesn't have a metal clasp on it.

wickzfinest727
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
My love just got transfered there an I would love some info on this place I'm always on edge about new camps... wondering how it is in there an as far as visitation goes also please help! Thanks in advance

yeskaluvSS
02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
my man is at the calhoun workcamp its pretty laid back the guards dont really mess with you, im not sure about the main prison sorry :/

wickzfinest727
02-19-2013, 10:02 AM
my man is at the calhoun workcamp its pretty laid back the guards dont really mess with you, im not sure about the main prison sorry :/
thanks though i appreciate the reply!

l2sablon
07-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi My Hubby is in Calhoun since mid January I havent been able to see him because financially was not doing too good and I also live in Miami but im planning on going in two to three weeks this will be my first time going and will be with out 8 month old son that he has yet to meet because he got arrested when I was 6months pregnant. I need to know if it will be ok for me to take formula in a small container or do i just have his bottles ready..And am I able to wear a long dress

sunshinebabe90
08-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Is he still there??