View Full Version : Breastfeeding at the Gym?!?!?!

Ronnie
10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I was quite surprised this afternoon to walk into the locker room at my gym to find a woman bare breasted feeding her baby. The look on both of our faces :eek: :eek: made me definitely feel uncomfortable. I am a mom and am in no way against breastfeeding but the fact of public breastfeeding does give me pause. What do you all think about this being done out in public?

Cottontail
10-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I personally have no problems with it. It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable to see someone else doing it. However, I myself wouldn't openly breastfeed.

irisheyes66
10-13-2004, 02:37 PM
I think society in general crossed the line of dignity a while back.

My sister breastfed her daughter, and you never saw even the slightest bit of her chest, because she always had a blanket (a thin one in warm weather) covering the baby.

Breastfeeding is a beautiful and natural activity, but even in public there are ways to do it that are much more discreet than flopping your milkbags out in the open for the kid to "latch on".

Not everyone may be as comfortable as the breastfeeder about her exposed body in public...and everyone's rights end where the next person's begin.

JMO.

mrsdragoness
10-13-2004, 03:14 PM
In some cultures its a very natural thing, but I think women should be discreet about it and cover themselves if they are in a public place.

I believe that nudity and breastfeeding are both natural things that should not be hidden - but there's an appropriate time and place for them both.

Phil in Paris
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
flopping your milkbags out in the open for the kid to "latch on".

:eek: :yuck: :faint:

Phil :p

Ronnie
10-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Phil--I love those smilies!!! My only real concern is that I feel that if you are going to breastfeed in pubic then you should be covered up!!!

Retired-10
10-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Within the last year a woman here in Ohio was charged with child endangering and an array of traffic offenses when she was pulled over for breastfeeding her child while driving...

I think breastfeeding in public is perfectly fine when done with some form of modesty. You don't have to whip out your whole breast to feed the kid. Find a private location and do what ya gotta do... The whole world doesn't need a peep show...

PTO56489
10-13-2004, 03:56 PM
I really don't have a problem with it, the baby was hungry and the mother was feeding her child. There is no modesty in the locker room...I'd much rather see a mother breast feeding than watching women walking around naked chatting, doing their hair, etc... *laughs*

I think it's a personal thing...I would probably have tried to conceal it somewhat...different strokes for different folks.

Just my two cents

Phil in Paris
10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, actually, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Probably because I live in Europe and am used to seeing "milk bags" :D on the beach or at the swimming pool.

Phil

irisheyes66
10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
"milk bags"

LOL, Phil...you like that phrase? I made it up just for you, sweetie!

Anjewel
10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, I just had a baby this past January. The 13th to be exact.

I also nursed him for seven months. Would have been longer, but he weaned himself.
Anyhow, I checked the law and there is a law on it. It is legal to breastfeed in any public place that a mother and her child are legal to be in, in the first place, here in Florida.

Anyway, I never could get up the nerve. I am 36, think it is THE best thing you can do for your baby, but I know how I have felt when ever I'd see someone doing this, myself. It's like mini skirts. Even if I weighed 98 pounds and even though alot of women wear them, I just couldn't myself. :)

So, I always went to the car or the bathroom IF IT WAS PRIVATE AND THEY HAD A DIAPER CHANGER. But, I always cleaned it with hand sanitizer first and used a blankey under him.

But, I would never push my comfort zone on someone else. I think it's up to the mother that has to hear the hungry baby crying.

PS While I was nursing, 'milk bags' is ALL they were. :D

deb
10-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I always breastfed my kids in public so to speak.... I didn't go hide in a bathroom like it was something I should be ashamed of... I didn't use a blanket, but my shirt covered my breast pretty well... It's natural and normal...

Deb

haswtch
10-13-2004, 09:21 PM
me too deb, I never worried about it much but the baby covers what the shirt doesn't.

LBoogie0810
10-14-2004, 01:44 AM
I always tried to cover up as much as possible. I have no problem with public breastfeeding. At one of the prisons I worked at, the cells were 3 tiers high and it was the "old fashioned" cells with the bars.. in the very center of the bottom row there was a cell converted for staff to use the restroom a fridge etc, but once the inmates were down, I use to go in there and pump all the time! I was only caught once during my breastfeeding days with that child. But staff and offenders alike knew what I was doing and they respected me, thankfully. BABY'S GOTTA EAT!!