View Full Version : Son Going to Wasco Canteen/Commissary Question

his_mom
09-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Hello All,
I am new to PTO and was delighted to find all of you. My son is currently in Orange County Jail and will be transferred to Wasco soon. I put the maximum amount of $$ on his books here at county jail in hopes that it would follow him to Wasco so that he could purchase necessary items as soon as he got there. My son called last night and said another inmate told him the money will follow him to Wasco, but it takes 3 months or so!! My question is this: Is the above correct? Must I wait for him to arrive at Wasco and send me his inmate # before I can mail a money order? How do the new guys get their commissary/canteen without having to wait for so long?
Thank you very much,
Confused Mom:(

California Sunshine
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
First off WELCOME to PTO :)
I am not 100% sure about your question but I do tend to think it may take awhile for the $ to follow him.Hopefully someone who knows for sure will be along to answer your question

Valerie
10-01-2004, 09:57 AM

Valerie
10-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Welcome to PTO, I've heard the money gets there within 30 days. There may not be a set period of time but I'm really not sure.I think I would call the jail and try to get an answer.I've also heard of a " fish draw" where they give them a draw againt money on the books.

YankeeGirl
10-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Hello All,
I am new to PTO and was delighted to find all of you. My son is currently in Orange County Jail and will be transferred to Wasco soon. I put the maximum amount of $$ on his books here at county jail in hopes that it would follow him to Wasco so that he could purchase necessary items as soon as he got there. My son called last night and said another inmate told him the money will follow him to Wasco, but it takes 3 months or so!! My question is this: Is the above correct? Must I wait for him to arrive at Wasco and send me his inmate # before I can mail a money order? How do the new guys get their commissary/canteen without having to wait for so long?
Thank you very much,
Hi My husband is in Wasco now waiting to be sent to the prison he will be assigned. I dont know how it works in your sons county. But my husbands money that was on his books in Fresno County transfred with him. As far as then getting to go to the store. It took him like 2 weeks or so before he got to the store. He wont be able to make a call to you for a while. I know of some guys that didnt get to call for 4 months. He will be able to write you and you can write him. When he gets transfered, You can call Wasco to see if he they have his CDC number. I think that the day after my husband was sent to Wasco he I was able to get his CDC number. I think it takes them 24 hours to post in the computer. The people that answer the phones there are very polite and helpful So is the SGT in the mailroom. You can call 661-758-8400 and they will give you his number.

Hope that helps. If you want feel free to PM me.

Colossians3Two
10-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I agree with YankeeGirl! The money does follow, but it takes a while, like 2-3 weeks! The mail is slow at first, but gets to them faster after a bit. No phone calls, just letters. Depending on your son's CDC number is when he will get to go "shopping". If it is a high number at the end, they shop, I believe, at the end of the month. Tell him to keep turning in an order when his money gets there, eventually they will accept the order. Good Luck, we are here for you!

God Bless!

PTO56489
10-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Just wanted to say hello and welcome :)

Stressmom
10-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Hi Mom
My Son is also at Wasco. His money did fallow him, but it took 3wks.
for him to get it.If you supply him with paper, and envelopes make sure
they are embossed envelopes,(the stamped ones)and wait he will write to you with all the info, It takes 3wks for them to get a money order even if it has all the info. on it, so if you send before he gives you that,it will probably get lost. The money that goes with does take a while, but don't worry the other imates that are there from OCJ.will take care of them with supplies. And make sure he sends you a visit slip cause that takes about three wks. to clear you before you can visit him, oh, tell him not to forget to sign them before he sends them to you.My son didn't check them before he sent them and he had to get a second set.it took us 5wks to be cleared. And my son doesn't get to have phone calls, Which is just as well cause our phone was high when he was at OCJ. The visit is also by phone but it is fast to get in and they have two chairs.
When you get cleared and if my son is still there, if you want to get in touch with me we can take you. we go every two wks. and leave at
6:00 A.m. get there at about 8:45 to 9:00 A.M. sign in then we go to a building from there they call us, it usually takes about 20 min. then we go to another room where they have about 15 windows. but there are 4 rms with 15 windows each so it goes fast. you have an hour visit. We usually get home by 3:00 P.M. Sure hope this helps. You probably feel like your world has close in on you.( with good reason,) but don't be a victim be a serviver, and encourage your son to do the same. Its all in Gods hands and he will be there for you. Good luck. And the Police there are very nice. P.S. don't forget to check the back of the form you get from your son for the dress code. Stress Mom.

Colossians3Two
10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey Stressmom! I haven't been approved yet, but am hoping to be soon! Maybe we can all go together? LOL Better than driving alone, right? It could be a lot of fun getting to know each other, it's so much better when you have someone to talk to that is in the same boat you're in! Think about it and let me know!

God Bless!

YankeeGirl
10-05-2004, 04:01 AM
I dont know maybe it is because where you are coming from. But everyone I know that went to Wasco from Fresno had the money that went with them on their books from the county was on the wasco books in days not weeks. And as far as the money order if you get his cdc number you can send him the money order out the day you get his cdc number. That could take up to 3 weeks. But from Fresno county jails whatever money you have with you post with in 3 days. I know that for a fact.

I also know that when he gets mainlined to the prison they are sending him. They will start taking 55 percent or 60 percent of his money you send him. So any money you want him to have you have to send before he gets mainlined. Or he wont even get the full amount.

Hope that makes sense if not message me anytime. I am a little sleepy it is late here so forgive the typos and blah blah talk. :p

his_mom
10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Thank you so very much for the infomation. My son is 19 yrs. old and I am scared to death for him. Your words did help and I trust that God has a plan for him. Thank you again for everything. God Bless you and your son.

Hi Mom
My Son is also at Wasco. His money did fallow him, but it took 3wks.
for him to get it.If you supply him with paper, and envelopes make sure
they are embossed envelopes,(the stamped ones)and wait he will write to you with all the info, It takes 3wks for them to get a money order even if it has all the info. on it, so if you send before he gives you that,it will probably get lost. The money that goes with does take a while, but don't worry the other imates that are there from OCJ.will take care of them with supplies. And make sure he sends you a visit slip cause that takes about three wks. to clear you before you can visit him, oh, tell him not to forget to sign them before he sends them to you.My son didn't check them before he sent them and he had to get a second set.it took us 5wks to be cleared. And my son doesn't get to have phone calls, Which is just as well cause our phone was high when he was at OCJ. The visit is also by phone but it is fast to get in and they have two chairs.
When you get cleared and if my son is still there, if you want to get in touch with me we can take you. we go every two wks. and leave at
6:00 A.m. get there at about 8:45 to 9:00 A.M. sign in then we go to a building from there they call us, it usually takes about 20 min. then we go to another room where they have about 15 windows. but there are 4 rms with 15 windows each so it goes fast. you have an hour visit. We usually get home by 3:00 P.M. Sure hope this helps. You probably feel like your world has close in on you.( with good reason,) but don't be a victim be a serviver, and encourage your son to do the same. Its all in Gods hands and he will be there for you. Good luck. And the Police there are very nice. P.S. don't forget to check the back of the form you get from your son for the dress code. Stress Mom.

his_mom
10-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and information. I really appreciate it and t's nice to know that there are people who understand what I am going through.
God Bless all of you and your loved ones.

worried momma
04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
hi this is my first time on here my son is in wasco he has been there for 25 days and he writes me all the time and i write him every night but any ways does anyone no if there is a limit to the amount of money they can spend at the store at one time and how long does it take to find out what leval they are oh and his money went with him he goes to the store on tuesday we live in kern county so he didn't have far to go

SAIRA79
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Hello There, My Boyfriend Has Been At Wasco For About Two Months, I Go Every Two Weeks , I'll Get There About 930am And Dont Leave Until 230pm, I Live Near Lax In Los Angeles ,so I Make Bake To La Around 530pm ,, If You Are Intrested Maybe We Can Carpool And Shared Gas Money,, So If You Are Intrested Reply Back And We Can Exchange Numbers:)

Tony'sBabe
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
They can spend $90 per draw at Wasco. They just canged the days to visit the canteen so it is about 3 days later than his normal date, at least for my guy. The level will be determined by points and his counselor will tell him when they meet. Took us about 4 weeks to talk to the counselor.
Stay strong, God is in charge and wants what is best for all of us.

hi this is my first time on here my son is in wasco he has been there for 25 days and he writes me all the time and i write him every night but any ways does anyone no if there is a limit to the amount of money they can spend at the store at one time and how long does it take to find out what leval they are oh and his money went with him he goes to the store on tuesday we live in kern county so he didn't have far to go

worried momma
04-12-2005, 07:54 PM
hi I got great news today I am aproved I am going to see my son on saturday and I can't wait does anyone no if it is behind glass or not I am a little scared but so excited at the same time I am about 40 miles from wasco so I am going to leave home about 6:45 :D

Colossians3Two
04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Congrats worried momma on your approval! I haven't visited Wasco, but I'm sure others have and will respond to your post. Take a deep breath and enjoy the time you have with your son!

God Bless! :D

Bec Marie
04-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Congratulations on your visit and welcome to PTO!!! :D

If your son is in reception at Wasco then your visit will be 1 hour behind glass. If he is mainline then you will have a longer contact visit!

Either way.... Enjoy your visit!!!

worried momma
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
thank you guys for all the input I found out I can see him sat & sun so of course Iam going to from what I hear he could be moved far from home I sure hope this makes hin relize drugs are NO GOOD and changes his ways this is his first time in prison and he hates it so I have high hopes this will open his eyes again thank you all for being here I can sleep alot better now that I found this site will let you all no how my visits go love worried mom god bless

worried momma
04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I saw my son and we had such great visits of course not long enough but it was still wonderful to see him now I feel alot better noing he is ok he looks great already gettin fat he said the food is really good hey does anyone no about the swartsnager verses valdez my son was telling me about if it passes he will do 35% of his time he wanted me to find out about it I am going to see him again next week well thats it I am still on the really in high spirts now that I got to see him:D :) :o ;)

c's baby
04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
there's a thread going about 35%. That is usually when they are 1/2 timers and they get to a fire camp. The schwartzenager / valdez, i am not sure about that. maybe someone else can shed a light on that one.

formercon
04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Wasco is a horrible experience. Your money will follow, but it will take about 2 months. What can you do? Nothing. He will learn to do without store and rely on fellow inmates to help him out at first.

Also, mail will take at least a month before he receives any. It is really hard that first month or so because you get no phone calls and no mail. That makes no store seem not so bad. When your locked up mail is everything.

Hello All,
Thank you very much,

MamaSheila
05-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi and welcome to PTO.

Love, Sheila:thumbsup: :D :) ;) :p :o :yes: :hee: :wave: :yay: :dance: :clap: :beer: :hifive: :rock:

calichic
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome to PTO, and I'm glad for all the replies on the post. Very informational! :)

John S.
05-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Depending on the county jail he's in it can take several weeks for his money to follow him. The bigger the jail the worse as a rule. As a new arrival he will be able to get what's called a "FISH DRAW." What that means is he will get to draw out of order according to his last two digits on his ID card. The lower the numbers the sooner he can draw. The higher the numbers the later in the month. There're only three draws per month. The first week of each month is canteen restock/inventory week, and they're closed to draws. You can still (and should) send him money to his FINAL destination. That way it's not delayed in transit. There is no limit to the amount you can send, but there is a limit to how much he can draw out. It varies depending upon his custody level, his job, behavior, etc. ONLY send postal money orders, and MAKE SURE his CDC # is on it. That's his account number in prison. If you send personal checks they can take up to ten days to clear depending on your bank. Any questions should go to his counselor, or the inmate trust office at his current inst. Ok?

Brotherallme
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
My brother got transfered there a few weeks ago and he got the letter I sent in 3 days i have received 4 letters from him already. He also got the paper and envelopes I sent. Also the money orders .:confused:

goddesssurvival
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Good info.

Tamitha
10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Here's my 2 cents. The money does follow them within days. Here's the catch.....their day to go to canteen depends on their CDC# so if the money gets on their books after their date, or even the same day, they will have to wait several weeks until their turn comes around again. When my boyfriend went to Wasco the first time he kept all of his $, just like was said earlier, until they are mainlined, then they keep 55%. But when he violated and went back to Wasco they immediately kept the 55%. Did that make sense? I hope so. Good luck!