View Full Version : Want to share your story?

Lycheecy
09-27-2004, 07:39 PM
With a father in jail in London, England, I know how hard it is to be away from loved ones. I am also in journalism school and very interested in writing a story about how prison affects not only those sent away, but also those who stay at home. With so many prisons being built upstate, and most prisoners coming from the cities, the trek to see loved ones becomes a central part of being apart. I was curious to know if anyone would be interested in talking with me about their experiences, and sharing the bus ride with me up to the prison your loved one is at. Being in the same position as you, I know how much of a delicate situation this is and would not do anything to jeopardize it.

I have a deadline coming up, and would love to talk to anyone willing to share with me as soon as possible. Also, if anyone is interested in talking with me and is also going to see a loved one this weekend...please let me know.

This piece is for class, so it is not something that is intended to be published.

If you can be of any help, please contact me.

Thank you for listening,
Lychee

fellowtraveler
10-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi Lychee,

Has your deadline passed...how have things turned out...? I think the topic that you chose for your paper is great, and it is wonderful to have a fledging journalist coming up who is informed about and sympathetic to inmate and inmate/family issues.

God bless and God's speed to you!

fellowtraveler

rywill
10-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Hello Lycheecy--

I think that your topic is a good one and has some many stories to be told. I find that there are so many dimensions to this life, to include visits. It is often the untold story of families that are on the other side of the wall. I think that victim's rights and their families devastion need to be told; and in addition, there are also other families that suffer; especially the children.

Maintaining relationships over distance is difficult enough; but when one party is the only one available to make the trip can be taxing. I hope that you find or found someone to take you up on the offer. I would love to read your piece when it's complete. Come back and share it here.