View Full Version : Prisoner Support Ribbons

lilivoryangel
09-25-2004, 07:16 PM
NO (http://www.prribbons.com/) WEB ADDRESSES PLEASE
This site was given to me and I started thinking that this would be neat for us to do. We could decided on a ribbon color and post on our cars, homes, etc. to show solidarity and people would ask what they mean and give us an opportunity to share about our efforts etc. What do you think?

sfrazier
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
I think it sounds like a good idea, also cuz so many people dont know who they can talk to because people always say negative things but you would know if you saw someone in their car or something that you could feel comfortable around them or talking to them cuz they know what your going through. You wouldnt have to feel alone.

1dayatatime
09-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Sounds good-

One

kintml2u
09-25-2004, 07:49 PM
some group I belonged to years ago...on prison issues, actually sent out a ribbon like the yellow ones and pink ones you see out now.

Only...this one was an actual ribbon, one black and one white layered.

I believe it stood for prison reform or something prison related.

Just...can't find that file in my head....

Charliesgirl
09-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a GREAT idea.

lilivoryangel
09-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok, let's decide on a color, I think the other group uses orange an dlet's plan on a date by which we all agree to have them on our cars/mailboxes etc. Let's also plan to tell the rest of PTO.........I think this would be such a great way to show our soildarity especially during election time. I wish I was good at making bows and then I could make a big one for my house! Also, if we decide on orange, I bet we can get a good deal on ribbon after Hlloween! I am planning to use our ribbon during the holidays too. It will stand out amongst all the red and green. I am hell-bent and determined to draw attention to our cause and make a staement because I am tired of seeing how our loved ones are treated......................

imissyoubighead
09-26-2004, 06:07 PM
I think thats a great idea, i think orange would be good should we just use that? :confused:

Jennifer_04
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Orange sounds good to me too. Let's spread the word around PTO!

nubiantwin
09-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Has anyone ordered any of these ribbons? If so, what response have you received?

swtmel
09-30-2004, 03:03 PM
orange it is...lets start to get noticed in this world. Who is going to share this with the rest of PTO?

prisonbud
09-30-2004, 05:39 PM
This all sounds great, when do we start and what design, the same as the others out there?
Buddy

lilivoryangel
09-30-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok, I am making my own ribbons from orange ribbon. Just a basic ribbon I suppose. Let's put this into action next week, especially before the election! How about PJ sharing it with the whole board since she is a moderator. PJ??????????????

nubiantwin
09-30-2004, 06:57 PM
I plan to make my own ribbon(s) to wear. However, I'd still like to know if anyone has ordered the prison reform decal for your car and what reactions if any did you receive? I'm asking because I'd like to order the decal for my car also.

lilivoryangel
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I didn't even notice the decal for sale. I will have to check it out. I will probably order one for my car.

nubiantwin
10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm going to make the ribbon that I'm going to wear. It'll be orange (the main color) with a little denim blue on 1/2 of the ribbon. I'm adding the denim because that's the color he wore. He wears street clothes now. Also, I ordered the orange decal for my car yesterday.

MsLynn
10-01-2004, 03:49 PM
It a way for us to show are loved ones ,we are looking out for them and we are not hiding in shame. My son feels he is going to be forget ( 18 to 40 years ) I think we should wear a t-shirt them shows are support......

yana
10-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I think it's a great idea, hopefully more will catch on!!!

kintml2u
10-01-2004, 04:21 PM
I found the one I was talking about...here is a caption and the link to the site where I found the information! It is on After Seventeen Years...

http://arpofasy.freeyellow.com/ (scroll down)

PRISON REFORM AWARENESS RIBBON
The black and white striped Prison Reform Awareness Ribbon was created by Chris Jackson, in California,to publicize the human rights violations occurring with alarming frequency in American prisons. The stripes were chosen as a representation of the traditional striped uniforms prisoners were and are being forced to wear. We hope the striped ribbon will eventually become a universal symbol of human rights for prisoners.

It is true that most prisoners broke the law, but they pay for that with the loss of their freedom, rights and privileges. They are still entitled to be treated with the same dignity and respect all humans should be afforded. Sadly, abuse of power, corruption and brutality have become so commonplace within Departments of Corrections that prisoners are often treated worse than animals. Correctional Officers are often trained to think of prisoners and their loved ones as "the enemy", and treat them accordingly. Violence, injuries, death and medical neglect are daily occurrences in most prisons, too often at the hands of prison officials. Rehabilitation and education have become almost non-existent.

The public needs to know what is REALLY happening in its own backyards! Why? Because when the prisoners who are being so mistreated & oppressed are released into their neighborhoods,having often become better & angrier criminals, THEY will have to deal with the consequences! What affects one, affects us all! PLEASE wear the striped ribbon to publicize human rights violations within prisons and to support restorative justice. Only with public support, can we hope to change the bloody tide of oppression and persecution that is the way of life inside the walls!

Chris Jackson: Campaign Founder

kintml2u
10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Found the original writing on the Prison Reform Ribbons at this link...

http://www.cufj.org/cufj/ribbon.htm

lilivoryangel
10-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Interesting! I guess when I see black/white I think of POW/MIA. What does everyone wanat to do? Still orange? I bought some tonight at Walmart for a $1.00 and I am thinking of going to the dollar store to get a big orange outdoor ribbon for my house. I hope we can spread the word on PTO. I didn't want to post if PJ is willing to do that for us! I will be wearing my ribbon tomorrow and on..............................:)

nubiantwin
11-01-2004, 05:01 PM
I ordered my car ribbon from NO (http://www.prribbons.com/) WEB ADDRESSES PLEASE. It's not magnatized so I went to a sign shop, as the person that runs that ribbon support site suggested, and purchased some magnatized vinyl. I traced the ribbon on the vinyl and cut it out. I put in on the back of my car. Also I had a t-shirt made. It has the ribbon on the front and the heart shaped handcuffs with roses and his initials on the back.

~BabyG~
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Where can you order the orange decals for your car? I sure would like to get on myself!!

nubiantwin
11-02-2004, 04:48 PM
BabyG, I'm going to send you an IM with the site.

LoveMyRock
11-08-2004, 02:43 PM
can u send me a pm with the site too? i liked your shirt too btw

Barbara
11-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I would like some ribbons too, where does the money go?

MrsPhil
11-08-2004, 04:34 PM
BabyG, I'm going to send you an IM with the site.
Could you please send me the website also for the car riibon? Thanks

nubiantwin
11-08-2004, 04:35 PM
It's my understanding that the money goes for the cost of the ribbon and to assist her in fighting for prison reform.

nubiantwin
11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
LoveMyRock - Thanks for the compliment!