View Full Version : What does catching a case mean?

BryansGirl
09-25-2004, 04:23 PM
My fiance said he caught a case for lieing to a staff member, and he says that he has to go to court for it can someone please explain this to me?

chiquita76
09-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Catching a case is exactly that. He caught another case which he will have to go to court for and eventually get more time.

MrsMalcom
09-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Catching a case = having new criminal charges filed against you while in prison. It happens when the prison contacts the District Attorney about an "incident" at the prison and the district attorney chooses to PROSECUTE THE CASE. Bottom line - it's more time added to his sentence if he is found guilty.

Lying, however isn't usually enough of a reason to "catch a case". I am 99% sure that there is more to it. Ask him what REALLY happened when you are on a visit... cuz they monitor the phones, and anything he says can and will be used against him.

Good luck!

coolchik4sure
09-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Maybe he is being "charged" by the prison for lying to a staff member, and has to go to the disciplinary hearing. If found guilty, he may have goodtime taken away (some goodtime), lose canteen privlidges, and numerous other "punishments".

I am certainly no expert on this, but that is just another possibility.

California Sunshine
09-25-2004, 05:37 PM
My boyfriend or whatever he is now (long story) "caught a case" that was refered to the DA.The DA did not pick it up and press charges but he did get more time added to his sentence from the prison.

Retired-101
12-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi there, I know this is kinda old, but let us know how things are going or how it went.

When I was in prison, the term was, "catching a charge", which meant for example if I got in a fight with another inmate. If I was clearly in the wrong, then the other inmate might be able to press charges on me. That means street court in addition to any charges the prison will lay on me. Another example is if they do a locker search on you and find contraband....like drugs. That will likely bring a charge that you can find yourself getting more time added to your sentence.

However, based on what you said, I can't see how an inmate can be prosecuted for lying...that is a very weak charge, even to a staff member, and is hardly worth street court. However, it is very likely an inmate can be charged with not telling the officer the truth and can be punished. But in that case, he has to go in front of a group like a Disciplinary Hearing Officer, or DHO. If they find him guilty, they can punish him by sending him to the hole, losing gaintime, losing certain privileges, or even demotion. Maybe even a combination if serious enough. I almost had that put on me in NC. Anyway, hope that helps..