View Full Version : lost my job because of backround check

Crissymn
09-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Well I had a good job for about 6 months. Until they wanted to hire me on full time and conducted a backround check. how on the application i left the annyoing question blank. doesnt matter i still got fired did not even give me a chance to dispute it. any how does anyone know any good jobs in cleveland ohio for a ex felon?:mad:

rottn
09-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Ohio is good about background checks. What field are you in? Career builder has a site and you can check that one out.

Crissymn
09-24-2004, 08:05 PM
I basically do office work and dispatching. What sucks is that this is the second job i have been fired from. I start out as a temp and then when they go to hire me on they do a check and i get screwed. It is not that i am not doing a good job. This last position i was dispatching and i got offered at starting salary of 30,000 a year with benfits because i was a good worker i was there 6 months. However, they ran a check and i got screwed. It sucks I did somthing stupid and now i cant do anything about it. people dont want to hear the reasons behind what you did they just see the charges. oh well i just want to find somthing perment and get settled already. what is this career building thing?

jftazzy102
09-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Crissymn, I am so sorry that you lost your job. You know I understand to a certain level on back ground checks and sometimes that is a good thing. But the part that bothers me is people can't see past that "Felon, convict" and that sucks. I see how hard my husband had it when he recieved probabtion back from Texas. He lost so many jobs because the back ground check that he could no longer provide for his family. Of course my family is like he hasn't changed a bit and it did no good to explain to them about the background check. They don't "get it". That is one of the reason he bought a trailor was to sell it to make money for his family. Stupid thing was he didn't get a reciept and back to texas and then back to florida for the trailor (long story). I guess the point I am trying to make is DONT give up. I know it is hard. I am praying for you that you get another job. And that it be better than what you had. Love jeanne

asweetangel99
09-24-2004, 08:14 PM
careerbuilder.com is a really good job search site... u can post ur resume, and apply for jobs... there is so much i has to offer. check it out :thumbsup:

Crissymn
09-24-2004, 08:17 PM
thanks. I am not giving up yet i am just very frusted with the whole thing. It is annoying after you finally get settled in get along with everyone and think you are doing okay and able to get everything in your life straight and then it is oh ur fired. Does any one know if you are able to dispute what they found? For example everything is correct however i thought they were supposed to mail you a letter saying they did a backround check and that it could be used angist you, and if so if you want to dispute anything? They didnt even give me the option to comment on it. I am just hopening to find some work soon!

Crissymn
09-24-2004, 08:17 PM
thank for the site i will look into it tonight!

pkw331
10-07-2004, 11:29 AM

pkw331
10-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Just to let you know you are not the only one this has happened to. I am doing telemarketing now because of background checks. When the word gets out, you're screwed and they all start talking. I've been on probation 8 years with two more to go and its getting harder and harder to find employment in Arizona (this state sucks for felons). I haven't given up, not YET anyway. I am close to saying fuck it though.

Pam In Phoenix AZ

vim1946
10-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Crissymn: Ohio law says they don't have to even give you a reason for firing you within the first year! But, being engaged to a long term incarcerated felon and the mother of a son with a felony conviction, (my fiance is still doing a bid in Texas, my son is in Ohio here with me), you better tell them. The laws here in Ohio are so bad that if they want, they can charge you with fraud if they do a background check and find out you have a conviction and you didn't tell them. Anyone that complains about Texas should come live in Ohio for a while. We have a Governor that everytime he screws up the budget, we have an emergency session and he raises our taxes! That's why I'm moving back to Texas.

But, bottom line is, you can't keep on not telling them. It's going to keep on biting you in the butt!

MsChiku
10-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Awwe (((crissymn))) I'm sorry to hear this bad news!! That's the spirit girlfriend, don't give up. Yes, Careerbuilder.com is a good site! Keep your head up :thumbsup:

Retired-10
10-29-2004, 06:02 AM
This thread made me panic because crissymn just got a great new job. Someone replied again to this old thread and I thought she lost her job...

Still got it, right crissymn? :)

MsChiku
10-29-2004, 06:40 AM
This thread made me panic because crissymn just got a great new job. Someone replied again to this old thread and I thought she lost her job...

Still got it, right crissymn? :)

(((mlg78))) I didn't realize this was an old thread...thanks for pointing that out. Now that you mention it I thought she was one I congratulated just about a month or so ago :thumbsup: Thanks for the FYI. Sabrena ;) Wheew! That's uplifting :D

Crissymn
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
OH my sorry i really have not checked this thread Yes, I got a new job thank you all for the congrats! And even better i got unemployment for my weeks off!! They decided firing me for a felony was not just cause so it all worked out I got a paided vacation and a new job lol

Just LA
11-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey, good for you! I'm in the same boat. I used to make six figures until one stupid mistake put me in prison for a short time. Even though I've got a college degree and an MBA and have 15 years experience, one white-collar offense turns that all to garbage apparently. I'm now hoping to land a $10 per hour job through a temp agency. All I can say is that I refuse to be defeated. It really stinks when a company passes you by even though they REALLY love your resume, all because you tell them about a felony conviction. I've noticed that everyone says most felons, especially first-time offenders, deserve a second chance. However, they seem to believe it's up to someone else to give the second chance. They say you've paid your debt to society, but every time you apply for a job, they hold out another demand for payment. People say "we all make mistakes" but they also seem to define your entire future by the one mistake you made that landed you with a record. Still, in spite of all this, there are companies out there which are run by people who DO believe in redemption. You just have to keep trying. I certainly hope that's not a naive opinion!

With all the laws in this country designed to make it easier to convict people of more and more crimes, it might be wise to remember that that an ex-offender may be your neighbor, cousin, or spouse. If they've paid their debt to society, haven't they a right to find a place in it? :(

Crissymn
11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
I agree with you it really sucks...i am glad i mananged to get a decent paying job. and the unemployment really helps my lawyer says i have a suit angist them but i have no money to pay him plus he says not worth it they will drag it out forever most likely. Well i wish you luck in your job hunting!

rywill
11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Congrats. I am in Columbus now, but am from Cleveland. I was unsure of how difficult finding a job in Ohio has been. It will be my next focus, after he get sout and comes to Ohio.

JennyMCa
11-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Well one of the many reasons I don't live in Ohio is the way in which they "brand" residents there.

At one time actually as late as 1996 when I finally moved out of that annoying state I had been diagnosed with a seizure disorder. They dole out these "2 party" licenses which can mean you have anything from a hangnail to a felonly conviction (or at least that's how it was)

Then in it's infinite wisdom the State of Ohio decided it should require a State DL or ID when applying for work. Needless to say no one gets hired by many employers with these two part licenses unless the employer understands you might have 1 misdemeanor or no record at all except for having been sick (with one of 14 conditions)

I really hate my home state!

We could try to fight them about this 2 part license or you can all just plan to eventually live somewhere else (i recommend the live somewhere else option since almost anyplace is better!)

Hugs

Jenny California Cool

karma1st
11-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Just registered. Me, parloed in 1978, straight since then except for occasional substance abuse :-(
I got Finance degree in 1990 and 9 year accounting career, and my policy during that period--really since 1980 was don't tell or lie. That worked fine until the world wide web. I'm changing careers now for various reasons, but I can tell you, the folk that hire for those jobs aren't equipped to deal with these situations, they avoid them and will lie and be dishonest and violate their own company policy to get rid of you--there's irony there isn't there?
Imagine that, being dishonest to protect the company from you. hahaha

just have to laugh.

The decision makers can check you out in less than 10 mins, had it done to me. The best policy I've found,and you can never tell about what temps are going to do, if its just for a paycheck lie or go by gut instinct. If its a career opportunity tell the truth. Why? Because if they keep you it'll be for the same convoluted logic that they would have fired you for, for lying versus being honest. It goes to character. If you lied, they don't know you so that opens the door for them to get paranoid. If you told the truth, you are a Girl Scout in their eyes.

I'm waiting on word, from just this situation right now, should know tommorrow. Bottom line, truth rules. Sooner or later you'll find that job.

I feel your pain LA, my situation was different but I got tired of hiding my background from everyone. It makes you a different person, you feel bad for it.

"If they've paid they're debt to society (bbwwaahhhaaa whatever) haven't they earned their right to find a place in it."

--couldn't agree more. But, I have to say, this is land of opportunity too. Start a business. I'm playing devils advocate here too, so lighten up.

Keep up the job hunts, stick to a system and don't vary. You will find good work. IF its something you really value, tell them the truth, if it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be. And my new take on that is, why would you want to work for them then anyway?

Brad

Hey, good for you! I'm in the same boat. I used to make six figures until one stupid mistake put me in prison for a short time. Even though I've got a college degree and an MBA and have 15 years experience, one white-collar offense turns that all to garbage apparently. I'm now hoping to land a $10 per hour job through a temp agency. All I can say is that I refuse to be defeated. It really stinks when a company passes you by even though they REALLY love your resume, all because you tell them about a felony conviction. I've noticed that everyone says most felons, especially first-time offenders, deserve a second chance. However, they seem to believe it's up to someone else to give the second chance. They say you've paid your debt to society, but every time you apply for a job, they hold out another demand for payment. People say "we all make mistakes" but they also seem to define your entire future by the one mistake you made that landed you with a record. Still, in spite of all this, there are companies out there which are run by people who DO believe in redemption. You just have to keep trying. I certainly hope that's not a naive opinion!

With all the laws in this country designed to make it easier to convict people of more and more crimes, it might be wise to remember that that an ex-offender may be your neighbor, cousin, or spouse. If they've paid their debt to society, haven't they a right to find a place in it? :(

sonjaprincess
11-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Having worked in HR for large corporations and staffing agencies the best thing is to disclose your background information upfront when asked on the application. MOST companies do not AUTOMATICALLY exclude you because of convictions. It certainly depends on the conviction AND the position you are applying for.

The information is readily available to them to verify it and it is generally pretty accurate. Their is pending legislation in some states that will REQUIRE certain companies to do background checks if they are not doing them now.

I know one company I worked for was lenient about it then we had a situation with an employee who assaulted another employee and the company was held liable because we were the deepest pockets... they claimed we should have known what type of employee we hired and protected our other employees and clients from them. The world is becoming so lawsuit happy it really creates a harship when you want to be liberal.

Good luck with your job searches. Go to the websites for career information... polish and repolish your resumes... do a creative cover letter and prepare for your interviews. Be ready to talk positively about your conviction information and hold your head high and tell what you have learned from your experience. Give examples that illustrate your dedication and productivity. You won't win them all. No one does... but the chances are better if you prepare.

:thumbsup:

Crissymn
11-18-2004, 07:24 PM
One good resource one can check out espically if they need info on being bonded is the National hire network. It provides job info and who one needs to contact for each state!