View Full Version : Article: Kansas City Cops Join 'Fergie' In Weight-Loss Challenge

JJT
09-23-2004, 12:55 PM
'Fergie' Challenges KC Cops To Lose Weight

Teams Of Officers Will Compete Until Dec. 31

UPDATED: 10:07 AM EDT September 22, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Britain's Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, is challenging Kansas City police officers to lose weight.

Ferguson is becoming a Kansas City regular as she tours the country as a spokeswoman for Weight Watchers, reported KMBC-TV in Kansas City. She often picks the city as a stop for her motivational rallies.

Ferguson, who is fondly known as Fergie, speaks candidly about her very public battle with weight, and on her visit Tuesday, she challenged 20 members of the Kansas City Police Department to join her battle by joining Weight Watchers.

Two teams of officers will compete to see who loses the most.

"If they want to eat fast food, they can do that if they want to. It's so easy for anyone to do this. It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle," Ferguson said.

Police taking the challenge said the program's flexibility is important.

"We don't get to choose when or where we eat and frequently grab things on the run when in the car, and I think we'll be more motivated to take our time and do things right," Detective Cheryl Barrios said.

Ferguson talks a lot about emotional eating. For her, the stress of public life led to overeating. For police, it is the stress of the job and the emotional and haunting situations they deal with every day.

"Emotions. That's what I did for 44 years. I suppressed my emotions with food," Ferguson said.

"We substitute sharing and talking because we're supposed to be so tough, and for me, it was food," Sgt. Alesia Prince said.

Police who volunteered for the challenge will attend support meetings and follow the Weight Watchers plan of their choice until the end of the year. Weight Watchers will give the winning team $1,000 to the charity of choice. Ferguson will match that.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

<http://treets.kirotv.com/svc/lnk.cfm?l=41826513&t=1 (http://treets.kirotv.com/svc/lnk.cfm?l=41826513&t=1)>