View Full Version : I need help

TragicsLady
09-14-2004, 12:02 AM
I started working out when my fiance went down but I'm starting to bulk up " I've always been thick so when I work out I get even more muscles " I don't want muscles I just want to drop sizes and get toned what can I do?? HELP!!!

mama 4U always
09-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Hi, my friend who is 63 also has that problem. She loves to go to the gym and lift weights and do all those work-out things. But when she starts to bulk up she has to limt her excercise to walking only. She has had great success on the South Beach Diet. I however am an Atkins Advocate and do nothing but treadmill. It works fine for me, I am 60 BTW.
cmom

strongernow
09-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Have you ever considered Yoga or Pilates? These type of exercises stretch and lengthen your muscles rather then cause them to get large and bluk up, giving your muscle a nice definitely and "sleek" appearance.

meadow22
09-14-2004, 08:50 AM
hey! my mom has this same problem. we have a personal trainer that we work out with 2 times a week. i am totally opposite i am so skinny that i need to gain muscle. she has my mom do lots of cardio which helps out tons to lose inches. she does some kind of cardio about a 1/2 hour everyday which is working great. also she has my mom use less weights, she uses no more than 8lbs and more repetitions and sets. where i use heavier weight and less repetitions but the same amount of sets. i hope this helps you some. if you got any more ?'s just let me know :)

Cottontail
09-14-2004, 09:05 AM
The best way to burn fat and not bulk up is cardio. You might want to try more heartpumping activities and limit the weight training to every other day. I take kickboxing three times a week and that seems to target the trimming down and toning up.

Also as others are saying, Pilates is good for toning. It;s a great muscle strengthener and increases flexibilty. Not to mention it's a great to clear your mind. I LOVE Yoga too!

Ravenslove
09-14-2004, 09:34 AM
the ladies have already mentioned pilates and yoga for lengthening and toning. I also do tia chi. Its easy (but works). I've noticed a big difference. If I use weights i bulk up very quickly.

TragicsLady
09-14-2004, 10:41 AM
thank you all for the advice All i've mainly ben doing is crunches, stair stepper, pelvic lift, so just do more reps ans not worry bout how many i'm doing??